10 June 2011

Dessert Pizza (Cooking with Kids, week #1)


Normally, I do all of my baking while Jordan is at school. I find it's just easier that way; I can go from baking to cleaning to photographing without worrying that I'm neglecting her or that she's watching too much TV. It's quiet and I can take the time to photograph and make recipe notations while I work. I've got a schedule and a system for it all.

But all of a sudden I realized something. Something important. Something that was going to disrupt my schedule.

Summer vacation. Endless days of heat and no school. NO SCHOOL. Weeks of finding outings for Jordan so she doesn't make my head explode get bored. Let's just put it this way: Jordan is a very active, very full-of-energy only child. If I want to do anything that's not entirely with her, she's usually watching TV, because that's just how she is.

So I had a brainstorm the other day. Why not try and include her in my baking this summer? Why not try and find some easy, kid-friendly recipes she will have the patience to help with? It'll create a fun activity she and I can do together. I can let her drive the ideas so she can have some ownership of them. And I can blog about it all, of course. Because I know some of you out there are in the same boat. Summer vacation is awesome...for about a week. Then the kids get bored. If you're like me, you take in as many additional kids as you can as often as their parents will give them to you, for sanity's sake. Cooking with Kids can be a fun addition to any parent summer survival guide.

So here we go, Cooking with Kids, week #1: Dessert Pizzas.

Jordan did this with a friend who was over for dinner and a movie. I thought they would have fun making their own dessert. Of course, I had planned it as being this whole drawn-out thing, and it took them about five minutes, but they had fun anyway.

The pizzas are made with actual pizza dough. Use one pound of your favorite pizza dough, homemade or store-bought. This will make about 4-6 dessert pizzas, depending on the size you make them. Pre-bake them and let them cool a bit so the kiddos don't burn their fingers.


Gather all your pizza ingredients: melted chocolate chips for the "sauce" and things like M&Ms, jelly beans, or marshmallows for the toppings.


Give the kids a basting brush and let them paint the pre-baked crust with the chocolate sauce.


Then let them decorate their pizzas as they please. You could use anything for toppings - just raid your pantry. I bet there is still some Valentine's Day/Easter/Last Day of School candy in there you can use.

Once the kids are done decorating you can slice the pizzas and serve them. Or, if you want to puff up marshmallows or melt some extra chocolate on top, heat them in the oven for just a minute or two. Any way you serve these, the kids are going to love them. It's a sweet treat and they helped make it - how could they not enjoy it?  I hope your kids love this idea as much as Jordan did.

Happy Summer!


Dessert Pizza
Printer-Friendly Recipe


Ingredients:
1 pound pizza dough (homemade or store-bought)
1 bag chocolate chips
M&M's, marshmallows, jelly beans, or other candies for decorating


Directions:
  1. Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. 
  2. Divide your pizza dough into 4-6 individual pieces (depending on the size you wish to make them). Roll them out into a circle. Place on the parchment lined cookie sheets and bake until done, about 5-8 minutes (or according to your package directions).
  3. Melt your chocolate chips in a microwave safe bowl. Assemble all your "toppings".
  4. Paint the pizzas with the melted chocolate and top it with assorted candies. If you wish to melt the candies, bake for an additional 1-2 minutes. Slice and serve to happy kids.
Yield: 4-6 individual pizzas

Source: idea from Food Network Magazine

This recipe is linked with:







Labels: ,

9 Comments:

At June 10, 2011 at 8:19 AM , Blogger briarrose said...

Sounds like a great summertime plan to keep everyone entertained. ;)

These little dessert pizzas are just cute as heck. Happy food is awesome food. I must make some....I think I'll use some Nutella to hold my toppings on though. Can't wait to see the next treats.

 
At June 10, 2011 at 4:45 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

So cute!! I love the idea of a project for the little ones!!

This would be perfect for my Foodie Friday linky party - stop by this week and link up!

 
At June 10, 2011 at 9:15 PM , Blogger Pastry Chef Baking said...

Cute idea! I don't have kids but have plenty of friends who do and I used to bake with my nieces when they were younger. There are a lot of fun, easy recipes you can make with kids. They love "helping" and the important thing is having fun with them. I taught my nieces how to bake and it's wonderful to see them make stuff on their own now, including trying out my recipes :).

 
At June 11, 2011 at 7:06 AM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

@The Pastry Chef
I know, it's so fun to watch them learn and have fun. My daughter is finally to the age she can help and it's so exciting. Thanks for reading!

 
At June 12, 2011 at 7:50 PM , Blogger KB and Whitesnake said...

What a wonderful idea.

 
At June 13, 2011 at 5:16 AM , Blogger cookies and cups said...

What a fun idea! Perfect for a party instead of an ice cream bar...a dessert pizza bar :)

 
At June 15, 2011 at 12:05 PM , Blogger Christina said...

These are so cute, great idea!

 
At August 22, 2011 at 2:33 AM , Blogger MisYahd said...

Kids are very impressive cooks. They really know everything about sweets. I hope my son will be a good chef one day.

Caterers In New York

 
At April 17, 2012 at 4:36 AM , Blogger Debra Kapellakis said...

Fantastic idea. thank you for sharing

 

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment! Reading your comments is better than eating pie...and if you know me that's saying a lot. :)

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home