30 May 2011

S'mores Cookies

My daughter is a Daisy Scout.  (A Daisy is the early stages of Girl Scouts.) It's so cute, really.  She's got a blue vest with a Girl Scout pin. And she already has a few patches. I mean, I was a Brownie when I was young so I expected her to get patches. But, nowadays, they get patches for their birthday and losing a tooth. There was even a Father/Daughter dance. Picture this: a bunch of Kindergarteners all dressed up going to a dance with their daddies. So freakin' cute, let me tell you!


Anyway, after we got through all the cookie sales ("Jordan" sold 115 boxes) the leaders decided to have a barbecue to celebrate their accomplishments.  I, of course, volunteered to bring cookies. Because, um, I have a food blog, remember? Perfect fit. But what kind of cookie do I bring to a Girl Scout function?




S'mores cookies, of course. It was around this time I was on the quest to find a perfect chocolate chip cookie. I used the traits of what I loved in so many other recipes and came up with this cookie base. But plain chocolate chip cookies, while awesome, can be boring. I mean, go to a potluck and you'll find three choices, many from big-box grocery stores. Awhile ago, Picky Palate (awesome blog, check her out!) made several recipes involving stuffing things in chocolate chip cookies. One such recipe was stuffing an entire s'more into a cookie. Genious.


I didn't want to do the same thing she did, but I wanted something along those lines. So I thought, why not use marshmallows and chocolate covered graham crackers? It's all the ingredients of s'mores, chopped up into a cookie.




These are super easy to make, they just take a little extra time. Make the cookie dough and scoop out a portion. Make a thumprint in the center, add two mini marshmallows, and roll the cookie into a ball. The chocolate covered grahams are already chopped up in the cookie dough and the cookies will have a gooey marshmallow center.




Remember those Nestle commercials from when you were a kid? Where the kid pulled the cookie apart and the chocolate chips made chocolate strings? I always tried to do that and never succeeded. Works with marshmallow centers, though!


Now, the one thing I would change (and have reflected in the recipe) is that I would freeze my mini marshmallows before stuffing them in the cookie. Some of the cookies opened up a little and the marshmallow stayed in tact because it was on the top of the cookie. But, in the cookies that the marshmallows stayed inside, the marshmallow sort of melted into the cookie. After the fact, I remembered a recipe from Mrs. Fields Cookie Book that I used when I was young, that used marshmallows like this. Her recipe called for frozen marshmallows. *Lightbulb Moment*




I made these the day before the BBQ for Daisies. Then it rained the day of the event, so it was postponed for two weeks in the future. I froze the cookies. Two weeks passed, it rained again. So, these cookies were in the freezer for a full month before using. And they tasted as good as when they went in the freezer, so make them ahead if you need too!


**************
Happy Memorial Day everyone. Let's all remember our heroes this day. To my dad and my step-father in-law, (both former navy members and Vietnam veterans) thank you for all that you've done. I appreciate you!


Enjoy!


S'mores Chocolate Chip Cookies
Printer-Friendly Recipe



Ingredients:
2 sticks butter
1 cup granulated sugar
¾ cup light brown sugar
2 large eggs
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
3 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
½ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup chocolate chips
1 ½ cups chopped fudge-covered grahams (Keebler or store brand)
72 mini marshmallows (plus or minus depending on how many cookies you make), frozen

Directions:
1.    Melt butter in a microwave safe bowl. Pour into an electric mixer fitted with paddle attachment. While still hot, add both sugars and mix on low until combined. Let sit to cool for a few minutes.
2.    While butter mixture is cooling, combine flour, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl. Stir and set aside.
3.    Turn mixer (with butter mixture bowl attached) on low. Add eggs, one at a time, mixing completely.  Mix in vanilla extract. Add flour mixture to the wet ingredients and mix until combined. Add chocolate chips and chopped fudge-covered grahams and stir to combine.
4.    Chill for 30 minutes to one hour, until cooled.
5.    Preheat oven to 350°. Form cookies using  a 2-tablespoon (medium) cookie scoop,Make a large indentation in the center and add two frozen mini marshmallows. Wrap dough around marshmallows and seal to combine. Bake for 10-12 minutes (depending on size). My cookies baked in 11 minutes. Let cool for 5 minutes, then remove from pans to cool completely.

Yield: 3 dozen


This recipe is linked with:








Labels: , ,

31 Comments:

At May 31, 2011 at 11:42 PM , Blogger Candice Suter.....Sweetstuff said...

These look pretty yummy! May have to give them a try!

 
At June 1, 2011 at 6:54 AM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

@Candy "Sweetstuff"
Thanks! They were definitely addicting. Thanks for reading! :)

 
At June 1, 2011 at 11:55 AM , Anonymous sheila @ Elements said...

It's the perfect cookie for a scout, and I'm sure everyone loved them! Wish I could have a couple! :)

 
At June 1, 2011 at 12:40 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

@sheila @ Elements
Wouldn't it be awesome if we had food transporters, like on Star Trek? Then I could send you some. :) Thanks for reading!

 
At June 1, 2011 at 11:53 PM , Anonymous Brianne said...

I'm a STUIPD diet at the moment but these are fore being made once I hit my 30 day mark. Yum!!!

http://thepinckney5.blogspot.com/

 
At June 2, 2011 at 6:30 AM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

@Brianne
Good luck with your diet! Thanks for reading. :)

 
At June 3, 2011 at 4:25 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great idea! they look fantastic! Can't believe you got rained out twice...i would have been panicking about my cookies!! :)

Kristy @ www.darnneardomestic.com

 
At June 3, 2011 at 4:39 PM , Blogger SomethingDifferentForDinner said...

These look insane!! Love them!! I'm your newest follower! If you get a chance check out my blog!! Cheers!
Kelly @ SomethingDifferentForDinner.blogspot.com

 
At June 3, 2011 at 5:22 PM , Blogger Brandy K said...

Yum! What a great idea to put the chocolate covered grahams in the cookies. Love!! :)

 
At June 3, 2011 at 6:09 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

@Kristy
Oh, I was panicking alright! You never know how frozen cookies will act. But these behaved beautifully! Thanks for reading!

 
At June 3, 2011 at 6:10 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

@Brandy K
I can't believe I hadn't thought of it before! A cookie inside a cookie.
Thanks for reading!

 
At June 4, 2011 at 2:55 PM , Blogger Kim McCallie said...

These look really delicious! I love S'mores. I'd like to invite you to join my linky party on A Well-Seasoned Life's Sweet Indulgences Sunday!

http://www.wellseasonedlife.com/2011/06/sweet-indulgences-sunday-7.html

 
At June 5, 2011 at 7:20 AM , Blogger keatseatsblog said...

mmmmmmmmm these look so good. Did you see those smores cookies Eat Cake For Dinner did? I love the idea of these ingredients in a cookie. Maybe I'll do some for the bake sale!

 
At June 5, 2011 at 11:32 PM , Blogger D+B said...

These look so delicious!! I am your new follower! I will definitely be trying some of your recipes.. :) Also if you want to check out my blog it is For-The-Love-Of.blogspot.com I am new to this, but I am excited to share recipes, crafts, and make-up. If you would want to follow also that would be wonderful!!

 
At June 7, 2011 at 8:29 AM , Anonymous Goddess of Baking said...

These cookies are amazing! I made them yesterday and my boyfriend is already begging for more! I will be posting them on my blog later today! thanks for the recipe!

 
At June 7, 2011 at 5:44 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

@Goddess of Baking
I'm glad you liked them! I'll be looking forward to reading your post. :)

 
At June 7, 2011 at 7:41 PM , Blogger Donna said...

I am so in love with these! Summer = smores! Perfect timing:)

 
At June 7, 2011 at 7:58 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

@Donna
Thanks! I thought it would be a perfect fit. :) Thanks for reading!

 
At June 9, 2011 at 11:58 AM , Blogger Allison @ Alli 'n Son said...

YUM! Will you come over and make some for me?

Thank you so much for linking up with Sweet Tooth Friday! I hope to see you again this week.

 
At June 9, 2011 at 11:56 PM , Blogger Lisa said...

Ooohh, I could never resist cookies like those. All that gooey marshmallow makes me swoon. It made the Top 5 for last week's Sweets for a Saturday. Thanks for linking it up.

 
At June 10, 2011 at 9:06 PM , Blogger Tessa said...

These look awesome. I love the bits of gooey marshmallow in there. Thanks for stopping by my blog!

 
At June 10, 2011 at 9:22 PM , Blogger Downing Delectables said...

These look sooo good. I love s'mores and chocolate chip cookies. I will definitely have to try this.

 
At June 11, 2011 at 7:07 AM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

@Downing Delectables
Thanks, they are worth a try! Thank you for reading. :)

 
At June 11, 2011 at 8:23 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

New follower here! :) These look yummy1

I would also like to invite you to join in on Made it on Monday...A weekly recipe link party I host on my blog.

http://larkscountryheart.blogspot.com

*Link ups are open every WED-SAT.*

I hope you will join in on the fun :)

 
At June 11, 2011 at 12:26 PM , Blogger Katie @ This Chick Cooks said...

I bet all those kindergarteners dancing with their dads was just too cute :) These smores cookies sound so yummy and I love that the marshmallow is inside the cookie. How cool. I'm your newest follower.
Katie
Katie
Ps- I host a recipe swap every Wednesday and I'd love for you to come and share a recipe.

 
At July 5, 2011 at 8:31 AM , Blogger The Sweet Details said...

hey! just thought i'd let you know i featured you on my blog today! have a great week!

 
At July 5, 2011 at 10:26 AM , Blogger A Kitchen Witch said...

Yum.

 
At July 22, 2011 at 3:10 PM , Blogger Nicole said...

These look super YUMMY!!! We are having a block party this weekend and be making these to share for sure :)

Your newest follow!

If you'd like to check out my blogs, I'm crafting at http://kindredspiritscreations.blogspot.com/ and cooking at http://kindredspiritskitchen.blogspot.com/

 
At July 26, 2011 at 7:14 AM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

@Nicole
I hope they were a hit at your party! Thank you so much for your nice comment. :)

 
At August 15, 2011 at 1:23 PM , Anonymous Dawn said...

Yummy, will definitely try these!

 
At April 27, 2012 at 5:59 PM , Blogger cookies and cups said...

These look really great! I love the gooey-ness of them!

 

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment! Reading your comments is better than eating pie...and if you know me that's saying a lot. :)

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home