16 May 2011

Oatmeal Scotchies



When I was a kid, I hated butterscotch. Detested it. My mom would make rice crispy treats and add a package of butterscotch chips and I wouldn't touch them with a 10-foot pole. But, as I've gotten older, my picky palate has improved.

I mean, I love Almond Joy candy bars now. Like, love to the nth degree. And I used to hate coconut more than I hated butterscotch. So I thought it might be time to give butterscotch another try.

Recently I needed yet another cookie for a potluck. I wanted something without chocolate for those (confusing) people who don't like chocolate. I knew I wanted to make an oatmeal cookie and that's when it hit me to try butterscotch again (as an adult).


These cookies don't disappoint. I made a double batch (doubling the ingredients works just fine) and gave some away as gifts. Everyone I gave them too came back at me with a resounding "those were awesome!" I took them to the potluck and had the distinct pleasure of watching people go back to the table for seconds (and thirds). I wish I could claim the recipe as my own, but I can't. It's an adaption of the "Vanishing Oatmeal Cookie" recipe off an old box of Quaker Oats. I'm not even sure if they include that recipe on the canisters anymore, but I've had it written down since I was a teenager. It's my go-to oatmeal cookie.


If you think you're not a butterscotch fan, give these cookies a try and see if they can change your mind. I know they changed mine!

Enjoy!

Oatmeal Scotchies
by Crazy for Crust
(Adapted from Quaker Oats)

Ingredients (3-4 dozen, depending on size)
  • 1 cup butter, softened
  • 1 cup packed brown sugar
  • ½ cup granulated sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • ¾ cup all-purpose flour
  • ¾ cup whole wheat flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • ½ teaspoon salt
  • 3 cups oats (quick-cooking)
  • 1 cup butterscotch chips
Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 350°. Line your baking sheets with parchment paper or silpat liners.
  2. Mix flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt in a medium bowl. Set aside.
  3. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter and sugars until creamy. Add the eggs and vanilla and beat well. Add the dry ingredients and mix until combined. Stir in the oats and butterscotch chips.
  4. Drop by tablespoonfuls onto your prepared baking sheets. I like to use a 2 tablespoon sized ice cream scoop for this so the cookies will all be the same size.
  5. Bake 10-12 minutes. Cool five minutes and then remove from pan to cool completely.
Powered by Recipage


This recipe is linked with:



Labels: , ,

8 Comments:

At May 16, 2011 at 7:37 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh yes, they were that good, and better!!
Mom

 
At May 16, 2011 at 5:56 PM , Blogger Joy @ Joy Of Desserts said...

I see they were even mom-approved. They sound really good. Glad you linked them to Joy of Desserts.

I also have an award for you. :-)

http://joyofdesserts.blogspot.com/2011/05/lovely-blog-award-from-marelie.html

 
At May 16, 2011 at 6:14 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

@Joy @ Joy Of Desserts

Thanks for the award! It's a pleasure to be noticed. I still need to find a few new bloggers... :)

 
At May 17, 2011 at 9:24 AM , Blogger Amanda- Eating in Winnipeg said...

Hey! Just wanted to let you know that I am giving you a blog award today! The post will be up in about an hour. Have a wonderful day! :)

 
At May 17, 2011 at 1:56 PM , Blogger Jihane @ Sinful Sundays said...

Yum. I used to not like oatmeal cookies anything, but now I LOVE them so I'm positive that I should give this recipe a try!

 
At May 17, 2011 at 10:23 PM , Blogger paddle attachment said...

I'm not a butterscotch fan, but these cookies do look good. And they're probably the best thing to bring me into the butterscotch fold.... (:

 
At June 29, 2012 at 4:46 PM , Blogger Holly said...

I am no baker by any means... But would baking powder work better than soda.... Mine came out flat as flat

 
At July 1, 2012 at 6:10 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

Oh no! Honestly, I'm not schooled in the soda vs. powder...the recipe was from Quaker and called for soda. Are you up in altitude? I think powder would make them rise, maybe a combo next time? Or, try chilling them before baking - that works with sugar cookies!

 

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment! Reading your comments is better than eating pie...and if you know me that's saying a lot. :)

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home