Remember a few weeks ago? When you had finally arrived after so much rain? When we basked in your warmth, went to the park every day, wore shorts and capris and flip flops?
What happened? Are you angry at us? Why did you leave us right when we wanted you most? Really, did you mean to leave us with all this wind and rain? My feet are unhappy they have been forced back into socks. Plans for outdoor activities have had to be canceled. Why did you tease us so, Spring?
In an effort to get back on your good side, I have decided to make you a treat that will delight you and make you remember sun and warmth and all the good things you have to offer. I am offering you this delicious Lemon Cream Pie.
Please accept it and enjoy it and bring back our sunny, warm, pedicure-needing weather. The pie is creamy and lemony and tastes, amazingly, like a Girl Scout Lemonade cookie (but with a crumbly, buttery graham cracker crust). You can even freeze it for those hot Spring days you are sure to bring us.
Thank you for accepting this offering, Spring. I hope you will consider letting go of the cold, windy weather and bringing back what you are best at: warmth and happiness.
In other awesome news, my post for my Baby Peeps was chosen as a Sweet Tooth Favorite last week! I've been joining Alli-n-son for the past few weeks for her Sweet Tooth Friday linky party and I was so ecstatic to read her post on Saturday morning and find out that I had been picked as a favorite. Her blog is great; some awesome recipes and ideas there! Be sure to check it out.
For the Crust:
For the Whipped Cream:
- 10 graham cracker sheets
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 stick butter, melted
For the Lemon Cream:
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk (fat-free is fine)
- ¾ teaspoon lemon zest
- ½ cup fresh lemon juice (about 3-4 lemons)
- ¼ teaspoon pure lemon extract
- To make Crust: preheat oven to 350°. Pulse graham crackers in a food processor until finely ground. Place in a large bowl and add brown sugar and butter. Stir with a fork until combined. Press into a 9” pie plate. Bake for 12-15 minutes until brown. Cool completely.
- While crust is cooling, make whipped cream. (I find it best to chill my mixing bowl before starting, so everything is super cold.) Add cream and sugar to the bowl of an electric mixer and beat on high speed until it doubles in size, then add vanilla. Continue beating on high speed until fluffy whipped cream forms. Chill until ready to use.
- Stir sweetened condensed milk, ½ teaspoon lemon zest, lemon juice, and lemon extract in a large bowl until combined. Add half of your whipped cream and stir carefully until completely incorporated. Pour into cooled crust.
- Decorate the top of your pie with the rest of your whipped cream. You can spread it in an even layer or pipe it on using a star tip. (I used star tip #22 in a disposable pastry bag.) Sprinkle with remaining lemon zest. Chill until ready to use. Refrigerate leftovers. The pie is also good frozen for a cool summer treat.
Tea Party Tuesdays at Sweetology, Talent Show Tuesday at Chef in Training, Trick or Treat Tuesday at Inside BruCrew Life, Cast Party Wednesday at Lady Behind the Curtain, Sweet Treats Thursday at Something Swanky, Chic-and-Crafty at the Frugal Girls, Tastetastic Thursday at A Little Nosh, Sweet Tooth Friday at Alli-n-sons, I'm Lovin' it Fridays at TidyMom, Sweets for a Saturday at Sweet as Sugar Cookies, A Well-Seasoned Life, Strut your Stuff Saturday at Six Sisters' Stuff, and all of these too!
Labels: Lemon, pie