15 April 2011

Chocolate Sugar Cookies (Easter Egg Cookies)

I've wanted to try out chocolate sugar cookies for a long time, so when I thought about making cookies for Easter I decided to go for it. They do not disappoint! Super soft and chocolaty but not too sweet; they make a great pairing for the crunch and sweetness of royal icing.


So my technique isn't perfect, but I'm learning as I go! What I really need to work on next time I make decorated cookies is my patience. I have none. Originally I wanted to do three-dimensional decorations, like the pink egg in the back. But I couldn't wait for the icing to dry, so I decided to do flooding decorations instead. This is done by using a freshly flooded cookie and a second icing color that is flooding consistency. Draw on your design and use a toothpick to drag straight lines down the cookie to achieve your decoration.

You can do zig-zags:



Or Hearts:


Or, if you run out of the yellow icing before you've flooded the cookies edged in yellow, you can make tie-dye:


Lessons I learned this time I used royal icing:

1. Have patience.
2. Have patience.
Oh yeah, and...
3. Have patience!

These cookies would also be good with any kind of icing you like; royal icing is not the requirement. I must say I really enjoy the combination of the sweetness from the icing and the chocolate from the cookie. Your mouth expects sugar cookie when it tastes the icing and is pleasantly surprised by the chocolate flavor it actually gets.

Enjoy!

Easter Egg Cookies (Chocolate Sugar Cookies)
by Crazy for Crust
From Annie's Eats 

Ingredients
  • 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2/3 cup cocoa powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 12 tablespoons (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
  • 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Instructions
  1. In a medium bowl, combine the flour, cocoa powder, and salt. Whisk to combine and set aside.
  2. Using an electric mixer, beat the butter and sugar until fluffy, about 2-3 minutes. Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing well in between additions. Mix in vanilla. Add the dry ingredients on low speed (really, do it low or you and your kitchen will be wearing cocoa). Mix until just combined. Divide the dough in half and form each half into a round disk. Wrap each disk in plastic wrap and refrigerate until firm enough to roll, about 1-2 hours.
  3. Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Line your baking sheets with parchment paper. Remove one portion of dough from the refrigerator and roll out on a well-floured surface until about 1/4-thick. Cut with desired cookie cutters. Place on parchment lined baking sheet. Bake 8-12 minutes, depending on size. Rotate pans halfway through baking time. Repeat with remaining dough. Cool completely.
  4. Frost or decorate as desired. Royal Icing pairs well with these cookies.

The amount of cookies depends on the size of your cookie cutter. This made about 24 Easter egg cookies (2 1/2 inch cutters).

Powered by Recipage

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

At April 15, 2011 at 7:42 PM , Blogger Lisa said...

Those cookies look incredible! Great job. I have a sweet treat linky party going on at my blog and I'd like to invite you to stop by and link your cookies up. http://sweet-as-sugar-cookies.blogspot.com/2011/04/sweets-for-saturday-13.html

 
At April 17, 2011 at 12:01 AM , Blogger paddle attachment said...

Cute cookies! Thanks for the chocolate sugar cookie recipe. I've never tried them!

 
At April 19, 2011 at 8:01 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

They look great! i am too afraid to post my messiness that i tried to call a cookie! It really is a patience thing I think!

 

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment! Reading your comments is better than eating pie...and if you know me that's saying a lot. :)

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home