24 March 2011

White Bean Dip

I know, I know. Two posts in one week with NO SUGAR. What is this world coming too?  No fear, desserts will be back soon. I've got a couple things in the works for this weekend that I am very excited for.

In the meantime, you need to try this dip. It's awesome! I made it for a party a couple years ago and it is now my go-to recipe for any gathering. Even my husband, who's not a huge bean fan, likes this dip. It will remind you of hummus, but is made with white beans (cannellini beans). I love hummus, but always forget to buy the tahini. (And when I want to buy it I wander the aisles of the grocery store for hours trying to find it.) This white bean dip is easy to make and the ingredients are easy to find.


Another great thing about it is that you can make it a day before you need it. Maybe even a couple days. I know I've eaten the leftovers for two or three days after I've served it. The flavors just get better (read: the garlic gets stronger!) over time. The recipe says to serve it with pita chips, but it's also great with pretzels. I've never tried it in a pita (as a sandwich) like you would with hummus, but that sounds really good too.


It's super simple to make. All you have to do is put your ingredients into a food processor, chop, then add the olive oil and blend until smooth. I know you can buy dips like this in the grocery store, but for about five minutes of work you can have a fresh product and you control the ingredients.


I just had to show the blended picture. You have no idea how much I love my new food processor. It's a 12-cup size. Probably a little overkill, but so much better than just the teeny-tiny one I've used for the past 10 years.


Wow, I need a manicure... Sorry, lost my train of thought there. Yummy!

Enjoy!

White Bean Dip

Ingredients:
1/3 cup olive oil
1/2 teaspoon salt (plus more to taste)
1/4 teaspoon pepper (plus more to taste)
1 (15-ounce) can cannellini (white) beans, drained and rinsed
1/4 cup (loosely packed) fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves (Be careful you don't buy cilantro! When buying, smell it first - you can smell the difference between the two.)
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (from about 1/2 lemon)
1 garlic clove

Directions:
In the bowl of a food processor, combine the beans, parsley, lemon juice, garlic, salt, and pepper. Pulse until the mixture is coarsely chopped.  While the food processor is running, add the olive oil slowly until the mixture is creamy. Taste and season with more salt and pepper if needed.  Serve with pita chips.
The dip can be made one day ahead. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Bring to room temperature before serving.

Source: Everyday Italian by Giada DeLaurentiis

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment! Reading your comments is better than eating pie...and if you know me that's saying a lot. :)

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home