04 March 2011

Sausage Croissants

These sausage croissants are the easiest breakfast you can make. And they are so good! My mother-in-law makes them and after one bite I had to have the recipe from her. There are only two ingredients: croissant dough and breakfast sausage. Can it get any easier? They are a breakfast version of these mini pigs-in-blankets that my daughter loves. And, shocker, she loves these breakfast treats too. (Although I have been known to find naked sausages with croissant crumbs on her plate when she's done.)


And one of the best things about these is that you can freeze them! For later! Are you in a rush for breakfast most mornings? We haven't experienced that very much around here yet - Jordan is in afternoon Kindergarten. But next year she'll start school at 7:50. Yikes! You can keep them in the fridge or freezer and just microwave them for 30 seconds (or a little longer if frozen). A great on-the-go breakfast. I made a huge batch of them for our recent Disneyland trip. I heated them, wrapped them in paper towels, and brought them to the park with us for a mid-morning snack.


You can use any kind of breakfast sausage you like in these. Up until recently I used to buy turkey breakfast links and bake or fry them, then wrap them in the croissant. Now I'm lazy. I buy the Jimmy Dean already cooked turkey sausage in the freezer section, let them defrost, then wrap and bake. You'll have to coordinate the amount of sausage and croissants you buy. The croissants usually have 8 per package, and the sausages around 10, so keep that in mind when you're planning how many you need.


Happy Friday! Enjoy eating the way through your weekend. :)

Sausage Croissants

Ingredients:
2 packages canned croissants (like from Pillsbury)
1-2 packages of your favorite type of breakfast sausage

*Check how many sausages come in the package you buy, so that you know how many croissants you need*

Cook and cool sausages, if needed. (Defrost if they are the cooked frozen kind.)  Unroll and separate the croissant triangles. Place the sausage at the fat end of the triangle and roll up in the dough. Bake at 350 degrees for about 8-10 minutes. They are great plain or you can serve them with ketchup, or whatever you like to dip in.

Refrigerate leftovers and microwave about 20-30 seconds to reheat. To freeze, place them on a wax-paper lined cookie sheet and freeze for about an hour or two. Once they are frozen, place them in a Ziploc bag in the freezer. Microwave to reheat.

Source: recipe from my mother-in-law :)
Printed at www.CrazyforCrust.com

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

At March 4, 2011 at 5:39 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am loving these! My mom used to make these when I was growing up and I loved them! Thanks for the reminder...I am making these soon! :)

 

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment! Reading your comments is better than eating pie...and if you know me that's saying a lot. :)

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home