03 February 2011

Super Bowl Snacks III (Cinnamon Sugar Tortilla Chips & Chocolate Sauce)


If you haven't already guessed, I love sweets. A lot. Sure, I like me a bag of chips now and again, but usually when I go for a snack it's got sugar in it. So my sweet tooth was feeling left out of the Super Bowl Snack planning.


Chips and dip are a staple for any party, especially one involving football. I don't know the statistics, but I have a feeling that the Super Bowl is like Black Friday for the chip companies. I have no idea why this recipe popped into my head yesterday. Maybe it's because I love chocolate or because my daughter had cinnamon toast for breakfast. I'm not sure, but you'll be glad it did.


Cinnamon sugar tortilla chips with a chocolate dipping sauce. Amazing right? Perfect party food for those of us who hit the dessert table first. I'm not sure where I originally found this chocolate syrup recipe (it was in my documents file with no author) but it's super simple to make. And I added some cinnamon to it, to tie it in with the chips.  Did you know it's really easy to make homemade tortilla chips? After getting over my fear of the hot oil, it was a cinch. And when they come out oily and hot, the cinnamon sugar sticks wonderfully. They're like a churro, but easier to make.


Your sweet tooth will thank me. Your thighs, maybe not so much. (Mine have been mad at me since before Christmas.)

Happy Football!

Cinnamon Sugar Tortilla Chips with Chocolate Sauce

For the Chocolate Sauce
Make the chocolate sauce a day or two ahead – saves time and lets it cool and thicken properly.

1/2 cup Hershey's Cocoa Powder
1 cup Sugar
1 cup water
¼ teaspoon cinnamon (optional)
1 teaspoon Vanilla
dash of salt

Combine cocoa, sugar, cinnamon (if desired) and salt in a saucepan. Add water, and mix until smooth. Bring this mixture to a boil. Allow it to boil for one minute (be careful this does not boil over.) Remove from heat, cool for a few minutes. Then stir in your vanilla. Cool about 20 minutes and place in a sterilized jar or Tupperware. Refrigerate overnight. Makes about 2 cups.


For the chips:
10 corn tortillas, each cut into 6 triangles
½ cup sugar
¼ teaspoon cinnamon
3 cups vegetable oil

Mix the sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl and set aside.

Heat your oil in a large skillet (I used a wide 3 quart pan) over medium heat. It will take about 8 minutes or so for it to become the right temperature. While your oil is heating, line a cookie sheet with paper towels.

Drop a small piece of tortilla to test the temperature – if it sizzles right away it’s ready. Fry your tortillas in batches (be careful not to overcrowd your pan). Cook about 3 minutes each batch, until they are golden. Remove with a slotted spoon to the paper towel lined cookie sheet. Before adding the next batch of chips to the pan, sprinkle the newly cooked ones with a few teaspoons of the cinnamon sugar mixture.

Continue frying the chips and sprinkling them with cinnamon sugar until all your tortillas are used. (I did about 4 batches.)

*Be very careful when working with hot oil. It can burn you very badly, and catch fire very easily. DO NOT move your pan during cooking and work very carefully.*

Serve your chips with the chocolate dipping sauce on the side. Store unused chips in a Ziploc bag for a day or two. Chocolate sauce should last a few days in the refrigerator. Use extra chocolate sauce for ice cream, coffee, or a midnight snack.


Printed at CrazyforCrust.com


Chocolate Sauce on FoodistaChocolate Sauce

Labels: , , , ,

5 Comments:

At February 5, 2011 at 2:08 PM , Blogger Katerina said...

I love cinnamon and these tortilla chips are perfect not only for the games but for a friendly gathering or a family night as well.

 
At February 5, 2011 at 6:56 PM , Blogger Bita said...

I find it interesting that you love crust so much, have you ever tried tah-dig? It is the crust of basmati rice which can be cooked in many different ways. I have a pic of it on my site, if you would like to check it out:

http://www.foodandfarsi.com/2011/01/coming-soon.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+FoodAndFarsi+%28Food+and+Farsi%29

Your recipes are fabulous by the way. I am trying these cinnamon tortilla chips for my next mommy's group.

Take care!

 
At February 6, 2011 at 9:55 AM , Blogger Alisa said...

Your super bowl snacks are delicious.I came across your site from the foodieblogroll and I'd love to guide Foodista readers to your site. I hope you could add this chocolate sauce widget at the end of this post so we could add you in our list of food bloggers who blogged about recipes for chocolate sauce,Thanks!

 
At February 15, 2011 at 7:47 AM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

@Bita

Thanks for the link! That sounds amazing; I'll have to try it. :)

 
At February 15, 2011 at 3:47 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

@Alisa

Thank you Alisa! I have joined Foodista and added the chocolate sauce widget. I will be spending some time on Foodista to find other great recipes!

 

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment! Reading your comments is better than eating pie...and if you know me that's saying a lot. :)

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home