17 January 2011

Oatmeal Cookie Truffles


In our family, January and February are on birthday overload. There are seven of them during the two months. Since all but one of them live far away, we do lots of shipping in these months. Regardless if a gift is being given, I like to send a birthday treat to each person for their special day. I can't very well send a cake in a box, so I'm always trying to find new recipes that are good for shipping. Cookies travel well, but after the holidays I was tired of making cookies.

The first birthday girl is my niece, and she told me once she loves Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies. I've made them for her several times and I wanted to find something new. Over Christmas two different blogs I read posted recipes for Chocolate Chip Cookie Truffles, using egg-free cookie dough. My mind immediately turned to Oatmeal Cookies. Could I do the same thing with them?

The result? YES YOU CAN. And they are delicious. My niece barely managed to snag a few in her birthday box. And that was probably only because it was right after the New Year and I was trying to be good. Because if I made these for her today, I doubt she'd have gotten any.

After doing some searching, I learned you can substitute milk for eggs in recipes, so that you don't have to worry about eating raw eggs. Many of the places I searched mentioned about 4 tablespoons of milk for each egg. I used my favorite Oatmeal Cookie recipe, from Quaker Oats. I've been making these cookies since I was a kid.

I have a feeling that I'm going to be making lots of cookie dough truffles in the future. What just popped into my head? Those peanut butter cookies from last week. Made into a truffle. Hmmm...gotta go!

Oatmeal Cookie Truffles
Ingredients:
½ cup butter, softened
½ cup packed brown sugar
¼ cup granulated sugar
3-4 tablespoons milk (start with 3, add an additional tablespoon if needed)
½ teaspoon vanilla
¾ cup flour
½ teaspoon cinnamon
¼ teaspoon salt
1 ½ cups oats
1 package chocolate chips (I used milk chocolate)

Cream together butter and sugars until creamy.  Add milk and vanilla, beat well. Add flour, cinnamon, and salt. Mix well. Stir in oats.

Scoop into even sized drops and roll into balls onto a parchment or wax paper lined cookie sheet. Chill for about a half hour. Meanwhile, melt half of your chocolate chips. (I used the microwave. Heat on 50% power in 30 second increments, stirring each time.) You only want to do half the chocolate at a time in case it seizes up. Chocolate can be tricky and sometimes (whether it’s from being in the refrigerator or just because of the ingredients in the dough) it can get clumpy and become unusable during dipping (this is often due to water getting in the chocolate). I prefer to do half the chocolate at a time so I don’t ruin all my chocolate if this happens.

Dip the oatmeal cookie balls in the chocolate and place on the cookie sheet. Chill in the refrigerator until hardened.

Try not to eat them all at once. :)

Source: Oatmeal cookie recipe adapted from Quaker
Recipe printed from CrazyforCrust.com

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment! Reading your comments is better than eating pie...and if you know me that's saying a lot. :)

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home