07 March 2011

Cookies & Cream "Oreo" Cupcakes


The minute I saw these cupcakes on Annie's Eats I knew I had to make them sometime. My daughter's birthday was the ideal option, since she LOVES Oreo cookies. (I know - you're thinking hmmm, I thought I saw that cute Disney cake that was for her birthday? Yes, you did. That was for her party. These were for her actual birthday. Spoiled kid, I know!)


They are a sweet, moist vanilla cupcake with an Oreo cookie crust (right up my alley). They have chunks of Oreo cookie mixed in and a surprisingly light yet creamy and delicious frosting. It's like a whipped cream frosting crossed with a cream cheese frosting. Soooo good.


I made a mistake when making them. I had taken out two sticks of butter (one for the cupcakes, one for the frosting) and after the cupcakes were cooled and I started to think about making frosting I realized both my sticks of butter had disappeared. Oops. They both went into the cupcakes. I freaked out of course, but the three of us taste-tested one of the cupcakes and they tasted fine. My recipe includes two sticks of unsalted butter, because that's what I ate and liked and what you see. If I make them again (for sure!) I'll try it with only one stick and see what happens.


After everyone in my house and extended family ate two cupcakes apiece (except for my weird husband, who like I've said before, has the will-power to say "no thanks" to seconds) and I gave some away, I had four leftover. Normally, no problem, but we left the next day for a trip. I froze them in a plastic container. I just recently took two out and let them sit on the counter to come to room temperature. They still tasted good! (Not as good as fresh, but still sweet and yummy.)


Enjoy!

Cookies & Cream "Oreo" Cupcakes

Ingredients:
For the cupcakes:
24 Oreo cookies halves with white cream filling attached
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 sticks unsalted room temperature butter
1 2/3 cups sugar
3 large egg whites (room temperature)
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup whole milk
20 whole Oreo cookies, quartered

For the frosting:
8 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
6 tablespoons unsalted room temperature butter
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
4 cups powdered sugar
2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream

Oreo cookie crumbs and/or 24 Oreo cookie halves for garnish*

*Make sure to buy a large pack or two packs of Oreo cookies. I had trouble getting them to split in half with the cream all on one side and without crumbling them. (Use a paring knife to help you.) I garnished my cookies with the leftover halves of the split-apart cookies, but it would be even better with a half of an intact cookie.

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place 24 paper cupcake liners in your cupcake pans. Place an Oreo half (with cream filling attached) in each cupcake liner, with the white facing up.

2. Combine the flour, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl and stir together to combine. Set aside. In the bowl of an electric mixer combine the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Separate each egg and add the whites to the butter and sugar mixture, one at a time, beating well in between. Mix in the vanilla. Turn mixer to low speed and add half the flour mixture. Add half the milk and mix until just combined. Repeat with the remaining dry ingredients and milk. Gently fold in the chopped Oreos, being careful not to over-mix.

3. Pour batter evenly into each cupcake liner. Bake 18-20 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow to cool for a few minutes in the pans and then remove to a wire rack to cool completely.

4. To make the frosting, combine the cream cheese and butter in the bowl of an electric mixer and beat until smooth. Blend in the vanilla. Beat in the powdered sugar until incorporated and smooth. Add the heavy cream and beat on medium-low speed until just incorporated, then increase the speed for about 4 minutes until light and fluffy. Frost the cooled cupcakes. Sprinkle with Oreo crumbs and/or cookies. (You shouldn't do this until right before serving so they don't get stale.)


Source: Annie's Eats
*I misread Annie's recipe and added 2 sticks of butter (her recipe called for 1 stick). The cupcakes came out fine and delicious, so I've left my recipe at 2 sticks.*

Printed from Crazy for Crust

Labels: , , , ,

1 Comments:

At March 7, 2011 at 6:33 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

These look AMAZING! Diana

 

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment! Reading your comments is better than eating pie...and if you know me that's saying a lot. :)

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home