05 April 2011

Peanut Butter Oreo Brownies


Yes, your eyes are not playing tricks on you. There are in fact Peanut Butter Oreos! Have you seen them yet? Why do these companies keep trying to make me fat? Because as soon as I saw them I had to buy them. Better yet, they taste as good as they sound. So of course, I've got a package of these evil little cookies in the cabinet. If I leave them there, I'll eat them all. And then need to shop for new pants. So what's a girl to do?


Make brownies with them, of course.


Really? These should be illegal. I mean, if San Francisco can outlaw Happy Meal toys in meals that are too fattening, shouldn't Nabisco be fined for creating something so yummy?

I served these at a dinner party, but had several left over. I ate three one a day for three days. Then (even though I hate wasting food) I made myself throw the remainders away. I even threw coffee grounds on top of them in the trash. (Come on, fess up, you know you've done it.) I know I should have frozen them for later, but you know what? I still know they're there. The freezer isn't a barrier that will stop me from eating treats.


Next time you're in the mood for brownies, make these. You can use any flavor of Oreo you want. But really? Peanut butter and chocolate? That's one of the best things out there.  These brownies would be good with ice cream too (if you want to really torture yourself at the gym the next day, ha!). 

On a side note, I'm playing with fonts. I like this one. What do you think?

Enjoy!

Peanut Butter Oreo Brownies

Ingredients:
24 Peanut Butter Oreo cookies, chopped*
¾ cup cocoa powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
2/3 cup butter, melted and divided in half
½ cup boiling water
2 cups sugar
2 eggs
1 1/3 cups flour
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
¼ teaspoon salt

Directions:
1.       Preheat your oven to 350°. Line a 9x13 inch baking pan with foil and spray with cooking spray.
2.       Coarsely chop your Oreos. (I cut them in quarters and then rough chopped the pile.) Set aside.
3.       Add cocoa and baking soda to a large bowl and stir to combine. Stir in 1/3 cup of melted butter. Add the boiling water and stir until the mixture thickens. Add sugar, eggs, and remaining 1/3 cup butter and stir until combined. Stir in flour, vanilla, and salt and stir until completely incorporated. Stir in Oreos. Spread in pan.
4.       Bake 30-35 minutes, until brownies begin to pull away from the side of the pan. Cool completely before cutting into squares.

Yield: about 30-35 brownies.

*You can use any flavor of Oreo you want.

Source: adapted from Hershey’s


Labels: , ,

8 Comments:

At April 5, 2011 at 9:20 AM , Blogger paddle attachment said...

Yum! These look so moist and perfect. I love your note, "[w]hy do these companies keep trying to make me fat?" and your version of "making lemonade." Dish washing liquid is my treats destroyer of choice....

 
At April 6, 2011 at 8:41 PM , Blogger justjenn said...

You are killing me here. Peanut butter and chocolate are my favorite (and my husband's). Love it!

In order to stop my overeating, I take any leftovers straight outside to the trash bin for the city. Because if I got into THAT it would be dumpster diving -- and there is nothing classy about that. :)

 
At April 8, 2011 at 4:45 PM , Blogger Goddess of Baking said...

Those look great! I still have left over oreos from all my other posts but they are regular, not peanut butter. Now that i think of it, i dont think i have ever tried a peanut butter oreo. I think those will be on my next shopping list! Thanks for the recipe!

 
At April 18, 2011 at 4:58 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

If they are great, why so much leftovers?

 
At April 18, 2011 at 7:08 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

@Anonymous

Our company was only four adults and two kids...but it made a full 9x13 pan. We probably only needed about half that size!

 
At April 27, 2011 at 6:17 AM , Blogger Desi said...

Thanks for following my blog! I am returning the follow :) And these sound AMAZING! Your pics are great!

 
At August 20, 2011 at 1:34 PM , Blogger Kristin said...

The coffee grounds thing sounds like something I would do. Also, I'll put the dish in the sink and run water over it so I'm sure not to pick at the pan. So sad...
We love PB Oreos. My husband taught me how to make ice cream cake when we were dating and we use them in the crust of the PB and Chocolate Ice Cream Cake that's on my blog. I usually eat at least 5 Oreos while making the cake!

 
At April 15, 2012 at 8:19 PM , Blogger Lisa said...

Oh yum, peanut butter and chocolate can't be beat. Thanks for linking this up to Sweets for a Saturday.

 

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment! Reading your comments is better than eating pie...and if you know me that's saying a lot. :)

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home