11 April 2011

Black Bean Burgers

I love black beans. I love all beans, really, but black beans especially. If they're on the menu at a restaurant, I order them. Have you tried my refried black bean recipe? So good. I eat the entire recipe. Then I make more and have a taco salad.  So when I saw Sandra Lee make this recipe on one of her shows I knew I had to try it.  I don't think my husband was as excited about this recipe as I was, but he surprised himself by actually liking them.


You start with two cans of black beans (seriously, looking at this picture makes me think of the possibilities...and drool).


Blend one can (drained) in the food processor with the onion, garlic, parsley, egg, and red pepper flakes.


Yes, it looks like dog food. Don't fret, the smell is wonderful.

Now you combine the processed mixture with the other can of beans and a bunch of breadcrumbs. When I made them for dinner last week I went to my cabinet to get the breadcrumbs...and there were none. I almost cried, then realized that I'm a foodie now. I could make some. So I did.


Note: if you go this route, use two slices of bread. I only used one and they weren't as absorbent as the store-bought breadcrumbs.


Form them into patties. Isn't the little one so cute? I make Jordan her own little one so I can have the pleasure of watching her make faces, gag, retch, and shout "these are so gross!"

I use my Cuisinart Griddler to grill these up, but you could use a frying pan. (Sidebar: I absolutely love my Griddler. Best. Gift. Ever.)


I like mine with cheese. Mr. Weight Watchers doesn't.


These are best served with lettuce or tomato or pickles (bacon would be awesome). They are soft so they need to be paired with something crunchy. I was going to make an avocado spread, but I cut open my avocado and it was black. Oops. Next time.


So good. Makes me want one now. Next time I'll make and try freezing some, so when this urge hits I can satisfy it easily. Go vegetarian for a night. You won't be sorry. And you'll save some money too.

Enjoy!

Black Bean Burgers

Ingredients:
1/2 medium yellow onion, roughly chopped
2 cloves garlic
2 (15-ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
1 egg
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1/2 cup bread crumbs
Salt and Pepper to taste
4-5 Hamburger Buns
Misc. toppings (see below)

Directions:
  1. Pulse onion and garlic in a food processor until finely chopped.  Add 1 can black beans, parsley, egg, and red pepper flakes and pulse until combined. Place bean mixture in a large mixing bowl and add breadcrumbs and remaining can of black beans. Stir to combine. Taste; season with salt and pepper.
  2. Heat a grill pan or frying pan over medium-low heat.
  3. Form beans into patties. Be sure to make them the same size as your hamburger bun! Spray grill with cooking spray and grill patties about 5-6 minutes per side, until golden brown and heated through.
Serving suggestions: Lettuce, tomato, pickle, onion, crisp cooked bacon, guacamole, mustard, ketchup...the list is endless! Make them like you'd eat your hamburgers, but make sure to add some crunch.

Yield: 4-5 bean burgers, depending on size.

Source: Sandra Lee (FoodNetwork.com)

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At April 26, 2011 at 1:24 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Okay, my mouth is watering. I always buy these pre packaged and I am always disappointed. They smell great but lack taste. I am going to try to make my own with your recipe YUM.

 

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment! Reading your comments is better than eating pie...and if you know me that's saying a lot. :)

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home