10 May 2011

Cake Batter Ice Cream

I love ice cream. Who doesn't? It's cool, refreshing, and a great summer treat. When my husband and I got married, I received an ice cream maker as a gift. Back then I loved to cook and bake, but I wasn't up on all the gadgets, so I had registered for a basic, $25 Target model. I used it a few times and then it got put in a cabinet and I stopped using it. A few years ago I pulled it out, dusted it off and wanted to make ice cream. I think all those years of neglect had affected it badly, because no matter how long I froze the canister, it wouldn't churn out great ice cream anymore. Sad and dejected, I placed it back in the cabinet from whence it came.

A few weeks ago I found myself perusing the aisles of Bed, Bath, and Beyond with a $50 store credit. What could I get? That store (along with stores like Sur la Table and Williams-Sonoma) is like a candy store for me: so much I want but I can only choose a few items (or none, depending on my budget). My eyes landed on a Cuisinart Ice Cream Maker. It was only $48. I had enough to upgrade. So I brought home my new toy and promptly froze the canister.

The only thing I had to decide now was what flavor to make. There are so many choices (and believe me, I'll be trying them all). I decided to give a go at one of my favorite flavors.


Cake Batter Ice Cream. I love it. So much. My favorite cake batter frozen treat is actually gelato from a store near where we used to live in Arizona. The frozen yogurt shop down the street from us now has a pretty good one (which, of course, I add brownies to).  One of the blogs I love, How Sweet It Is, makes cake batter flavored everything, so I decided to give it a go.

I used the basic vanilla recipe that came with my ice cream maker. It's not an egg-based ice cream. Sometime I will try one of those, but I was too impatient this time to do that. I adjusted the recipe to lessen the sugar added because there is sugar in cake mix. I also lowered the fat content a bit, so I wouldn't feel guilty eating it. If I had to do anything different, I would add another 1/4 cup of cake mix next time, to give it even more cake batter flavor.

Now I keep my ice cream canister in the freezer, so when the urge hits I can make ice cream anytime. I will be sure to share my adventures in ice cream with you!

Enjoy!

Cake Batter Ice Cream

Ingredients:
1 cup heavy whipping cream
1 cup regular milk
1 cup nonfat milk
½ cup sugar
½ cup cake mix (from the box, powdered NOT the batter)

Directions:
1.    Make sure the canister to your ice cream maker has been in the freezer at least 24 hours (if your ice cream maker requires this step).
2.    Mix all the ingredients in a large bowl (I like to use a Tupperware bowl). Stir until the sugar is completely dissolved. Cover and chill over at least three hours or overnight.
3.    When ready to make the ice cream, turn on your ice cream maker. Remove mixture from refrigerator, stir, and add to the machine. Let it churn until thickened. (Refer to your ice cream maker for the approximate time it takes. It took mine about 15-20 minutes.)
4.    Place in an air-tight container and freeze until ready to use. Top with sprinkles, if desired.

Yield: 1 ½ quarts ice cream

Source: adapted from the recipe booklet in my Cuisinart Ice Cream Maker

This recipe is linked with:














Labels: ,

9 Comments:

At May 10, 2011 at 7:35 AM , Blogger Frieda Loves Bread said...

Congrats on your new ice cream machine! An egg-free recipe is a great beginning recipe; pretty soon, you'll be making tempered egg ice creams in no time!

 
At May 10, 2011 at 9:05 AM , Blogger Amanda- Eating in Winnipeg said...

i just got an ice cream maker so i'm looking for all sorts of recipes! i'm putting a post together so this will definetly be in it!!

 
At May 10, 2011 at 7:50 PM , Blogger Joy @ Joy Of Desserts said...

Oh, boy. You know what I like -- ice cream! I keep my canister in the freezer too. It's always ready. If you're looking for recipes, I did a couple roudups w/lots of bloggers sharing their recipes (70 in all). Here's the link: http://joyofdesserts.blogspot.com/2009/07/2nd-annual-we-all-scream-for-ice-cream_30.html

Thank you for linking yours at Joy of Desserts. :-)

 
At May 14, 2011 at 10:51 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I will have to try this! What a great idea!

 
At May 14, 2011 at 3:55 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

@Faith and Daisies

Thank you! I hope you enjoy it.

 
At May 14, 2011 at 4:03 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

@Joy @ Joy Of Desserts

Thanks! I'll be sure to check it out. :)

 
At May 19, 2011 at 11:56 AM , Blogger Allison @ Alli 'n Son said...

I love this! I've been craving homemade ice cream lately. Thanks for sharing on Sweet Tooth Friday. I hope to see you again this week.

 
At June 16, 2011 at 1:23 PM , Blogger The Sweet Details said...

hey! just wanted to let you know that i featured this recipe in a post i did today about ice cream! Hope that's ok by you! have a great day!

 
At June 16, 2011 at 3:10 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

@Amanda-The Sweet Details
Thanks! I can't wait to read it. :)

 

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment! Reading your comments is better than eating pie...and if you know me that's saying a lot. :)

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home