28 April 2011

Chocolate Peanut Butter Oreo Cupcakes

Hello my name is Dorothy and I know I have a problem.  I am addicted to Peanut Butter Oreos.

This addiction started out honestly. I saw them in the store and (as I always do these days) started thinking about ways to bake with them. I didn't buy them the first time I saw them. But by the second sighting their siren song had gotten to me and I had to buy them.  Then I made Peanut Butter Oreo Brownies. And I ate a lot of them. And I ate the leftover Oreos too.

Unfortunately, the fact that I make dinner most nights and bake a lot made going to the store a necessity. I needed crackers or some unsuspecting thing and happened to walk by the Peanut Butter Oreos. So I bought them. Again. This time I knew I was using them for these cupcakes and  I knew I'd have a lot left over. So instead of eating them, I was going to dip them in chocolate and give them as a gift.

So...yeah. That didn't happen.

So instead of buying more (because you know I want more), I decided to share this fabulous recipe with all of you. I'm spreading the addiction love.


I made a chocolate cupcake. And chopped up some Peanut Butter Oreos for the inside.


Then I frosted them with peanut butter frosting. And, for good measure, added some chocolate drizzle and Oreo cookie crumbs. Because I'm nice, that's why.


You're welcome. I love you too.

Enjoy!
Chocolate Peanut Butter Oreo Cupcakes

by Crazy for Crust
Frosting from The Cake Book, Cupcake From Martha Stewart

Ingredients
    For the cupcakes:
    • ¾ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
    • ¾ cup all-purpose flour
    • ½ teaspoon baking powder
    • ¼ teaspoon salt
    • ¾ cup (1 ½ sticks) unsalted butter, softened
    • 1 cup sugar
    • 3 eggs, at room temperature
    • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    • ½ cup sour cream, at room temperature
    • 15 peanut butter Oreo cookies, coarsely chopped
    For the frosting:
    • ¾ cup creamy peanut butter (I used Skippy Natural, but regular is best. Don’t use the natural kind that separates)
    • 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, softened
    • 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
    • 3 cups powdered sugar
    • 1/3 cup whole milk
    • ½ cup milk chocolate chips, for drizzle
    • Oreo crumbs, for garnish
    Instructions
    To make the cupcakes:
    1. Preheat oven to 350°. Line your muffin tins with paper liners.
    2. Add cocoa, flour, baking powder, and salt to a medium bowl and whisk to combine. Set aside.
    3. In an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add your eggs, one at a time beating well in between each addition. Beat in the vanilla. Add half the flour mixture on low speed along with half the sour cream. Mix until just combined. Repeat with remaining flour mixture and sour cream. Fold in the peanut butter Oreos.
    4. Scoop batter into muffin liners, filling each about ¾ full. Bake about 20 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Cool completely before frosting.

    To make the frosting:
    1. Using an electric mixer with the paddle attachment, beat the butter and peanut butter until well blended. Add the vanilla and mix until blended and smooth. Scrape the sides of the bowl when necessary. Turn the mixer to low speed (unless you like wearing powdered sugar) and add half the powdered sugar with half the milk. Mix until just blended and repeat with remaining powdered sugar and milk. Beat on low until creamy, about 1 minute.
    2. Frost cupcakes. To make chocolate drizzle, melt ½ cup of chocolate chips in microwave. Add to a Ziploc bag and snip of a tiny tip of one corner. Drizzle melted chocolate over cupcakes. Sprinkle with Oreo crumbs. Chill to harden.

    Serve cupcakes with ice cream or a tall glass of milk or some vanilla ice cream – they need a chaser!

    Powered by Recipage

    Enjoy!

    Labels: , ,

    18 Comments:

    At April 28, 2011 at 10:32 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    They were fabulous!!! And let me guess, to get the Oreo crumbs for the top you had to eat the rest of the bag so you could get to the crumbs in the bottom...? Mom :}

     
    At April 28, 2011 at 4:10 PM , Blogger briarrose said...

    Omg these look good! Drooling....seriously.

     
    At April 28, 2011 at 6:16 PM , Blogger Raven said...

    Holy Heck. Those look to die for. Um, ok. I have to go now. I cant keep looking at this picture or else I might have to make them and then my diet will have gone straight to the youknewwhere.

     
    At April 28, 2011 at 10:19 PM , Blogger justjenn said...

    You are killing me right now! My kitchen remodel won't be done until next week. I can't wait to try one of these Peanut Butter Oreo recipes.

     
    At April 29, 2011 at 3:36 PM , Blogger Lisa said...

    Those cupcakes look tempting to the max.

     
    At April 29, 2011 at 8:47 PM , Blogger The Better Baker said...

    I love these easy and tasty ideas! They are lovely looking also.

     
    At April 29, 2011 at 8:50 PM , Blogger paddle attachment said...

    These look fantastic! I love the new blog look, too. (:

     
    At April 30, 2011 at 4:50 AM , Anonymous Kathryn said...

    Oh my goodness, I could not stop at just one! These look so good! Please share your delicious recipe with our readers by linking it up at Muffin (and Cupcake) Monday. Thanks!
    http://www.talkingdollarsandcents.net/strawberry-muffins-with-a-sweet-topping

     
    At April 30, 2011 at 2:45 PM , Blogger Kim McCallie said...

    Wow! These look delicious and dangerous! Glad you decided to link up two recipes. I would hate to have missed out on either one of them. Thanks for linking up to A Well-Seasoned Life's Sweet Indulgences Sunday! Kim

     
    At May 1, 2011 at 5:32 AM , Blogger Penny Pincher said...

    I need to make these, but first I need to find PB Oreos. I haven't seen them here!

     
    At May 1, 2011 at 3:53 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

    @robin

    I found mine at Safeway...depending on where you are it's where they sell Lucerne - not sure what their other store names are. Good luck!

     
    At May 1, 2011 at 3:54 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

    @Kathryn

    Thank you I will!
    Dorothy

     
    At May 1, 2011 at 3:55 PM , Anonymous Patty said...

    These look fabulous! Nothing beats chocolate and peanut butter. I think I'm in love :)

     
    At May 2, 2011 at 10:55 AM , Blogger Desi said...

    These look amazing! Great presentation and photos :) I bet they taste amazing too!

    http://steaknpotatoeskindagurl.blogspot.com

     
    At May 12, 2011 at 11:24 AM , Blogger Rhondi said...

    Oh my! I have to find these peanut butter Oreos. Which grocery store did you find them? I see you have several oreo recipes...yummy! These cupcakes look so good! Chocolate and peanut butter are perfect together. I'm your newest follower.

     
    At May 14, 2011 at 4:43 PM , Blogger Rhondi said...

    Thanks for replying to my comment about the pb Oreos. Tom Thumb stores sell Lucerne in Texas, so I should be able to find them.

     
    At May 29, 2011 at 8:36 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

    Just wanted to say hello, I'm your newest follower. I host a link party every week and would love for you to link up some of your recipes and follow me too. Hope to see you there!

    http://pinchofthisthatandtheother.blogspot.com/2011/05/whisking-wednesdays-4.html

     
    At June 16, 2012 at 5:30 AM , Blogger Multi-Testing Mommy said...

    So making these for Father's Day!

     

    Post a Comment

    Thank you for your comment! Reading your comments is better than eating pie...and if you know me that's saying a lot. :)

    Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

    << Home