Chocolate Peanut Butter Oreo Cupcakes
- ¾ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup (1 ½ sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 eggs, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup sour cream, at room temperature
- 15 peanut butter Oreo cookies, coarsely chopped
- ¾ cup creamy peanut butter (I used Skippy Natural, but regular is best. Don’t use the natural kind that separates)
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1/3 cup whole milk
- ½ cup milk chocolate chips, for drizzle
- Oreo crumbs, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line your muffin tins with paper liners.
- Add cocoa, flour, baking powder, and salt to a medium bowl and whisk to combine. Set aside.
- In an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add your eggs, one at a time beating well in between each addition. Beat in the vanilla. Add half the flour mixture on low speed along with half the sour cream. Mix until just combined. Repeat with remaining flour mixture and sour cream. Fold in the peanut butter Oreos.
- Scoop batter into muffin liners, filling each about ¾ full. Bake about 20 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Cool completely before frosting.
To make the frosting:
- Using an electric mixer with the paddle attachment, beat the butter and peanut butter until well blended. Add the vanilla and mix until blended and smooth. Scrape the sides of the bowl when necessary. Turn the mixer to low speed (unless you like wearing powdered sugar) and add half the powdered sugar with half the milk. Mix until just blended and repeat with remaining powdered sugar and milk. Beat on low until creamy, about 1 minute.
- Frost cupcakes. To make chocolate drizzle, melt ½ cup of chocolate chips in microwave. Add to a Ziploc bag and snip of a tiny tip of one corner. Drizzle melted chocolate over cupcakes. Sprinkle with Oreo crumbs. Chill to harden.
Powered by Recipage