04 May 2011

Mexican Pizza

I love Mexican food. It's one of my favorites. Actually, I think it is my favorite (in a two-way tie with Italian food). I could eat some type of taco, burrito, or enchilada every day of the week. When I do my menu planning I find myself struggling to not to make Mexican food recipes every day. Because I would, I love it that much.

For this Cinco de Mayo recipe, I decided to marry my two favorite cultures into one dinner: Italian and Mexican. It even has a Crust. Be still my heart.


It's a pizza with Mexican flavor. A Mexican Pizza. And it was so good.

I started with a Crust recipe I'd never tried before. I saw it on Baked Bree. The recipe was for Overnight Pizza Crust and it was just that; it proofed in the refrigerator overnight.  I usually use my standard crust recipe when I make pizza, but I wanted to try something new and I'm glad I did. The flavor was awesome. The only complaint I had was that the dough was VERY wet and somewhat hard to work with, but totally worth it. Of course, when making this pizza, you can use whatever crust you want. You can even use Boboli or a canned crust if you like. The overall idea of the recipe is super simple and can be customized to your liking.


Instead of red pizza sauce, I use refried beans mixed with a little salsa for kick. Let me tell you, I can eat an entire recipe of those beans in one sitting all by myself. They are that good. Like regular pizza, it's coated in cheese and delicious. (That part down in the right-hand corner? It's the bean-free section for my picky daughter who won't eat beans. Or anything except bread and cheese.)

You can top your pizza with whatever you like: shredded lettuce, tomatoes, onions. Serve it with the usual Mexican food accompaniments: salsa, sour cream, and guacamole. Then grab yourself a few slices and watch it disappear quickly!

Happy Cinco de Mayo!

Mexican Pizza

Ingredients:
1 recipe Overnight Pizza Crust or your favorite pizza dough
1 can black beans
2 cloves garlic
1 teaspoon vegetable oil
¼ fire roasted salsa
2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
2 cups Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
Shredded lettuce, tomatoes, guacamole, sour cream, and salsa for garnish

Directions:
1.       Add your vegetable oil to a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add your garlic and cook for about one minute. Add the can of baked beans (including the liquid). Stir to combine with garlic. Using a potato masher, mash the beans to your desired consistency. Continue to cook over medium-low heat until some of the liquid evaporates, about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in salsa. Turn off heat and set pan aside.
2.       Preheat your oven to 450 degrees. If you are using the Overnight Crust recipe, place your cookie sheets in the oven to preheat. Separate the dough into two balls and press out onto parchment paper with your fingers.
3.       Cover each crust with half of the bean/salsa mixture. Top with cheese. Place on preheated cookie sheets and bake for 10-12 minutes until crust is browned and cheese is melted. Remove from oven and cool for five minutes before cutting.
4.       Cut into slices and top with shredded lettuce and chopped tomatoes. Serve with sour cream, guacamole, and additional salsa.

Yield: Serves 4-5

Source: Overnight Pizza Crust recipe from Baked Bree

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

At May 4, 2011 at 7:06 AM , Blogger The Better Baker said...

What a grandiose idea! Mexican is definitely my favorite ethnic choice too. This looks wonderful - I will definitely try it soon. Thanks -

 
At May 4, 2011 at 7:18 AM , Blogger briarrose said...

Yummy...I made something similar last night. So tasty. I can never get enough Mexican food.

 
At May 7, 2011 at 8:24 AM , Blogger Carla and Michael said...

Hi, visiting you from This Weeks Cravings. Love this idea. I will have to add some seasoned ground beef for the hubby. Thanks for the inspiration.

 

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment! Reading your comments is better than eating pie...and if you know me that's saying a lot. :)

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home