08 July 2012

Coconut Macaroon Cake Batter Shake {Sundays with Joy}

Pin It

I am so excited about this post.

One, because it has the words cake batter and coconut all in the title. I mean, is there really anything better?

Two, because my child thinks I'm a magician, armed with a rolling pin and a wooden spoon that spits glitter and magical rainbows.

And three, because it means I finally got my Joy the Baker Cookbook: 100 Simple and Comforting Recipes and I can join in with Sundays with Joy, hosted by Carrie at Bakeaholic Mama and Ellen at Indigo Scones.


I have been gaping and drooling at Carrie's Sundays with Joy posts for a few weeks now. The premise is simple: once a week we make one of the recipes from Joy's book, and then we post it.

Have you read Joy's cookbook? It's beyond fab. If I could pick all of my favorite things to eat and bake and put it in one cookbook, this would be it. Seriously.

Now...the point of the group isn't to have all of Joy's recipes given away. That just wouldn't seem right. So...I'm not going to be posting her recipes. You'll have to get her book for that!

BUT...you all know how I am about recipes. I have a reeeaaallly hard time following them. I see something I want to make and the first place my mind goes is in ten different directions...figuring out how I can make it my own.

Once in awhile, I'll probably follow her directions. But, more often than not, I see myself changing or adding to her recipe, or making it my own.

Let's start with this shake.

It just so happened that the first week I could participate, the group was making Chocolate Covered Coconut Macaroon Ice Cream.

Could there be a more perfect recipe for me?


And, guys, she made her own chocolate shell. It's super easy. Jordan had never had magic shell before and, as she watched it harden on her ice cream, her face lit up and the smile was huge. To her, I created magic sauce, and was, thus, a magician.


My ice cream was a little icier than expected, no fault of Joy's. I think I need to learn not to buy the cheapest ingredients...like, hey, spring for the expensive coconut milk...flavors and texture don't always come cheap.

And then there's my forementioned recipe issue, a nagging little voice inside my head saying, "More! More! Do More!" So I made a shake.

With devils food cake batter.

And I added the chocolate shell too.

Bliss.



Coconut Macaroon Cake Batter Shake
by Crazy for Crust
(You can find the recipes for the Coconut Macaroon Ice Cream and homemade Magic Shell in the Joy the Baker Cookbook.)

Ingredients
  • Heaping ¼ cup devil’s food cake batter (dry)
  • 3-4 scoops of Joy the Baker’s Coconut Macaroon Ice Cream (or your favorite flavor)
  • ½ cup milk
  • Honey and toasted coconut, for the rim of the glass
  • Magic Shell, for topping
Instructions
  1. Pour some honey on a small plate. Spread toasted coconut on a second small plate. Dip the rim of the milkshake glass in the honey and then dip it in toasted coconut.
  2. Add cake batter mix, ice cream, and milk to a blender. Blend until smooth. Pour into prepared glass.
Powered by Recipage


Go visit Bakeaholic Mama to see all of the other fabulous links this week!

Want to get your own copy of Joy the Baker: 100 Comforting and Simple Recipes? Go here to order your own. (And believe me, you're gonna want it.)

(I am not affiliated with Joy the Baker or her cookbook, I just love it. All opinions are my own.)

I link up to all of these fabulous parties each week!
Chef in TrainingTrick or Treat TuesdayCast Party WednesdaySweet Treats ThursdayChic-and-CraftyTastetastic ThursdaySweet Tooth FridayI'm Lovin' it FridaysSweets for a SaturdayA Well-Seasoned LifeStrut your Stuff Saturday, Weekend Wrap Up Party, Weekend Potluckand all of these too!

Labels: , ,

37 Comments:

At July 8, 2012 at 6:03 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love this Dorothy, I will be pinning this to make! I also love coconut, going to try to make some Almond Joy cupcakes this week!

 
At July 8, 2012 at 6:10 PM , Blogger Ashley @ Kitchen Meets Girl said...

Oh.My.Gosh. This looks amazing---you know how I feel about coconut! So, now I think I "need" Joy's cookbook. Sigh...I'm going to have to add on to my kitchen soon for additional cookbook storage! =)

 
At July 8, 2012 at 6:36 PM , Blogger Jessica@AKitchenAddiction said...

Amazing. Simply amazing. I need to make these ASAP!!

 
At July 8, 2012 at 6:47 PM , Blogger Jocelyn said...

You know my love for coconut...this sounds awesome!!! And I love that you can't follow a recipe exactly too:-) Girl after my own heart!!! I really need to just go buy this book at Barnes and Noble... because apparently I'm never going to finish checking out on Amazon. (I have too many books there I want:-)

 
At July 8, 2012 at 7:02 PM , Blogger Delightfully Curious Designs said...

OOOH YUM!! I HAVE DECIDED THAT YOU AND I CAN NEVER, EVER BE ROOMMATES!! THEY WOULD NEED CRANES TO GET US OUT!! ALTHOUGH YOU DO LAUGH AT MY BAD JOKES...MAYBE WE WOULD NEED A CUSTOM BUILT PLACE HE-HE-HE!!! HAVE A WONDERFUL WEEK DOROTHY!!

 
At July 8, 2012 at 7:06 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

You totally need it. It is beyond amazing! :) Thanks Ashley!

 
At July 8, 2012 at 7:07 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

Thanks Jessica! I hope you enjoy!

 
At July 8, 2012 at 7:41 PM , Blogger Susan said...

If we put some homemade caramel in it too, we'd have my favorite...a Samoa (Girl Scout cookie). But, I have to say, this is super yummy looking and on a hot day, well this would make it all better! XOXO

 
At July 8, 2012 at 8:09 PM , Blogger Gloria Baker said...

This look delicious!!

 
At July 8, 2012 at 8:21 PM , Blogger Rachel @ Simple Girl said...

What a great idea using cake mix in a milk shake! I would totally be the chocolate fairy queen if I made this for my kids!!!

 
At July 8, 2012 at 8:52 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

My next cookbook for sure! Looks amazingly delicious , like I gotta have it now dekicious

 
At July 8, 2012 at 8:53 PM , Anonymous Hayley @ The Domestic Rebel said...

Omagawd. I think you would make Joy proud--this looks even better than you'd described. You neglected to mention CAKE BATTER was in the shake... and I was already hooked on the idea of coconut macaroon. How do you forget the devil's food part!? DELICIOUS. Seriously, you ARE a magician. And I love you for it!

 
At July 8, 2012 at 9:17 PM , Blogger Back for Seconds said...

Nothing better than having your kid look at you like you're magical!
This sounds insanely good. I wish I could reach out an grab a glass. Dreamy!

 
At July 8, 2012 at 9:45 PM , Blogger Sara said...

I love how you made this your own, magic and all!

 
At July 8, 2012 at 10:20 PM , Anonymous dan said...

oh my gosh! That looks so delicious! And CONGRATS on your book - you must be excited :)
------------------
www.TheMacaronMaster.com

 
At July 9, 2012 at 12:02 AM , Blogger Kristin said...

Yum! I'm going to start filing your coconut recipes away for when my mom visits! And changing recipes is what food blogging is all about. I get SO bored with people who just source and copy. That's not real cooking. I wanna know how a blogger comes up with something crazy delicious!

 
At July 9, 2012 at 3:47 AM , Blogger Martha said...

Sounds yummy! I love coconut!

 
At July 9, 2012 at 4:36 AM , Blogger Michael said...

Looks good to me! I love her cookbook too :)

 
At July 9, 2012 at 5:16 AM , Blogger Carrie B said...

Wow! This just looks amazing Dorothy! Adding cake batter to a milk shakes is genius. I've never thought to do that!

 
At July 9, 2012 at 5:42 AM , Blogger allisamazing said...

All I can say is, "Yummm" :)

 
At July 9, 2012 at 5:49 AM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

Thanks dan!

 
At July 9, 2012 at 5:50 AM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

Aw, thanks. Now I need to go cast another spell; one to make this shake calorie free...

 
At July 9, 2012 at 5:50 AM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

Thanks! And yes, you would!

 
At July 9, 2012 at 5:51 AM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

Yes Heather, you must! It's an amazing book!

 
At July 9, 2012 at 9:37 AM , Anonymous sally @ sallys baking addiction said...

Sundays w/ Joy - that sounds SO fun Dorothy! And you know I'm a cake batter fool. This shake is just perfect. A great way to cool down! It was 108 in baltimore this weekend!! Sweating my tushie off. Must replenish with coconut/macaroon/cake batter yumminess.

 
At July 9, 2012 at 12:09 PM , Blogger Veronica LaChance said...

I am obsessed with macaroons and now you're adding ice cream, chocolate and cake batter!? Heaven! Thanks for sharing I am soooo trying!

 
At July 9, 2012 at 12:23 PM , Anonymous megan @ whatmegansmaking said...

I can't believe how good this looks! yum :)

 
At July 9, 2012 at 1:47 PM , Blogger Tiffany said...

Love the milkshake twist on this! Great idea.

 
At July 9, 2012 at 4:32 PM , Blogger kitty@ Kitty's Kozy Kitchen said...

Yummy, Dorothy! I make my own sauce that hardens on ice cream I'll have to share it sometime at your party.

 
At July 9, 2012 at 4:51 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

Oh wow, 108? Insane! You definitely need some shake action. Stay cool Sally!

 
At July 9, 2012 at 4:53 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

Thanks Tiffany!

 
At July 9, 2012 at 4:53 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

Oh, I hope you love it! I sure did. :) Thanks Veronica!

 
At July 10, 2012 at 7:32 AM , Blogger Julie said...

Wow!! Pinned and can't wait to make it :)

The Farm Girl

 
At July 10, 2012 at 7:54 AM , Blogger Nicky @ Pink Recipe Box said...

I've never tried cake mix in a batter before. What a great idea!

 
At July 10, 2012 at 10:32 AM , Blogger Ellen said...

Amazing! You'll fit into the group very well, most of the time we all have trouble following the directions ;) Glad to have you!

 
At July 10, 2012 at 7:25 PM , Blogger Dip It In Chocolate said...

Cake batter AND coconut? I think I just died!

 
At July 11, 2012 at 6:59 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Can we say YUMMY! wow I want one now!!! We'd love it if you'd share this at our Home is Where the Heart is! http://www.homesteadsimple.com/home-is-where-the-heart-is-link-it-up-wednesdays-1/
and any other posts you'd like to share that have to do with homesteading and homemaking!

 

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment! Reading your comments is better than eating pie...and if you know me that's saying a lot. :)

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home