25 June 2012

Bailey's Pudding Pies with Thin Mint Crust {Great Blogger Switch-Up}

Pin It

I know. Another treat in a jar.

What can I say? They're cute, portable, and single-serving. You can't get much better than that!

I know I'm about a year late to the "jar craze," but hey, I never did follow trends.

I never had a pair of Keds with the blue label torn off.

I never had a pair of hi-top Converse sneakers.

I refuse to wear flats without some sort of sock. Because, um, ew.

While every one in my class was wearing Guess and 5*7*9 and Wet Seal, I was still wearing my Kmart knockoffs.

Actually, the only trend I actually bought into was the pink explosion of 2003. In fact, prior to that winter, I had hated pink. And then, somehow I ended up with a pink trench coat ala Old Navy and a purse with a D on it. I still wear the coat, because pink will always be the new black.

Just like jarred desserts with a crust should be the new cupcake.



Oh, and in making this recipe I discovered I do like pudding. If it's homemade.

Especially when it's made with liquor.

And given a crust. Made out of Thin Mints.

Let me back up a minute, I'm getting ahead of myself, as usual.

Do y'all read Back for Seconds? She's awesome, BTW. A few weeks ago, she approached me to do a blogger swap-style "inspired by" post. Of course I said yes, because Hayley, Sally, and Ashley were participating.

And I got to make a recipe inpsired by the fabulous Ashley, at Kitchen Meets Girl.

If you're not reading her, you're totally missing out.

Now, when I was perusing her dessert category, I noticed a recipe for Bailey's Chocolate Pudding. And then I remembered I had featured it ages ago on Crazy Sweet Tuesday. Fate? Of course. I must make it!

Now, Ashley makes some pretty delectable stuff. Stuff like Coconut Caramel Pie in a Jar, Cherry Limeade Pie in a Jar, and Mint Brownie Grasshopper Pie in a Jar. See where this is going? Of course I had to give my new crack this pudding a crust and put it in a jar.


Now, I must admit. Usually I can never get enough sugar. I think I was born without the "you're full, stop eating dessert" signal. Which is why, when I make these again (because I will) I will double the amount of crust and spread it over eight jars, instead of four. It is very rich, chocolatey pudding and one full jar was a teensy bit too much for one person. Not that it stopped me from eating two in two days.


You must make this pudding. And now that I know I actually like pudding, watch out. More's a'comin'.


Be sure to check out the other fabulous inspiration from our blog hop!

Back for Seconds inspired by Crazy for Crust
Kitchen Meets Girl inspired by The Domestic Rebel
Sally's Baking Addiction inspired by Back 4 Seconds
The Domestic Rebel inspired by Sally's Baking Addiction

Bailey's Pudding Pies {with a Thin Mint Crust}

by Crazy for Crust
(Pudding recipe from Kitchen Meets Girl)

Ingredients
    For the Crust
    • 1 sleeve (17) Thin Mint (or the Keebler equivalent), finely ground, 1 tablespoon reserved for garnish*
    • 3 tablespoons butter, melted*
    • 4-8 ½ pint jars*
    For the Pudding
    • 1 egg
    • 1 ½ cups milk
    • 2/3 cups sugar
    • ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
    • 3 tablespoons corn starch
    • 1 teaspoon instant coffee (a little less than 1 Via packet)
    • 2 tablespoons butter
    • 4 ounces good semi-sweet chocolate
    • ¼ cup Bailey’s Irish Cream (1 mini bottle)  {Don't drink? No problem Just leave this out!}
    For the Garnish
    • ½ cup heavy whipping cream
    • 2 teaspoons powdered sugar
    • Reserved 1 tablespoon of ground Thin Mints
    Instructions
    Make the Crust
    1. Mix finely ground cookies with butter. Equally divide among jars, press to flatten, and chill until ready to use. (See note below.)
    Make the Pudding
    1. Whisk egg in a small bowl and set aside.
    2. Whisk milk, cocoa, sugar, coffee, and corn starch in a medium saucepan. Heat over medium heat and cook, stirring constantly, until the mixture begins to thicken (about 5 minutes).
    3. Remove from heat and pour one ladle of the hot chocolate mixture into the egg bowl, while whisking the egg. Then pour the egg mixture back into the pan and whisk to combine. Return to heat and cook just until it begins to boil.
    4. Remove from heat and stir in chocolate and butter. Once melted, stir in the Bailey’s. Portion the pudding onto the cooled crusts. Cover the tops with plastic (press the plastic so that it is touching the top of the pudding) and chill until cooled.
    Make Garnish
    1. Add cold heavy cream to a chilled bowl (I like to chill my bowl and whisk in the refrigerator for at least 10 minutes prior to making whipped cream). Add powdered sugar and beat on high speed until stiff peaks form.
    2. Portion whipped cream over cooled pudding and top with reserved crushed Thin Mints.
    {*Note: I made 4 jars of pudding with this recipe and each jar was just a little too much for one person. If I made this again, I would double the crust ingredients (an entire box of Thin Mints and 6 tablespoons melted butter) and make 8 jars, or 1 large pie.}

    Powered by Recipage




    I link up to all of these fabulous parties each week!
    Chef in TrainingTrick or Treat TuesdayCast Party WednesdaySweet Treats ThursdayChic-and-CraftyTastetastic ThursdaySweet Tooth FridayI'm Lovin' it FridaysSweets for a SaturdayA Well-Seasoned LifeStrut your Stuff Saturday, Weekend Wrap Up Party, Weekend Potluckand all of these too!

    Labels: , , ,

    53 Comments:

    At June 25, 2012 at 5:16 AM , Blogger allisamazing said...

    Oh yum, my mouth is watering just reading this recipe. I am pinning it!

     
    At June 25, 2012 at 5:24 AM , Blogger Michael said...

    Yum. I think I could eat 4 jars, or 8 of that too!

     
    At June 25, 2012 at 5:33 AM , Blogger Mindy said...

    I forgot about Wet Seal! I am always about a decade behind trends, too. Glad I'm not the only one!

     
    At June 25, 2012 at 5:43 AM , Anonymous Sue @ Cakeballs, cookies and more said...

    oh my word it looks like pure bliss in a jar!

     
    At June 25, 2012 at 6:27 AM , Blogger Ashley @ Kitchen Meets Girl said...

    Oh my gosh, Dorothy...what a GREAT idea to add thin mints to that pudding! And the jars?? So, so cute (I've got another jar recipe posting Friday; I guess I must be addicted or something??)!! I love these!!

     
    At June 25, 2012 at 6:34 AM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

    Thanks! :) It's way too good. I know, I ate 3 of the 4 jars.

     
    At June 25, 2012 at 6:34 AM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

    Oh, it is. It surely is.

     
    At June 25, 2012 at 6:35 AM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

    Thanks for the inspiration Ashley! I am also addicted to jars. I've got at least two more recipes waiting to post and more in my head. Maybe we should do a theme week ala the big blogs. :)

     
    At June 25, 2012 at 6:40 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    SO.HAVE.TO.TRY.THIS.

    YUM!

    I was never one for following fashions or *trends* either. I still don't. I'm more likely to grab one of hubby's t-shirts than I am to even *shop* in the womens section!

     
    At June 25, 2012 at 6:53 AM , Blogger Hayley @ The Domestic Rebel said...

    Yaaaaay! I *still* haven't made jarred desserts yet but um, after eating this last night and nearly dying of the amazingness happening in my mouth-hole, I'm pretty sure I'm a freshly converted jarred desserts lover. It rocks. And so do you and Ashley! Ugh, why can't we all live closer to have drinky parties?!

     
    At June 25, 2012 at 7:44 AM , Anonymous sallys baking addiction said...

    I never had a pair of converse high-tops either! It was so much fun to do this fun post with you girls! I love your jar recipes, Dorothy! They are too cute. I need to follow YOUR trend. :)

     
    At June 25, 2012 at 8:25 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

    One of my most favorite desserts is pudding with a crust!! And baileys!! Love some baileys!! I think I need to find some jars pronto.....

    One a side note....I was not a wet seal/dittos girl either, although I desperately wanted to be. My fiercely fashionable mother bought me....toughskins.....cords. Seriously

     
    At June 25, 2012 at 8:51 AM , Blogger Ellen @ BakeItWithBooze said...

    Glad to see that you're embracing the Baileys!

     
    At June 25, 2012 at 9:51 AM , Anonymous megan @ whatmegansmaking said...

    oh these look so good! And I'm way late to the dessert in a jar trend too - I don't know if I've even made any. That may change with this recipe, however :)

     
    At June 25, 2012 at 11:26 AM , Blogger Back for Seconds said...

    These sound heavenly!! I mean, booze in pudding? Sign me up! I don't know if I've ever said something was too chocolatey but I am willing to try eating 1 (or 6) of these to get to that point.
    Thank you so much for being a part of this switch up! You are totally inspirational and I'm so happy we're friends ;)

     
    At June 25, 2012 at 11:29 AM , Blogger Back for Seconds said...

    Oh and, uh, 5.7.9. was practically the only place I shopped back in the day. ;) I want to see that pink coat!

     
    At June 25, 2012 at 11:34 AM , Blogger Kristin said...

    Just when I thought I was safe from girl scout cookie desserts....I eye up those Keebler things in the store a lot and force myself to walk away. I totally had a purse with a K on it. I hated 2003, now that I think of it. Oh, and I get horrible blisters from ballet flats, therefore don't wear them at all. Glad to know it's not just me!

     
    At June 25, 2012 at 11:51 AM , Blogger Dip It In Chocolate said...

    Ha, I forgot about monogrammed- EVERYTHING in 2003. I am convinced that Thin Mint *anything* is manna from heaven. These look delish.

     
    At June 25, 2012 at 12:16 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

    Nope, we can start our own trend!:)

     
    At June 25, 2012 at 12:17 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

    I always see all the cute, stylish people and realize, as much as I want to be one, I don't think it'll ever happen for me. It's why I bring them dessert, ha.

     
    At June 25, 2012 at 12:18 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

    Oh, you need too. They are WAY too fun. I have SO many more to make! And I'm glad you liked them. We really all do need to get together. I have some ideas...

     
    At June 25, 2012 at 12:19 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

    Thanks so much Sally! I had a blast, y'all are so great.

     
    At June 25, 2012 at 12:19 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

    Always. Forever and ever.

     
    At June 25, 2012 at 12:19 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

    I'm re-starting the trend. It's too much fun! Thanks Megan!

     
    At June 25, 2012 at 12:20 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

    Yes, yes it is. Thanks so much!

     
    At June 25, 2012 at 12:24 PM , Blogger Susan said...

    They are really cute and what a great way to serve dessert! On top of that, now that GS cookies are gone, I've got another dessert to feed my habit until they are sold next year:-)

     
    At June 25, 2012 at 1:26 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I agree with you - pudding is much better homemade and I definitely am on board with the Thin Mint crust.

     
    At June 25, 2012 at 2:16 PM , Blogger Julie said...

    Those look amazing. I've never made homemade pudding........well, scratch that, I did it once, in the third grade with my BFF. We tried making it in the microwave and, for some reason, added green food coloring. We ended up with a bowl of green sludge with bits of egg floating in it. This treat of yours, however, may convince me to try again.....

     
    At June 25, 2012 at 7:01 PM , Blogger Jocelyn said...

    These little pudding pies are so yummy looking! I could most definitely eat at least 4 of them in one sitting! Trends shmends! Who needs them? I never was one for going along with the current trend...unless it is running to the store for the newest cookie or candy:-)

     
    At June 25, 2012 at 7:42 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

    You totally should! Third grade mistakes not withstanding, homemade pudding is the best stuff ever. (And this, coming from someone who does NOT like pudding!)

     
    At June 25, 2012 at 7:42 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

    Oh yes. Me too! Thanks so much for reading!

     
    At June 26, 2012 at 5:43 AM , Blogger Nicky @ Pink Recipe Box said...

    This looks fantastic! And I totally agree - desserts in jars with crusts should be the new cupcakes. :)

     
    At June 26, 2012 at 7:03 AM , Blogger Lisa Boyle said...

    These look divine! I can't wait to try them. My hubby loves thin mints and chocolate pudding (and he is not a sweets eater), so guess what I'm going to make as a welcome home dessert for him? (he's away with the Army right now). Thanks so much for linking up with "Try a New Recipe Tuesday." :-) P.S. I could never get into the style trends, either. Still don't. lol.

     
    At June 26, 2012 at 8:42 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

    oh my goodness! fantastic

     
    At June 26, 2012 at 5:10 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

    Thanks Nicola!

     
    At June 26, 2012 at 5:11 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

    Oh I hope he likes them! Thanks so much!

     
    At June 26, 2012 at 5:11 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

    Thanks Heather!

     
    At June 26, 2012 at 9:18 PM , Anonymous Christina @ Oven Adventures said...

    i totally never had the cool keds or the guess jeans either. i remember my bff had the cool white Guess jeans and I was so jealous. lol.

    i've made Bailey's pudding but you, you put it with Thin Mints. Amazingballs. i need this in my life. oh and you know i'm not spreading this between 8 jars. it will just mean double the dishes, cause it's all for me. ;)

     
    At June 27, 2012 at 6:44 AM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

    Oh you are so right! I don't know why I even bothered to put it in jars. I ate three of the four!

     
    At June 27, 2012 at 3:04 PM , Anonymous Dawn @ DJs Sugar Shack said...

    I've been thinking about making jarred desserts for over a year now myself but havent done it. I have a bottle of Mint Baileys that I bought for grasshopper pies a while back. I think I'm going to have to make this. Too bad I ate all the thin mints the day they arrived from the girlscouts. Whoops. THanks for sharing on Whatcha' WHipped Up.

     
    At June 27, 2012 at 3:28 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

    Oh you have to make it. It's SO good. Shame on you for eating all the Thin Mints, lol. :)

     
    At June 27, 2012 at 7:52 PM , Anonymous Baking Serendipity said...

    I am definitely okay with jarred desserts being the new cupcake...especially when they involve Baileys! This looks so, so good!

     
    At June 29, 2012 at 1:23 AM , Anonymous April @ The 21st Century Housewife said...

    This sounds amazing, and looks wonderful too. I love the coffee, chocolate and Bailey's thing it has going on - delicious! If you have time, I'd love it if you would share your Bailey's Pudding Pies with us at The Gallery of Favorites, which is live on my blog now.

     
    At June 29, 2012 at 4:29 AM , Anonymous tanya said...

    This looks and sounds amazing!!! I absolutely love Baileys!!!! Who doesn't love Thin Mints (assuming they last long enough to use them in dessert!). Yummy recipe!

     
    At June 29, 2012 at 1:45 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

    You go girl, I would love to meet my Blog friends. See I started one and I don't know what to do next, guess I have to buy the Blogging book for dummies. Oh, and I love Bailey's and mint, but sweets, Oh No, hot stuff is where it's at! And about not following trends, it's a good thing I don't or I would paint all my walls black and that would clash with all of my other stuff, (black furniture, black picture frames, black candle holders, you know and so on. Love your your stuff hope to meet somewhere in the middle of nowhere, (Fun City).

     
    At June 29, 2012 at 2:06 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

    Oh, yum! This sounds awesome... thanks for sharing!

     
    At June 29, 2012 at 5:31 PM , Blogger Kelly said...

    yum, sounds scrumptious!

     
    At June 30, 2012 at 9:11 AM , Blogger Carol, The Answer Is Chocolate said...

    Oh my goodness these look amazing. I'm with you on what I like to call trend busting. Why anyone can be trendy when it's trendy, but it takes a real trend buster to do it on our own time right?! Thanks for sharing at this week's party.

     
    At July 1, 2012 at 5:20 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

    Oh, I feel you. All my furniture is black! I really guess I need to plan this meet-up! :)

     
    At July 1, 2012 at 9:31 PM , Blogger Tobins' Tastes said...

    How good do those look??? You had me laughing out loud recalling all those trends you mentioned. Thanks so much for sharing at Mealtime Monday!

     
    At July 2, 2012 at 6:17 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

    Thanks Kaylee! And thank you for hosting a fab party!

     
    At July 3, 2012 at 7:25 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

    I know but is so hard not to eat them all in one sitting:) I wanted to let you know that I am featuring this today at Whatcha Whipped Up Wednesday. Have a great night!

     
    At July 4, 2012 at 4:41 PM , Blogger Trish - Mom On Timeout said...

    So pretty and perfect! What a perfect "in a jar" recipe :) Thanks so much for sharing at Mom On Timeout!

     

    Post a Comment

    Thank you for your comment! Reading your comments is better than eating pie...and if you know me that's saying a lot. :)

    Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

    << Home