17 June 2012

Blackberry Cream Pies {in a jar}

Pin It

One of the earliest memories of my dad I have is of the two of us. On weekends he'd give my mom some time alone and the two of us would go on adventures.

Our two adventures I remember the most, because we did them so much, were looking at airplanes, and looking at boats.

My favorite boat in the dry-dock boat yard was the "naked lady boat." Because, well, she had a naked lady chalk outlined on the side.

But the things I remember most about our outings were Cheetos and orange soda. And occasionally chocolate milk.

I still remember the little store we'd stop and get them at. And I remember the taste of the orange soda.

These Blackberry Cream Pies really have nothing to do with orange soda. Or Cheetos (ew, that would be gross. Or like an episode of Cupcake Wars).

They, however, have everything to do with my dad.  I made them for him, for Father's Day.


We celebrated last weekend, when Jordan and I were there visiting. Celebrating holidays early works very well for a food blogger. Know what I mean?


My dad loves blackberries. Blackberry pie is his most favorite. However, he is not allowed to have seeds. Which kind of makes blackberry pie off-limits.

I am, in fact, one day going to make an actual, honest-to-goodness blackberry pie for him, seedless. I just haven't figured out how yet.

These are a start.

A shortbread crust and blackberry cream (made with blackberry juice, jam, and one of the food groups I grew up on Cool Whip).

Oh, did I mention my dad needs to eat sugar-free?

That adds an extra level of creativity to making baked goods for him.

This dessert is totally sugar-free (well, aside from the sugar in the fruit), and I've written those options into the recipe. You can, however, use regular full-sugar equivalents.

And I think the jars make it seem cute. And easily transportable for when your dad is a two-hour drive away.

{One of my favorite photos from our wedding.}

Happy Father's Day, Daddy. I love you thiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiis much. And more. And, whenever Jordan regales me with stories of how you took her to watch the airplanes, my heart fills up.

And now that she likes soda (believe me, he was crushed that she didn't before) feel free to fill her up with the orange stuff.

But you get to deal with her after. Just sayin'. :)


Oh, and I didn't forget about my husband. Because he's an awesome dad too. But that deserves its own post.

And, people. I made a dessert he would actually eat.

*Mind Blown*

Happy Father's Day to all the dads out there. You rock.

Blackberry Cream Pies {In a Jar}

by Crazy for Crust


Ingredients 
    For the Crust
    • 30 shortbread cookies (Murray’s sugar-free or similar)
    • 3 tablespoons butter, melted
    For the Filling
    • 1 cup blackberries, rinsed + 1 tablespoon water (or 1/3 cup blackberry juice)
    • ½ cup seedless blackberry jam (sugar-free option)
    • 2 cups Cool Whip (sugar-free option)
    Additional Items
    • 4-6 half-pint jars (4 for a lot of crust, 6 for less)
    • Additional Cool Whip or whipped cream, blackberries, and chocolate sauce for garnish
    Instructions


    For the Crust:
    1. Crust cookies finely in a food processor. Mix with melted butter. Evenly divide among jars and press to compact. Chill until filling is ready.

    Make your Filling:
    1. First, you must make your blackberry juice. Place berries and water in a medium saucepan over low heat. Crush with a potato masher and bring to a boil. Cook for two minutes. Strain through a fine mesh strainer. This will make about 1/3 cup juice. Cool completely before making pies.
    2. Whisk jam and cooled juice in a large bowl. Stir in Cool Whip. Divide evenly among chilled crusts. Top with jar lids to transport. Serve with additional Cool Whip, blackberries, and chocolate sauce. Store in refrigerator.
    Powered by Recipage

    Enjoy!

    I link up to all of these fabulous parties each week!
    Talent Show Tuesday at Chef in TrainingTrick or Treat Tuesday at Inside BruCrew Life, Cast Party Wednesday at Lady Behind the Curtain, Sweet Treats Thursday at Something Swanky, Chic-and-Crafty at the Frugal Girls, Tastetastic Thursday at A Little Nosh, Sweet Tooth Friday at Alli-n-sons, I'm Lovin' it Fridays at TidyMom, Sweets for a Saturday at Sweet as Sugar Cookies, A Well-Seasoned LifeStrut your Stuff Saturday at Six Sisters' Stuff, and all of these too!

    Labels: , ,

    53 Comments:

    At June 17, 2012 at 6:10 PM , Blogger allisamazing said...

    Oh these look so good and would be so great to take on picnics. I am pinning it to try :)

     
    At June 17, 2012 at 6:10 PM , Blogger Ashley @ Kitchen Meets Girl said...

    I love pie in a jar--and these look great! Blackberries are one of my favorite fruits. I bet your dad loved eating these. And I LOVE the wedding pic--seeing pictures of dads and their daughters at weddings always makes me tear up!

     
    At June 17, 2012 at 6:16 PM , Anonymous Anna said...

    I loved this post! The part about the Cheetos and orange soda made me laugh because my memory of being out and about with my dad involves the taste of Twinkies and Coke combined with the smell of gas fumes from a motorboat being pushed into the water. Fun times. The desserts in little jars are too cute.

     
    At June 17, 2012 at 6:17 PM , Blogger Lynn said...

    Fun and cute! Wish I had a spoon:@)

     
    At June 17, 2012 at 6:30 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

    I hope you enjoy them! Thanks for the pin. :)

     
    At June 17, 2012 at 6:31 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

    Thanks Ashley! He definitely liked them - ate two in 24 hours, lol. :) And I think that's one of my absolute favorite wedding pics. :)

     
    At June 17, 2012 at 6:32 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

    Thanks Anna! Funny how dads often tie in with food. :)

     
    At June 17, 2012 at 6:33 PM , Blogger Yvonne @ StoneGable said...

    Dorothy, Very very sweet post. Both in recipe and in sentiment! I say anything tastes better in a jar! This sweet blackberry cream pie is adorable and looks scrumptious!
    I would love you to join ON THE MENU MONDAY and bring this great dessert to share! Post is live now!
    YUMMY!

     
    At June 17, 2012 at 6:52 PM , Anonymous sally @ sallys baking addiction said...

    Dorothy! These are too cute for words! That filling looks delicious. I love baking/no-baking with cool whip!!

     
    At June 17, 2012 at 7:17 PM , Blogger Susan said...

    These look wonderful and your story was even better. I love that these pies are so easily portable! I know my hubby would love these and Lord knows, we have blackberries here in the Pacific Northwest. XOXO

     
    At June 17, 2012 at 7:26 PM , Blogger Jocelyn said...

    Awe I love the wedding picture with your dad...so sweet!!! I'm sure your dad loved the time and love that you put into these fun cute jar pies!!! And blackberry...yum!!!! So summery!

     
    At June 17, 2012 at 7:36 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

    Thanks so much Yvonne!

     
    At June 17, 2012 at 7:36 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

    I know, it's just so easy and cool! :) Thanks Sally!

     
    At June 17, 2012 at 9:03 PM , Blogger Back for Seconds said...

    What a sweet post. I'm such a sucker for sentimental stuff :) so sweet that your daughter gets to enjoy the same adventures with your dad that you did.
    These pies are adorable! I bet your dad felt special getting this custom dessert!

     
    At June 17, 2012 at 9:36 PM , Blogger Rachel {BubblyNatureCreations.com} said...

    Those are so cute!!! My hubbies dad has to eat sugar free too... I need to make these for him! yummy!

     
    At June 18, 2012 at 3:30 AM , Blogger Shirley@bells-bakery said...

    I love the little Jars sooo cute! Fab wedding pic! These look yum and they're low on sugar,great recipe :)

     
    At June 18, 2012 at 5:24 AM , Anonymous Sue @ Cakeballs, cookies and more said...

    aw I love stories like this, dads and their little girls always have good stories to share:)

     
    At June 18, 2012 at 6:16 AM , Blogger Delightfully Curious Designs said...

    THIS SOUNDS REALLY WONDERFUL!! THANK YOU FOR SHARING!!

     
    At June 18, 2012 at 6:16 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

    We have just been trying blackberries! I love anything in a jar. Its just so cute. I'd like to invite you to link up at Fantastic Thursday at Five Little Chefs. http://www.fivelittlechefs.com/2012/06/fantastic-thursday-link-party-1.html Hope to see you there!

     
    At June 18, 2012 at 6:52 AM , Blogger Tracey @ The Kitchen Is My Playground said...

    Such a sweet post, Dorothy! And the pies look yummy!!
    Tracey @ The Kitchen is My Playground

     
    At June 18, 2012 at 7:18 AM , Anonymous Shawn @ I Wash...You Dry said...

    You're killing me with all these tasty treats! I'll never be able to lose weight, but hold on...these have blackberries (which are a fruit), and fruit is healthy right? Ok, I'm making these! :)

     
    At June 18, 2012 at 7:55 AM , Blogger Hayley @ The Domestic Rebel said...

    For not liking blackberries, I am alllllll over this. It looks so creamy and yummy and berrylicious. And what a cute story about you and your pop :) cool dads rock and so do orange foods! I'm sure your dad was beyond surprised and happy to stuff his face full of one or five of these jarred pies.

     
    At June 18, 2012 at 8:46 AM , Blogger Linda @ Life and Linda said...

    Blackberries and I have some wonderful memories too. Love the idea and they look so good. Thanks for sharing.

     
    At June 18, 2012 at 8:55 AM , Blogger Michael said...

    Awww so sweet. And the pie jars look awesome. I just planted a blackberry bush this year. Can't wait to see if it bears fruit next year!

     
    At June 18, 2012 at 9:51 AM , Blogger Ellen @ BakeItWithBooze said...

    These beautiful jar creations look like so much fun to make AND to eat! Yummly!!

     
    At June 18, 2012 at 10:40 AM , Blogger MissCandiquik said...

    I (obviously) love the jar idea, too! So many reasons to love them. Thanks for sharing, this recipe sounds a little lighter than mine (always a good option) :)

     
    At June 18, 2012 at 11:14 AM , Blogger Kristin said...

    I never make fruit pies because it's not my idea of dessert (um where's the marshmallows or ice cream??), but I'm bookmarking this for when my dad visits! Anything is decidedly cuter in a mason jar :)

     
    At June 18, 2012 at 1:58 PM , Anonymous Tanya said...

    These looks so cute, the jar makes them. Love your story about your dad. There's truly something special about dads and their daughters. Having two girls of my own now, I love watching their relationship with my husband grow. Today my 3 year old said she wanted to marry her daddy. I remember saying that about my dad. The picture is very sweet too.

     
    At June 18, 2012 at 3:22 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

    Thanks so much! I hope he likes it!

     
    At June 18, 2012 at 3:27 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

    Thanks Shirley!

     
    At June 18, 2012 at 3:28 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

    For sure! Thanks Sue!

     
    At June 18, 2012 at 3:29 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

    Definitely. Desserts with fruit are totally healthy.

     
    At June 18, 2012 at 3:47 PM , Anonymous Abby said...

    THese are so cute! And portable enough for a picnic :) lovely post all around!

     
    At June 18, 2012 at 4:19 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

    Yes, I'm sure he was. And I'm not a huge blackberry fan either, but for me it's the texture. So juice/mousse is fine with me!

     
    At June 18, 2012 at 4:20 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

    Thanks Ellen!

     
    At June 18, 2012 at 4:20 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

    That's for sure! Thanks so much Tanya!

     
    At June 18, 2012 at 4:20 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

    Thanks Abby!

     
    At June 18, 2012 at 5:55 PM , Anonymous Baking Serendipity said...

    I love desserts in jars...and have blackberries in my fridge right now so these are exactly perfect! I wonder if blackberries can be smashed and strained to get rid of the seeds?

     
    At June 18, 2012 at 6:21 PM , Blogger keatseatsblog said...

    Oh my gosh. This looks incredible! I love blackberries. And I REALLY love the looks of the crust!

     
    At June 18, 2012 at 6:37 PM , Blogger kitty@ Kitty's Kozy Kitchen said...

    Awwwwww I loved your post about the fun things you did with your Dad!! The blackberry pies look awesome, too!!!

     
    At June 18, 2012 at 7:06 PM , Blogger Karyn said...

    Those look wonderful! I miss my dad every Father's Day and I wish he could have been at my wedding. You are a very lucky lady.

     
    At June 18, 2012 at 8:03 PM , Blogger Jennifer {Mother Thyme} said...

    What a sweet post and sweet dessert! I am a bit obsessed lately with desserts in jars and if they are filled with Blackberry Cream Pie, even better! Love this! :)

     
    At June 19, 2012 at 1:20 AM , Blogger Winnie said...

    These look soooooooooooooooooooo delicious!
    I love the idea of serving in a jar :) Quite unique
    I'm jealous as we don't have here fresh blackberries ):

     
    At June 19, 2012 at 7:03 AM , Blogger Julie said...

    We LOVE blackberries and I can't wait to make this. Pinned and so excited :)

    The Farm Girl

     
    At June 19, 2012 at 7:06 AM , Blogger Sarah @ See Sarah Bake said...

    Thanks so much for your comment! It led me here to your beautiful site. My dad's go to is chocolate chip cookies, without the chocolate chips.....those dad's are strange fellows, aren't they?

     
    At June 19, 2012 at 5:49 PM , Blogger Deb A said...

    This really caught my eye at Mandy's... look delicious!!!

     
    At June 19, 2012 at 6:47 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

    Thanks so much Jennifer! I am too, I have several to post, lol!

     
    At June 19, 2012 at 6:48 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

    Oh, bummer! I wish I could ship you some!

     
    At June 19, 2012 at 6:49 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

    LOL! That's funny...but I kinda get it. Welcome, and thanks for visiting!

     
    At June 23, 2012 at 5:36 AM , Blogger Nicole said...

    Oh my goodness these look fantastic! Im definitely pinning these and need to make them soon. It will be blackberry season here before I know it! Found you through the Saturday Link and Greet party, thanks for sharing!

     
    At June 24, 2012 at 5:23 PM , Blogger Gloria Baker said...

    these look amazing!! I love blackberries too!

     
    At July 22, 2012 at 11:28 AM , Blogger papadoc said...

    Wonder if you could can this recipe?

     
    At July 23, 2012 at 3:56 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

    I think the cream would melt...but if you try it let me know how it goes!

     

    Post a Comment

    Thank you for your comment! Reading your comments is better than eating pie...and if you know me that's saying a lot. :)

    Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

    << Home