10 June 2012

Blueberry Pie Fudge

Pin It


Do you ever get an idea that you are really excited about; one that you really, really want to try out? One that you'll be so excited about it if it works (highlights, yay!) or really bummed if it doesn't (lace jacket? Not in any era, people.)

This recipe is one of those ideas.

Fudge, that tastes like blueberry, that looks like a pie. I have no idea where this idea came to me. Possibly when I was out running, because that's what I do to get through the torture. {I think about fabulous desserts so that by the time I get home I'm totally famished and scarf poptarts because, hey, I just went for a run.}

Then I got an email from a company called Lucky Leaf. Have you heard of them?


They make premium pie fillings for fruit and cream pies, as well as applesauce and apple juice. They make PIE FILLING, yo. I mean, could it have been a more perfect fit? I responded to the email so fast I think I got carpel tunnel.


I waited (im)patiently for my box to arrive. And to my absolute, sheer delight, I received a can of their blueberry pie filling!


Also, they shared strawberry and peach, as well as a cool ice pop mold and some recipes.

But you know me and recipes. I, um, don't follow them.


So anyways, after I got over the glee of having blueberry pie filling to play with, I went about making this recipe.

My first try was using my traditional fudge recipe (fruit of the Gods sweetened condensed milk and white chocolate chips) and well, it didn't work. It was almost one of those "bummed" moments.

And then I remembered all those recipes for two-ingredient fudge awhile back. You know, the ones that used a can of frosting and chocolate chips? Well, the blueberry pie filling was sorta like a can of frosting. It's sweet and thick and delicious. So I made two ingredient fudge - with blueberry pie filling and white chocolate.

And then I added a lattice on top. Because it wouldn't be good fudge without a crust.


Definitely an excited moment recipe. And it's kinda pretty too.

Now I can't wait to use my other Lucky Leaf pie fillings. Strawberry and peach....now I have some running thinking to do. And I want to get some of their chocolate cream and lemon cream...they sound so good!

{Pssst....be sure to come back by tomorrow for CST...where I'm doing a giveaway with Lucky Leaf products!}

Blueberry Pie Fudge

by Crazy for Crust


Ingredients
  • 1 ready-made pie crust (from a pack of 2)
  • ¾ cup blueberry pie filling
  • 3 cups white chocolate chips
Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 350°. Unroll pie crust. (If it begins to stick or crack, let it sit at room temperature for a few minutes until it unrolls smoothly.)
  2. Working on a cutting board and using a straightedge (I used the side of the pie crust box) slice the pie crust vertically into even slices, about ½ inch thick. Lay out a piece of parchment paper (cut to the size of a large cookie sheet). Starting at the left of the pie crust slices, move every other slice to the parchment paper. Place about ½” apart from each other, so that it looks like a striped pie crust. Weave the rest of your strips into the ones you’ve just laid out, one at a time, to make a lattice pattern.
  3. Place a 9” cake pan upside down on top of your lattice. Cut around to make a circle that will fit inside it. Remove excess crust edges, transfer parchment paper to a baking sheet and bake for about 15 minutes, until golden. Remove from oven and prepare fudge.
  4. Line 9” cake pan with foil and spray with cooking spray.
  5. Place ½ can of blueberry pie filling in a blender and puree. Reserve ¾ cup.
  6. Melt white chocolate in a large bowl in microwave on 30 second intervals, stirring between each. Heat until melted through. Stir in blueberry pie filling and spread in 9” cake pan. Carefully top with lattice crust and chill until firm enough to cut. Store in refrigerator. (This fudge is softer than traditional cooked fudge.)
Powered by Recipage

Enjoy, and thanks for reading!


Lucky Leaf sent me three cans of pie filling and the ice pop mold for free. All of my opinions about the product are totally my own.


I link up to all of these fabulous parties each week!
Talent Show Tuesday at Chef in TrainingTrick or Treat Tuesday at Inside BruCrew Life, Cast Party Wednesday at Lady Behind the Curtain, Sweet Treats Thursday at Something Swanky, Chic-and-Crafty at the Frugal Girls, Tastetastic Thursday at A Little Nosh, Sweet Tooth Friday at Alli-n-sons, I'm Lovin' it Fridays at TidyMom, Sweets for a Saturday at Sweet as Sugar Cookies, A Well-Seasoned LifeStrut your Stuff Saturday at Six Sisters' Stuff, and all of these too!

Labels: , , ,

51 Comments:

At June 10, 2012 at 6:13 PM , Blogger mickeyrenee said...

What a cute and original idea! That is perfectly festive for the upcoming 4th of July too. :)

 
At June 10, 2012 at 6:16 PM , Blogger Jenn said...

You seriously make me laugh. I can't remember the last time I heard someone say "yo" and you just did - ha ha!! I think this is the most unique fudge I have ever seen. BTW - your new picture is cute!

 
At June 10, 2012 at 6:27 PM , Blogger Jocelyn said...

Pure genius to use it in place of the frosting!!! And of course it needed a cute crust...it wouldn't be you without the crust:-) I can't wait to see what you make with the pop mold!!!

 
At June 10, 2012 at 6:36 PM , Blogger Susan said...

I'm a runner too and can totally relate to how ideas pop in your head! Ingenious recipe and one on my list. XOXO

 
At June 10, 2012 at 7:03 PM , Blogger Ashley @ Kitchen Meets Girl said...

You are brilliant! This is the cutest pie I've ever seen!!

 
At June 10, 2012 at 7:08 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

You've peaked my interest, yo! Very creative! Sound yummy and the lattice looks beautiful!

 
At June 10, 2012 at 7:11 PM , Blogger Hayley @ The Domestic Rebel said...

Yes! Yum! YUM. Blueberry pie fudge?! I'm so glad you're my genius best friend :) the fudge is gorge, by the way.

 
At June 10, 2012 at 7:13 PM , Blogger cupsbykim said...

That is awesome! Great job! (both on the running and the fudge!)

 
At June 10, 2012 at 7:27 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

Thanks Ashley! :)

 
At June 10, 2012 at 7:30 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

Thanks Hayley! I should have brought you some. I'm still eating it, ha.

 
At June 10, 2012 at 7:32 PM , Blogger Kristin said...

You really are crazy (for crust)! Who thinks of these things?!? That would be so much fun for a kid's party. You could make all different flavors. And sweetened condensed milk is indeed a godly fruit.

 
At June 10, 2012 at 7:32 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

Thanks! Perfect for the fourth, which is a pie holiday too. Well, at least I think so, ha!

 
At June 10, 2012 at 8:06 PM , Blogger The Better Baker said...

I ditto Kristin's comment above...I was thinking the very same thing...HOW DO YOU THINK OF THESE THINGS??? This is pretty amazing...I would LOVE to be given pie filling to make recipes with. You are quite the creative genius....and your photo is just too cute!

 
At June 10, 2012 at 8:21 PM , Blogger Lisa said...

Genius idea! I love how it looks and I would love, love, love how it tastes.

 
At June 10, 2012 at 8:45 PM , Blogger Dip It In Chocolate said...

You just blew my mind.

 
At June 10, 2012 at 8:52 PM , Blogger Delightfully Curious Designs said...

OOOH THAT SOUNDS ENTIRELY TOO GOOD, I'LL BE TRYING THIS, I HAVE 2 PEOPLE IN MY HOUSE RIGHT NOW THAT WOULD JUST GO CRAZY FOR THIS!! THANKS FOR SHARING THIS RECIPE!!
I'M GOING TO FOLLOW YOU SO I DON'T MISS OUT ON ANY OF THESE GREAT IDEAS AGAIN!!

 
At June 10, 2012 at 9:04 PM , Blogger Karyn said...

Sounds interesting. I've never made fudge with frosting. Had no idea.... Also glad to hear that I'm not the only one who doesn't follow recipes :)
I'll be checking back about that giveaway, seeing as I'll be home, not running.

 
At June 10, 2012 at 9:20 PM , Blogger Gloria Baker said...

love blueberries!

 
At June 10, 2012 at 9:39 PM , Blogger Back for Seconds said...

I get so excited when I see an original, unique idea like this one! I love it, girl! I heart blueberry anything and the pie crust just makes it that much cooler.you done good, ha!

 
At June 11, 2012 at 4:07 AM , Blogger Love Bakes Good Cakes said...

Love this idea .... and love the crust :) This just screams summer!

 
At June 11, 2012 at 4:31 AM , Blogger Michael said...

Very cute :)

 
At June 11, 2012 at 5:09 AM , Blogger Shannon said...

That's such a cool idea. I bet the creamy, fruity fudge tastes really good with the crunchy pie crust. Thanks for sharing Dorothy! :)

 
At June 11, 2012 at 5:35 AM , Blogger Ellen @ BakeItWithBooze said...

Nice lattice! I'll be back... ;)

 
At June 11, 2012 at 6:12 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

And it tastes very yummy! Only one slice left...not for long.
Thanks, again,
Mom

 
At June 11, 2012 at 6:40 AM , Blogger Shirley@bells-bakery said...

Wow look at the colour....amazing! what a great idea:)

 
At June 11, 2012 at 7:41 AM , Blogger Sue said...

Very original and so impressive looking! Sounds yummy, and easy too! Looks like you and Lucky Lee are a perfect match, Dorothy!

 
At June 11, 2012 at 7:44 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Holy cow. This looks incredible. The color is amazing!

 
At June 11, 2012 at 8:28 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks sooooo good! It's one of the prettiest pies I've ever seen, too!

 
At June 11, 2012 at 9:54 AM , Blogger Erin said...

Holy kee-rud! This looks so amazing! I love the pie crust lattice on top! I can't wait ti see what you come with for the other fillings too! YUM!

 
At June 11, 2012 at 2:20 PM , Blogger Baking Addict said...

wow this looks amazing!! I get really excited when I have a new idea too and it is a real bummer if it doesn't work out!

 
At June 11, 2012 at 3:08 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, that looks so interesting! Neat idea!

 
At June 11, 2012 at 5:51 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

Yay! :)

 
At June 11, 2012 at 5:51 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

Glad you liked it!

 
At June 11, 2012 at 5:52 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

Thanks! :)

 
At June 11, 2012 at 5:52 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

Thanks Holly! :)

 
At June 11, 2012 at 5:53 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

Thanks!

 
At June 11, 2012 at 5:59 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

Totally! It's a great combo. :)

 
At June 11, 2012 at 6:04 PM , Blogger keatseatsblog said...

This is SO adorable! I LOVE the lattice top, oh my gosh. I could NOT figure out what this was on instagram so I was SO hoping it would be on the blog today!! YAY!

 
At June 11, 2012 at 6:41 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Lucky Leaf has a chocolate cream and a Lemon Cream filling, I've gotta find those! I love that you put a lattice crust on your fudge, and it's blueberry, so wait, yeah, I can pretend it's healthy, blueberry's a fruit, yup, it's healthy!

 
At June 11, 2012 at 7:00 PM , Blogger kitty@ Kitty's Kozy Kitchen said...

Wow, Dorothy, what a creative, fun idea for fudge!! You rock, girlfriend!!!

 
At June 11, 2012 at 7:24 PM , Blogger Linda @ Life and Linda said...

This is very different Dorothy. I have never heard of Lucky Leaf. Where's the chocolate? Yumm!

 
At June 12, 2012 at 11:19 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

So creative - and I feel the exact same way about running!

 
At June 13, 2012 at 7:57 AM , Anonymous Janice E said...

Wow, very cool idea.

 
At June 13, 2012 at 9:44 AM , Anonymous Brenda said...

Blueberry Pie Fudge! You are a genius!!!

 
At June 13, 2012 at 3:01 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

Thank you!

 
At June 13, 2012 at 3:02 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

Lol, thank you. :)

 
At June 14, 2012 at 12:13 PM , Blogger Tobins' Tastes said...

What an amazing idea! Love how it looks like a pie but it is secretly fudge.

Thanks so much for linking up at Mealtime Monday! Hope to see you again next week!

Kaylee

www.couponingncooking.com

 
At June 15, 2012 at 6:56 AM , Blogger Carrie B said...

Where do you come up with these ideas?! Fantastic! I'm obsessed with all things blueberry.

 
At June 20, 2012 at 2:39 PM , Blogger Trish - Mom On Timeout said...

You are such a genius in the kitchen! Love this! Thanks so much for sharing at Mom On Timeout!

 
At June 25, 2012 at 8:15 AM , Anonymous Becca @ Amuse Your Bouche said...

This looks amazing! Just found your blog and I love it, adding it to my reader :)

 
At June 25, 2012 at 12:01 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

Thank you and welcome! :) I hope you enjoy.

 

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment! Reading your comments is better than eating pie...and if you know me that's saying a lot. :)

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home