06 June 2012

Zebra Popcorn

Pin It


Thursday is the last day of school. In just a few short hours, my daughter will be a second grader.

{Hold on a sec, while I get my hanky.}

I cannot believe the change in her this year. She has learned an amazing amount. She can read, actual books. (She may not want to read, but at least she can.)

She can count money. Add and subtract. She knows what volume is. She can measure.

And, thanks to a big project she had to do, she knows all about zebras. More than I do, in fact.

Did you know that baby zebras are born with brown stripes? And that they turn black as they mature?

Zebras are herbivores that live in the grasslands of Africa. {Three big words I had no idea my seven year old could pronounce, BTW.}




I was so excited she chose the zebra as her animal for her project. You see, when she was little, she couldn't  pronounce the "z" sound. She said "yee-bra" and "yipper" instead of zebra and zipper. She's been able to say her z's for quite some time now, but I still call it a yee-bra. And I always ask her if I can yip up her sweater for her.

And she usually just rolls her eyes at me now. Because she's a grown up second grader and all.

Anyway, Jordan is in love with zebras. So much in love with them in fact that we were at the mall and came upon the popcorn store. You know, the one where they sell bags of popcorn for $7?

{Um, no. I'm not going to spend $7 for something I can make for free at home, because I already have all the ingredients.}

To avoid the impending tantrum, I told her I'd make it for her when we got home.

So I did.


This popcorn represents way more to me than just a treat that Jordan wanted. More than "hey I like zebras so I want zebra popcorn."

This treat happened because of why Jordan was so in love with zebras.

Because one person inspired her to be so passionate about something that she wanted to know everything about it. One person helped her learn to read better. One person saw she needed help with math and got her the help she needed. I have one person to thank for this school year being as awesome as it was.

And that one person is Jordan's teacher, the superfabulousawesomebestteacherever, Mrs. E.

Those are Jordan's words for her. {And mine too.}

So, thanks Mrs. E., for all you do. You inspired my daughter to demand popcorn.

And to know that the popcorn was a baby because it has brown stripes, not black.


Zebra Popcorn

by Crazy for Crust


Ingredients
  • ¼ cup brown sugar
  • ¼ cup butter
  • ¼ teaspoon salt
  • 4 ounce bag of popped popcorn, kernels removed
  • 12 ounces (1/2 package) white almond bark or candy coating
  • 1 cup milk or semi-sweet chocolate chips
Instructions
  1. Place popped popcorn in a large bowl. Make sure all the un-popped kernels are removed!
  2. Melt white candy coating according to package directions. Melt chocolate chips. Line a large cookie sheet with waxed paper.
  3. Melt brown sugar, butter, and salt together over medium heat until sugar is dissolved. Cook, boiling, for 2-3 minutes. Pour over popcorn and stir. Add white chocolate and stir until coated. Spread out onto cookie sheet. Drizzle chocolate over the top and let harden. Break into pieces and enjoy.
Powered by Recipage

Enjoy!





I link up to all of these fabulous parties each week!
Talent Show Tuesday at Chef in TrainingTrick or Treat Tuesday at Inside BruCrew Life, Cast Party Wednesday at Lady Behind the Curtain, Sweet Treats Thursday at Something Swanky, Chic-and-Crafty at the Frugal Girls, Tastetastic Thursday at A Little Nosh, Sweet Tooth Friday at Alli-n-sons, I'm Lovin' it Fridays at TidyMom, Sweets for a Saturday at Sweet as Sugar Cookies, A Well-Seasoned LifeStrut your Stuff Saturday at Six Sisters' Stuff, and all of these too!

Labels: ,

35 Comments:

At June 6, 2012 at 6:08 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

well congrats to you too! my girls love popcorn too, but plain. not of this fancy stuff, id' eat it all :)

 
At June 6, 2012 at 6:10 PM , Blogger Christina @ Still Lucky said...

I wish I had some of this right now to munch on. Gotta get popcorn!

 
At June 6, 2012 at 6:55 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

Yeah, she ate two servings and guess who ate the rest? :)

 
At June 6, 2012 at 7:19 PM , Blogger Hayley @ The Domestic Rebel said...

Awh, how cute. I am so glad Jordan was so inspired by her awesomefantastical teacher--really, awesome teachers rock!! And zebras are totally awesome--so is zebra popcorn :) cheers for not caving into shmopcornmopolis and making your own which I'm sure is WAY better anyways!!

 
At June 6, 2012 at 8:31 PM , Blogger Back for Seconds said...

Aww, cute much?? Love this post :)
And i love the idea for zebra popcorn. So fun!

 
At June 6, 2012 at 8:57 PM , Anonymous Christina @ Oven Adventures said...

totally gonna admit that this post made me a little weepy. Obviously, you have a super fabulously smart daughter!!

 
At June 6, 2012 at 10:01 PM , Blogger Kristin said...

Absolutely lovely. I'm glad your kid learned so much from an awesome teacher. As for the "I have a 2nd grader now", I just about cried when I watched my 4th graders from LAST year graduate from 5th grade a couple of weeks ago. I can't imagine what it's like as a parent!

 
At June 7, 2012 at 4:03 AM , Blogger Shirley@bells-bakery said...

Awww I love this post,time goes way too fast! love the popcorn!

 
At June 7, 2012 at 4:21 AM , Anonymous Sue @ Cakeballs, cookies and more said...

aw I miss the little words too, my kid would say eeple instead of people and I loved it. And makin instead of bacon, and I still ask him if he wants some makin, and now he too rolls his eyes. where did our babies go? i think I need some yeebra popcorn to make it all better.

 
At June 7, 2012 at 5:10 AM , Blogger Michael said...

Awwww, so sweet. I want some yee-bra popcorn too. And I know what you mean about teary eyed Dorothy. My "baby" is going into third grade, and my oldest "baby" is going to be a sophomore in high school and takes driver's ed this summer. I will be quite weepy in july and will need some yeebra popcorn then too!!!

 
At June 7, 2012 at 5:50 AM , Blogger Nicky @ Pink Recipe Box said...

Such a sweet story! I love homemade fancy popcorn and definitely want to try this one out!

 
At June 7, 2012 at 6:25 AM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

Thanks Nicola!

 
At June 7, 2012 at 6:26 AM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

Oh, those words. For the longest time I forbade everyone to correct her. She lost the last one, her heart is "beeping" just recently. :(

 
At June 7, 2012 at 6:26 AM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

That's for sure! Thank you Shirley!

 
At June 7, 2012 at 6:27 AM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

Aw, thanks Christina. :)

 
At June 7, 2012 at 6:28 AM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

Thanks Hayley! Definitely better, because I'm not smarting from the huge chunk of cash I laid out. :)

 
At June 7, 2012 at 7:57 AM , Blogger Susan said...

I do caramel popcorn all the time, especially to give as gifts, but this would be a great change. Somehow, I think of popcorn as healthy:-D

 
At June 7, 2012 at 10:07 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

I feel your pain. My daughter starts secondary school here in September!! I believe that's high school over there. I'm so nervous for her, things tend to get messy and hard when kids reach this point in their lives.

My other two daughters will be in 4th and 5th grade. Growing up so fast! :'( My youngest has speech problems so loving the zebra popcorn. I might have to make these for her so I can get her to pronounce her Z's a million times while she eats, LOL.

Love the dedicated theme and story.

-Lisa.
Sweet 2 Eat Baking

 
At June 7, 2012 at 1:55 PM , Anonymous Tanya said...

Sigh, my kids just got out of school too. Can't believe how much they've changed. I love to hear how excited they get when they learn new things! I think teachers are the most wonderful people in the world!!!! I'm taking my kids to the drive in and I think this would be great popcorn to sneak in!

 
At June 7, 2012 at 2:47 PM , Blogger Erin said...

Your zebra popcorn looks delicious! What a fantastic post for your daughter's teacher! It's amazing when someone can inspire such young minds and make them WANT to learn and see life through new glasses. How cool that your daughter got to have such an amazing teacher! I hope she reads your post!!!

 
At June 7, 2012 at 3:57 PM , Anonymous Shawn @ I Wash You Dry said...

Yay for 2nd grade! And I totally laughed at your yipping up her sweater!! Lol this popcorn sounds so good! I am going to make this today!!

 
At June 7, 2012 at 6:18 PM , Anonymous Baking Serendipity said...

I love this post! Your appreciation and pride is so touching and your popcorn looks delicious!

 
At June 7, 2012 at 7:17 PM , Blogger The Better Baker said...

What a great post! Those babes do grow too quickly for sure. I think zebras are fascinating...and how fun, Mommy, that you made this special treat for her. Terrific Idea!

 
At June 7, 2012 at 8:12 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Congrats to Jordan!! And what a nice way to give some love to her amazing teacher. An amazing teacher like that is worth so much and has such a profound impact on how a child views learning forever.

 
At June 8, 2012 at 6:15 AM , Blogger Ashley @ Kitchen Meets Girl said...

We're starting kindergarten in the fall and I'm about to have a breakdown about it. The time goes WAY too fast, that is for sure. I love the idea of zebra popcorn--totally awesome, without shelling out a boatload of cash. Win!

 
At June 8, 2012 at 10:54 AM , Blogger Melanie @ bear rabbit bear said...

I love the name of this recipe!! Thanks for linking this to Things I've Done Thursday!

 
At June 9, 2012 at 10:08 AM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

Thanks Shawn!

 
At June 9, 2012 at 10:09 AM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

So true! Thanks Trish!

 
At June 9, 2012 at 10:10 AM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

It goes way too fast. I feel like we we starting kinder just yesterday!

 
At June 9, 2012 at 10:27 AM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

Thank you!

 
At June 9, 2012 at 10:29 AM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

For sure. But I might not share, lol.

 
At June 9, 2012 at 12:35 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

My kids would love this! Thanks so much for linking up to Heavenly Treats Sunday!

 
At June 11, 2012 at 8:05 PM , Blogger Six Sisters said...

This looks so delicious! We love fun popcorn recipes! We are so happy to have you join us for our "Strut Your Stuff Saturday". Please come back soon!! -The Sisters

 
At June 18, 2012 at 10:08 AM , Blogger The Cooking Actress said...

awww how sweet! And what yummy popcorn!

 
At June 18, 2012 at 4:18 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

Thank you!

 

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment! Reading your comments is better than eating pie...and if you know me that's saying a lot. :)

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home