04 June 2012

Crumb Apple Pie {A Recipe Re-do Blog Hop}

Pin It


So this is a recipe re-do. I made it in the first few months of this blog. And, well, I'm not proud of how the post looks. When Ashton mentioned doing a re-do post and making it a blog hop, I knew immediately that I was going to re-make this pie.

You see, this pie is special. One, my husband loves it. He cannot turn it down (and ate two slices of it).

And two, it's the pie that inspired the blog name. Because we love the crust and the crumb of this pie more than the apple filling and one night, chowing down, the idea for a crust-loving store/site/something was born.

And now, here I am, a few years later, working on that dream.

So this pie needed a new place here on this site. Badly.

Plus, it's always good to re-do some things in life. What would you re-do, if you could?



I would definitely go back and pay more attention to the HTML unit in my programming class in college, instead of copying off my future husband.


I would re-do so many things about my wedding. The colors (um, evergreen? really?) and the attendants.

But not the cake. No way, I wouldn't change that for the world.


I'd go back in time to the sixth grade and tell myself, do NOT crimp your hair for your school photo. Have you ever seen someones head look like a triangle?

Oh, and for sure I would go back to when I saw City of Angels (you know, Meg Ryan and Nicholas Cage) and leave 10 minutes before the ending. I stayed until then end of the movie, and it still haunts me.


I might have re-done the pictures of this pie, and the post. But I will never change the ingredients or the way I make it. Except maybe to add more crumble. More crumble is always better.

My secret in this pie? I cook the apples a little before adding them to the pie crust. I don't like chewy apples. (Are you surprised?)

I also make my crust with butter only. No offense to shortening users. I'm just not a huge fan. So I use all butter.

Butter is good.


Tart apples. Sweet cinnamon. Crunchy, sweet, crumbly topping. Add some ice cream and you've got a meal.

Hmmm...I may have to re-do it again. I don't know if I like the pictures enough... ;)

Crumb Apple Pie

by Crazy for Crust

Ingredients
    For the Crust
    • 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
    • 1/4 teaspoon salt
    • 1/2 cup butter, diced and chilled
    • 3-4 tablespoons of ice water
    For the Filling
    • 6 or 7 large Granny Smith apples
    • ¼ - ½ cup sugar
    • ¾ teaspoons cinnamon
    • For the Crumb+
    • 2/3 cup sugar
    • 1 ½ cups flour
    • 12 tablespoons butter, slightly softened
    Instructions
    Make the Crust
    1. Combine flour and salt in food processor. Add butter and process until it resembles coarse crumbs. Add water, one tablespoon at a time, until mixture forms a ball.
    2. Two options for the next step: wrap in plastic and refrigerate 4 hours or overnight, until ready to use OR roll out crust immediately between two pieces of wax paper and press into pie plate. Chill at least 30 minutes, while you are getting the rest of the filling ready.

    *This recipe makes one crust. Double recipe to make a two-crust pie.*


    Make the Filling and Assemble
    1. Peel and slice apples to desired thickness. Place one inch of water in the bottom of a large pot. Add apples and cook, stirring occasionally, approximately 5 minutes. You want the apples semi-opaque but not mushy.
    2. While apples are cooking, add the crumb ingredients to a large bowl. Using a fork or pastry cutter, cut the ingredients together until they form coarse crumbs, about the size of a pea.
    3. Drain apples well and place in chilled pie shell. Sprinkle remaining ¼ - ½ cup sugar (depending on your desired sweetness) and cinnamon over apples. Add your crumb mixture evenly on top. Place pie on a cookie sheet to avoid mess in the oven.
    4. Bake at 400° for 35-40 minutes. You may need to cover center of pie with foil during baking if your crumb topping is browning too fast.

    *To make the star toppers, I used a refrigerated pie crust I had laying around. Cut your shapes and add to the top of the crumb before baking.*

    Pie may be made a day in advance. Refrigerate overnight. Serve with whipped cream or ice cream.

    Powered by Recipage


    And hey! Something Swanky is hosting this recipe re-do blog hop. Be sure and go see what some other great bloggers decided to re-make...I'm drooling already!





    Enjoy!



    I link up to all of these fabulous parties each week!
    Talent Show Tuesday at Chef in TrainingTrick or Treat Tuesday at Inside BruCrew Life, Cast Party Wednesday at Lady Behind the Curtain, Sweet Treats Thursday at Something Swanky, Chic-and-Crafty at the Frugal Girls, Tastetastic Thursday at A Little Nosh, Sweet Tooth Friday at Alli-n-sons, I'm Lovin' it Fridays at TidyMom, Sweets for a Saturday at Sweet as Sugar Cookies, A Well-Seasoned LifeStrut your Stuff Saturday at Six Sisters' Stuff, and all of these too!

    Labels: , ,

    46 Comments:

    At June 4, 2012 at 4:57 AM , Anonymous Robyn said...

    Dorothy,

    It's interesting that you would re-do your wedding attendants. A few years ago I was in a similar conversation and I think a lot of people would re-do the same. My how life changes.

    Good job on this Apple Pie re-do, looks delicious.

     
    At June 4, 2012 at 4:59 AM , Blogger Shirley@bells-bakery said...

    These photos soo do not need a re-do,they are drool-worthy! All I want is that slice at the end with a big dollop of ice-cream :) Crimping hair? Ya I think everyone is guilty of that,ha ha triangle head..ahh the memories:)

     
    At June 4, 2012 at 5:55 AM , Anonymous Becca @ Crumbs and Chaos said...

    My husband is totally crazy for pie - adding this to my must make list! I love the addition of the little stars on top. So glad you decided you're crazy for crust and started this blog :)

     
    At June 4, 2012 at 5:58 AM , Anonymous Ashley @ Kitchen Meets Girl said...

    Your pie looks awesome, and so do your pictures. If you think something needs a re-do, check out my first blog pictures--yikes! My hubby loves apple pie; I'm pinning this one to make for a special occasion!

     
    At June 4, 2012 at 6:39 AM , Blogger Michael said...

    Oh girl this looks fantastic. Your stories crack me up. I could never get crimping to work, so instead I spiral permed my hair. Not cool my friend, not cool. This pie though? Very cool!

     
    At June 4, 2012 at 6:59 AM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

    I hope you like it Ashley!

    And, please, I beg you not to look back at my first posts. I almost want to delete them they are so bad! :)

     
    At June 4, 2012 at 7:07 AM , Blogger Hayley @ The Domestic Rebel said...

    Holy crap, this looks so good. Apple pie is my beyond fave pie EVER and the crumbier the better! Plus, I love the stars :) and I remember getting a crimper in elementary school because I wanted my hair to look like--*drumroll*--a Barbie doll's hair. Note: crimping looks good on Barbie's hair since well, she's Barbie and that chick can do no wrong, but crimping does NOT look okay in real life. Ughhhhh.

     
    At June 4, 2012 at 7:13 AM , Blogger Susan said...

    I love the idea of the stars on top of the crumb crust; it really would be perfect for the July 4th picnic. I also cook my apples first to release some of the juices and use some concentrated apple cider to flavor them.
    Apple Pie for breakfast would be fantastic this morning! XOXO

     
    At June 4, 2012 at 7:49 AM , Blogger Sue said...

    Looks like you nailed it in your re-do! Yep, definitely can't have TOO MUCH crumble:) I want to re-do MANY of my first post~yikes!

     
    At June 4, 2012 at 7:54 AM , Blogger Sophie said...

    I agree! Butter is always good! Can't go wrong with a little "Julia Child' right? (;

     
    At June 4, 2012 at 8:10 AM , Blogger keatseatsblog said...

    ummmmm YES-- I think you should definitely re-do this post. I mean, it's clearly still not right. So let's say another re-do around Christmas time? When I'm in Cali???? And you'll re-do this pie again?? YESSSSS.

     
    At June 4, 2012 at 8:17 AM , Blogger Mandy Bird said...

    Sigh. I just want a piece of this so badly. I'm sad now. I better go make one myself!

     
    At June 4, 2012 at 8:19 AM , Blogger erica said...

    This pie looks so good and is so pretty! xo

     
    At June 4, 2012 at 8:57 AM , Blogger Dip It In Chocolate said...

    I love that I'm not the only one who cooks the apples first. Crunchy apples in pie kinda creeps my mouth out.

     
    At June 4, 2012 at 10:08 AM , Blogger Kristin said...

    I truly believe that shortening makes everything better. But we can agree to disagree :)
    My cousin (in 2000) had John Deere green and yellow (with sunflowers) as her wedding colors. If I could go back, I'd probably blow more money on my wedding. Everyone says it was great, but I would've gone with a more upscale venue, better photographers, and a better DJ.

     
    At June 4, 2012 at 10:28 AM , Blogger Maria said...

    What a beautiful and delicious looking pie!!!!

     
    At June 4, 2012 at 10:46 AM , Blogger Back for Seconds said...

    This looks like the ultimate apple pie. I am feeling a little star struck by it's inspiring famousness. You even put pie crust stars on top, LOVE! I am with you, butter all the way. What would I redo....let's not go there.

     
    At June 4, 2012 at 12:43 PM , Blogger Me And My Sweets said...

    Hi Dorothy,

    I just wanted you to know that your contribution for My Sweet Party was amongst my top three favourites. Your Chocolate dipped peanut butter donuts looked and sounded amazing!!! Please check out the post were I featured you here

    http://meandmysweets.blogspot.se/2012/06/my-sweet-party-top-three-chocolate.html


    Btw your apple pie is adorable!!

    XX

    Johanna

     
    At June 4, 2012 at 1:28 PM , Blogger Julie said...

    Oh I love apple pie and this is pinned so I can totally make it!! And I totally agree about some of those redo in my life (my wedding colors were horrid, the perm is 9th grade was even worse, the red wranglers and cowboy boots in junior high were not very flattering, and the list goes on). Thank heavens we get to redo recipes on our blogs because wow all of us have come so far!! :)

    The Farm Girl

     
    At June 4, 2012 at 1:29 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

    I would re-do YOUR re-do anytime...looks so yummy. Hey, hilarious on the hair crimp comment, I know that all too well.

     
    At June 4, 2012 at 2:29 PM , Blogger Ellen @ BakeItWithBooze said...

    I am now a HUGE fan of apple pie with crumb topping...And, yes, you would love it with cheese. ;)

     
    At June 4, 2012 at 4:43 PM , Blogger Jocelyn said...

    I need a huge slice of this awesome pie while contemplate what all I would redo!!! Love the cute extra pie crust stars!!! I'm thanking my lucky stars that the crimper never worked on curly hair;-)

     
    At June 4, 2012 at 6:57 PM , Blogger Erin said...

    Your pie looks amazing!!! Wonderful pics! You are so funny. I would re-do a ton of moments. The crimping hair one made me laugh! Mine would be the Dorothy Hammel haircut in 6th grade. Hello! It didn't even look good on here! What was I thinking??!!

    On another note =o) I made your S;more Cookie Tarts and they were AMAZING!!! But I failed at following your directions so they aren't as cool looking as yours. But the taste? Fantastic! Thanks!

     
    At June 4, 2012 at 8:25 PM , Blogger Little Susie Home Maker said...

    What a cute idea! I like the re-do party theme! Your apple crumb sounds wonderful. Your post is funny, too! Thanks for the stories.
    Blessings,
    Susie

     
    At June 4, 2012 at 11:00 PM , Blogger Emily Meyers said...

    Hey there! Love your blog! I found you via the MMM blog hop and just added myself to your followers! Also I wanted to invite you to come enter a fabulous Steve Madden giveaway I'm having right now!!
    Hope to see you there! And thanks so much lady!
    Emily

    http://emilymmeyers.blogspot.com/2012/06/steve-madden-giveaway.html

     
    At June 5, 2012 at 7:49 AM , Blogger Winnie said...

    Don't have to convince me - I looooooooove crumb-apple-pie and lucky me all my family share my feeling
    I love the little stars on top - wonderful idea!

     
    At June 5, 2012 at 8:03 AM , Blogger Lisa Boyle said...

    This looks SO good! Thanks so much for linking up with "Try a New Recipe Tuesday!" We love apple pie here and definitely are going to try this one! :-)

     
    At June 6, 2012 at 7:20 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

    Your apple pie looks lovely! What a great idea for a hop. I totally have a blog post that I want to redo! It was one of my very first posts and its been getting a lot of hits lately and the pictures just aren't very good!

     
    At June 6, 2012 at 5:29 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

    I am not fan of shortening as well. Butter works just fine! your recipe sounds reaaly great!

     
    At June 7, 2012 at 11:10 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

    The best part of that pie is the stars on top. Love it!

    tracie
    weddedblissplusbaby.blogspot.com

     
    At June 7, 2012 at 2:03 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

    Thanks!

     
    At June 7, 2012 at 2:03 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

    Thanks! Everything is better with butter!

     
    At June 7, 2012 at 2:04 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

    Thanks I hope you enjoy it!

     
    At June 7, 2012 at 2:05 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

    Thanks do muh, and welcome!

     
    At June 7, 2012 at 2:05 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

    Thanks so much!

     
    At June 7, 2012 at 2:06 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

    I totally need to try that!

     
    At June 7, 2012 at 2:07 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

    Lol! Thanks Julie!

     
    At June 7, 2012 at 2:07 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

    Yes! Exactly! :)

     
    At June 7, 2012 at 2:08 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

    For sure not!

     
    At June 7, 2012 at 2:09 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

    No it most definitely does not! Lol

     
    At June 10, 2012 at 1:02 PM , Blogger Rachel Cotterill said...

    Mmmm, I would definitely love a slice of that pie! And I like a good amount of crust-to-filling myself :)

     
    At June 10, 2012 at 5:00 PM , Blogger Kimberly said...

    Found you on Mopping it up Monday's...the pie looks awesome along with a lot of your other recipes.

    I'm your newest follower.

    Kimberly @ mypinterestreality.com

     
    At June 10, 2012 at 7:37 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

    Welcome, and thanks! :) I'm glad to have you.

     
    At June 11, 2012 at 2:41 PM , Blogger Andrea said...

    Oh man am I crazy for crust also. I found this on pinterest and will have to make this the next time I make apple pie. So happy to be your newest follower. When you have a chance come by and check me out at www.questfordelish.blogspot.com

     
    At June 11, 2012 at 6:37 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

    Thanks so much for coming and welcome! I hope you enjoy. :)

     
    At July 21, 2012 at 11:12 AM , Blogger Becky Elmuccio said...

    Looks delicious! And I wold skip the end of City of Angels too!

     

    Post a Comment

    Thank you for your comment! Reading your comments is better than eating pie...and if you know me that's saying a lot. :)

    Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

    << Home