27 May 2012

Red, White, and Blue Cupcake Tops

Pin It


Happy Memorial Day! Whatcha all up too?

Wait, what? You're not reading blogs on your day off?

Well then, you're missing out on probably the easiest Memorial Day treat ever.

To be perfectly honest, I never usually make red, white, and blue treats for Memorial Day. I never thought about it, really, until we went to a BBQ last year thrown by a military family.

Then I kinda got it. I'm slow that way.

Anyway, this is a super simple idea to dress up your dessert table tomorrow. In case you haven't set your menu down to the last morsel.

{I mean, not everyone is as anal as I am. I don't think.}

This idea totally came from two of my favorite blogs, BruCrew Life (Mini Brownie Fruit Pizzas) and Shugary Sweets (Carrot Cake Muffin Tops). In their recipes, they used a muffin top pan to make muffins or brownies. When I saw each of those posts, I was totally sad and ready to throw a fit that I didn't have a muffin top pan.

And then I realized I did have a Whoopie Pie Pan. You know, the one I've never made whoopie pies in?


I was making some chocolate cupcakes and had some batter left over. So I baked it up in my whoopie pie pan.

Then I topped them with blue buttercream, Cool Whip, and strawberries. To make the more patriotic.

And, stop right there young ladies. No need to have a tantrum of your own if you don't have a whoopie pie or a muffin top pan. This method of decoration would work perfectly well with regular cupcakes. I just happen to think making them in a special pan makes them special.

{Blogger Rule #4: Special pans make your treats more magical and glittery.}

Totally easy peasy. Which is perfect for a busy holiday weekend when you have so much to do, like swim and drink cocktails.


Enjoy!


Red, White, and Blue Cupcake Tops

by Crazy for Crust

Ingredients
  • 1 box cake mix (white or chocolate) plus ingredients to make cupcakes
  • 1 can of white frosting (or your favorite recipe)
  • Blue food coloring
  • 1 container Cool Whip, defrosted (you will not need the whole thing)
  • 1 package strawberries, hulled and sliced in half
Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare cake mix according to package directions. Spray your whoopie pie or muffin top pan with cooking spray and fill about 1/2 full with batter. Bake about 10-15 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean. Repeat for remaining batter. Let cool before frosting.
  2. Tint your white frosting the desired color blue. Frost the top of each cupcake top. Top with a dollop of Cool Whip and a sliced strawberry.

*Note: one entire cake mix will make a lot of cupcake tops, which will result in you going back and forth with your one pan to your oven. This is a great method if you have some extra batter left over from cupcakes, so you don't make as many tops.*

Powered by Recipage





I link up to all of these fabulous parties each week!
Chef in TrainingTrick or Treat TuesdayCast Party WednesdaySweet Treats ThursdayChic-and-CraftyTastetastic ThursdaySweet Tooth FridayI'm Lovin' it FridaysSweets for a SaturdayA Well-Seasoned LifeStrut your Stuff Saturday, Weekend Wrap Up Party, Weekend Potluckand all of these too!

Labels: ,

52 Comments:

At May 27, 2012 at 5:12 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

This dessert looks so good, you gave me an idea for my dessert for out cookout tomorrow, love this. Thanks for sharing.

 
At May 27, 2012 at 5:31 PM , Blogger Robin @ Bird On A Cake said...

I have to admit, I did not know muffin top pans existed. What a great idea! My son would especially love them, since he only eats the tops off cupcakes. :0)

 
At May 27, 2012 at 6:31 PM , Blogger Erin said...

These look fantastic! Is a whoopie pie pan a muffin top pan? Because I have one of those and it never occurred to me that I could make whoopie pies in it. Um, hello?! Of maybe it's a different pan and I'm clueless....

 
At May 27, 2012 at 6:59 PM , Blogger Karyn said...

How fun! Looks wonderful for the weekend!

 
At May 27, 2012 at 7:13 PM , Blogger Sugar Swings said...

great way to use up the leftovers! love the idea :)

 
At May 27, 2012 at 7:17 PM , Blogger Michelle said...

i love the way you write Dorothy! always brings a smile to my face! :)

 
At May 27, 2012 at 8:14 PM , Blogger Kristin said...

The more frosting, the better! I'd put this topping on sugar cookies!

 
At May 27, 2012 at 8:28 PM , Blogger Ashley @ Kitchen Meets Girl said...

Oooh, I love these!! Hee, I totally understand the "need" for special baking pans! =)

 
At May 28, 2012 at 5:14 AM , Blogger Nicky @ Pink Recipe Box said...

So cute and easy to whip up! These really are the perfect treat for Memorial Day.

 
At May 28, 2012 at 5:17 AM , Anonymous Sue @ Cakeballs, cookies and more said...

LOL so fun, I totally never wanted a whoopie pie pan until I read how others used them for cookies and stuff, then I totally needed one!

 
At May 28, 2012 at 6:16 AM , Blogger keatseatsblog said...

cute, cute, cute!

 
At May 28, 2012 at 7:07 AM , Blogger Julie said...

Great idea!! Loving it :)

The Farm Girl

 
At May 28, 2012 at 7:19 AM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

Glad I have company in that one Ashley! Thanks so much and have a great holiday! :)

 
At May 28, 2012 at 7:19 AM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

Thank you! Totally super easy. :)

 
At May 28, 2012 at 7:20 AM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

I know, huh? I've never actually made whoopie pies in mine. :)

 
At May 28, 2012 at 7:34 AM , Blogger Elizabeth said...

Cupcake tops are my favorite!

 
At May 28, 2012 at 8:41 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

I have walked past the whoopie pie on the sale rack at sur la table a jillion times! I knew I'd never get around to whoopie pies....but I would totally make cupcake tops!!! The perfect ratio of cupcake to frosting!!! Brilliant my friend! and now I have a reason to head back to sur la table!!!!

 
At May 28, 2012 at 10:11 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Miam! These look amazing! And I like the 'patriotic' look with the blue, red and white! Being from Quebec, Canada, I think I'm gonna work on my patriotic version by adding a Quebec flavor with some Organic maple Syrup. I'll try to find a Maple syrup preparation and try this out. I'll keep you posted! (by the way, should you sometimes work with Maple Syrup, I suggest you to try the Rouge Maple one, only available online). Bon appetit!

 
At May 28, 2012 at 11:23 AM , Blogger Hayley @ The Domestic Rebel said...

I tooootally need a whoopie pie pan so I can A) make these, obvi; B) make other yummy treats like deep dish cookies and um, whoopie pies; and C) so I can be magical and glittery too. These are so cute!

 
At May 28, 2012 at 3:10 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

This is a real creative idea for something tasty and patriotic! You never cease to amaze that is for sure!

 
At May 28, 2012 at 3:26 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Oh niiiiceee! I love how you've made these out of leftover batter. Loving the colours, so patriotic! The strawberry is the perfect touch.

I so need myself a whoopie pie pan so I can make these.

-Lisa.
Sweet 2 Eat Baking

 
At May 28, 2012 at 3:52 PM , Blogger Dip It In Chocolate said...

Haha, I have never used my whoopie pan for whoopie pies either. Blogger rule #4... can totally testify to that!

 
At May 28, 2012 at 4:21 PM , Blogger Deb A said...

These are amazing and so festive...just saw you on Mix it up Monday...

 
At May 28, 2012 at 10:00 PM , Blogger Jocelyn said...

Fun baking pans are definitely more magical:-) What a fun and awesome dessert idea!!! I love the contrast of colors with the chocolate whoopie pie. Now you have me wanting to break my pan out again. Thanks for the fun mention to my brownies too:-) Awesome surprise!!!!

 
At May 29, 2012 at 2:32 AM , Anonymous madge | the vegetarian casserole queen said...

I love these patriotic treats! And I'm thrilled to learn whoopie pie pans exist, but as a Pennsylvanian I'm ashamed to even admit that I didn't know about them and also that I've never made them.

Thanks for all the eye opening tips!

 
At May 29, 2012 at 6:49 AM , Blogger Lisa Boyle said...

Love this! Like the last comment, I am from PA and didn't know that whoopie pans existed. These look absolutely adorable! I will keep them in mind for the 4th of July! :-) Thanks for linking up with "Try a New Recipe Tuesday!"

 
At May 29, 2012 at 7:49 AM , Blogger Liz Snowden said...

These are great! I love that they're just bite size. Thanks for linking up at Tasty Tuesday!

 
At May 29, 2012 at 7:52 AM , Blogger Jessica said...

So yummy and cute!

 
At May 29, 2012 at 10:47 AM , Blogger Ellen @ BakeItWithBooze said...

I need these today as it's my first day back at work after a week of vacation! I NEED these NOW! ;)

 
At May 29, 2012 at 10:53 AM , Blogger Tobins' Tastes said...

So cute and such an easy idea for a holiday dessert. I see myself making this with lots of different color schemes : )

Thanks for linking up at Mealtime Monday!

 
At May 29, 2012 at 2:06 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

Aw, thanks Michelle. That's so sweet! It's what I aim for. :)

 
At May 29, 2012 at 2:09 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

Oh, maple syrup. Maple frosting. LOVE. That's such a great idea!

 
At May 29, 2012 at 2:09 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

You totally do. :)

 
At May 29, 2012 at 2:09 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

Thanks Trish! You're sweet. :)

 
At May 29, 2012 at 2:10 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

LOL! Good to know I have company!

 
At May 29, 2012 at 2:13 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

You're welcome! It's just another pan to take up space, but which I have recently learned I can't live without, LOL. :)

 
At May 29, 2012 at 2:14 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

Thanks Lisa!

 
At May 29, 2012 at 2:15 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

Thanks!

 
At May 29, 2012 at 2:15 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

LOL, good luck back at work Ellen! Sugar will surely get you through. And vodka. ;)

 
At May 29, 2012 at 2:15 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

Thanks so much! Great idea!

 
At June 1, 2012 at 8:04 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yummy - and I like how they have strawberries to make them healthier :O)

 
At June 1, 2012 at 11:32 AM , Blogger Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch said...

These are perfect for the fourth! I need a whoopie pan pan! So very cute! Thanks for stopping by sweetie and linking up! You left me feeling festive for the 4th! Have a fabulous weekend!

 
At June 2, 2012 at 5:08 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Just stopping by to let you know that you've been featured at The Gunny Sack! http://www.thegunnysack.com/2012/06/who-was-stuffed-in-gunny-sack-week-39.html

 
At June 3, 2012 at 8:01 AM , Blogger TidyMom said...

So fun and festive!!
Thanks for linking up. I featured your post in my wrap up! http://tidymom.net/2012/12-summer-recipes-wallpapers/ Have a great rest of the weekend!

 
At June 3, 2012 at 6:56 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

Thanks Serena!

 
At June 3, 2012 at 6:56 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

For sure, lol.

 
At June 4, 2012 at 5:15 AM , Blogger Emily Thompson said...

BEAUTIFUL!!!! this is so festive! I will be featuring you at this coming weeks Tasty Tuesday Party. stop by and grab a featured button (if you don't already have one!)Thanks for linking! http://www.nap-timecreations.com/

 
At June 6, 2012 at 1:39 PM , Blogger Trish - Mom On Timeout said...

I don't have a super special pan but I guess I need to get one :) These are so pretty! Thanks so much for sharing at Mom On Timeout!

 
At June 29, 2012 at 8:49 PM , Blogger Talitha said...

Man! Dream come true! JUST THE TOPS!! Amazing! I love it! Can you send some to me in Colorado!? They look delicious! www.lovepomegrantehouse.com

 
At June 30, 2012 at 7:03 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow those look so yummy!! And the beautiful presentation makes them a must have!!

 
At July 1, 2012 at 6:22 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

I wish I could! Thanks so much for your comment!

 
At July 1, 2012 at 6:23 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

Thank you so much!

 

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment! Reading your comments is better than eating pie...and if you know me that's saying a lot. :)

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home