17 May 2012

Strawberry Cheesecake Cupcakes with White Chocolate Frosting

Pin It



A lot of things go good in pairs:

Peanut butter and chocolate

Peanut butter and marshmallow fluff

Chocolate and coconut

Pie and ice cream

Clam chowder and sourdough

Margaritas and Mexican food

Coffee and Dorothy

The Real Housewives (of anywhere) and alcohol {for me, not for them}

A bath and a good book

The Soup and Friday night

Cupcakes and cheesecake




That last one; I've done it before. Remember those?

{Somehow, this week became "redo the recipe with new ingredients" week.}

But as soon as I realized that the ingredients for the Improv Challenge this month was to be Strawberries and Cream and that the "cream" could be cream cheese, I knew I had to make these. I've had so many Cheesecake Cupcakes in my head since January, one of them had to bust out before I burst.

I put out a call on Facebook for strawberry cupcake recipes. Ones with out chunks. (You know me. I don't like chunks.) Kim responded with an awesome recipe that is even better because it's a doctored cake mix.

I love those, especially when I'm making 8 dozen cupcakes.

Strawberry cupcakes. Cheesecake baked in. White chocolate frosting that is To. Die. For. (Seriously, it's lucky it made it onto the cupcakes. Spoon-worthy frosting, yo.)


Bliss.

Enjoy!

Strawberry Cheesecake Cupcakes
by Crazy for Crust
(Cupcake/Frosting recipe from Cups by Kim)

Ingredients
    For the Cupcakes
    • 4 large eggs, room temperature
    • 1 cup sour cream, room temperature
    • ½ cup unsalted butter, melted
    • 1 Strawberry Cake Mix
    • 1 pound fresh (or frozen and thawed) strawberries, hulled and a little sugar or simple syrup, if needed to make ¾ cup of strawberry puree
    For the Cheesecake
    • 2 packs cream cheese (16 ounces), room temperature
    • ½ cup sugar
    • ½ teaspoon vanilla
    • 2 eggs, room temperature
    For the Frosting
    • 3 cups white chocolate chips
    • ¾ cup heavy cream
    • 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
    Instructions
    1. Preheat oven to 350°. Line cupcake tins with paper liners. (The recipe will make about 30-36 cheesecake cupcakes.)
    2. In a blender, puree the strawberries. You can add a little sugar or simple syrup if they need sweetening or a little juice or water if you need liquid for the blender to work. (This will make about 1 cup of puree. You won’t need all of it.) Set aside.
    3. Blend eggs and sour cream with a mixer. Make sure they are room temperature first! Add in the butter and mix well. Alternately add cake mix with ¾ cup of strawberry puree until it’s all blended together well. Place about 2 tablespoons of batter in each cupcake liner (I used a 2 tablespoon cookie scoop for this.)
    4. Make the cheesecake: Mix cream cheese, sugar, vanilla, and eggs with a hand mixer until smooth. Drop about 1-2 tablespoons of the cream cheese mixture on top of the cupcake batter.
    5. Bake about 15-18 minutes and let cool completely before frosting. (Note: the cupcakes can be frozen once cooled and frosted at a later date.)
    6. Make the frosting: place the chocolate chips in a large bowl (that will fit in your refrigerator). Bring heavy cream just to a boil in a small saucepan and pour over chocolate chips. Stir until they are melted. Stir in butter until it’s melted. Place the bowl in the fridge and cool for at least 30 minutes, (I left mine about an hour), stirring every 15 minutes. Remove from refrigerator and beat melted chips on high with a hand mixer until it becomes fluffy and ready to pipe or spread. Pipe onto cupcakes. Store cupcakes in refrigerator.
    Powered by Recipage





    I link up to all of these fabulous parties each week!
    Talent Show Tuesday at Chef in TrainingTrick or Treat Tuesday at Inside BruCrew Life, Cast Party Wednesday at Lady Behind the Curtain, Sweet Treats Thursday at Something Swanky, Chic-and-Crafty at the Frugal Girls, Tastetastic Thursday at A Little Nosh, Sweet Tooth Friday at Alli-n-sons, I'm Lovin' it Fridays at TidyMom, Sweets for a Saturday at Sweet as Sugar Cookies, A Well-Seasoned LifeStrut your Stuff Saturday at Six Sisters' Stuff, and all of these too!

    Labels: , , ,

    66 Comments:

    At May 17, 2012 at 6:07 AM , Blogger CookieCrazedMama said...

    YUM! These sound delicious, and I just went strawberry picking too-perfect. Thanks for sharing!

     
    At May 17, 2012 at 6:39 AM , Blogger Winnie said...

    These look GREAT
    The perfect combination for me - strawberry + cheesecake + white chcocolate

     
    At May 17, 2012 at 6:50 AM , Blogger Cookaholic Wife said...

    They're adorable and they sound amazing!

     
    At May 17, 2012 at 6:57 AM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

    Thanks Winnie! The combo is kinda a party in your mouth. :)

     
    At May 17, 2012 at 7:05 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

    well don't these sound delish! and darling, wine goes with most things :)

     
    At May 17, 2012 at 7:13 AM , Blogger Melody said...

    Only thing better than strawberries with chocolate would be strawberries & white chocolate! (I don't like chunky strawberries in muffins/cupcakes, either...)

     
    At May 17, 2012 at 7:30 AM , Anonymous Lesa @Edesias Notebook said...

    What beautiful cupcakes! They sound amazing. Great choice.

     
    At May 17, 2012 at 7:37 AM , Blogger Susan said...

    These are so cute! And with a cake mix, how easy! I love it! Thanks!

     
    At May 17, 2012 at 7:52 AM , Blogger Kristen said...

    That baked cheesecake portion with the thick frosting...I think I just went up a dress size drooling over these!!!

     
    At May 17, 2012 at 7:59 AM , Blogger Hayley @ The Domestic Rebel said...

    Alllllll over this right now. They look so refreshing! I know Jessie and I would tooootally flip for these considering I couldn't be dating the World's Biggest Cheesecake Lover if I weren't one myself :)

     
    At May 17, 2012 at 8:05 AM , Blogger Jocelyn said...

    And now all I can think about is strawberries and cheesecake:-) oh and white chocolate!!! I love your "pairs" cupcake idea! This is most definitely a perfect summer time treat!!!

     
    At May 17, 2012 at 8:10 AM , Blogger Kristin said...

    I think strawberry cheesecake ANYthing would be amazing. I never thought about the chocolate/coconut combination. Maybe I should try one of those crazy coconut drinks at Starbucks??

     
    At May 17, 2012 at 8:48 AM , Anonymous Melissa | Cajun Sugar Pie said...

    Oh my goodness! Those cupcakes look yummy!

     
    At May 17, 2012 at 8:52 AM , Anonymous Robyn said...

    Dorothy
    Love your list of Things that Go Together! Robyn and Coffee should be added too.

    Maybe you should add Dorothy and Robyn eating Strawberry Cheesecake Cupcakes on cool summer evening. We can dream ... right?

    *ICC Banana Split Bunt Cake*

     
    At May 17, 2012 at 9:08 AM , Anonymous sally @ sallys baking addiction said...

    strawberries + cream is one pair I coulodn't live without! what adorable cheesecake cupcakes Dorothy :)

     
    At May 17, 2012 at 9:10 AM , Blogger Julie said...

    Oh, man, this post makes me miss the days when I could eat strawberries without the need for an epi-pen. Enjoy, all you non-allergic people out there! Eat all these for me!

     
    At May 17, 2012 at 9:15 AM , Blogger Sara said...

    perfect pair indeed!

     
    At May 17, 2012 at 10:15 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Your strawberry cheesecake cupcakes look delicious and are gorgeous! Thanks for sharing your recipe!

     
    At May 17, 2012 at 10:18 AM , Blogger Maria said...

    These look and sound delicious!

     
    At May 17, 2012 at 11:19 AM , Anonymous Bianca @ Confessions of a Chocoholic said...

    I had a cheery cheesecake cupcake last week and it was delicious, but I think I would prefer this strawberry version more! And I love that the pink stars you topped it with!

     
    At May 17, 2012 at 12:50 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    How cute :]

     
    At May 17, 2012 at 1:21 PM , Anonymous Tanya Schroeder said...

    These are so sweet! My kids would like chunk-less strawberry cupcakes. I love the stars on top.

     
    At May 17, 2012 at 2:54 PM , Blogger Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch said...

    Ok now I'm drooling! I love cheesecakes and strawberries! The cupcakes are perfect for a picnic this summer! Have a great weeknd!

     
    At May 17, 2012 at 3:11 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

    Lol, a woman after my own heart! Thanks Karen!

     
    At May 17, 2012 at 3:12 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

    For sure! And it's nice to know I'm not the only one with chunk issues!

     
    At May 17, 2012 at 3:12 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

    Thank you!

     
    At May 17, 2012 at 3:13 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

    Thanks!

     
    At May 17, 2012 at 3:13 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

    Me too. We should have a cheesecake factory marathon sometime. :)

     
    At May 17, 2012 at 3:14 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

    Thank you!

     
    At May 17, 2012 at 3:15 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

    Love it! I wish we really could. :)

     
    At May 17, 2012 at 3:15 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

    Thanks Sally!

     
    At May 17, 2012 at 3:16 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

    Bummer! But thanks for reading anyway. :)

     
    At May 17, 2012 at 3:17 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

    Thank you!

     
    At May 17, 2012 at 3:17 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

    Thanks!

     
    At May 17, 2012 at 3:18 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

    Thanks! And mmm... Cherry!

     
    At May 17, 2012 at 3:18 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

    Thanks!

     
    At May 17, 2012 at 3:19 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

    I'm chunk free all the way! Thanks for reading!

     
    At May 17, 2012 at 4:12 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

    Oh my! These look so darn good that I almost squealed (it's past midnight so I'd get weird looks, heh!) Strawberries and cheesecake does go together hand in hand. In fact, they should be going steady! The cheesecake baked in sounds heaven and so does the white chocolate frosting.

    I have the midnight munchies now!

    -Lisa.
    Sweet 2 Eat Baking

     
    At May 17, 2012 at 4:39 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

    Thanks for making me incredibly hungry!! Found you over at The Grant Life linky party :)

    -Bonnie @ Revolutionaries
    www.revolutionariesblog.com

     
    At May 17, 2012 at 4:51 PM , Blogger Jill @ Create.Craft.Love. said...

    My mouth is watering! Those look delicious! Your blog is adorable! Following along! Would love for you to stop by and link up to the Pomp Party tomorrow!

    http://jill-createcraftlove.blogspot.com

    Jill @ Create.Craft.Love.

     
    At May 17, 2012 at 5:44 PM , Anonymous Brianne @ Cupcakes & Kale Chips said...

    Yum! Now I want to stuff some cheesecakes into a cupcake. Hmm, maybe my black bean chocolate ones. Now you have given me an idea...

     
    At May 17, 2012 at 6:59 PM , Blogger Karyn said...

    Those look scrumptious! I'll trade ya some cake pops for these little babies!

     
    At May 17, 2012 at 7:24 PM , Blogger Teri said...

    Delicious and beautiful!

     
    At May 17, 2012 at 7:30 PM , Blogger KC Coake said...

    Look delicious. I'm pinning these. My youngest daughter always wants the strawberry cake mix. I think it is too sweet and not that great. I want to try both these cupcakes and the way you doctored the mix...maybe I will enjoy the cakes I make for her! Thanks!

     
    At May 17, 2012 at 8:45 PM , Blogger Back for Seconds said...

    I love all your pairs and the one about the Housewives cracked me up!
    These look so so good, Dorothy. Any chance you want to send me a batch?? ;)

     
    At May 18, 2012 at 5:44 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

    Wow, that sounds like a yummy recipes. Might have to bookmark this one! Lol

     
    At May 18, 2012 at 5:49 AM , Blogger Sue said...

    These sound amazing, and that last photo really sealed the deal!

     
    At May 18, 2012 at 5:54 AM , Blogger Simply Tasheena said...

    Oh Yummy!

    PS: I look forward to seeing you this week at Show Me What You Got Tuesday's via: http://ourdelightfulhome.blogspot.com/2012/05/live-linky-party-14.html

    Mrs. Delightful
    www.ourdelightfulhome.blogspot.com

     
    At May 18, 2012 at 9:58 AM , Blogger Veronica LaChance said...

    Cheesecake is the ultimate for me!! And these... LOOK AMAZING!! yum

     
    At May 18, 2012 at 11:54 AM , Blogger Carrie B said...

    Oh these are pretty!! Love anything strawberry cheesecake~!

     
    At May 18, 2012 at 12:10 PM , Blogger Allison @ Alli 'n Son said...

    These sound heavenly! A lovely treat for summer.

     
    At May 18, 2012 at 12:31 PM , Blogger Tim, Allyson, and kids said...

    Wow, these sound AMAZING! Do you think I could bake it in a cake pan? If so what size for this recipe?

    Also, I'd love for you to link up to our Finished Friday blog party.

     
    At May 18, 2012 at 3:22 PM , Blogger Paula said...

    Oh those look so good! I am pinning this so I can remember to make this!

     
    At May 18, 2012 at 4:15 PM , Blogger Deanna - Teaspoon of Spice said...

    Looks delish - love your list of good pairs too :)

     
    At May 18, 2012 at 10:52 PM , Blogger Michelle Day said...

    Dorothy, These look and sound delicious! I love strawberries and cheesecake. Thanks so much for linking up to Creative Thursday this week. Have a wonderful weekend.

    Michelle

     
    At May 19, 2012 at 2:44 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

    I know, huh? So many possibilities!

     
    At May 19, 2012 at 2:58 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

    Thanks!

     
    At May 19, 2012 at 3:02 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

    Thanks!

     
    At May 19, 2012 at 6:17 PM , Blogger Liz That Skinny Chick Can Bake said...

    Yum, yum and more yum!!! These look incredible! What a wonderful Improv Challenge recipe...another must try from your blog :)

     
    At May 20, 2012 at 9:43 AM , Blogger Sophie said...

    Yum! Those look so good and summery! Here in Namibia, I can hardly find strawberries and they're really tiny. :P Thanks so much for linking up to Sweet Saturdays {#5}! Hope to see you again next week! Have an amazing day:) -Sophie

     
    At May 20, 2012 at 8:16 PM , Blogger Dip It In Chocolate said...

    Girl, we are sharing brainwaves! I made strawberry cheesecake cupcakes last week too. (Actually almost used those exact same liners.) At 11:00 at night I was debating whether those Sara Lee bites would be good baked into a cupcake and if I should go to the store to buy some. (Had to have them ready for my son's teachers the next morning.) I fell asleep deciding and they had to settle for cheesecake frosting. ;) I love the idea of cheesecake baked in.

    ps- Hate strawberry chunks in baked goods... (mushy & metallic the next day... ewww)

     
    At May 21, 2012 at 8:21 AM , Blogger erica said...

    Oh my goodness this looks amazing! Thanks for sharing. xo

     
    At May 21, 2012 at 8:29 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

    I love the bloggy wavelength. :) Thanks for reading!

     
    At May 21, 2012 at 8:30 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

    My daughter would starve, lol. Thanks Sophie!

     
    At May 22, 2012 at 11:08 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

    Cheesecake and cupcakes together, amazing! These look so delicious. Thanks for sharing at Showcase Your Talent Thursday!

     
    At May 24, 2012 at 8:21 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

    Yummy!!!! Looks divine!

    Thanks for sharing at Create & Inspire, Dorothy! :)

    Angie

     

    Post a Comment

    Thank you for your comment! Reading your comments is better than eating pie...and if you know me that's saying a lot. :)

    Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

    << Home