19 June 2012

Red Velvet Cheesecake Cupcakes

Pin It


The Fourth of July is coming up soon, which means it's summer, which means it's travel season.

I love to travel. I love to stay in hotels. And I've totally passed on that love to Jordan.

We don't camp. Well, Jordan and Mel probably would. To be more specific, I don't camp. That's really a whole post all on it's own, but the gist of it is, if I'm on vaca, I don't want to work to set up my room. I don't want to cook. I don't want to be dirty. I want to sleep on a comfy bed.

So we stay in hotels.

Another problem I have? I like to be comfortable. And comfortable, to me, is not shoving the three of us into one room. Where's the fun in that? I want to put Jordan to bed and go sit in a different place, drink wine, and watch TV alone with my husband.  So we like to stay in suite hotels, whenever possible. I've become a genius at reading room descriptions. {"Suite" does not necessarily mean separate bedroom.}


I have damaged my child so much that, when we moved from a two bedroom suite at one hotel to a resort with a one bedroom suite in Phoenix, she cried because the "sofa bed wouldn't be comfortable enough."


Yes. I know that her future husband is going to have to be a special kind of man. (Or woman. Because right now she wants to marry her BFF, so you never know.)




Anyway, it's hard to find the perfect hotel room this time of year. So I've put together a list of things I would put in the hotel I would build if I won the lotto. Is that weird?


*Every room would be a suite, one or two bedroom, with the bathroom in between the living area and sleeping area. Not in the living area, causing the middle of the night tippy-toe dance around the sleeping child to deal with mommy bladder.


*Only real hair dryers would be supplied. With diffusers. Can I get an amen?


*Kids would eat free. All day. And everyone gets free breakfast. {And no, granola bars and stale pastry do not qualify as "breakfast."}


*There would be a water slide at the pool.


*And free drinks with umbrellas.


*And free massages.


*And free childcare.


Wait a minute...this list is beginning to sound like I'm travelling without my kid.


Hmmmm...


Oh, wait, I forgot one.


*Free cupcakes at turn down service. Because those little tiny chocolates really don't cut it, do they?


These cupcakes would.

Red Velvet. Cheesecake. Cream Cheese Frosting.

All in one bite.


And because red velvet lends itself to red, white, and blue for the 4th, I did a swirled blue frosting. It was totally easy. You just drip blue food coloring down a prepared pastry bag. What's not easy? Photographing that step.

Red, white, and blue scrumptious cupcakes.

Perfect after a day playing at the pool, don'tcha think?

What would you put on your dream hotel list?


Red Velvet Cheesecake Cupcakes

by Crazy for Crust


Ingredients
    For the Red Velvet
    • 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
    • 2 cups sugar
    • 1 tablespoon cocoa
    • 1 teaspoon salt
    • 1 teaspoon baking soda
    • 2 eggs
    • 1 cup oil
    • 1 cup buttermilk (or 1 teaspoon vinegar with enough milk to make 1 cup)
    • 1 tablespoon vinegar
    • 1 teaspoon vanilla
    • 2 oz. red food coloring
    For the Cheesecake
    • 2 packs cream cheese (16 ounces), room temperature
    • ½ cup sugar
    • ½ teaspoon vanilla
    • 2 eggs, room temperature
    For the Cream Cheese Frosting
    • 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
    • ½ cup butter, softened
    • 4 cups powdered sugar
    • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    Instructions
    1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line cupcake pans with liners. This will make about 30 cupcakes.
    2. Mix all dry ingredients in a large bowl and whisk.
    3. Whisk eggs in a medium bowl. Add remaining liquid ingredients and whisk until blended. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix on until completely combined. Place about 2 tablespoons of batter in each cupcake liner (I used a 2 tablespoon cookie scoop for this.)
    4. Make the cheesecake: Mix cream cheese, sugar, vanilla, and eggs with a hand mixer until smooth. Drop about 1-2 tablespoons of the cream cheese mixture on top of the cupcake batter.
    5. Bake about 15-18 minutes and let cool completely before frosting. (Note: the cupcakes can be frozen once cooled and frosted at a later date.)
    6. Make the frosting: Using a hand mixer, cream butter and cream cheese until fluffy. Slowly add in powdered sugar and vanilla. Mix until smooth.
    7. For the blue swirl effect, get your pastry bag ready (I used a 1M tip). Take food coloring (I used regular grocery store kind for this) and drip it down the bag at evenly spaced intervals, about 4 times. Add frosting (carefully) to bag and pipe onto cupcakes. Store in refrigerator.
    Powered by Recipage



    I link up to all of these fabulous parties each week!
    Talent Show Tuesday at Chef in TrainingTrick or Treat Tuesday at Inside BruCrew Life, Cast Party Wednesday at Lady Behind the Curtain, Sweet Treats Thursday at Something Swanky, Chic-and-Crafty at the Frugal Girls, Tastetastic Thursday at A Little Nosh, Sweet Tooth Friday at Alli-n-sons, I'm Lovin' it Fridays at TidyMom, Sweets for a Saturday at Sweet as Sugar Cookies, A Well-Seasoned LifeStrut your Stuff Saturday at Six Sisters' Stuff, and all of these too!

    Labels: , , ,

    47 Comments:

    At June 19, 2012 at 6:16 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Totally NOT crazy! I've had that *lottery hotel dream* as well

    And those cupcakes would make a FABULOUS bedtime snack!

     
    At June 19, 2012 at 6:20 PM , Blogger Back for Seconds said...

    That frosting is so pretty! Love the swirl effect. And woah. Cheesecake AND cream cheese frosting? HEAVEN!

     
    At June 19, 2012 at 6:22 PM , Blogger Michelle said...

    mmmmm! *drooling* you know I actually never had red velvet before I went gluten free? I can only imagine what "the real thing" tastes like!

     
    At June 19, 2012 at 6:38 PM , Blogger Hayley @ The Domestic Rebel said...

    Totally loving this frosting. And I don't blame you for having an extensive hotel musts list. I mean, I haaaaate being woken up by people using the bathroom at two AM so I know how you feel. Plus, water slides and umbrella-laden drinks are obviously a must-have. And cheesecake cupcakes greeting you on the pillow when you get back. Sigh, let's go into business :)

     
    At June 19, 2012 at 6:53 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

    We seriously need to figure out a way to be able to send cupcakes through the mail. I want one right now. I shared on my facebook page. Thanks so much for sharing at Whimsy Wednesdays.

     
    At June 19, 2012 at 6:54 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

    Yessssssss, let's!

     
    At June 19, 2012 at 6:55 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

    Yes, they most certainly would. Thanks for visiting!

     
    At June 19, 2012 at 6:56 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

    Now I want to try the gluten free one, I wonder if there is a difference? :)

     
    At June 19, 2012 at 7:33 PM , Blogger Susan said...

    You get a BIG Amen from me on "Free!" And, those red velvet cupcakes are a must at turn down. Although, I'm the opposite and don't like staying in hotels. I miss getting up and baking--LOL!

     
    At June 19, 2012 at 7:46 PM , Blogger Karyn said...

    Count me in to stay at your hotel. Oh wait... that's what I call Going to Grandma's! Can't wait to go on vacation in July! BTW - Wanna hear all about Sedona. I know it's changed over the past few years. I hope not too much...

     
    At June 19, 2012 at 8:08 PM , Blogger Jennifer {Mother Thyme} said...

    Free umbrella drinks and massages? You can book me a room! Loving these festive cupcakes!

     
    At June 20, 2012 at 4:24 AM , Blogger Michael said...

    As much as I love to camp, I do love staying in a nice hotel too. Two weekends ago I took my oldest daughter to a swim meet and we stayed in a hotel, just the two of us, with two seperate beds...ahhhhh, THAT was a vacation :)

     
    At June 20, 2012 at 5:29 AM , Anonymous Sue @ Cakeballs, cookies and more said...

    LOL I so hate traveling, unless I know it will be a nice hotel, I want to enjoy it. And if you win, we can open a hotel together and make yummy treats like these, and they would get those instead of mints on the pillows.

     
    At June 20, 2012 at 5:32 AM , Blogger allisamazing said...

    I like hotels more and more and camping less and less - lol. Those cupcakes look fabulous!

     
    At June 20, 2012 at 7:31 AM , Blogger Ellen @ BakeItWithBooze said...

    Youza! These look soooo goooood!!! I would ascribed to the suite concept if I had kids. No question. :) And, I have a trick to do the photography on the piping bag shot. Next time I see ya, mmkay. Have a wonderful ~early~ summer!!!!

     
    At June 20, 2012 at 8:19 AM , Blogger Crunchy Creamy Sweet said...

    Shut-the-front-door these look gooooood! I am with you on the diffusers. And massages. And childcare.

     
    At June 20, 2012 at 12:06 PM , Anonymous sally @ sallys baking addiction said...

    They cupcakes are gorgeous Dorothy! Cupcake on the bottom, cheesecake on the top, frosting, sprinkles, red velvet.... so many amazing tastes and textures all in one bite!

    Real hairdryers...... AMEN!

     
    At June 20, 2012 at 1:24 PM , Anonymous Shawn @ I Wash...You Dry said...

    HAHA! I love this post! I have given up on doing fun hotel travel with children. It's too costly with 4 kids, cause I would end up getting at least 3 rooms. I love those cupcakes, so incredibly cute! I need to try that blue frosting swirl, how fun!

     
    At June 20, 2012 at 1:34 PM , Blogger Kristin said...

    I'm going to start keeping a tally of who refuses to go camping. This will be my evidence. Good lord, I hate camping. I think this should include staying in cabins too, because cabins have bugs. I'm so glad to know that I'm not the only one! I might have to try this, as Scott will be home for the 4th this year and he does need me to feed him some sugar...

     
    At June 20, 2012 at 1:56 PM , Blogger Dip It In Chocolate said...

    Seriously. What is with the one chocolate.

    ONE CHOCOLATE??

    I have been known to knick some off the little cart if left in the hallway unattended.

    I never feel guilty.

    One chocolate is highway robbery I tell you.


    Love your cupcakes, as always. Swirled frosting is so cute!

     
    At June 20, 2012 at 1:58 PM , Anonymous Tanya said...

    This is great! I hate camping too. We are on vacation now and the condo is old but nice. My daughter has already commented on how sub-par she thinks it is. I've also ruined daughter. I'm apologizing in advance to her future husband. (she's 8 but with specific taste)! I love these cupcakes. I love the swirled frosting, I haven't tried that.

     
    At June 20, 2012 at 3:46 PM , Blogger Ashley @ Kitchen Meets Girl said...

    Yeah, I'm with you on the no-camping thing. And hotels with REAL hairdryers (my hair totally requires one!). These cheesecakes look amazing! I'm loving the swirled frosting--so perfect for the 4th!

     
    At June 20, 2012 at 8:55 PM , Blogger Jocelyn said...

    Amen to no camping and staying in Dorothy's hotel!!! Seriously...one chocolate per person on the pillows? Who does that to someone? It's torture I tell you!!! What a super fun cupcake/cheesecake for the 4th! I totally forgot about red velvet:-) Maybe try putting the frosting bag in a glass to photograph it? I don't know...it just popped into my head! Hope it works!

     
    At June 21, 2012 at 7:04 AM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

    Okay, yay for someone else not being a camping fan! :) Thanks Ashley!

     
    At June 21, 2012 at 7:05 AM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

    LOL! At least I'm not alone. Specific taste? We should get our kids together, they are two peas in a pod. :) Thanks so much Tanya!

     
    At June 21, 2012 at 7:06 AM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

    I know, and a tiny one to boot. Like, half a bite tiny. Cheap!! Thanks as always!

     
    At June 21, 2012 at 7:06 AM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

    Thanks Shawn!

     
    At June 21, 2012 at 7:06 AM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

    LOL, thanks Sally!

     
    At June 21, 2012 at 7:07 AM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

    Oooh, you must share. Usually I'm just rushingtogetitalldone by the time the frosting comes along and I have no patience!

     
    At June 21, 2012 at 7:08 AM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

    For sure. It could be a blogger-owned hotel, free wifi in all rooms. :)

     
    At June 21, 2012 at 10:15 AM , Blogger Winnie said...

    I enjoyed reading your post :):)
    Although It was quite hard while seeing these amazing-delicious looking cupcakes.
    I just love their look - AWEWOME

     
    At June 21, 2012 at 6:51 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

    Thanks so much Winnie!

     
    At June 22, 2012 at 6:05 PM , Blogger Lindy@Itsy Bitsy Paper said...

    Wow, these turned out great. I hope you will link these up to my Patriotic Project Parade if you haven't already!

    http://www.itsybitsypaperblog.com/2012/06/patriotic-project-parade-linky-party.html

     
    At June 24, 2012 at 10:22 AM , Anonymous Kalyan said...

    looks lovely and delicious...mouthwatering!

     
    At June 25, 2012 at 7:52 AM , Anonymous Ashish Negi said...

    This looks amazing. Would love it if you link it to Piquant Potluck!

     
    At June 25, 2012 at 12:02 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

    Thanks Ashish!

     
    At June 26, 2012 at 8:02 AM , Blogger Michelle Day said...

    Dorothy,
    Amen to the hair dryers and diffusers! I think all hotel rooms should have at least two bathrooms too.
    These cupcakes are going to be made at my house next week for the 4th for sure! They look delish! And so very patriotic :) Thanks so much for linking up to Creative Thursday last week. I can't wait to see what you link up this week. Have a wonderful weekend.

    Michelle

     
    At June 27, 2012 at 1:02 PM , Blogger Teri said...

    So pretty! I love the frosting!

     
    At June 27, 2012 at 3:48 PM , Blogger Trish - Mom On Timeout said...

    Yes ma'am! I'll take a dozen please! Featuring you tonight! Thanks so much for sharing at Mom On Timeout!

     
    At June 27, 2012 at 5:35 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

    Those look absolutely delish!!! I Must try :)
    -Melissa
    WWW.Willamettevalleywonderwoman.blogapot.com

     
    At June 29, 2012 at 5:03 AM , Blogger The Better Baker said...

    What yummy looking cupcakes. Love your dreams of the perfect hotel - you are so funny! Thanks for sharing another terrific dish and congrats for being featured at Mix it up Monday!!!

     
    At June 29, 2012 at 7:32 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Is the cream cheese measurement correct? 2 pounds--that means 4 (8 oz.)packages. Just checking. I can't wait to try these cupcakes; they look so--o-o-o good! Thanks!

     
    At June 29, 2012 at 9:54 AM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

    Ohmigosh! Thank you for catching that!! It should read 2 PACKS, not pounds! I've edited the recipe accordingly. THANKS!!

     
    At June 29, 2012 at 10:24 AM , Blogger Addicted to Recipes said...

    Dorothy these look amazing! I am happy to let you know that you are being featured this week over at Addicted to Recipes. Come on over and grab your button!

    http://iamaddictedtorecipes.blogspot.ca/2012/06/scrumptious-sunday-17-features.html

    PS - I am so a hotel girl too! And my hubby is to, he's a total city boy. BUT we are saving up to buy an RV, it'll be good for the kids to "camp" ;-)

     
    At July 2, 2012 at 9:40 AM , Blogger Kelley @ TheGrantLife.com said...

    You seriously crack.me.up! This right here -->*Only real hair dryers would be supplied. With diffusers. Can I get an amen? - AMEN! I dont want a 25 watt hairdryer when Im paying to stay somewhere. Jeez.

    Oh.. and of course your cupcakes make me want to lick my screen. Dont judge me. :)

    Ps.. Im featuring these and your Nutella Cookie Dough in a fourth of July roundup!

     
    At August 7, 2012 at 7:15 PM , Anonymous Mary Ellen said...

    These look awesome! I'm doing a baby shower brunch and she says she LOVES red velvet cake. I think these would be great and faster than the cake pops or red velvet cheesecake layer cake I had in mind.
    I'm trying to picture how to put the food coloring in. I am assuming you drip it down the sides BEFORE you add the frosting to the pipe bag, right? And then you add more coloring when you refill.

     
    At August 8, 2012 at 1:05 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

    Yes, drip the coloring down the sides, then add the frosting carefully. Enjoy!

     

    Post a Comment

    Thank you for your comment! Reading your comments is better than eating pie...and if you know me that's saying a lot. :)

    Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

    << Home