26 June 2012

Butter Pecan Pie Ice Cream

Pin It

Last week we bought a new television. The one in our family room, while still functional, was starting to have pixel problems. As in, I could read the constellations from my couch. And whenever there was a close-up of Gretchen (RHOOC, obvi) her face was covered in teensy tiny black dots, soon to turn into large white ones.

So, we downsized and bought a 47" for the family room. (Yes, I like large TVs. That's all me. The bigger the better. Heck, I'd watch Andy on a movie screen if I could.)

Question was, where to put the dinosaur that was the old TV? I mean, it was still functional, albeit a dot-to-dot in process. No one is going to pay money for it; the part to fix it is more than the cost of the new television.

So we did what all rational, level-headed people do with an old 55" TV. We put it in the living room, right in front of the Christmas tree window. And we hooked up the Xbox Kinect to it.

The Kinect. You know, that video game we got two years ago and hardly ever played? {If I'm not in the mood to move my coffee table and rearrange my family room furniture, I'm probably not in the mood to play a movement video game, clearly.}

So we rearranged the (nonexistent) living room furniture and plugged in Dance Central 2.

And oh my God, you'd think Jordan got a brand new toy.

She didn't stop at all on Saturday afternoon.

And guess what she started doing at 6:30 am Sunday morning? 6:30 am., I kid you not.

She took a break for lunch at noon.

By two she was "resting" with the iPad.

By dinner I had to yell at her to stop with the You're a Jerk so she could set the table.

That child is relentless, I tell you.

All the dancing means she's hungrier. And, I guess, if you dance for six straight hours, it's okay if you have some ice cream.



Do you like pecan pie? How 'bout Butter Pecan ice cream?

Good, I've got you covered then.

I made more of my easy ice cream. But this time I added butter pecan cake mix, toasted pecans, and chopped pecan pie tarts.

I added three of the six tarts to the ice cream. Any guesses where the other three went?


Hmmm...maybe I should be the one doing Born This Way for six hours.

Excuse me. I'll be right back.


Butter Pecan Pie Ice Cream

by Crazy for Crust


Ingredients
  • 1 can sweetened condensed milk
  • 1 container Cool Whip (or you can make whipped cream from 2 cups heavy cream)
  • ½ cup Butter Pecan cake mix (dry)
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 8 ounces (about 3 large, 6 mini, or ½ a large) pecan tarts/pies, coarsely chopped (found in the baking section of your grocery store)
  • ½ cup toasted pecans (you can toast pecans in a frying pan over low heat – keep an eye on them!)
Instructions
  • Stir together sweetened condensed milk and Cool Whip or whipped cream. Stir in dry cake mix and vanilla. Stir in chopped pecan tarts/pie, and toasted pecans. Place in a Tupperware container and freeze until firm like ice cream, at least 4 hours.

Powered by Recipage

Enjoy!

I link up to all of these fabulous parties each week!
Chef in TrainingTrick or Treat TuesdayCast Party WednesdaySweet Treats ThursdayChic-and-CraftyTastetastic ThursdaySweet Tooth FridayI'm Lovin' it FridaysSweets for a SaturdayA Well-Seasoned LifeStrut your Stuff Saturdayand all of these too!

Labels: , ,

34 Comments:

At June 26, 2012 at 6:24 PM , Blogger Hayley @ The Domestic Rebel said...

Hmmmm, can I guess where this ice cream inspiration came from? Perhaps your favorite flavor at your favorite parlor? :) forreals, though--pecan pie tarts INSIDE the ice cream? I really hope you have more of this because A) I've actually never had butter pecan ice cream; and B) (here's the kicker!) I've actually never had pecan pie. I KNOW, I swear. It's kind of disgusting how I'm a baking blogger and have NEVER had pecan pie. Someone please kick me? Blah. But this looks awesome and BTW, I think we need a dance party and STAT.

 
At June 26, 2012 at 6:32 PM , Blogger I Gotta Try That said...

Oh my goodness I love your blog. So many yummy treats! I would love for you to come share anyone of them on my linky party!
http://www.igottatrythat.com/p/blog-hop-linky-colde.html
Thanks,
Marcie @ www.IGottaTryThat.com

 
At June 26, 2012 at 6:33 PM , Blogger keatseatsblog said...

OMG. I'm in LOVE with this. And Jordan is probably the funniest kid I've never met.

Also-- got my reader all organized (thanks to you!) so I'm not missing posts anymore :) :) :)

...er, so expect some delayed commenting from me as I go through older posts, lol...

 
At June 26, 2012 at 6:36 PM , Blogger Brandon said...

So I'm going to not so casually leave this page up on my laptop at home and hope my wife walks by and sees it. Pecan pie is one of my all time favorites, and butter pecan ice cream is her favorite (which she recently rediscovered). It's a win-win as long as she makes it.

 
At June 26, 2012 at 6:48 PM , Blogger Karyn said...

I saw your picture on instagram and thought that was always how your living room was :) We have a Wii in the basement and rarely use it.
The ice cream looks wonderful! I could so go for some ice cream now.

 
At June 26, 2012 at 6:51 PM , Blogger Tobins' Tastes said...

My husband is going to be eternally grateful to you once I get around to making him this. He loves Butter Pecan Ice Cream and Pecan Pie so he is going to think he has died and gone to heaven.

 
At June 26, 2012 at 6:57 PM , Blogger Robin @ Bird On A Cake said...

I have one thing to say...YUM!!!

 
At June 26, 2012 at 7:24 PM , Blogger Michelle said...

your stories never cease to make me laugh! your posts are like my daily dose of reality tv... just, you know, on a classier level ;)

 
At June 26, 2012 at 7:40 PM , Blogger Susan said...

Butter Pecan ice cream was my mother's favorite and I know she would have gone nuts over this. You've done it again:-)

 
At June 26, 2012 at 9:21 PM , Blogger Kristin said...

It almost makes me ill thinking of how I'd eat this entire batch in one sitting. Butter pecan ANYTHING is my favorite. It was the only ice cream I'd eat from ages 9-15. I just happen to have some sweetened condensed milk...
I finally put our Wii away last week. It's been 2 years. I don't think I'll be playing it anytime soon.

 
At June 27, 2012 at 4:56 AM , Blogger Simply Tasheena said...

Oh My! I look forward to making this recipe :). I would love for you to link up to my linky party via: http://ourdelightfulhome.blogspot.com/2012/06/live-show-me-what-you-got-tuesdays.html

Mrs. Delightful
www.ourdelightfulhome.blogspot.com

 
At June 27, 2012 at 5:29 AM , Blogger Michael said...

haha that's awesome! My girls love Dance on the Kinect. Me? totally not coordinated enough. Although, years ago I was pretty good at the Dance,Dance Revolution. Just sayin.

 
At June 27, 2012 at 6:43 AM , Anonymous Sue @ Cakeballs, cookies and more said...

first of all, how smart, we should so do that with our x box it is a huge pain to push chairs out of the way. Secondly, this ice cream sounds awesome!

 
At June 27, 2012 at 6:45 AM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

LOL! I hope she takes the hint. :)

 
At June 27, 2012 at 6:46 AM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

I hope he likes it! I certainly did as I didn't share much of it. :)

 
At June 27, 2012 at 6:46 AM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

Aw, now that's a huge compliment, me being the biggest reality tv fan evverrrr. Thanks so much Michelle!

 
At June 27, 2012 at 6:47 AM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

I know, we never even thought of it until we got the new tv. Makes it way easier!!

 
At June 27, 2012 at 7:34 AM , Anonymous sally @ sallys baking addiction said...

Yum! Butter Pecan Ice cream and pecan pie are like, two of my absolute faves. Ummm...homemade ice cream is SO easy. Who knew?!

 
At June 27, 2012 at 8:38 AM , Blogger Angi said...

OMG! I love butter pecan cake so this HAS to be AMAZING! What a great idea! I will have to whip this up for 4th of July to help us deal with the million degree temperatures we are having in Texas. UGH!

 
At June 27, 2012 at 8:47 AM , Blogger Jessica@AKitchenAddiction said...

Amazing! I love the pecan pie chunks!

 
At June 27, 2012 at 10:13 AM , Blogger Jocelyn said...

No wonder she was asleep on your couch the other day at noon...all that busting a move has her exhausted! I wish I had the energy of kids!!! Mine love to play the kinect too. Unfortunately I have no rhythm and can't dance worth squat...so I just watch and laugh at them! Every once in a while I jump in and then the giggles start. They think it is hysterical when mom starts dancing. Now ice cream with pecan pie in it...I would dance for sure to get a bowl of that good stuff! And this two ingredient ice cream is awesome...I have made about 5 different versions so far:-)

 
At June 27, 2012 at 12:04 PM , Blogger two birds said...

so cute! i wish i had that kind of energy...and that ice cream!

 
At June 27, 2012 at 1:27 PM , Blogger Back for Seconds said...

Hayley! I have never had pecan pie either! You are not alone ;)

 
At June 27, 2012 at 1:31 PM , Blogger Back for Seconds said...

I love butter pecan ice cream but have never tried pecan pie. This looks killer! When I first saw the picture and the title I thought, woah, she made pies just to crish up into the ice cream? Ahem.
Jordan is totally deserving of a huge bowl of this stuff after all that dancing. Good for her!

 
At June 27, 2012 at 2:22 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh. my. gosh!! that looks so incredible! LOVE pecan pie!

 
At June 27, 2012 at 3:57 PM , Blogger Ellen @ BakeItWithBooze said...

Oh, I remember the days being a kid and dancing all day only to take breaks for food. She's a very smart young lady! I bet this ice cream is amazing, too. :)

 
At June 27, 2012 at 4:21 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

Smart. And tireless. :) Thanks Ellen!

 
At June 27, 2012 at 4:24 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

Thanks Jessica!

 
At June 27, 2012 at 5:47 PM , Blogger Barbara Bakes said...

What a fun way to change up butter pecan ice cream. It's one of my hubs favorites.

 
At June 27, 2012 at 9:03 PM , Blogger Ashley @ Kitchen Meets Girl said...

Okay, butter pecan ice cream is (one of) my favorites - and with the addition of the tarts? Yes, yes, please!

 
At June 28, 2012 at 5:32 AM , Blogger Christine said...

Oh my!! That looks delicious! My Dad is a butter pecan FREAK!! I should soo try this!

Thanks so much for sharing this at The DIY Dreamer.. From Dream To Reality! Have a great day! :)

 
At June 28, 2012 at 6:18 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

Thanks so much for stopping by! :)

 
At July 1, 2012 at 7:06 AM , Blogger Mindie Hilton said...

Featuring on Thursday at Bacon Time!

 
At July 26, 2012 at 8:04 PM , Blogger Janie said...

Is Dance Central a Wii game too? Or is it just Kinect? Because I would dance my bootie off to some Gaga :)

Butter Pecan is one of my favorite ice cream flavors <3

Stopping by from Something Swanky

 

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment! Reading your comments is better than eating pie...and if you know me that's saying a lot. :)

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home