Peanut Butter & Jelly Tart
Can I tell you something and you promise to stay my friend?
Yes? Okay, ready?
I don't really like jelly. I never have.
I especially don't like jelly with peanut butter, like, in a sandwich. Ew.
Growing up I ate plain peanut butter sandwiches. As an adult I rarely eat peanut butter sandwiches, but I still like them plain. (I'd rather consume my peanut butter in say, a cookie. Or a tart. Or a pie.)
A few years ago I was craving something. Something sweet. and fruity. I really wanted this sweet and fruity thing but I didn't know what it was.
I made toast for breakfast, opened the fridge to get the butter and saw the strawberry jam. I don't remember if I was pregnant or what but I had to have that jam (that I hated) and I had to have it on this piece of toast right now.
So I did. And I liked it.
So now I eat jelly on toast. Sometimes. When I'm not being boring and just using butter.
But I won't eat jelly on a peanut butter sandwich, no way. Not ever.
I'll save my peanut butter and jelly for this tart, thankyouverymuch.
I actually made this awhile ago...for the teachers on Pie Day. I didn't get any photos of it cut...as it was for giving away. But I did taste a little bite of it when I dropped it off.
And it was good. So...let's change it to "I don't like jelly except in tarts. And on toast. And maybe in cookies?"
So I made this tart and I kinda forgot about it. Then I remembered that the Improv Challenge (hosted by Frugal Antics of a Harried Homemaker) for April was peanut butter and jelly. Perfect!
Enjoy, and I hope you find some more yummy peanut butter and jelly treats in the hop below. Maybe I'll find more jelly things that I'll eat. :)
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 2 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup peanut butter
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ¾ cup powdered sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup strawberry (or your favorite flavor) jam
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Grease a 9” fluted tart pan with a removable bottom.
- Whisk the flour, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- Cream peanut butter and butter with both sugars using a mixer. Beat in egg and vanilla. Add flour mixture and stir with a wooden spoon until combined.
- Press half the dough in the prepared tart pan. Spread with the jam, leaving a ½ inch border around the edge. Drop about half the remaining dough around the top of the jam, and press the remaining half around the border to seal the edges. Bake until golden, 45-50 minutes. Cool completely before removing ring and cutting.
And now for the Improv Challenge Blog Hop...
Have a Linky Party you want me to join? Add it HERE.