15 April 2012

Chocolate Dipped Peanut Butter Donuts


I have a serious problem with breakfast pastries. I love them. A lot. It's hard for me to go to Starbucks and NOT buy a scone.

I also have a serious problem with free things. Like, I get all crazy and my eyes get big and my heart rate speeds up when I'm in Costco at lunchtime. I love free samples. Of anything. Shampoo, food, you name it. I'm addicted to little packets and I firmly believe that one bite of a deep fried piece of shrimp has no calories, because it is a sample and therefore, free.

So, you can assume correctly that free food + breakfast pastry would send me into an absolute tizzy. And you'd be right.

Way back in the dark ages, when I was a teacher at the high school I attended (what up, BHS peeps?), Wednesdays were staff meeting days. School started an hour later for the students, and we teachers got to go to a faculty meeting and enjoy the droning of whatever was deemed important that week.

It was also "Starbucks leftover day." The best day of the week, if you ask me.

I don't know if it was a mom who worked at the local Starbucks or if it was just some good samaritan parent who knew we teachers would devour anything free that wasn't nailed down. Whoever she was, she was like a Goddess sent to us by the Heaven of Free Pastry.

The Goddess would bring in the day-old pastry, rescued from certain dumpster death, and drop them on the front counter in the main office for us.

But here's the funny part. Were they in bakery boxes? No. Paper Starbucks bags? No.

She would drop them on the counter in all their glory...in a big, clear, plastic garbage bag. (So I never really knew if they actually came from the dumpster or if they were just awaiting their trip to the dumpster when she picked them up for us.)

And us teachers would descend on that garbage bag like it was the last food on earth. I'm amazed no one got penciled over a blueberry scone.

And if I got the blueberry scone? Then it was a good Wednesday.



There would most certainly been some bloodshed if these donuts had been part of the garbage bag.

A peanut butter donut. Dipped completely in chocolate. And topped with chopped Reese's Peanut Butter Cups.

Has your head exploded yet?

These were a Happy Birthday-Thank You gift for a friend of mine. I hope she doesn't mind she only got five of them. I had to eat one. Blogging rule #1: always taste.


Enjoy!


Chocolate Dipped Peanut Butter Donuts
by Crazy for Crust (donut recipe from Fake Ginger)

Ingredients
  • ¼ cup peanut butter
  • ¼ cup sugar
  • 1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon milk
  • 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
  • ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 egg
  • 1 cup all purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • ¼ teaspoon salt
  • 1 bag chocolate candy melts
  • 1 cup chopped mini Reese’s peanut butter cups (or you could use peanuts)
Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 325°. Spray a 6-hole donut pan with nonstick cooking spray.
  2. Mix peanut butter and sugar with a mixer until fluffy. Add milk, oil, eggs, and vanilla; mix. Stir baking powder, salt, and flour into wet mixture. Mix just until combined. Place your dough into a large Ziploc bag and cut off the tip. Pipe evenly into the donut pan.
  3. Bake for 8-10 minutes. Cool a few minutes in pan before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
  4. When donuts are cool, melt your chocolate according to package directions. Place a wire rack over a cookie sheet. Place the donuts in the chocolate, covering the entire bottom half. Place chocolate-side up on the wire rack and chill to harden. Repeat the dipping process, covering the other half of the donut with chocolate. Sprinkle with chopped peanut butter cups while still wet. Let harden and enjoy!
Powered by Recipage




Have a Linky Party you want me to join? Add it HERE.
I link up to all of these fabulous parties each week!
Tea Party Tuesdays at Sweetology, Talent Show Tuesday at Chef in TrainingTrick or Treat Tuesday at Inside BruCrew Life, Cast Party Wednesday at Lady Behind the Curtain, Sweet Treats Thursday at Something Swanky, Chic-and-Crafty at the Frugal Girls, Tastetastic Thursday at A Little Nosh, Sweet Tooth Friday at Alli-n-sons, I'm Lovin' it Fridays at TidyMom, Sweets for a Saturday at Sweet as Sugar Cookies, A Well-Seasoned LifeStrut your Stuff Saturday at Six Sisters' Stuff, and all of these too!

Labels: , , ,

63 Comments:

At April 15, 2012 at 6:21 PM , Blogger Michael said...

Oh Dorothy, these are speaking to me!!

 
At April 15, 2012 at 7:40 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

holy cow...for real? This is on my "last supper" list for sure. YOU ROCK

 
At April 15, 2012 at 7:49 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

Thanks Trish! You make me laugh. :)

 
At April 15, 2012 at 8:16 PM , Blogger Lisa said...

Totally outrageous!

 
At April 15, 2012 at 8:22 PM , Blogger Sugar Swings said...

Wow! That still counts as breakfast right??? Awesome!

 
At April 15, 2012 at 9:17 PM , Blogger Shannon said...

I was the lucky recipient of these donuts from heaven! They were pure peanut butter chocolate bliss! I ate 3 of them, one for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. I shared the other 2 with my husband and son. These were very hard to share because they were THAT delicious!

 
At April 15, 2012 at 9:31 PM , Blogger keatseatsblog said...

mmmmmm-mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, good lookin'!!!

 
At April 15, 2012 at 9:49 PM , Blogger Hayley @ The Domestic Rebel said...

Yeah, these look pretty darn sinfully delicious. I can't believe the WHOLE DONUT is dipped in chocolate and not just like, a partial frosting job. Dude, you outdid yourself. Now bring me some!
Oh, and fyi, if Starbucks brought me day-old pastries in a garbage bag, I wouldn't think twice, either! I'd be No. 2 pencil stabbin' my way to those coffee cakes. YUM.

 
At April 15, 2012 at 9:56 PM , Blogger beti said...

Honeslty I couldn't stop laughing, I'm like that whenever I go to Costco but I mean it doesn't matter it those pastries were meant to go to the garbage can, they were free and as far as I can see they were still delicious and clean

 
At April 15, 2012 at 10:23 PM , Blogger Kristin said...

Anything will disappear if you put it in the teachers' lounge. Including the old burnt coffee in the never-gets-cleaned coffee pot. I like the term "penciled". Like the teachers' version of shanking...This just reminds me that I need to use my doughnut pan more!

 
At April 16, 2012 at 5:50 AM , Blogger Jocelyn said...

I'm pretty sure I would pencil someone if they tried to get these away from me!!! My head is definitely in exploding danger as I sit here and drool over these!!! And yes, it is a definite blogger rule that you have to try everything you make:-) I'm sure I read that somewhere!!!!

 
At April 16, 2012 at 6:28 AM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

When I thought about dipping the whole thing in chocolate I was like, mind blown. ;) And thanks for the story inspiration - the memory came to me from our Friday night convo about a certain cupcake shop...

 
At April 16, 2012 at 6:38 AM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

Thanks Shannon! I'm glad you liked them. :)

 
At April 16, 2012 at 6:45 AM , Blogger Julie said...

WHY WHY WHY DID YOU POST THIS??!!!!! :-) I pinned it and I'm going to stare at the pin all day hoping I can use the force to make the picture real.

 
At April 16, 2012 at 6:58 AM , Blogger Tobins' Tastes said...

These look insane! I am always looking for a reason to use my donuts pan. Have to make it worth the purchase right?

Thanks for linking up at Mealtime Monday!

Kaylee
http://www.couponingncooking.com/2012/04/mealtime-monday-recipe-link-up-party_15.html

 
At April 16, 2012 at 7:29 AM , Blogger Ellen @ BakeItWithBooze said...

I believe in the sacraficial sample...How else are ya gonna know it's ok? I really should get one of those pans...

 
At April 16, 2012 at 7:38 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

WOW! These doughnuts look DIVINE! :)

 
At April 16, 2012 at 8:58 AM , Blogger Nicky @ Pink Recipe Box said...

Oh my gosh. I don't think I've ever been so excited by a donut! Love you post, too. I totally agree than any and all free samples are calorie free because they come in such tiny portions!

 
At April 16, 2012 at 9:08 AM , Blogger Bobbie said...

Wow! These scream trouble! Maybe I'll make a half batch so I don't feel so bad when I consume all of them!

 
At April 16, 2012 at 9:56 AM , Blogger Melissa said...

I can't wait to make these!!!

 
At April 16, 2012 at 10:12 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

LOL I can just imagine the teacher fights;p And these look awesome, but she would have only got four if it was me. You need to taste two, to make doubly sure they are really good.

 
At April 16, 2012 at 10:13 AM , Blogger Lisa @ Flour Me With Love said...

Dorothy this looks beyond delicious! Thanks so much for sharing at Mix it up Monday :)

 
At April 16, 2012 at 10:33 AM , Blogger Erin said...

Holy crap! These look like heaven in a ring! That's so funny. I work in a school and we have no Goddess that brings in delicious baked goods for us =o( Shoot. You have one lucky friend to receive 5 of these bad boys! YUM!

 
At April 16, 2012 at 11:19 AM , Blogger Rachel @ Simple Girl said...

I'm just laughing to myself thinking about feeding one of these to my kids for breakfast before they go off to school! :-)

We actually have a nice old man that collects the baked goods from Starbucks and puts them in the teacher's lounge! They come in a big plastic storage container which makes it seem a little more legit than a garbage bag!

 
At April 16, 2012 at 12:03 PM , Blogger Megan said...

chocolate and peanut butter were made for each other! Those look amazing!

 
At April 16, 2012 at 12:19 PM , Blogger Ashley @ Kitchen Meets Girl said...

I made baked donuts over the weekend...but now that I see these, I realize I'm going to have to make more THIS WEEK. Chocolate and peanut butter is really the best combination there is, and these are definitely calling my name. These turned out gorgeous!!

 
At April 16, 2012 at 1:28 PM , Blogger Our Pinteresting Family said...

WOW! These look amazing! Can't wait to try this out. Megan

 
At April 16, 2012 at 1:48 PM , Blogger Veronica LaChance said...

This looks like pure heaven! I'm a sucker for anything peanut butter and chocolate..... Yum!!!

 
At April 16, 2012 at 1:49 PM , Blogger Sue said...

Of course you have to taste one! :) I have a mini donut pan just waiting to be christened:) These sound amazing!

 
At April 16, 2012 at 2:51 PM , Blogger erica said...

Oh my goodness... don't these just look amazing. xo

 
At April 16, 2012 at 6:05 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

ohhhhhhhh my gosh. These look dangerous! even worse (or better?!) i have all of those ingredients on hand AND a new donut pan i need to break in.... :)

 
At April 16, 2012 at 7:51 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

LOL thank you! I posted it because I'm an evil, evil, person who wants to make everyone addicted to sugar like me... bwwwahahahaha! ;)

 
At April 16, 2012 at 7:52 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

Totally. 100%. That's blogger rule #2. :)

 
At April 16, 2012 at 7:52 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

Yes, yes you should. Boozy donuts!!!!

 
At April 16, 2012 at 7:53 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

Thank you! :)

 
At April 16, 2012 at 7:53 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

Thanks Nicola! :) And totally: tiny food has no calories. It's a total fact!

 
At April 16, 2012 at 7:54 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

Trouble yes. I originally thought 6 donuts was manageable. With these? Um...maybe not. Ha!

 
At April 16, 2012 at 7:54 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

Darn! I didn't know that part of the rule. I'll have to remember it next time. :)

 
At April 16, 2012 at 7:55 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

Well, peanut butter has protein, right? What a nice man! So you know what I mean then... :)

 
At April 16, 2012 at 7:56 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

Thanks Ashley! For sure, you need more. I think donuts might become a weekly thing here...

 
At April 16, 2012 at 7:56 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

Scary! Good luck... ;) And enjoy!

 
At April 17, 2012 at 4:35 AM , Blogger Debra Kapellakis said...

oh oh oh...this is scarey stuff, chocolate and peanut butter the best combination ever and now in a donut...WOW..my head exploded...

 
At April 17, 2012 at 7:18 AM , Blogger Erin said...

Head explosion? More like heart explosion <3

 
At April 17, 2012 at 8:17 AM , Blogger Shannon said...

My husband has an unnatural love for peanut butter and these would be perfect. :) I will be making these soon. Thanks for sharing!

 
At April 17, 2012 at 8:44 AM , Blogger Karyn said...

Whoa! That's all I got - Whoa!

Oh, and... um... garbage bag? really? Classy!

 
At April 17, 2012 at 9:24 AM , Blogger Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious said...

Best. donut. combination. ever. Seriously, I think I would die eating these.

 
At April 17, 2012 at 6:24 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

Thanks so much! :) They were heaven on a plate.

 
At April 17, 2012 at 6:28 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

LOL! Thanks Erin!

 
At April 17, 2012 at 6:30 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

Mine too. I'm evil. Bwahahaha! :) I hope you enjoy them!

 
At April 18, 2012 at 9:55 AM , Blogger Sweet Twist - Meg said...

Oh my, these look absolutely sinful! drooling.

 
At April 18, 2012 at 4:22 PM , Blogger ealldredge5 said...

I'm so glad I own a donut pan. I'd love it you shared these at my link party as well. http://acraftycook.blogspot.com/2012/04/1-month-of-fun-april-link-party-and.html

 
At April 19, 2012 at 9:23 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Oh my... Yes my head has exploded! Can't wait to try these!! Exactly what hormonal prego needs!! hehe!! Thanks for sharing on 2 Maids a Baking!!

 
At April 19, 2012 at 9:56 AM , Blogger Onna said...

These look too good to be legal. Yum!!

 
At April 19, 2012 at 6:59 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

Thank you! :)

 
At April 19, 2012 at 7:02 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

LOL! Thanks so much. :)

 
At April 19, 2012 at 8:51 PM , Blogger Kelley @ TheGrantLife.com said...

Hi! Visiting from Michelle's Tasty Creations! My head did explode! Ha.. just kidding. But this looks delish and I want one please :)

Im going to see what other amazing recipes I can find on your site.. if you get a chance I would love for you to share this on my Friday link party tomorrow!

 
At April 20, 2012 at 1:27 PM , Blogger Michelle Day said...

Hi Dorothy,

You're killing me! These are so sinful looking that the calories already jumped off your blog onto me! I can't wait to try these out; we are definitely a chocolate/peanut butter family.

I can't wait to see what you link up next week; although I might gain less weight if I wear a blindfold on your site. Have a wonderful weekend.

Michelle

 
At April 20, 2012 at 7:38 PM , Blogger Carol, The Answer Is Chocolate said...

I don't even know where to begin?! These are all kinds of wonderful. And I'm so with you on the free stuff. I will race up to people on the street who are giving stuff away before they even have a chance to offer it to me. I need help!

 
At April 21, 2012 at 9:00 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Oh My...these look delicious! Dangerous but delicious! I wanted to let you know that I featured them today! Come check it out http://www.thegunnysack.com/2012/04/who-was-stuffed-in-gunny-sack-week-33.html

 
At April 21, 2012 at 9:21 AM , Blogger Back for Seconds said...

I dont know how I missed these earlier!! I just happen to have an emergency bag of pb cups in the cabinet....I will be needing them today to make these. So much for organizing the basement. At least I know I have my priorities straight!

 
At April 21, 2012 at 7:32 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

These look so good! Of course you had to taste, I would probably end up eating all of these! The school where my husband teaches sounds like yours, they have a donut day once a month and the donuts are devoured. Thanks for sharing at Showcase Your Talent Thursday. I hope to see you there next week!

 
At April 22, 2012 at 1:38 PM , Blogger Addicted to Recipes said...

Oh geez. Wow. I am at a loss for words. These look awesome! Thanks for teasing and posting them at Scrumptious Sunday :-) Love them!!

 
At April 22, 2012 at 11:23 PM , Blogger Emily Thompson said...

Oh my, this looks amazing!! Thanks for linking to Tasty Tuesday at NapTime creations. You are being featured this week! Come by and grab a featured button.

 

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment! Reading your comments is better than eating pie...and if you know me that's saying a lot. :)

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home