10 April 2012

Almond Pudding Cookies with Brown Sugar Frosting


Have you seen Million Dollar Rooms on HGTV? It's a show where they showcase (you guessed it) rooms that cost a cool mil to build.

Because, you know, spending a million dollars on a room is totally reasonable.

Now, I can kinda understand spending that much on, say, a pool area. Maybe a garage or media room. Pools and movie equipment are expensive, especially by rich people tastes.

But last week I saw an episode that included a million dollar closet.

Yes, I just said a million dollar CLOSET. That, it turns out, is worth at least five million dollars if you include the contents.

Because the closet was inspired by Coco Chanel. And, as the owner of the closet points out, Chanel purses ain't cheap.

Neither, apparently, was the $30,000 18-karat gold chandelier.

Or the $10,000 rug with the Chanel logo.

Or the hand-crafted wrought-iron staircase (yes, I said staircase; for the two-story 48,000 square foot closet) copied from the mirrored Chanel staircase in Paris. She really wanted to do mirrors on her stairs, but she couldn't get them to bend, darn it. What a waste.

Of course, the closet has more space than she needs right now. "I need to go shopping!" she chuckles.

But hey, she lets people take tours of the closet for charity. Gotta give back, right?

{Seriously, I am not making this stuff up. You can watch the episode here. The closet is in the last five minutes of the show.}

Want to see something that doesn't cost a million bucks?


Almond Pudding Cookies with a Brown Sugar Frosting. Is there anything in that sentence that doesn't sound good?

I made these for a friend who helped me out a lot when my parents were sick. She loves almond and almond extract and had given up chocolate for lent. I did some searching and came up with this recipe. They are the perfect "thank you" cookie. They're soft and chewy, sweet and almondy. If you like almonds, this recipe is for you!


Totally worth a million bucks for a fraction of the price.

**Hey! I'm participating in a sweet auction today benefiting The House of Mews. Want to bid on some yummy treats from some of your favorite bloggers? Head on over to visit Erin at The Spiffy Cookie and bid!**

Almond Pudding Cookies with Brown Sugar Frosting

by Crazy for Crust
(Cookie recipe adapted from Chef in Training, Frosting adapted from Eat's Well with Others)

Ingredients
    For the Cookies:
    • 1 ½ sticks butter
    • ¾ cup brown sugar
    • ¼ cup sugar
    • 1 (3.4 oz) package instant vanilla pudding mix
    • 2 eggs
    • 1 teaspoon almond extract
    • 1 tsp baking soda
    • 2-1/4 cups flour
    • 1 cup chopped sliced almonds
    For the Frosting:
    • ½ cup brown sugar
    • 2 tablespoons milk
    • 3 tablespoons butter
    • ½ teaspoon almond extract
    • 1 cup powdered sugar
    • 1 cup (or so) sliced almonds, toasted
    Instructions
    1. Preheat oven to 350°. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
    2. Whisk together baking soda and flour and set aside.
    3. Cream together butter and sugars. Add the pudding package and beat until well blended. Add eggs and almond extract. Slowly add the flour and mix until just combined. Stir in almonds.
    4. Roll into 1” balls and place on your cookie sheets. Bake for 10-12 minutes. Cool completely before frosting.
    5. To make the frosting: combine the brown sugar, milk, and butter in a saucepan over low heat. Stir until the sugar is completely dissolved into the liquid, just a few minutes. Remove from heat and add almond extract and powdered sugar. Stir until no lumps remain. Frost cookies quickly; this frosting tends to harden fast. Top immediately with toasted almonds and let the frosting harden.
    Powered by Recipage

    Enjoy!




    Have a Linky Party you want me to join? Add it HERE.
    I link up to all of these fabulous parties each week!
    Tea Party Tuesdays at Sweetology, Talent Show Tuesday at Chef in TrainingTrick or Treat Tuesday at Inside BruCrew Life, Cast Party Wednesday at Lady Behind the Curtain, Sweet Treats Thursday at Something Swanky, Chic-and-Crafty at the Frugal Girls, Tastetastic Thursday at A Little Nosh, Sweet Tooth Friday at Alli-n-sons, I'm Lovin' it Fridays at TidyMom, Sweets for a Saturday at Sweet as Sugar Cookies, A Well-Seasoned LifeStrut your Stuff Saturday at Six Sisters' Stuff, and all of these too!

    Labels: ,

    47 Comments:

    At April 10, 2012 at 7:20 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Oh YUM, if I didn't have so much Easter candy already lurking in cupboards and drawers, tempting me, I would make these RIGHT NOW. I thought about it; I mentally inventoried my fridge and cupboards to determine whether I have all of the necessary ingredients. Almond is one of my very favorite flavors. I'll definitely be making these someday soon! I miiight have to experiment with the addition of a little amaretto liqueur, too :)

     
    At April 10, 2012 at 7:26 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

    OH that sounds awesome Jacqueline. See, this is why we are going to be really good friends. :)

     
    At April 10, 2012 at 7:52 PM , Blogger Hayley @ The Domestic Rebel said...

    YUMMMMM. I can only imagine how insane that frosting must taste on a spoon or something, much less on a deliciously chewy cookie. NEED.
    And I realized today as I was desperately shoving a shirt into my jam-packed closet with all the weight I could muster that I have a too-small closet for all my clothes and stuff. I guess the only solution is to drop a mil to jazz that 'ish up, right?! I mean, who needs a million dollars laying around for something practical? My clothes are basically homeless living in this standard-sized closet--may as well upgrade!?

    And also: mirrored stairs?! WTF?! Every time you walked on them, you'd get bad luck for seven years. That's like, bad luck for life. No dice!!

     
    At April 10, 2012 at 9:53 PM , Blogger Kristin said...

    Those aren't even first-world problems that that lady has. They're like elitist-world problems.
    I'm imagining that icing as brown-sugar-fudge-like. Please tell me it's fudge-like!

     
    At April 11, 2012 at 4:13 AM , Blogger Michael said...

    Such a waste of money when you think about all the good it could do in this world. These cookies though, oh my. I love almond, and frosting, and everything else.

     
    At April 11, 2012 at 5:27 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

    OMG that is bigger than my house! I just don't get it, I guess if you have the money, I mean I waste my fair share. And yum to the cookies, those I can afford.

     
    At April 11, 2012 at 5:57 AM , Blogger Robin @ Bird On A Cake said...

    Sounds delish, I LOVE almond extract in pretty much anything! Your photos are FAB, by the way. :0)

     
    At April 11, 2012 at 6:41 AM , Blogger Jocelyn said...

    It is sad the things that people spend money on...seriously a closet worth a million? Doesn't seem right when there are people starving in other parts of the world.

    Your cookies look and sound totally awesome. Great minds must think alike since I posted pudding cookies today too:-)

     
    At April 11, 2012 at 6:42 AM , Blogger Erin said...

    Those cookies sounds great! And thanks so much for adding all the info for the bake sale to your blog!

     
    At April 11, 2012 at 7:15 AM , Blogger Sue said...

    These cookies sound amazing! I adore almond extract in baked goods:)
    Hey, If I moved into that closet, maybe they wouldn't notice:) 48,000 square feet is HUUUUUUGE for a HOUSE, much less a closet?!?

     
    At April 11, 2012 at 7:52 AM , Blogger FeauxCajun said...

    48,000 sq ft for a closet? I...just...but...*brain implodes* For that amount of space, you could make 48 very nice apartments & rent them out for, say, $1000/month (assuming a bigger city type place)...and MAKE $576,000 a year. Or, say, use a very reasonable 1,000 sq ft of closet for yourself, and make the other 47,000 into 47 apartments...You'd still have $564,000/year.

    Okay, I'm going to stop doing math now. And those cookies look YUMMY.

     
    At April 11, 2012 at 8:01 AM , Blogger Mindie Hilton said...

    These sound really good.

     
    At April 11, 2012 at 8:24 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

    Pudding cookies?! It just gets awesomer (is that even a word) each time I come here. I'm imagining biting into these and them being wonderfully soft and almost gooeyy inside... Mmmm!

    As for the million dollar rooms. That's just craziness! Lucky puppies. Heck, I'd love a million dollars, or even half that for an entire house. I'm not picky but a cool million on just a closet. Craziness! We obviously don't get that show this side of the pond. Although, in a way, kinda makes me sad that these people spend their moolah on closets when so many people are living in poverty from unexpected circumstances (like hurricanes, tornadoes, etc.) Rant over! :)

    -Lisa.
    Sweet 2 Eat Baking.

     
    At April 11, 2012 at 8:32 AM , Blogger Ellen @ BakeItWithBooze said...

    I always know I'm in closet trouble when I run out of hangers...I ran out of hangers about a month ago. I want these cookies!!

     
    At April 11, 2012 at 8:35 AM , Blogger Shoutforfood said...

    I'm totally drooling over these super yummy food

     
    At April 11, 2012 at 9:08 AM , Blogger Michael Ann said...

    These look SO good!!! I DO like almonds and almond extract. My son doesn't....but that means more for me and the other son! :-)

     
    At April 11, 2012 at 11:24 AM , Blogger cheapcraftymama said...

    Wow, those look amazing! Thanks for sharing @ Pin It and Win It Wednesday- featuring these on FB!

     
    At April 11, 2012 at 2:55 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

    these look amazing, as your creations always do! Thanks for linking up at Recipe Roundup.
    Oh, did you get my e-mail last week? Your button is on my sidebar! :)

     
    At April 11, 2012 at 5:49 PM , Blogger Ashley @ Kitchen Meets Girl said...

    Seriously, a million dollars for a closet? People like that should be ashamed; if you've got that much extra money laying around, do something worthwhile with it, ya know?

    I love, love, love anything almond flavored. These cookies look so soft and ooey gooey--my favorite!

     
    At April 11, 2012 at 6:49 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

    Insane is right. I licked my PAN for God's sake. And I know, my closet is, like, only 10 square feet. I'm deprived. Must find a sugar daddy.

     
    At April 11, 2012 at 6:51 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

    I know - it's bigger than 24 of my houses. That's a lot of clothes. Cookies are way better. :)

     
    At April 11, 2012 at 6:54 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

    Thanks for including me in the sale Erin!

     
    At April 11, 2012 at 6:55 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

    You made me laugh! A blogger after my own heart...a math nerd! :)

     
    At April 11, 2012 at 6:57 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

    My problem isn't hangers...but space to put them, ha! Thanks Ellen!

     
    At April 11, 2012 at 6:57 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

    Thanks so much! :)

     
    At April 11, 2012 at 6:58 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

    Amen, sister. And amen to the almond love too. :)

     
    At April 12, 2012 at 5:58 AM , Blogger Winnie said...

    These look great Dorothy
    We love almond cookies and I have to try making them with vanilla pudding in the batter.
    Have a wonderful weekend
    Winnie

     
    At April 12, 2012 at 9:50 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I WANT the cookies NOW! Regarding the closet ... I missed that one. But let me quote my son "some people have toooooo much money"

     
    At April 12, 2012 at 12:55 PM , Blogger FeauxCajun said...

    *blushes* What can I say...I'm a scientist, it comes with the territory. :D

     
    At April 12, 2012 at 6:47 PM , Blogger Cindy said...

    I just want to eat so of the yummy looking frosting!

     
    At April 12, 2012 at 11:05 PM , Blogger Ashleigh said...

    oh.my.gosh. These look so good! I love almond flavored stuff. and brown sugar. Pinning this!
    Came over from the Dwell On Joy party.
    I linked up some no sew pillows and a countertop tutorial, you should check them out.
    Have a good night :)

     
    At April 13, 2012 at 2:28 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

    Thanks Winnie! You too. :)

     
    At April 13, 2012 at 2:28 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

    That is SO true. :) Thanks for reading!

     
    At April 13, 2012 at 4:29 PM , Blogger Maria said...

    Yum these look delicious! I love anything with almonds, and the brown sugar frosting sounds really good too. Plus they look so pretty!

     
    At April 13, 2012 at 4:43 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

    These look great! I can't wait to try them.

     
    At April 13, 2012 at 5:45 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Well they look delicious. I'd like one too.
    Pat

     
    At April 14, 2012 at 7:28 AM , Blogger Carol, The Answer Is Chocolate said...

    They look like a million bucks and I bet they taste like it too! YUM!

     
    At April 15, 2012 at 5:15 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

    These were made specifically for me! Unreal (the closet and the cookies!) Just shared this on my spotlight post! Thanks for linking up! http://www.aturtleslifeforme.com/2012/04/sunday-spotlights.html

     
    At April 15, 2012 at 6:10 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

    I hope you enjoy them! :)

     
    At April 16, 2012 at 9:19 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

    Those cookies look amazing! A five million dollar closet. Seriously?! I love the way you built up to the cookies with the million dollar room. Thanks so much for sharing at Whimsy Wednesdays!

     
    At April 16, 2012 at 11:08 AM , Blogger Onna said...

    Yummm! These look awesome! Thanks for sharing!!

     
    At April 17, 2012 at 6:23 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

    Thanks so much! :)

     
    At April 18, 2012 at 1:57 PM , Blogger Trish - Mom On Timeout said...

    Wowza! These looks awesome! I love the brown sugar frosting! Thanks so much for sharing at Mom On Timeout!

     
    At April 19, 2012 at 10:37 PM , Blogger Addicted to Recipes said...

    It's funny what people think they need, like a million dollar closer. Yikes! I can think of a few other things to do with a million bucks, like pay off my mortgage and fund the RESP's for the kids. Thanks for sharing your treats at Scrumptious Sunday, you'll have to have me over for some (sadly my hubby is allergic to almonds so I can't try your recipe, as much as I would love to!!) have a super night!

     
    At April 20, 2012 at 11:49 AM , Blogger amy and jesse hudson said...

    Pinning! I LOVE almonds!


    Thanks so much for linking at Drab to Fab!

    Today's party link: http://www.amynjesse.com/2012/04/drab-to-fab-link-up-13-features.html

    Have a great weekend! :)

    Amy

     
    At April 21, 2012 at 2:24 AM , Blogger Sophie said...

    Hey Dorothy! Thanks so much for linking up this week! They look so delicious... AND they were featured today! :) Hope to see you again this week! :)

     
    At April 22, 2012 at 6:03 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

    Thank you so much! :)

     

    Post a Comment

    Thank you for your comment! Reading your comments is better than eating pie...and if you know me that's saying a lot. :)

    Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

    << Home