28 March 2012

Kiss my Cookie Bark {Coconut Edition}


Last weekend Jordan and I went to run errands together. We went to the dollar store and the grocery store.

We've been trying to (remember) to pay her an allowance, in return for doing some extra chores around the house. She gets $5 per week that she puts in her piggy bank and I try to remember to make her pay for extra stuff, like those awesome toys you can get at Dollar Tree.

She's not too good yet about understanding saving her money or waiting to spend it until she has enough for what she wants. (Case in point: a few weeks ago she paid me $5 so she could style me for the day.)

But in the car on our way to shopping she asked me what it meant to "save up for something." So I told her that it meant she saved her money in order to buy something more expensive than what she has. I used the example that the Lego set she wants is $50 (side note: can we say outrageous?)

"How many 5's does it take to get to $50?" she asked me.

I made her count by five's to get to fifty. "Ten," she answered herself.

It was quiet for a minute.

"Mommy," she said, "you know what would be easier? ... If you paid me $10 instead of $5."

Smart kid. Future Donald Trump? Or she'll win an award for being the lead of her sales team.

Either way, when I'm old and poor, I hope she'll be able to afford to keep me in Hershey's Kisses.


As soon as I made this version of this bark at Christmas, I knew I was going to make it with my favorite Kisses of all time.


Coconut Creme. Oh, how I love you.


This bark starts with macaroons. You can buy them at the store or make your own. I cut down the recipe so it only makes 13. You need 12 for this bark. Do what you will with the 13th. I'm not telling where mine went.


Chop up the good stuff.


Lay out a lake of chocolate.


And top it with the good stuff. I added toasted almonds too.


Now we just need to start a petition to get the Coconut Creme Kisses in full-year rotation. Maybe I'll get Jordan on that. She can talk anyone into anything.




Kiss My Cookie Bark {Coconut Edition}
by Crazy for Crust
Ingredients
  • 12 macaroon cookies (1” size) either store-bought or from scratch (see below for recipe)
  • 30 Hershey’s Coconut Creme Kisses (or, if you can’t find those, try the almond ones)
  • 3 cups Milk Chocolate Chips
  • ¼ - ½ cup sliced almonds, toasted (place in a 350° oven on a baking sheet for just a few minutes)
Instructions
  1. Chop up your macaroons and Kisses. Line a cookie sheet with waxed paper.
  2. Melt chocolate chips in a medium, microwave safe bowl about 2 minutes, stirring every 30 seconds.
  3. Spread 2/3 of the melted chocolate on the prepared cookie sheet. Sprinkle chopped cookies, Kisses, and almonds on top. Drizzle with remaining chocolate. Chill until hardened. Break into pieces before serving.
Powered by Recipage

Coconut Macaroons (Small Batch)
by Crazy for Crust

Ingredients (Makes 13)
  • 1 1/3 cups sweetened coconut
  • 2 tablespoons + 2 teaspoons sugar
  • 1 ½ tablespoons flour
  • Pinch salt
  • ¼ teaspoon almond extract
  • 1 egg white
Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 350°. Grease and flour a cookie sheet, or use a Silpat.
  2. Stir together coconut, sugar, flour, and salt in a medium bowl. Add almond extract and egg white and stir until well blended. Drop 1” balls onto your prepared cookie sheet.
  3. Bake about 15 minutes until edges of cookies are golden brown. Remove from cookie sheet to wire rack to cool.
Powered by Recipage



Have a Linky Party you want me to join? Add it HERE.
I link up to all of these fabulous parties each week!
Tea Party Tuesdays at Sweetology, Talent Show Tuesday at Chef in TrainingTrick or Treat Tuesday at Inside BruCrew Life, Cast Party Wednesday at Lady Behind the Curtain, Sweet Treats Thursday at Something Swanky, Chic-and-Crafty at the Frugal Girls, Tastetastic Thursday at A Little Nosh, Sweet Tooth Friday at Alli-n-sons, I'm Lovin' it Fridays at TidyMom, Sweets for a Saturday at Sweet as Sugar Cookies, A Well-Seasoned LifeStrut your Stuff Saturday at Six Sisters' Stuff, and all of these too!

Labels: , ,

49 Comments:

At March 28, 2012 at 6:14 PM , Blogger Lisa said...

I have a friend who is a coconut fiend. She would go crazy for this stuff. Gonna share this recipe with her.

 
At March 28, 2012 at 6:15 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yup... just another product I'lll never see up here... looks yummy!

 
At March 28, 2012 at 9:13 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Some of the best bark I have seen right here - YUM!

Cheers
Choc Chip Uru
Latest: Maple Raisin Ice Cream

 
At March 28, 2012 at 10:33 PM , Blogger Hayley @ The Domestic Rebel said...

Our Dollar Tree really does have some awesome toys, haha. And she's onto something with that $10 scheme. Maybe I'll ask my boss tomorrow why I'm not getting paid $16 dollars instead. When I'm fired, will you please give me more of this bark? Because people, I can vouch that is IS AMAZING. I ate it all within minutes and instantly craved more of it. The toasted almonds were one of my fave parts for sure. MORE PLEASE! :)

 
At March 29, 2012 at 2:38 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

ok, i adore coconut!! this recipe is for me :)

 
At March 29, 2012 at 4:00 AM , Blogger Michael said...

Oh my this is genius! I just tried the coconut kisses recently (and used them to make samoa cookies). They were incredible!!

 
At March 29, 2012 at 5:01 AM , Blogger Cupcake Crazy Gem said...

Hmm this looks SO delicious! I am obsessed with coconut, I only wish we got the hershey's coconut creme's in the UK!

 
At March 29, 2012 at 5:07 AM , Blogger The Better Baker said...

Awesome combination os YUUUUMMMMMMMMM! You are so clever and a woman after my heart...and tummy too! =D

 
At March 29, 2012 at 6:40 AM , Blogger Jocelyn said...

I totally agree that the coconut kisses should be available year round. I had them last year and then poof they were gone again until just recently. Why didn't I buy more than 1 bag the other day? I don't know. More reason to go to Target again I guess:-)

This bark...pure awesomeness!!! I am a total coconut addict, so I know I would inhale it in minutes!!!!

 
At March 29, 2012 at 6:56 AM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

Thank you! :)

 
At March 29, 2012 at 6:57 AM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

Thanks Hayley! Let me know how the raise thing goes. LOL And what's really cool? I get to see you today! (I know, stalk much?)

 
At March 29, 2012 at 6:58 AM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

It's coconutty delicious, that's for sure! :)

 
At March 29, 2012 at 7:00 AM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

I wish you did too! These food manufacturers need to get on the ball. Yeah, it's another country. But we like the same sorts of things too! :) Thanks for your comment!

 
At March 29, 2012 at 7:44 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

I so want to make this, but then I would want to eat it all, so maybe I should just look at it. Oh and my kid so doesn't get the money thing, he is all, "I want that $120 lego set" I know right and you thought $50 was bad, and I tell him how long it will take to save up, and he just gets mad. Seriously I need to win the lottery I will have all the lego money he needs and I can eat all this and pay someone to work out for me!

 
At March 29, 2012 at 9:20 AM , Blogger Jenna said...

Wow I could eat the whole pan, those look amazing!! Thanks for sharing on Newlyweds Recipe linky, don't forget to link back so others can join in too.

I am pinning this if you'd like to follow me at http://pinterest.com/newlyweds/

 
At March 29, 2012 at 9:44 AM , Blogger Ella Hanson said...

How did I not know about coconut kisses? I need to find them. I love coconut!

 
At March 29, 2012 at 12:32 PM , Blogger Ellen @ BakeItWithBooze said...

I would very much LOVE to try this bark...I'm in love with coconut-almost-anything. I live REALLY close! :)

 
At March 29, 2012 at 12:33 PM , Blogger Pastry Chef Baking said...

You are my hero - I love coconut and chocolate. Pinning so I remember to make it later :)

 
At March 29, 2012 at 1:42 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a fabulous bark! Your kiddo is very smart and funny. Sounds like you guys have a great start on teaching her about money. We still need to work on that over here...mine are 14 and 17...maybe it's a little late. :O

 
At March 29, 2012 at 4:46 PM , Blogger Ashley @ Kitchen Meets Girl said...

It always amazes me how smart these kiddos are. Sometimes I think my 4-year old is smarter than my husband and me put together--scary!!

And man, oh man, do I love coconut. This bark looks out of this world!

 
At March 29, 2012 at 5:04 PM , Blogger Susan-The Weekly Sweet Experiment said...

Looks delicious! I will never add up what we have spent on Legos. It would scare me too much!

 
At March 29, 2012 at 6:25 PM , Blogger Becky McNeer said...

I look forward to coming back here every week!!! These look fantastic! Come link up to Foodie Friday

 
At March 29, 2012 at 6:37 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

Thanks! :)

 
At March 29, 2012 at 6:38 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

Definitely scary. Chucky scary. ;) Thanks Ashley!

 
At March 29, 2012 at 6:38 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

Oh, I don't think it'll stick. We've a long way to go before that happens. Most of the time she wants something and tells me to use "that plastic thing." D'oh. Thanks so much for your comment!

 
At March 29, 2012 at 6:39 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

Next time I make coconut goodies I'll remember that... :) I'm always looking for places to sent the good stuff!

 
At March 29, 2012 at 6:39 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

Aw, thanks so much! :)

 
At March 29, 2012 at 6:41 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

They are to die for!! :)

 
At March 29, 2012 at 6:42 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

Ditto Sue! The mega-millions is almost at 500 million. I'd take a cool mil. That would help a lot, LOL!

 
At March 29, 2012 at 6:43 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

Thanks so much for hosting! :)

 
At March 29, 2012 at 6:58 PM , Blogger Cindy said...

I'm in love with coconut kisses, this looks wonderful!

 
At March 29, 2012 at 9:00 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Great recipe! If I just switch the flour to matzo cake meal, it will be a fantastic recipe for Passover this year. Definitely going to try! Thanks for sharing!

 
At March 30, 2012 at 7:59 AM , Blogger Melanie @ bear rabbit bear said...

Looks great- your title made me laugh!! Glad to have you at Things I've Done Thursday!

 
At March 30, 2012 at 8:15 AM , Blogger Jill Schrader said...

This looks delicious! I'm definitely going to try it when I find some coconut kisses. I've never had them before!

 
At March 30, 2012 at 10:15 AM , Blogger Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious said...

Wow, this bark is filled with tons of fun stuff. I love that you incorporated macaroon cookies. Definitely a plus in my book! :)

 
At March 30, 2012 at 8:18 PM , Blogger Maria said...

Wow what an awesome idea! I've never seen bark done this way!! Looks AMAZING!

 
At March 31, 2012 at 8:05 AM , Blogger Carol, The Answer Is Chocolate said...

Oh my yum! Is there anything better than chocolate and coconut? And that's a smart girl you've got there mom!

 
At March 31, 2012 at 6:51 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

Thank you! :)

 
At March 31, 2012 at 8:15 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

This looks so good, I really wish that my husband liked coconut. I might just have to make some for myself. Just wanted to let you know that I am awarding you the Versatile Blogger Award today on my blog. Have a great rest of the weekend!

 
At April 1, 2012 at 9:19 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Oh my goodness, I'm in love with you. Your writing style. Your pictures. Your recipes. Your conversations. I'm so in love with you!!

I just read this post and the one on stupid computers and I'll be featuring both tonight on my spotlight post! Oh girl, you're my new favorite.

 
At April 1, 2012 at 9:22 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

By the way, I MUST add that I obviously know that this isn't the first time that I've "seen" you, but you really resonated with me today! I'm just imagining you sitting there shaking your head going, "that crazy girl should know me by now, what is she even talking about??".

 
At April 3, 2012 at 5:27 AM , Blogger Lisa @ Flour Me With Love said...

This is so clever and I bet delicious! I didn't even know they sold coconut cream kisses! Thanks so much for sharing at Mix it up Monday...Have a blessed Easter Dorothy :)

 
At April 4, 2012 at 7:24 PM , Blogger Michelle Day said...

Oh my goodness this looks like HEAVEN! I am a coconut LOVER and am always looking for the perfect Macaroon recipe so thanks for that. I can't wait to make these. I'll be going out tomorrow to scout out the coconut creme kisses. Have a great week.

Michelle

 
At April 5, 2012 at 2:22 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

Good luck! Thanks and I hope you have a wonderful weekend!

 
At April 5, 2012 at 7:04 PM , Blogger amy and jesse hudson said...

Hey Friend! Featuring this at Drab to Fab tonight and tomorrow! Congrats! Hope you'll join me again with more of your great ideas!

http://www.amynjesse.com/2012/04/drab-to-fab-link-up-11-features.html

Have a great weekend :)

Amy

 
At April 5, 2012 at 9:45 PM , Blogger Addicted to Recipes said...

Sounds delicious! We are thinking about giving our son an allowance too, seems about time to start teaching him about money (he has his eyes on some fancy lego sets too)...our kids must be talking! Thanks for sharing!

 
At April 6, 2012 at 6:15 PM , Blogger Cherish said...

Say what? They have coconut kisses? I have to make this recipe...and buy an extra bag for eating!

 
At April 16, 2012 at 6:43 AM , Blogger Izzy V. said...

WOW, this looks amazing!! I am definitely trying this :) Thanks for sharing! Cheers!

 
At April 17, 2012 at 6:22 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

I hope you enjoy it! Thanks for reading. :)

 

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment! Reading your comments is better than eating pie...and if you know me that's saying a lot. :)

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home