25 March 2012

Baby Chicks


Last year, I posted Baby Peeps.


Obviously, my creative apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

Because this year I made Baby Chicks.

I was particularly proud of the Baby Peeps recipe last year, because it was the first recipe to ever get featured by any party. Allison, from Alli 'n Sons featured it after a Sweet Tooth Friday linky. She stumbled it and got so many hits. I was smiling for days.

I knew I wanted to stuff eggs with something again. I was going to do a filling. But then I thought about those Mini Nutter Butters I still had in my pantry from making this and this.

And I thought, hmmm. Those kinda look like baby chicks. (If baby chicks are small, round, and filled with peanut butter.)

Then I asked myself, what should I do with baby chicks?

Well, stuff them in eggs, of course.

First, you need to make your baby chicks. Dip your Nutters (or mini Oreos) in yellow candy melts. Let them harden, then melt some orange candy melts and pipe on beaks.


Then pipe some feet and stand your chick up on them.


Then you need to make your eggs. I use a mold I bought at An Occasional Chocolate, but I saw some silicone ones at Target last week.


Spread around your chocolate and let it harden.


Once you have all your shells, put your chicks inside.


Add some more candy around the edges.


And seal them up. (I wonder if they feel like they're in a coffin? That's kinda cruel. Must go liberate the ones in the fridge...)


So now I guess that stuffing food animals in eggs at Easter is my thing.

I hope you don't mind.

Maybe next year I'll stuff a cat in there. You know, to throw you off course.




Baby Chicks

by Crazy for Crust
Ingredients
  • Mini Nutter Butters or Mini Oreos
  • Yellow mandy melts
  • Orange candy melts
  • White and/or pink candy melts
  • Black food writer
Instructions
To Make the Chicks
  1. Melt the yellow candy melts according to package directions. (If the candy is too thick, stir in a little shortening or vegetable oil to thin.) Dip the mini cookies into the candy and tap off the excess. Lay on a wax-paper lined cookie sheet and chill to harden.
  2. Melt a small amount of orange candy melts and place them in a small squeeze bottle or pastry bag. (I fitted my squeeze bottle with a #2 tip for this step.) Make triangle beaks on each chick and let harden. To make the feet, pipe two triangles about 1/4" apart on waxed paper. Connect the fat ends of the triangles with a line of orange candy. Place the cookie chick standing up on top of the piped feet and let harden. Draw dots for eyes.

To make the Eggs
  1. Melt your white (or pink or whatever color eggs you want) candy melts. Place a spoonful in each mold and use the spoon to swipe the candy up the sides of the mold so the egg is covered. Chill to harden. Place the extra melted candy in a squeeze bottle or pastry bag fitted with a #1 or a #2 tip.
  2. Pop the egg shells out of your mold (careful now!). Place a chick in the bottom half of the mold. Pipe melted candy around the edge of the shell and place the top half on top. Fill in any holes with melted candy and let harden. Decorate tops as desired.
Powered by Recipage

Enjoy!




Have a Linky Party you want me to join? Add it HERE.
I link up to all of these fabulous parties each week!
Tea Party Tuesdays at Sweetology, Talent Show Tuesday at Chef in TrainingTrick or Treat Tuesday at Inside BruCrew Life, Cast Party Wednesday at Lady Behind the Curtain, Sweet Treats Thursday at Something Swanky, Chic-and-Crafty at the Frugal Girls, Tastetastic Thursday at A Little Nosh, Sweet Tooth Friday at Alli-n-sons, I'm Lovin' it Fridays at TidyMom, Sweets for a Saturday at Sweet as Sugar Cookies, A Well-Seasoned LifeStrut your Stuff Saturday at Six Sisters' Stuff, and all of these too!

Labels: ,

42 Comments:

At March 25, 2012 at 6:32 PM , Blogger Chandra Wood said...

Those are so intricate and cute! My nieces and nephews would love them! I don't think I could make them though, they would melt in my hands!

tayloandchandra.blogspot.com

 
At March 25, 2012 at 6:34 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

These are so cute!! I think I would be too intimidated by the multiple stages of melting and molding and shaping and dipping, but you made it sound easy :) Lovely Easter idea!

 
At March 25, 2012 at 6:46 PM , Blogger Ashley @ Kitchen Meets Girl said...

These are just about the most adorable things I've ever seen! You also have waaaaaaaaay more patience than me--I would have eaten them all before I ever got them done. I'm all for liberating those chicks!

 
At March 25, 2012 at 6:48 PM , Blogger Kristin@gratefulbelly.com said...

These are REALLY cute!

 
At March 25, 2012 at 6:53 PM , Blogger Robin @ Bird On A Cake said...

You know I love these little guys...like a mini version of my chick cupcakes! Inside a chocolate egg! Awesomeness!

 
At March 25, 2012 at 6:59 PM , Blogger Susan-The Weekly Sweet Experiment said...

Adorable!! I gotta check out the peeps from last year!!

 
At March 25, 2012 at 7:24 PM , Blogger Jocelyn said...

Those are absolutely way too cute!!!! Love that you stuffed them into a coffin...I mean shell:-)

 
At March 25, 2012 at 8:11 PM , Blogger Karyn said...

So cute!! And totally ingenious of you!

 
At March 25, 2012 at 9:04 PM , Blogger Hayley @ The Domestic Rebel said...

Um, cats DO come from eggs, so joke's on you. DUH :)
And these are SO stinkin' cute. I have always been baffled by the concept of chocolate eggs with hollow centers and just chalked it up to elf-magic or something in the depths of chocolate factories. Or Oompa Loompas; whichever can be purchased at a large quantity for a low price. Anywho, these chicks are ADORABLE. What a cute idea. I kind of want to be cruel and eat a bunch but I'm still hung up on your other treat you gave me. Mmm!!

 
At March 26, 2012 at 4:04 AM , Blogger Michael said...

Adorable!!!

 
At March 26, 2012 at 5:26 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

so cute! And you should so do a cat in a pumpkin for halloween, it could be your thing;p

 
At March 26, 2012 at 6:59 AM , Blogger Julie said...

Those are SO CUTE!!!!

 
At March 26, 2012 at 7:01 AM , Blogger Ellen said...

These look amazing! If my grandson lived nearby, I would probably try to make them. They seem creatively over my head... hahaha!

Thanks for visiting me at A Season for All Things. I'm your newest follower and look forward to finding more terrific ideas.

 
At March 26, 2012 at 7:48 AM , Blogger Cindy said...

Looks like a project my grand kids would love. Too cute.

 
At March 26, 2012 at 10:50 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

these are too cute!

 
At March 26, 2012 at 2:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Stickin' cute! You rock! So, with that being said, I want to tell you I will be awarding you the Versatile Blogger award today on our blog. :) Have a great week friend! Again, these are too cute!

 
At March 26, 2012 at 3:52 PM , Blogger Winnie said...

These are very cute and adorable
Your are soooooooooo creative

 
At March 26, 2012 at 4:24 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Dorothy, These are Fantastic (with a capital F!)! Since I'm ill and can't/won't bake with my germies lurking that I featured your cookies on my blog (links included n' all)

http://www.sweet2eatbaking.com/2012/03/sickies-are-attacking-again.html

Hope that's OK?

 
At March 26, 2012 at 6:08 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

These are so stinkin cute!!

 
At March 26, 2012 at 7:53 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

That's the benefit of always being cold - no melting chocolate! :) Thanks for reading!

 
At March 26, 2012 at 7:54 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

Thanks Jacqueline! It's definitely a process, but worth it in the end. :) Have a great night!

 
At March 26, 2012 at 7:54 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

Thank you! Yes, it was hard not to eat them. Now they are too pretty to eat! :)

 
At March 26, 2012 at 7:55 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

I know, hollow centers? What cheapskates the candy makers are! I'm all about stuffing that hollow with something. Why not more candy???

 
At March 26, 2012 at 7:56 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

OMG that's such a great idea!!! I'll have to remember that. Thanks Sue!

 
At March 26, 2012 at 7:56 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

Thanks Karen!

 
At March 26, 2012 at 9:14 PM , Blogger Sue said...

Scrolling down, these tiny chicks just got cuter and cuter! I love that they stand up too:)

 
At March 27, 2012 at 12:15 AM , Blogger Amy said...

These are darlings! They are absolutely too adorable. :) LOL...stuff them the the eggs, I think they are super festive.

 
At March 27, 2012 at 2:00 AM , Blogger Nicky @ Pink Recipe Box said...

Oh my! These are unbelievably adorable - I've got to give them a go this weekend!

 
At March 27, 2012 at 5:47 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

O my cuteness! You are so stinkin creative. Love them!

 
At March 27, 2012 at 9:38 AM , Blogger Lisa @ Flour Me With Love said...

These are too cute Dorothy! Thanks so much for sharing at Mix it up Monday :)

 
At March 27, 2012 at 2:33 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

So cute!!! especially the last pic of the chick carrying the shell!

 
At March 27, 2012 at 5:07 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

Thank you! :)

 
At March 27, 2012 at 5:07 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

Thank you! I love stuffing stuff. :)

 
At March 27, 2012 at 5:08 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

Thank you! I hope you enjoy them. :)

 
At March 28, 2012 at 4:47 PM , Blogger Christine said...

Oh my word... These look amazing!!!! I can only find white candy melt here! But there's a Michael's opening soon.. so maybe they'll have COLORS!!


Thanks so much for sharing this at The DIY Dreamer.. From Dream To Reality!

 
At March 28, 2012 at 5:27 PM , Blogger Debbie said...

Adorable!! And so clever...love your little chicks! I'll be interested in seeing how you pull off the cat next year. ;)

 
At March 29, 2012 at 7:03 AM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

LOL, thanks Debbie!

 
At March 29, 2012 at 7:51 PM , Blogger Michelle | Creative Food said...

I love your baby chicks!!! They are so cute!

 
At March 30, 2012 at 4:28 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

Thanks Michelle! :)

 
At April 1, 2012 at 4:30 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Thank you so much for sharing at Whimsy Wednesdays!

 
At April 2, 2012 at 5:20 AM , Blogger Simply Tasheena said...

Thank You so much for stopping by " Show Me What You Got Tuesday's at www.ourdelightfulhome.blogspot.com

Mrs. Delightful
www.ourdelightfulhome.blogspot.com

 
At April 4, 2012 at 7:20 AM , Blogger Trish - Mom On Timeout said...

You're just a genius! Love these! You're being featured tonight at Mom On Timeout! Thanks for sharing!

 

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment! Reading your comments is better than eating pie...and if you know me that's saying a lot. :)

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home