11 March 2012

Baileys Pudding Shots


I want to get something out there; something I've been thinking about for awhile. And I hope you other bloggers will back me up; and we can stand united holding hands, eating brownies, and singing Cumbaya.

Blogging  is my work. I think of it as a job. A job I love more than any other job I've ever had, besides being a mom, which kinda goes without saying.

I do not think of blogging as a hobby. I get a check (albeit a super small one for pennies on the hour) every month. Therefore, blogging is my job.

I say this because I often think that many people do not think like I do. They look at me, see a SAHM and that's it. I'm the one who is always at school, always chanting the PTC mantra and picking up an extra kid or two when asked.

But I do have a job, even though it pays for crap and is super flexible. It's called blogger.

I spend 4-5+ hours a day on my computer writing, reading, commenting, editing, and researching. Much like people in an office. If I'm not on my computer, I'm often in the kitchen baking or photographing.

I regularly spend 30 minutes in the baking and candy aisles at Target, staring so intently at the orange fruit snack slices that passerby give me odd looks. I call this brainstorming, I just don't use a white board in a conference room.

Last week I spent $16 on six different kinds of Easter candy without batting an eye. (I just throw it up there with my weight watchers meals and milk and chuckle at the irony.) These are otherwise known as "office supplies."

Is my job going to pay the bills? No, at least not right now. Is it going to make me rich? No.

Could my job one day parlay into an actual bill-paying gig? I hope so. I have no idea how. (Hint, big publishers that read me (hahahaha), freelancing and/or a cookbook deal would be awesome thankyouverymuch.)

Until then, I'll be happy with the perks I get with my job.

Like getting to drink Bailey's at 1:00 in the afternoon. (Because that's when the light is good.)


St. Patrick's Day is on Saturday. I'm not Irish, not that I know of anyway. But I'll jump at any chances to wear green, bake green, pinch my husband, and drink Baileys without guilt (because that's a rule on St. Patrick's Day. Duh.)

So I made these pudding shots for myself. (I say for myself because my husband doesn't drink and I would probably get arrested if I served it to Jordan.) Pudding, milk, and Baileys.

And, in keeping with the green and mint theme, I crushed some Thin Mints and mixed them with green sanding sugar for the rims of the shot glasses.

If you happen to not be a drinker or are a child under the age of 21, you can make these without alcohol. Just leave out the Baileys and add double the milk and a dash of peppermint extract. I won't judge you. I'll admire how you get through life without a glass of wine, but I won't judge.

{The non-alcoholic version is Jordan-approved, by the way. If you want to listen to someone who won't eat pasta and doesn't like whipped cream.}


Drinking at 1:00. Gosh, the things I have put up with in this gig astound me.

Baileys Pudding Shots

by Crazy for Crust
Keywords: beverage Baileys
Ingredients (Makes three 2 ounce shots)
  • 1/2 cup prepared chocolate pudding (either from a prepared mix or your favorite recipe or a single serving pack)
  • 2 tablespoons milk
  • 2 tablespoons Baileys Irish Cream
  • 1 Thin Mint cookie and/or green sanding sugar, for garnish
Instructions
  1. Place Thin Mint into a zipper sandwich bag, leaving one inch unsealed. Crush with a rolling pin. Mix cookie with green sanding sugar in a small bowl. Add a little water to a separate bowl. Dip each shot glass upside down in the water then in the crushed cookies and sprinkles.
  2. Place pudding, milk, and Baileys in a two cup measuring cup. Whisk until combined. Pour into shot glasses.
  3. Non-Alcoholic version: omit Baileys and double the milk (use 4 tablespoons). Add a drop of peppermint extract to make it minty.
Powered by Recipage





Have a Linky Party you want me to join? Add it HERE.
These are the fabulous parties I link to each week:
MondayMingle Monday (Add a Pinch), Joy of DessertsCreative Monday (Clairejustineoxox), Mix it Up Monday (Flour Me With Love), Things that make you say mmmm Monday (Cooking with Karyn), Mop it Up Mondays (I should be mopping the floors), Show me what you got (Our Delightful Home), Share a Recipe Monday (Couponing 'n Cooking). Tuesday2 Maids a Baking (2 Maids a Milking), Tea Party Tuesdays (Sweetology), Mushki Loves My Stuff (Mushki Loves), Totally Tasty Tuesdays (Mandy's Recipe Box), Talent Show Tuesday (Chef in Training), Trick or Treat Tuesday (Inside BruCrew Life), Let's Do Brunch (My Sweet & Savory), Love on High HeatWednesdayMrs. Fox's Sweet Party (Mrs. Fox's Sweets), Cast Party Wednesday (Lady Behind the Curtain), Famous Linkz Par-tay (Made-Famous-By), Bakes with Bizzy (Bizzy Bakes), From Dream to Reality (DIY Dreamer), Whip it Up Wednesday (Crockpot Ladies), Whimsy Wednesday (The NY Melrose Family).  ThursdaySweet Treats Thursday (Something Swanky), Chic-and-Crafty (Frugal Girls), Turning the Table Thursdays (Around My Family Table), Tasty Thursday (The How-To Mommy), Tastetastic Thursday (A little nosh), Sweet Temptations (Talking Dollars and Cents), Taking a Timeout Thursday (Mom on Timeout), Things I've Done Thursday (BearRabbitBear), (RHW Recipe Round-Up) The Real Housewives of Riverton, BFF Open House (The Answer is Chocolate), Recipe Round Up (Eat, Pray, Read, Love). FridaySweet Tooth Friday (Alli-n-son), I'm Lovin' it Fridays (TidyMom), Friday Favorites (Simply Sweet Home), Latest & Greatest Friday (Days of Chalk and Chocolate), Bacon Time, Fusion Friday (Jane Deere Blog), Foodie Friday (Not Your Ordinary Recipes), Dwell on JoyFun Finds Friday (Kitchen Fun with my 3 Sons), Sugar and Spice, Friday Food Fight (Run DMT), Fabulous Friday (My Crowded Kitchen). SaturdayCountry Mom CooksSweets for a Saturday (Sweet as Sugar Cookies), Seasonal Inspiration (Crumbs and Chaos), You inspire me (Polka Dot Pretties). SundayA Well-Seasoned Life,Sharing Sundays (Everyday Sisters), Strut your Stuff Saturday (Six Sisters' Stuff), Recipe Party (The Sweet Spot), Seasonal/Occasional Linkys: Moms Crazy CookingSouthern Mom CooksCheap Crafty MommaSusie QTSpringtime Holiday Link Party (Michelle Paige)

Labels: , ,

32 Comments:

At March 11, 2012 at 6:24 PM , Blogger MsFoxsSweets said...

This looks fabulous! YUM!

 
At March 11, 2012 at 6:41 PM , Blogger Robin @ Bird On A Cake said...

OK, I'm totally singing Cumbaya with you...
I love what you had to say about blogging in this post. I have only been doing it for 5 months, but it has started to feel like my job now. And it's great!! I still get to be a SAHM and do what I love - bake! But it does take a lot of time and I haven't seen a paycheck yet. Someday!

 
At March 11, 2012 at 6:48 PM , Blogger Heather{Our Life In a Click} said...

Wow that sounds soooo yummy!!!

 
At March 11, 2012 at 7:07 PM , Blogger Jess said...

Oooh, yum. I adore Bailey's. So much. I'm absolutely going to be making these.

 
At March 11, 2012 at 7:14 PM , Blogger Ashley @ Kitchen Meets Girl said...

Yep, I'll take two of these, please! And I LOVE the Thin Mints around the rim!

 
At March 11, 2012 at 7:32 PM , Blogger Keri said...

I could not agree with you more in stating that blogging is a job. I started mine a few months back and never thought it took so much time and work to take off. I don't really know what I expected it to do without putting a lot of work into it but boy am I sure glad that I do put work into it and share it with lots of folks! Granted I have a lot more work to do but for now it is suiting me just fine. :)

 
At March 11, 2012 at 7:51 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

I thought it would be good that the recipe made 3. That way I get enough. :) Thanks for your comment!

 
At March 11, 2012 at 7:52 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

I know what you mean! It's amazing how much time I spend. But it's worth it because I love it so much. :) Thanks so much for your comment!

 
At March 11, 2012 at 9:19 PM , Blogger Kristin said...

I don't even give it a second thought these days as I toss completely (seemingly) random items into my shopping cart because I need them for "the blog". What can I say, blogging gives me fulfillment. One of my IRL friends didn't understand why I "needed" so many packages of Oreos last week. She definitely thought I was insane.
I see so many recipes with Bailey's. I've got to go get some!

 
At March 11, 2012 at 9:44 PM , Blogger Devi McDonald @ Diddles and Dumplings said...

This sounds AMAZING! I love anything with "Baileys" in the name! Yum.

Thanks so much for visiting my blog! I'm your newest follower! :)

Devi
http://diddlesanddumplings.blogspot.com

 
At March 12, 2012 at 4:41 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

I know how you feel, I work a full time and a part time job and blog. I love to blog but there is just no money in it as of yet. I have yet to see a penny but have spent a lot of my extra spending money on it. I love it, I just wish I could be paid to do it full time. we should write a book and become famous and do nothing but blog and drink baileys for lunch.

 
At March 12, 2012 at 4:58 AM , Blogger The Three Little Piglets said...

I totally hear you! I don't think most people have the faintest idea how much time and effort goes into a blog - especially one with good pictures! Sometimes it;s frustrating, especially as you're building it up and trying to turn it into a business. But sometimes the treats and the food friends you meet along the way make it all worth it, peanut paycheck or not!

 
At March 12, 2012 at 6:36 AM , Blogger Julie said...

These sound amazing!

 
At March 12, 2012 at 6:50 AM , Blogger Michael said...

Oh my gosh, love love love the staring at the orange slices comment! And the tossing in $16 of Easter candy. It's like you are talking about my life! And pennies per hour, I hear ya! But so worth it to have bloggie friends! (which my family finds as a bizarre statement)!

 
At March 12, 2012 at 8:16 AM , Blogger Mandy Bird said...

Oh you crack me up! I say amen to it all. Isn't it funny how our kids and hubbies don't even bat an eye when we take pics of our food. My daughter even does it with her camera because I do. I love my blogging friends, which could be the best part of it all!

 
At March 12, 2012 at 12:18 PM , Blogger Winnie said...

Dorothy - it looks delicious
I must admit - I've never tasted Baileys Irish Cream, which make me more curious regarding these shots you've made

 
At March 12, 2012 at 3:04 PM , Blogger Hayley @ The Domestic Rebel said...

OMG. I need this! After Ashley's Midori Sour recommendation and now these Bailey's shots, I'm thankful I have blogger friends with excellent taste in alcoholic beverages and treats :) And I support you 100% with the blogging thing. I only wish I could net a paycheck--even a small one--for the amount of time and effort I put into it every day. You're the best!

 
At March 12, 2012 at 3:08 PM , Blogger Abby said...

Yum! What a cute way to serve Baileys...I could honestly even eat this as pudding haha

 
At March 12, 2012 at 6:12 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love it. ... it's 5 o'clock somewhere right? I know its 5 o'clock at our house a few times a day!

 
At March 12, 2012 at 8:29 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a sister-in-law who says the only liquor she will drink is Baileys on the rocks. I am so making these for her! Bad news ... I just ate the Thin Mints ... she will never miss them :) I do appreciate your entire post ... if I ever meet a big publisher, I'll send him your way.

P.S. I just made edible shot glasses ... is it OK to say great minds think alike?

 
At March 12, 2012 at 9:37 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just discovered your blog and I love it already! These are absolutely adorable...right down to the Thin Mint garnish. I'm a teacher by day, but think of my blog as a job too. I like to tell my husband that watching The Bachelor is just research...and therefore work and a Monday night necessity. I think he thinks I'm crazy sometimes too :) Here's to making something big out of it all!

 
At March 13, 2012 at 6:25 AM , Blogger Claire Justine said...

Sounds amazing,I love Bailey's :)

 
At March 14, 2012 at 7:27 AM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

Thanks! And welcome! :)

 
At March 14, 2012 at 7:28 AM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

You need to get signed up with Foodbuzz or Blogher. You'd totally get a check each month!! Thanks so much for your comment Hayley. :)

 
At March 14, 2012 at 7:29 AM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

Thanks so much. It's nice to know others feel the same way! The friendships are totally worth it. Thanks for reading!

 
At March 14, 2012 at 10:14 AM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

Seriously! Just grab a spoon. :) Thanks for reading!

 
At March 14, 2012 at 10:15 AM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

I love Baileys on the rocks. SO good. And edible shot glasses??? Can I be your best friend?

 
At March 14, 2012 at 10:16 AM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

Oh, it's so good. Pairs awesome with chocolate! Thanks for reading!

 
At March 14, 2012 at 9:40 PM , Blogger Debbie said...

These look SO good, Dorothy!! They will definitely be on the menu for St. Patrick's Day. I know it's supposed to be green everything on 3/17, but I would love a little pink thrown in! I began blogging 7 months ago and love every second of it. It's more work than I imagined, too, but I've never been happier! Learning so much along the way is icing on the cakes we bake. ;)
Debbie @ Life Is Sweets

 
At March 16, 2012 at 4:53 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

Thanks Debbie! I couldn't agree more. :) Happy St. Patrick's Day!

 
At March 18, 2012 at 5:10 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

The great thing about blogging is that you love it. I feel the same way! It's almost like an addiction to see what I can come up with next. I also love the way that I am inspired and educated by women from all over the country and I can create relationships with women who have no idea what I look like. Your baileys looks amazing, but I adore you for the work that you do for your love of blogging.

 
At March 21, 2012 at 9:30 AM , Blogger Trish - Mom On Timeout said...

Pinned! And I want one right now! Thanks so much for sharing at Mom On Timeout!

 

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment! Reading your comments is better than eating pie...and if you know me that's saying a lot. :)

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home