18 March 2012

Devil's Food Cake Batter Dip {Pie Crust Dippers}

{Well, that title is no surprise, now is it? You've been expecting it since yesterday afternoon, no? Blogger needs to create a pop-up "ARE YOU SURE???" to deal with people like me, obviously.}


When I was a kid, Santa came on Christmas. I put out cookies and milk that were gone in the morning. I was happy with that.

My daughter? Has an elf that requires daily movement. God forbid I forget to move France from place to place and have to either (a) try to distract my child into getting dressed so that I can almost kill myself running down the stairs to throw him to a new spot before she sees me or (b) make up some sort of elaborate story as to why he didn't move the night before, all while taking into account all the stories I've made up previously, lest there be a conflict.

On Easter when I was a kid, there was a short-lived 6am egg hunt culminating in a basket of goodies I always looked forward too.

Somehow, a few years ago, the Easter Bunny (stupidly) started the tradition of a treasure hunt to find the Easter basket, instead of a regular old egg hunt, which takes place immediately upon waking up, usually around 6am.

Guess what I get to do at 9pm on Easter Eve?

Then there is the tooth fairy. When I was a kid I left my tooth in a little envelope taped to my headboard and would wake to a quarter in its place.

When Jordan lost her first tooth, our tooth fairy left glitter all over the floor. GLITTER. And a note. And money. In fact, Jordan routinely asks what I think her tooth fairy is going to bring her whenever she loses a tooth. Apparently, forking over $5 for a disgusting little piece of DNA is not enough. Lots of her friends get gifts: movies, ornaments at Christmas, and other trinkets. So now I need to borrow money from her allowance to stuff under her pillow and buy her a gift.

And now we have leprechauns to deal with. We have to make traps, mess up the house, dye the toilet water green, leave footprints, and prepare green milk for cereal.

Unless we forget.

And then have to deal with the tears while we covertly remove the green food coloring from the baking cabinet and sneak it upstairs to the bathroom, where the bathroom glass can be filled with green water.

And then we can listen as our poor, neglected child recounts stories from her friends about what their leprechaun did to their house. Because ours forgot she existed. Obviously.

*Sigh*


At least I make her lots of treats to keep her happy.

You all read Ashton's blog, Something Swanky, right? Because if you don't, well...I'm not sure if we can be friends. Because she's awesome.

Anyway, if you do read her blog, you'll know she loves making dips. Cake batter dips, dips out of cookies, dips made from cookie dough. She's my long lost dessert sister, I know it.

Back in January, she posted Red Velvet Cake Batter Dip. Which was funny, because I was planning to make this dip the next week. So instead of trying to come up with a recipe as I went along, I decided to just use hers. Why mess with perfection?

Last week she made Blondie Batter Dip. In that post she mentioned needing to find new things to dip in all her dips. Well, Ashton, this is for you.


I made pie crust dippers for this Devil's Food version of the cake batter dip. I just cut out scalloped rounds of (refrigerated) pie crust, brushed them with melted butter, and sprinkled them with sugar before baking.

Then I dipped away.


And it was awesome.




Devil's Food Cake Batter Dip {with Pie Crust Dippers}

by Crazy for Crust
Dip slightly adapted from Something Swanky
Keywords: cake batter crust dip
Ingredients
    For the dip
    • 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
    • ½ cup butter, softened
    • 2 cups Devil’s Food Cake Batter (the mix)
    • 4-6 Tablespoons milk, depending on desired consistency
    • 2 cups powdered sugar
    For the dippers
    • 1 refrigerated pie crust, from a pack of 2
    • 1 tablespoon melted butter
    • Sugar, for sprinkling
    Instructions
    For the dip
    1. Beat cream cheese and butter until fluffy. Add cake batter and 3 tablespoons of milk and mix until well combined.
    2. Slowly add 2 cups of powdered sugar, mixing well. Add an additional 2-4 tablespoons of milk, depending on how thick you want your dip. Taste and add more powdered sugar if you want it sweeter (if you add more sugar, you may need more milk.)

    For the dippers
    1. Unroll pie crust and cut out desired shapes. Re-roll once or twice as needed. Place cutouts on a parchment lined baking sheet. Brush with melted butter and sprinkle with a pinch of sugar.
    2. Bake 350° for 5-7 minutes until golden. Cool completely and use for dipping. (Makes 3 dozen.)

    Note: You can also use fruit, graham cracker sticks, or a spoon for serving.

    Powered by Recipage






    Have a Linky Party you want me to join? Add it HERE.
    These are the fabulous parties I link to each week:
    MondayMingle Monday (Add a Pinch), Creative Monday (Clairejustineoxox), Mix it Up Monday (Flour Me With Love), Things that make you say mmmm Monday (Cooking with Karyn), Mop it Up Mondays (I should be mopping the floors), Show me what you got (Our Delightful Home), Share a Recipe Monday (Couponing 'n Cooking). Tuesday2 Maids a Baking (2 Maids a Milking), Tea Party Tuesdays (Sweetology), Totally Tasty Tuesdays (Mandy's Recipe Box), Talent Show Tuesday (Chef in Training), Trick or Treat Tuesday (Inside BruCrew Life), Let's Do Brunch (My Sweet & Savory), Love on High HeatWednesdayMrs. Fox's Sweet Party (Mrs. Fox's Sweets), Cast Party Wednesday (Lady Behind the Curtain), Famous Linkz Par-tay (Made-Famous-By), Bakes with Bizzy (Bizzy Bakes), From Dream to Reality (DIY Dreamer), Whip it Up Wednesday (Crockpot Ladies), Whimsy Wednesday (The NY Melrose Family).  ThursdaySweet Treats Thursday (Something Swanky), Chic-and-Crafty (Frugal Girls), Turning the Table Thursdays (Around My Family Table), Tasty Thursday (The How-To Mommy), Tastetastic Thursday (A little nosh), Sweet Temptations (Talking Dollars and Cents), Taking a Timeout Thursday (Mom on Timeout), Things I've Done Thursday (BearRabbitBear), (RHW Recipe Round-Up) The Real Housewives of Riverton, BFF Open House (The Answer is Chocolate), Recipe Round Up (Eat, Pray, Read, Love). FridaySweet Tooth Friday (Alli-n-son), I'm Lovin' it Fridays (TidyMom), Friday Favorites (Simply Sweet Home), Latest & Greatest Friday (Days of Chalk and Chocolate), Bacon Time, Fusion Friday (Jane Deere Blog), Foodie Friday (Not Your Ordinary Recipes), Dwell on JoyFun Finds Friday (Kitchen Fun with my 3 Sons), Sugar and SpiceFriday Food Fight (Run DMT), Fabulous Friday (My Crowded Kitchen). SaturdayCountry Mom CooksSweets for a Saturday (Sweet as Sugar Cookies), Seasonal Inspiration (Crumbs and Chaos), You inspire me (Polka Dot Pretties). SundayA Well-Seasoned Life,Sharing Sundays (Everyday Sisters), Strut your Stuff Saturday (Six Sisters' Stuff), Recipe Party (The Sweet Spot), 

    Labels: , , ,

    55 Comments:

    At March 18, 2012 at 6:14 PM , Blogger Jenn said...

    This sounds amazing - great idea with the pie crust dippers!

     
    At March 18, 2012 at 6:25 PM , Blogger Susan-The Weekly Sweet Experiment said...

    Lol- when I saw the title the other day I was eagerly awaiting! It looks delicious. I can't wait to try it.

     
    At March 18, 2012 at 6:27 PM , Blogger Susan-The Weekly Sweet Experiment said...

    And my son's preschool teacher told him a leprechaun would visit- what?? I had never heard of that. I had something for him if he asked, but he didn't. So I am hoping I got away with it!! Nat least until he goes back to school. :)

     
    At March 18, 2012 at 6:47 PM , Blogger Karyn said...

    Yumm-o! I usually don't like crust (so sorry) but I think that dip would definitely help!
    I hear ya about all of the holiday stuff, but I just know that I'll cry when she tell's me that she is too old for her Elf on the Shelf.

     
    At March 18, 2012 at 6:48 PM , Blogger Ellen @ BakeItWithBooze said...

    I have no idea how you come up with these amazing ideas...Really, I'm speechless right now...And, your nails look great!! ;)

     
    At March 18, 2012 at 6:56 PM , Blogger Sada said...

    Wow, this looks delish!

     
    At March 18, 2012 at 7:18 PM , Blogger Veronica LaChance said...

    you're killing me smalls! Lol this looks amazing!! And super diet friendly :)

     
    At March 18, 2012 at 8:19 PM , Blogger Kristin said...

    Some parents set the bar awfully high. If only kids didn't compare notes :)...
    I love the idea of dipping "crust". Sounds yummy!

     
    At March 18, 2012 at 8:47 PM , Blogger Hayley @ The Domestic Rebel said...

    Haha Ellen and her nails comment :) this looks amazing. And now that I know where you live, you probably will want to make up stories about how your house is secretly haunted so I don't start showing up and raiding your fridge.
    PS, blame the teachers for these crazy fairy stories.
    PPS, I want small pie crust crackers!!

     
    At March 18, 2012 at 9:50 PM , Blogger Sara said...

    pie crust dippers....brilliant!

     
    At March 19, 2012 at 4:23 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

    ok firstly, I am so glad I had no idea what a Christmas elf even was until my son was older, and I never even knew that the leprechaun was supposed to visit. So glad I slacked off early in his life, makes it way easier now;p And I love the idea of using pie crust for cookies, so going to try that! Great idea.

     
    At March 19, 2012 at 4:39 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    This post had me laughing out loud....the things we do for the kiddos...

     
    At March 19, 2012 at 4:53 AM , Blogger Nicky @ Pink Recipe Box said...

    Sounds like you certainly get your hands full! I bet what sounded like many great ideas to begin with just doesn't ring the same bell any more. But anyway - this devil's food cake batter dip sounds great! And I love your addition of pie crust 'cookies' to dip in!

    Following and pinned!

     
    At March 19, 2012 at 6:40 AM , Blogger keatseatsblog said...

    oh my gosh. PIE CRUST DIPPERS. Pie crust dippers. OF COURSE!!!

    well. I'm super excited to use this idea!!!!!!

    And I love your stories. Lol. I just know I'm going to be like that...

     
    At March 19, 2012 at 7:16 AM , Blogger Elizabeth said...

    Pie crust biscuits and devils food cake batter DIP? How much better could you get!

     
    At March 19, 2012 at 8:36 AM , Blogger Mrsblocko said...

    This dip looks awesome!!!

    $5 from the tooth fairy? Yikes. Tooth fairy at our house only brings a quarter.

     
    At March 19, 2012 at 10:03 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

    How you come up with your treat ideas is amazing. I'm struggling this week with inspiration. I love using pie crust for treats. We roll the extra dough from pies with cinnamon sugar and roll up and bake, they are awesome! Pet de Soeur pastry! It's a Canadian thing!

     
    At March 19, 2012 at 10:35 AM , Blogger Angi said...

    So...if I eat these while drinking a Coke Zero that will cancel out all the calories right? (please say yes, please say yes).

    This looks so incredibly over the top DELISH!

     
    At March 19, 2012 at 11:58 AM , Blogger Ashley @ Kitchen Meets Girl said...

    Yeah, I did the Easter basket treasure hunt last year, and now I'm wondering what I'm going to do this year. I mean, there are only so many rhymes and hiding places I can make up. And really, when I was a kid, it was just finding a few eggs in the backyard and getting a chocolate bunny--I know I go overboard, but I can't help it.

    And the idea for pie crusts as dippers?!?! Genius. Pure genius.

     
    At March 19, 2012 at 12:24 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    i'm going nuts over these pie crust dippers! absolutely LOVE that idea. oh and the dip is obviously drool-worthy :)

     
    At March 19, 2012 at 1:33 PM , Blogger Mich said...

    did I miss something...am I supposed to make up the batter as on the box then add it to the rest of the ingredients, or just add the dry mix to the other ingredients...? Just want to make sure.

     
    At March 19, 2012 at 1:35 PM , Blogger Erin said...

    OH MY GAWD!!!! I about wanted to lick the computer screen! Looks amazing and I love that you made the pie crust dippers. I'm not sure what I'm more excited to make - the dip or the dippers???!!! You are so funny about all the holidays! We do the Elf too and one morning Zackary was in the same place. Holy heck was that an ordeal. My kids were convinced someone touched him and he lost his magic. =o)

     
    At March 19, 2012 at 3:07 PM , Blogger Claire Justine said...

    Sounds amazing I need some now.... :) Thanks for joining us at Creative Mondays :)

     
    At March 19, 2012 at 4:56 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

    LOL your post made me giggle. Seems like we bend over backwards these days to please our kiddos.

    What a fantastic idea of the pie crusts with the dip.. nom nom.

     
    At March 19, 2012 at 6:28 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

    Just the dry mix - the powder. Not the batter. It's kinda there just to add the flavor, and has the added bonus of being egg-free so there is no death involved. :) Enjoy!

     
    At March 19, 2012 at 6:29 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

    Thank you! I crushed on those pretty hard. (Read: I ate way too many!) Have a great night.

     
    At March 19, 2012 at 6:31 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

    Thanks Ashley! Seriously, I know what you mean about the Easter thing. How many places can stuff go?? But, going overboard is the fun part. In the long run, anyway. :)

     
    At March 19, 2012 at 6:33 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

    You're preaching to the choir here Karen! Pie crust treats are awesome. As for my ideas...a lot of time they come to me from no where, or I start with a theme and run with it. I have a lot of trouble turning off my head. LOL!

     
    At March 19, 2012 at 6:34 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

    Okay, I want to come live with you. She compares with her friends and it's annoying. Last time I gave her $3 and she was like, "um, did she forget the rest??" LOL! Thanks for your comment!

     
    At March 19, 2012 at 6:34 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

    Honestly? In my world? Not much. LOL! Thanks so much for reading!

     
    At March 19, 2012 at 6:39 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

    That's for sure! Hey, I've got an idea. Let's make the elf write a note and become a pen pal!! (Hint: don't do that.) Thank you so much!

     
    At March 19, 2012 at 6:41 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

    I know, huh? Thanks so much for reading!

     
    At March 19, 2012 at 6:41 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

    Thanks Sue! I think a lot of that stuff has started recently. I love doing it...after it's done. :)

     
    At March 19, 2012 at 6:43 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

    LOL Hayley! You are welcome to raid my candy cabinet any time. My fridge is boring. Fruits and veggies. Blah.

     
    At March 19, 2012 at 6:44 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

    Definitely diet friendly. For sure. I bet it's like, only 2 weight watchers points (for a lick, anyway). :) Thanks for reading!

     
    At March 19, 2012 at 6:45 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

    LOL, thanks Ellen. You're funny!

     
    At March 19, 2012 at 9:29 PM , Blogger Bobbie said...

    Can a girl say "NOM"! :) awesome idea!

     
    At March 20, 2012 at 9:03 AM , Blogger Sue said...

    SPEECHLESS(in a GOOD way)!!!

     
    At March 20, 2012 at 4:11 PM , Blogger Christine said...

    Oh my.... YUMMY!!!!!!!! This looks CRAZY good!!!!!!!

    Thanks for sharing this at The DIY Dreamer... From Dream To Reality!!

     
    At March 21, 2012 at 6:35 AM , Blogger Lisa @ Flour Me With Love said...

    This looks delicious Dorothy! Thanks so much for sharing at Mix it up Monday :)

     
    At March 21, 2012 at 12:56 PM , Blogger MrsJenB said...

    The pie crust crackers really put this one over the top. Seriously. Amazing!

     
    At March 22, 2012 at 5:27 AM , Blogger out of the frame said...

    wow! looks amazing

     
    At March 23, 2012 at 6:52 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

    Honestly, you always have me in stitches. It's amazing the things we do for our kids. This sounds amazing! Thanks so much for sharing at Whimsy Wednesdays!

     
    At March 24, 2012 at 8:03 AM , Blogger Lisa said...

    Just when I think Ive seen it all. This looks awsome! Thanks for sharing.

     
    At March 25, 2012 at 6:38 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

    Oh my goodness. How has this thought never even occurred to me? Well, so glad you had the idea! I may make this for Easter.
    Please share this at my link up: http://www.eatprayreadlove.com/2012/03/recipe-roundup-little-spice-in-your.html
    This is too good not to share!

     
    At March 25, 2012 at 5:13 PM , Blogger Sugarr2518 said...

    This sounds sooo yummy! I think this could definitely get me into some trouble though! I am pinning this and trying it later:) Thanks for sharing your recipe!

     
    At March 26, 2012 at 7:49 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

    I hope you enjoy it! It's yummy, rich, indulgent... :) Thanks for reading!

     
    At March 28, 2012 at 1:08 PM , Blogger Trish - Mom On Timeout said...

    I have been meaning to try these cake batter dips! Yours looks so yummy and I love the dippers :) Thanks so much for sharing at Mom On Timeout!

     
    At March 29, 2012 at 12:49 PM , Blogger Sophie said...

    Oh my goodness gracious! That looks SO amazingly delicious! Thanks a million for linking up! :)

     
    At March 29, 2012 at 6:30 PM , Blogger amy and jesse hudson said...

    oh yum oh yum!

     
    At March 29, 2012 at 6:46 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

    Thanks for hosting!!

     
    At March 31, 2012 at 3:53 AM , Blogger Claire @ Gemini Nutrition said...

    Thank you for linking up this project...
    Would love you to stop by and link up another fabulous project!!!
    http://polkadot-pretties.blogspot.co.uk/2012/03/you-inspire-linky-party_31.html
    Claire xox

     
    At April 1, 2012 at 5:59 PM , Blogger cupsbykim said...

    You guys are too funny! Ashton's recipes are amazing, as are yours. I dare to compete with either, so I'll just use all of your recipes! Again, why mess with perfection! And trust me, I feel your pain on the elf antics. This was our first year for it, I had big plans, extravagant ideas. Yeah, I found myself every morning sending Aiden back into his room to grab something while I frantically (yet strategicaly) repositioned Fred. Oh the things we take on! I think he's okay with it though, I bake cupcakes :o)

     
    At April 20, 2012 at 5:54 AM , Blogger Beth said...

    OMG! You have me laughing so hard! I think you have a camera set up in MY house and you're just using my episodes of the "blissful" holiday scenes for your own blog ;) Although, I saved myself with the St. Patrick's Day and never even started that. My son used to complain that his one friend's family celebrated HALF -birthdays! WHAT?

    My daughter came home before Easter and said the kids on the bus told her there was no Easter bunny, that the parents just make him up and they give the baskets. She told them that wasn't true because parents can't afford all that stuff. ;) I told her that only the "naughty" kids have to get their baskets from the parents, because the Easter bunny is watching them like Santa Clause.

    And after all that....I'm definitely going to make this stuff! I bought a tiny little bag of a "dry mix" for the same thing and gave $5 for it! It had the same recipe basically. And the pie crust dippers are perfect!

     
    At August 27, 2012 at 5:29 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

    I love your blog. I just started to follow it so. I have a cooking blog called delightful delicious dinners so if you want to make a friendship circle or chat please follow delightful delicious dinners cause you are a baker that is amazing

     

    Post a Comment

    Thank you for your comment! Reading your comments is better than eating pie...and if you know me that's saying a lot. :)

    Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

    << Home