14 March 2012

Pot o' Gold Cupcakes


Wouldn't it be cool if there really was a pot of gold at the end of a rainbow? And you could hunt it down, like with geotracking or whatever it's called?

A pot of gold. I wonder how much it would be worth? I mean, gold must be worth tons these days. Otherwise why would all those people be having those parties where you rifle through your jewlery box and come away with money, like pirates or something?

If I had a pot of gold, I'd buy a new car. Or pay off my house. Or buy a unicorn.

Because a unicorn is way more stylish than a Jetta Sportwagon. In silver. Preferably with a sunroof. It's definitely way more stylish than a Toyota Hylander.

Anyway.

I never used to think leprechauns were real. I always just figured they were made up, the stuff of stories and legends. Then I started reading books like Twilight and Sookie Stackhouse. And I learned that not only do vampires exist (although there is some debate over whether they explode in the sunlight or that's just the glare from their sparkle) but so do werewolves. And dragons. And fairies.

And leprechauns.

So if leprechauns exist, then so must pots o' gold, right? I really need to find me a leprechaun who can give me his gold. But that would probably necessitate me to go out in nature. Hmmm...

Maybe I'll just buy a lotto ticket instead? Probably better odds.


I know pot o' gold cupcakes aren't new. They've been all over the place, and they are so super cute. But the other day I had some cupcakes. And I had some leftover green buttercream. So what's a girl to do?


I dipped the cupcakes in chocolate, tops and bottoms. You have to let them dry on one side before doing the other.

Then I made gold. My own gold. But it won't buy me a unicorn.


It will, however, buy me more time at the gym. I used gold color mist and Hershey's Cookies 'n Creme drops. You can use any sort of candy, like Trish did. And yes, it smells like spray paint. But it's edible!

Then I flipped the cupcake upside down, frosted it, and topped it with gold.


Way easier than winning the lotto. Or catching a leprechaun.


Pot o' Gold Cupcakes

by Crazy for Crust
Keywords: st. patrick's day cupcake
Ingredients
  • Cupcakes, baked and cooled with the liners removed
  • Chocolate candy melts or almond bark
  • Hershey's Cookies 'n Creme Drops or other similar sized white round candy
  • Wilton Color Mist in Gold, or other comparable spray
  • Buttercream frosting, your favorite recipe or from a can (I tinted mine a light green)
Instructions
  1. Melt chocolate according to package directions. I used about 1/2 cup for the two cupcakes. I also added some vegetable oil to thin the chocolate a bit.
  2. Dip the bottom half of the unwrapped cupcake in the chocolate, using a spoon to bring it all the way up the sides of the cupcake. Tap off excess chocolate and place cupcake on a wax paper lined cookie sheet. Let harden (chilling helps speed this step).
  3. Dip the top of the cupcake in the melted chocolate, again using the spoon to make sure it is completely covered, no cake showing. Place back on the cookie sheet and let harden.
  4. Place as many of the Hershey's Drops on a paper plate as you need. Spray with the gold spray and chill until set. Turn over and repeat, so the entire candy is covered.
  5. Turn the cupcake upside down, so the thinner part is on top. Frost with the buttercream (I used a 1M tip). Top with the gold coins.
  6. Fool your kids into thinking you really found gold!
Powered by Recipage


What would you do with a pot o' gold?





Have a Linky Party you want me to join? Add it HERE.
These are the fabulous parties I link to each week:
MondayMingle Monday (Add a Pinch), Joy of DessertsCreative Monday (Clairejustineoxox), Mix it Up Monday (Flour Me With Love), Things that make you say mmmm Monday (Cooking with Karyn), Mop it Up Mondays (I should be mopping the floors), Show me what you got (Our Delightful Home), Share a Recipe Monday (Couponing 'n Cooking). Tuesday2 Maids a Baking (2 Maids a Milking), Tea Party Tuesdays (Sweetology), Mushki Loves My Stuff (Mushki Loves), Totally Tasty Tuesdays (Mandy's Recipe Box), Talent Show Tuesday (Chef in Training), Trick or Treat Tuesday (Inside BruCrew Life), Let's Do Brunch (My Sweet & Savory), Love on High HeatWednesdayMrs. Fox's Sweet Party (Mrs. Fox's Sweets), Cast Party Wednesday (Lady Behind the Curtain), Famous Linkz Par-tay (Made-Famous-By), Bakes with Bizzy (Bizzy Bakes), From Dream to Reality (DIY Dreamer), Whip it Up Wednesday (Crockpot Ladies), Whimsy Wednesday (The NY Melrose Family).  ThursdaySweet Treats Thursday (Something Swanky), Chic-and-Crafty (Frugal Girls), Turning the Table Thursdays (Around My Family Table), Tasty Thursday (The How-To Mommy), Tastetastic Thursday (A little nosh), Sweet Temptations (Talking Dollars and Cents), Taking a Timeout Thursday (Mom on Timeout), Things I've Done Thursday (BearRabbitBear), (RHW Recipe Round-Up) The Real Housewives of Riverton, BFF Open House (The Answer is Chocolate), Recipe Round Up (Eat, Pray, Read, Love). FridaySweet Tooth Friday (Alli-n-son), I'm Lovin' it Fridays (TidyMom), Friday Favorites (Simply Sweet Home), Latest & Greatest Friday (Days of Chalk and Chocolate), Bacon Time, Fusion Friday (Jane Deere Blog), Foodie Friday (Not Your Ordinary Recipes), Dwell on JoyFun Finds Friday (Kitchen Fun with my 3 Sons), Sugar and SpiceFriday Food Fight (Run DMT), Fabulous Friday (My Crowded Kitchen). SaturdayCountry Mom CooksSweets for a Saturday (Sweet as Sugar Cookies), Seasonal Inspiration (Crumbs and Chaos), You inspire me (Polka Dot Pretties). SundayA Well-Seasoned Life,Sharing Sundays (Everyday Sisters), Strut your Stuff Saturday (Six Sisters' Stuff), Recipe Party (The Sweet Spot), Seasonal/Occasional Linkys: Moms Crazy CookingSouthern Mom CooksCheap Crafty MommaSusie QTSpringtime Holiday Link Party (Michelle Paige)

Labels: ,

40 Comments:

At March 14, 2012 at 7:00 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

I'd totally buy a unicorn! :)

 
At March 14, 2012 at 7:17 PM , Blogger The Three Little Piglets said...

That idea for the gold coins is SO clever! I love that. And I would totally just pay off my bills and go the Williams-Sonoma and buy to my heart's content!

 
At March 14, 2012 at 7:20 PM , Blogger Ashley @ Kitchen Meets Girl said...

Oh my goodness, these are totally cute! I love the idea for the gold coins! Man, if I had a pot o' gold, I'd quit work and spend my days at Sur La Table and Crate and Barrel.

 
At March 15, 2012 at 1:42 AM , Blogger Dulce fresa said...

Very creative! I love the idea for the gold coins!
Have a nice day..

 
At March 15, 2012 at 4:26 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

oh so cute, i saw some gold sprinkles on another blog and I was all over them, but did not want to pay for something like that. You are genius and now I will go to the craft store and buy spray colour, because i want to buy a unicorn with gold chocolate too;p

 
At March 15, 2012 at 4:51 AM , Blogger keatseatsblog said...

SO cute!

And, of course, I'm planning on posting Pot o' Gold cupcakes tomorrow.

But, is that really surprising?

 
At March 15, 2012 at 6:40 AM , Blogger Shannon said...

Those are such a great idea. I love the chocolate dipped cupcakes and the little gold "coins" :)

 
At March 15, 2012 at 7:14 AM , Blogger Mrsblocko said...

They make unicorns with sunroofs?! Sweet!

I totally am going to keep my eye out for that gold spray paint stuff you can eat. Super awesome.

And chocolate covered cupcakes...ngaaaa. I want one for breakfast!

 
At March 15, 2012 at 8:44 AM , Blogger Hayley @ The Domestic Rebel said...

You inverted a cupcake and dipped it in chocolate. Seriously?!?! If I had a freaking pot of gold, I'd use it to buy some of that creativity off of you cause WHY DIDN'T I THINK OF THAT?! So adorable. Love the coated candies!!

 
At March 15, 2012 at 9:36 AM , Blogger cupsbykim said...

Great idea. The cupcake I mean. Hunting down a leprechaun is a little difficult, I've tried, I'm a geocacher!

 
At March 15, 2012 at 11:04 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I haven't seen this cupcake before so you totally scooped me. LOVE IT! SO FUN! :)

 
At March 15, 2012 at 2:57 PM , Blogger beti said...

what a lovely idea! I can't wait to dip my cupcakes in chocolate, sounds fun and delicios

 
At March 15, 2012 at 5:04 PM , Blogger Dip It In Chocolate said...

I had no idea they made this spray in gold! Brilliant!! Love your pots of gold. I pretty much need to find me one of those!

 
At March 15, 2012 at 5:10 PM , Blogger Meg@MegaCrafty said...

So Cute! I love how you did the coins- great idea.

 
At March 15, 2012 at 6:00 PM , Blogger Mimi said...

Way too cute!
Mimi

 
At March 15, 2012 at 6:03 PM , Blogger Kristin said...

Last week, we wrote stories about leprechauns in school. I told the kids, "I'm going to tell you how to spell leprechaun because I know you'll ask, so write it down at the top of your paper. L-e-p-r-e-c-h-a-u-n." When I read their stories?? Every kid had leprechaun spelled correctly at the top of the page...and 90% of them spelled it wrong in the story below. *sigh*

Spray painting candy?? What will you think of next? :)

 
At March 15, 2012 at 6:28 PM , Blogger Susan-The Weekly Sweet Experiment said...

So cute and they look delicious!

 
At March 15, 2012 at 6:28 PM , Blogger Brandy K said...

Adorable! You did such a great job on these cupcakes...so clever and cute! My daughter's kindergarten class baited a Leprechaun trap with "gold" coins just before Spring Break. It will be very interesting to see what they caught! Super, super cute St. Patrick's Day treats!

 
At March 15, 2012 at 8:20 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

YOU ROCK!!!!! I dream of winning a real pot of gold someday and quitting my day job but these would settle for a decent runner up! Fun (and thanks for the link, how nice of you...) Take care.

 
At March 16, 2012 at 5:14 AM , Blogger Sugar Swings said...

i love the edible spray paint! and good luck finding the gold! :)

 
At March 16, 2012 at 6:25 AM , Blogger Sweet Twist - Meg said...

Such a cute idea!!

 
At March 16, 2012 at 8:29 AM , Blogger Melanie @ bear rabbit bear said...

What a nice twist on a regular cupcake! Thanks for sharing at Things I've Done Thursday. www.bearrabbitbear.com

 
At March 16, 2012 at 9:20 AM , Blogger Run DMT said...

What the...? Ok these are totally new to me. Where have these cute little buggers behinding that I'm just now learning how to make posts of gold. You are just oo clever, girl! That is one golden idea. (I couldn't resist the pun.)

My Friday Food Fight link is up. Come on over and link up a wee bit of your gold.

 
At March 16, 2012 at 9:42 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

You are full of great ideas, these are exceptionally cute!
I hope your St. Pat's weekend is great!

 
At March 16, 2012 at 4:55 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

LOL! :)

 
At March 16, 2012 at 4:55 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

Oh, that sounds fun. I love a good shopping spree! Thanks for your comment!

 
At March 16, 2012 at 4:56 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

Me too! I could spend an entire pot of gold in those stores. :)

 
At March 16, 2012 at 4:56 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

Thank you! :) You too.

 
At March 16, 2012 at 4:56 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

A unicorn would be such a great thing to have - it has a built in accessory holder! :) Thanks so much Sue!

 
At March 16, 2012 at 4:57 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

Thank you! :)

 
At March 16, 2012 at 4:57 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

Totally - gotta have a lid on that sucker in case it rains. Wouldn't want the princesses to get wet. ;) I got the gold spray at Michaels, but I've also seen it at Joann's and Walmart! Thanks so much!

 
At March 16, 2012 at 4:58 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

LOL! You make me smile Hayley. Thank you!

 
At March 16, 2012 at 4:58 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

Thank you so much! Have a great weekend!

 
At March 16, 2012 at 4:59 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

Very fun and oh-so delicious! :)

 
At March 16, 2012 at 4:59 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

It's great stuff! I found it at Michaels and have seen it at Joann's and Walmart too! :)

 
At March 16, 2012 at 5:01 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

Thank you! Kindergarten was such a fun leprechaun year. My daughter just built him a house to see if he'd show up tomorrow. We'll see how tired "he" is tonight!

 
At March 16, 2012 at 5:02 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

Thanks Trish! I think you rock because all your stuff is so awesome! Have a great weekend. :)

 
At March 17, 2012 at 2:37 PM , Blogger AudreyN said...

These are cute! And can I ride your unicorn?!

 
At March 18, 2012 at 8:20 AM , Blogger Sue said...

I need to get some of that spray paint and make my own gold! Perfect St. Paddy's Day treat!

 
At March 21, 2012 at 9:32 AM , Blogger Trish - Mom On Timeout said...

Yeah, you guessed it. Pinned! Thanks for sharing!

 

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment! Reading your comments is better than eating pie...and if you know me that's saying a lot. :)

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home