20 March 2012

Funfetti Donuts with Chocolate Glaze


I love Andy Cohen.

I mean, who wouldn't? The man's a genius. When he first started hosting reunion shows on Bravo I thought it was a little strange. Who was this guy? He was all over the place. What, did he own Bravo or something?

And then I found out he kinda does.

He's the man behind all my favorite shows (read: any season of The Real Housewives). He's in charge on development and talent. (Talent, ha.) He hosts the reunions and it's hilarious to watch him work over the ladies and almost get beat up by Teresa Guidice.

And he hosts this little talk show called Watch What Happens: Live. Have you seen it? Oh my goodness, you have to watch it.

Usually he has Bravo stars on; he'll have a housewife or two on after one of the shows and they'll talk about what happened that night.

Did you see last week, when Vicki was on? And he brought out Miss Piggy? Hil-ar-ious. She was a good sport, but you could totally tell that Andy was scared. Like, he thought she was gonna go all 80s night on him or something.

And then there was Martha Stewart. Martha Stewart did Watch What Happens: Live. And she got tipsy. On live TV.  Only Andy Cohen could achieve that.

I've started DVRing that show, especially after the episodes of TRH or Bethanny. Because I want all the dirt. It's so great. You have to join me in losing brain cells each week. Come on, you know you want too.


Andy Cohen is something I like. Something I don't like? That Krispy Kreme moved into my area.

Now, I have nothing against Krispy Kreme. I'm sure they taste good. I wouldn't know, I can't remember the last time I ate one. (I'm a Royal Doughnuts girl, Bay Area peeps, what up?)

My problem is that the second they moved into town, all the kids at school were like, required to bring them for their birthday snack. Only one kid in Jordan's class didn't. He brought brownies for God's sake. (And if you'd heard her say it you would've thought be brought brussel sprout cupcakes covered in liver frosting.)

But, there was no way I was going to schlep myself all the way to Krispy Kreme before school and pay a gazillion dollars for donuts. Not when I can make them myself.


Let me give you five words of advice if you decide to make 30 baked funfetti donuts for a group: buy more than one pan.

Hint: I didn't.


A few more words of advice? Use this glaze. It should be, like, required.

{And, apparently, should my use of the word like. What am I, a valley girl now? Like, ohmigosh!}


And use extra sprinkles. Sprinkles make everything better. And? The kids won't know they aren't from that other place.


I promise.




Funfetti Donuts with Chocolate Glaze

by Crazy for Crust
(Donut recipe from Cookies & Cups, Glaze recipe from Joy the Baker)

Ingredients (12 donuts)
    For the Donuts
    • 2 ¾ cups Classic Yellow Cake Mix
    • ¼ cup rainbow sprinkles
    • ¾ cup buttermilk (or mix 2 teaspoons white vinegar + enough milk to make ¾ cup and let sit 5 minutes before using)
    • 2 eggs
    • 2 tablespoons melted butter
    For the Glaze
    • 1 ½ cups powdered sugar
    • 4 tablespoons cocoa powder
    • 2 teaspoons vanilla
    • 3 tablespoons milk, plus more if needed
    • Sprinkles or other garnish, if desired
    Instructions
    1. Preheat oven to 425°. Spray your donut pan with cooking spray (be sure to spray the inside circle too!)
    2. Mix cake mix, sprinkles, buttermilk or milk/vinegar, eggs, and melted butter in large bowl using a hand mixer on medium speed. Mix until completely combined, about two minutes.
    3. Add the batter to a large Ziploc bag. Seal the bag almost all the way, leaving about 1” open to allow air to escape. Snip one corner of the bag off and fill each cavity in your pan about 2/3 full.
    4. Bake 7 minutes, until slightly browned. Let sit in the pan for 5 minutes before removing. Let cool.
    5. To make the glaze: Mix all ingredients in a medium bowl. If glaze is too thick for dipping, add a little more milk. Dip each donut in the glaze and place on top of a cooling rack placed on top of a cookie sheet so it can drip. Top with sprinkles.
    Powered by Recipage




    Have a Linky Party you want me to join? Add it HERE.
    I link up to all of these fabulous parties each week!
    Tea Party Tuesdays at Sweetology, Talent Show Tuesday at Chef in TrainingTrick or Treat Tuesday at Inside BruCrew Life, Cast Party Wednesday at Lady Behind the Curtain, Sweet Treats Thursday at Something Swanky, Chic-and-Crafty at the Frugal Girls, Tastetastic Thursday at A Little Nosh, Sweet Tooth Friday at Alli-n-sons, I'm Lovin' it Fridays at TidyMom, Sweets for a Saturday at Sweet as Sugar Cookies, A Well-Seasoned LifeStrut your Stuff Saturday at Six Sisters' Stuff, and all of these too!

    Labels: ,

    41 Comments:

    At March 20, 2012 at 6:35 PM , Blogger Carrie B said...

    Holy cow these look good and super fun. My kids love anything funfetti!! I really need a donut pan. It's rather pathetic I haven't purchased one yet!

     
    At March 20, 2012 at 6:45 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

    I just love anything donut!!

     
    At March 20, 2012 at 7:04 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I've never had Funfetti Cake... like ever... I'm slightly jealous of that doughnut. I've ever only had Krispy Kreme once too... ! I am sure missing out! Those look amazing!

     
    At March 20, 2012 at 7:08 PM , Blogger Robin @ Bird On A Cake said...

    Yep, I need a donut pan too. These sound easy and delicious!

     
    At March 20, 2012 at 7:17 PM , Blogger Jocelyn said...

    Sprinkles make all kids happy. It is l"ike" a magic cure for anything!!! Yikes I can't imagine making 30 donuts at a time...I get tired of it after 12:-)

     
    At March 20, 2012 at 8:01 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

    BTW, I have dibs on Andy

     
    At March 20, 2012 at 8:56 PM , Blogger Kristin said...

    Oh, the kids with the cupcakes...grrrr...I made it a personal rule years ago (errr...4 years ago) to not eat homemade treats. Sometimes my judgement lapses and, if I know the parents, I'll eat the treat. When they bring in the big, fancy, red dye #40-covered cupcakes from the grocery store? I usually lick the icing off once I take the kids to gym class and then throw the cake part away.
    I like the idea of using cake mix for donuts. It's a fun new twist on cupcakes!

     
    At March 20, 2012 at 8:57 PM , Blogger Debbie said...

    I find I don't have much time for TV anymore. I must be extremely selective with what I choose to DVR, what with all of the baking, cleaning, errands, and cooking for my Husband I have to do. This means I can only watch quality programming. So, my DVR is reserved ONLY for ALL Housewives shows and reunions (which I watch more than once just to make sure I've caught everything I missed through the screaming and arguing), Jeff Lewis, Tabitha, Bethany, Brad, Rachel, and I've even somehow gotten into those crazy Shahs of Beverly Hills. This week has been rough so far, as Andy is on vacation so no WWHL. Sigh. ;)

     
    At March 21, 2012 at 4:26 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    these are adorable Dorothy! so very pretty. i've never made donuts before but I LOVE that this is made from cake mix! looks so easy!

     
    At March 21, 2012 at 4:34 AM , Blogger Chandra said...

    Crazy for donuts over here! If only I had seen this after my wedding:D Will be trying soon after, though. Thanks for sharing this...enjoy your day!

    Chandra
    astylishlittlelady.blogspot.com

     
    At March 21, 2012 at 4:49 AM , Blogger Michael said...

    Yum Dorothy. Donuts are my language!

     
    At March 21, 2012 at 5:52 AM , Blogger keatseatsblog said...

    I love doughnuts. I have been dying for a doughnut pan!! I still don't own one :(

     
    At March 21, 2012 at 5:52 AM , Blogger keatseatsblog said...

    PS- let's brainstorm ways to turn pie into a doughnut....

     
    At March 21, 2012 at 6:27 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

    I remember when we got Kripsy Kream we were the first in ontario and the line ups were hours long. Now it is like one of the last ones, so funny. I to only have one pan, which is good, I would make like a million of these.

     
    At March 21, 2012 at 6:46 AM , Blogger Nicky @ Pink Recipe Box said...

    These look fantastic!
    I desperately need to buy a donut pan now!

     
    At March 21, 2012 at 6:47 AM , Blogger Hayley @ The Domestic Rebel said...

    Mmkay, when I made funfetti donuts, I literally ate THE WHOLE BATCH. Jessie had like, one bite of one and I polished them all. It was redonkulus. So I think the neighborly thing to do would be to give me one or five or some to taste test--quality control, you know--because I can only imagine how delish that chocolate glaze is. And I can only imagine for so long, Dorothy!!

     
    At March 21, 2012 at 7:30 AM , Blogger Stephanie said...

    ok, well, now I want donuts. I only have a ONE mini donut pan, and my first attempt at making a batch took like 9 years to finish! Must buy more pans ;)
    I am hosting a super fun $25 giveaway on my blog and I would love to have you stop by and enter http://the-still-waters.blogspot.com/2012/03/25-sneakpeeq-giveaway.html

     
    At March 21, 2012 at 7:59 AM , Blogger Addicted to Recipes said...

    Hi Dorothy! I am happy to tell you that I've nominated you for the Versatile Blogger Award! Please visit my blog for all the details!
    http://iamaddictedtorecipes.blogspot.ca/2012/03/versatile-blogger-award.html
    Have a great day!
    Addicted to Recipes

     
    At March 21, 2012 at 8:46 AM , Blogger Erin said...

    That's it. I'm buying a donut pan!

     
    At March 21, 2012 at 1:05 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

    Nope. I saw him first. LOL

     
    At March 21, 2012 at 1:06 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

    OMG you crack me up! At first I was like, whoa, I'm gonna get yelled at for my reality addiction and then you went my way. SO funny. I will stop and watch any season any time just to see how not to act. And thanks for cluing me in on why my Andy is not on TV this week. I was supersad!

     
    At March 21, 2012 at 1:07 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

    That makes it super easy. Well, except for the whole only makes 6 at a time thing... ;)

     
    At March 21, 2012 at 1:28 PM , Blogger Ellen @ BakeItWithBooze said...

    I live just down the street, too! :) After hearing about these on Sunday, I really want to try them...And, the purchase of a new baking pan? Hell, yes! :)

     
    At March 21, 2012 at 1:33 PM , Blogger LC said...

    I never make doughnuts but goodness, this makes me want to!

     
    At March 21, 2012 at 1:36 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

    I see what you mean - more pans = more donuts. :) Thanks for reading Sue!

     
    At March 21, 2012 at 1:36 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

    For sure! I love baked donuts. Thanks for reading!

     
    At March 21, 2012 at 1:37 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

    I will make sure to keep you both in mind next time I bake. Which, you know, will probably be tomorrow. Because when don't I bake??

     
    At March 21, 2012 at 1:39 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

    Well, then my work is done. Thanks Lisa!

     
    At March 21, 2012 at 4:56 PM , Blogger Jennifer {Mother Thyme} said...

    I love Andy Cohen and I am totally obsessed with RHOC. I was cracking up last week when they had Miss Piggy on when Vicki was there, to funny! These donuts looks amazing! I think I may need to break out my donut pan to whip these up! :)

     
    At March 21, 2012 at 5:50 PM , Blogger Dip It In Chocolate said...

    Oh no... not *brownies*!

    Kids are totally hilarious. I have no doubt your donuts blew Krispy Kremes' right out of the water. Ewww... Krispy Kreme.

     
    At March 22, 2012 at 1:23 PM , Blogger Melissa said...

    I laughed and laughed over your commentary. Too funny. Now, when you are in a fryin' mood you have got to make Pioneer Woman's donuts. They are to die for. No joke. Life changing food.

     
    At March 22, 2012 at 7:03 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

    I know, huh? When did a kid ever make faces at brownies, for goodness sakes? :) Thanks so much!

     
    At March 22, 2012 at 7:04 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

    I've never made them fried before; I have no doubt her's are life changing! I feel like if I bake them I can eat 6 and not feel too guilty...because I can never stop at one!

     
    At March 22, 2012 at 7:05 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

    Thank you so much Jennifer! Bravo should rule the world. Andy Cohen for President! :)

     
    At March 22, 2012 at 8:55 PM , Blogger Julie E said...

    I love Funfetti! I make myself funfetti cakes sometimes just for the fun of it. I'd love for you to come share at my linky party. :)

    http://whitelightsonwednesday.blogspot.com/2012/03/wednesday-whatsits-1-link-party.html

     
    At March 23, 2012 at 9:30 AM , Blogger Melanie @ bear rabbit bear said...

    Hahah! I'm losing brain cells with you each week. Andy is funny. I have to disagree with the Krispy Kreme thing though- I'm a NC girl, so Krispy Kreme all the way!! :) Thanks for sharing at Things I've Done Thursday!

     
    At March 23, 2012 at 6:31 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

    These look amazing! I'd take two right now if I could. Thank you so much for sharing at Whimsy Wednesdays!

     
    At March 25, 2012 at 7:49 AM , Blogger Julie said...

    I am inviting you to come and be part of my blog hop:
    http://juliejewels1.blogspot.com/2012/03/baked-chicken-salsa-show-your-stuff-16.html

     
    At March 26, 2012 at 6:16 AM , Blogger Winnie said...

    These donuts are amazing
    I think it's about time for me to buy this special pan

     
    At March 26, 2012 at 7:50 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

    Yes! You must. Such a great pan. :)

     
    At March 27, 2012 at 7:17 PM , Blogger Addicted to Recipes said...

    Oh yum...donuts! We don't have a Krispy Kreme where I live, but we do have Tim Horton's! I love donuts, though I reserve them as an occasional treat (like the DQ Blizzard, yum!) Anyways, I think your donuts look so good and I am tempted to go buy my own donut pan. My son would love these! And me too...of course! Thanks for sharing at Scrumptious Sunday!

     

    Post a Comment

    Thank you for your comment! Reading your comments is better than eating pie...and if you know me that's saying a lot. :)

    Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

    << Home