27 March 2012

S'more Cookie Tarts


Raise your hand if you link up to a gazillion linky parties every day.

{Hand raised.}

Keep your hand up if it takes a long time because your computer is absurdly slow and it makes you want to throw it out the window.

{My hand is still raised.}

Now, keep it up there if you often purposely get up super-early and sneak quietly around your house to not wake your kid(s) so that you can link and read blogs in peace before the rush of dress-breakfast-shoes-school starts.

{Yup, still raised.}

Now, imagine you get up on one of those days (last Thursday, to be exact) and find that your internet is out. What would you do?

{Yeah, I pretty much said that word too.}

I did a few things and figured the incident was probably not on our end, that the problem was with our internet provider.

So I got on my cell phone to get the number to call to check the recordings that usually say "yes, we are experiencing and outage in your area blah blah blah," or to talk to one of their 24 hour tech support people if it was an issue with my comuter.

Except what I got? The computer voice from Hell.

"Enter your phone number," she demanded.

I did.

"I'm sorry, there is a problem with that number, please try again."

I did.

Then she hung up on me, that <insert cuss here>.

I tried again. Same result.

The funny thing?

Our internet service provider? Also provides our home phone.

So the phone I was using to call them? The number they didn't recognize?

Is the number that I pay them for.


Luckily, shortly after four tries to get through, a tearful call to my husband, and lots of curse words, the internet magically came back on.

Later in the day I called the company. The number they had on file was from when we lived in Arizona five years ago. (Um, we've moved and changed our address and our services with them since then.)

Stupid me, thinking they would actually have the correct phone number in the computer. That I wouldn't have to tell them: "hey, be sure to update this info when I call you to set up my service." Tsk, tsk.

So yes, if you live in the Sacramento area and have Wave Broadband, I suggest you give them a call and check your account. Tell the computer I said hello.


A few weeks ago I saw these at Target. I immediately thought "S'mores" (because that is what rational people think when they see chocolate covered marshmallows, no?)


I needed a good crust for these. Of course, if you're making s'mores, you need graham crackers. So I made a graham cracker crust.


Cut out circles that fit the candy.


Wrapped the candy up all nice and warm in its graham cracker crust blanket.


Then baked them. And ate them. Because marshmallows are good.


Perfect for days when stupid computers seem to rule the world.

Oh, wait. I depend on computers for my work. And so does my husband.

I'm sorry computers. I love you.

Want a cookie?

S'more Cookie Tarts

by Crazy for Crust
Recipe for crust adapted from Hershey's
Ingredients (about 24 cookie tarts)
  • 1/2 cup salted butter (1 stick)
  • 3/4 cup white sugar
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 tsp. baking powder
  • 1 egg
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1 cup graham cracker crumbs (about 6 sheets)
  • 1 package chocolate covered marshmallows (about 24 candies), unwrapped
Instructions
  1. Cream butter and sugar in a stand mixer until fluffy. Beat in flour, graham cracker crumbs, and baking powder. (I crushed my graham crackers in a Ziploc bag with a rolling pin. If you want a finer crumb, use the food processor.)
  2. Turn out dough onto a large sheet of waxed paper. Press it flat with your hands. Cover with another sheet of wax paper and roll it to 1/4” thickness. Chill for 30 minutes.
  3. Preheat oven to 350°. Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper. Remove crust dough from refrigerator. Cut circles of dough that will fit your candies. (I placed the candy on the crust and found the size cookie cutter I needed based on size. My candies peeked out of the crust, but if you want your candies completely covered you will need bigger circles.)
  4. Wrap the candies in the dough and place on the cookie sheets. Bake 9-11 minutes until they are just starting to turn golden brown. Let sit on cookie sheets for 2 minutes before removing to a cooling rack.
Powered by Recipage

Enjoy!



Have a Linky Party you want me to join? Add it HERE.
I link up to all of these fabulous parties each week!
Tea Party Tuesdays at Sweetology, Talent Show Tuesday at Chef in TrainingTrick or Treat Tuesday at Inside BruCrew Life, Cast Party Wednesday at Lady Behind the Curtain, Sweet Treats Thursday at Something Swanky, Chic-and-Crafty at the Frugal Girls, Tastetastic Thursday at A Little Nosh, Sweet Tooth Friday at Alli-n-sons, I'm Lovin' it Fridays at TidyMom, Sweets for a Saturday at Sweet as Sugar Cookies, A Well-Seasoned LifeStrut your Stuff Saturday at Six Sisters' Stuff, and all of these too!

Labels: , , ,

57 Comments:

At March 27, 2012 at 6:28 PM , Blogger Ashley @ Kitchen Meets Girl said...

I had a similar experience with our bank. Nearly 10 years later, I'm still irritated about it! But these S'mores Cookie Tarts would cheer anyone right up...holy moly, I need to make some of these!

 
At March 27, 2012 at 6:33 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

Thanks Ashley! It's funny how somethings like that totally irritate. Those automated voices just push my buttons big time! :)

 
At March 27, 2012 at 6:38 PM , Blogger Mandy Bird said...

Yum, do these look good! I love your rant! Exactly me, if I was in your situation. I am grateful for scheduling posts for times like that. Our power was out last Saturday to Sunday (18 freaking hours)and luckily I didn't have to worry about posting.

 
At March 27, 2012 at 6:55 PM , Blogger Tobins' Tastes said...

I too have a slow computer and when I experience problems with my internet, I pretty much lose my mind.

Those treats however look amazing! They totally fit into my love affair with bite sized treats and s'mores. I will clearly be making them soon! Pinning this right now.

 
At March 27, 2012 at 7:26 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Uh oh, we just switched to Wave! So far it's a HUGE improvement over our last provider. *fingers crossed* I am definitely going to try this recipe, especially your graham cracker crust. Yum!!

 
At March 27, 2012 at 7:33 PM , Blogger Erin said...

Oh my gosh! These Peeps are my favorite. I wait every year to find them and then stock up on them because they disappear so quickly. I ave to hide them from my kids too! But these??? Oh man. I'm drooling. I'm going to run tot he store tomorrow to buy 2 more bags so I can make these. They look heavenly! And sorry about your computer/internet!

 
At March 27, 2012 at 7:34 PM , Blogger Robin @ Bird On A Cake said...

Yeah, my computer is 6 years old and I pretty much hate it. I spend a lot of time dealing with it's "issues". But I work with what I got!

I haven't seen those Peepsters before...gotta get some! I love your brilliant idea with the graham cracker crust. :0)

 
At March 27, 2012 at 7:51 PM , Blogger Julie E said...

OMG lady! This is like the best way I've seen to make s'more cookies. No fight the fluff or crazy run over out of the cookies. Fine work!

 
At March 27, 2012 at 8:10 PM , Blogger CookieCrazedMama said...

I love ANYTHING S'mores! And when I found those Peepsters at Target a couple weeks ago, I freaked out! These look like the perfect home for them-Thank you!

 
At March 27, 2012 at 8:24 PM , Blogger Camille said...

Oh my gosh- I NEED those peepsters!!! They are the perfect food! ;) And your cookies look amazing, as does everything you make. I was cracking up at your story about your provider- we have so many stupid problems with ours too and I can totally relate! Glad that your internet is now up and running!
Have a great night,
Camille
SixSistersStuff

 
At March 27, 2012 at 8:24 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would have freaked too. Nothing bothers me more than broken technology...except maybe talking to computers at customer service lines. These s'mores probably have the power to undo anything though...they look so, so good! Keeping my eyes peeled for those Peeps now!

 
At March 27, 2012 at 9:37 PM , Blogger Amalia said...

I love this post! Your writing is hilarious :) I would hate it if my computer just suddenly didn't work one day. But if it's any consolation, my computer is SO FREAKING SLOW!! I definitely want to throw it out the window too! But these cookies would help me fight that urge :) I think these are genius, I love those chocolate covered marshmallow peeps! How awesome! I'm off to Target now :)

 
At March 28, 2012 at 2:25 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

i havent seen theses peepsters in a store by me yet! these cookies are perfect. who doesnt love smores?!

 
At March 28, 2012 at 2:56 AM , Blogger keri @ shaken together said...

I feel like we are long lost sisters, ha ha. I too link to a bajillion link parties at the crack of dawn on a computer that is older than dirt. And I might have said that word, too ;) And these look AWESOME, by the way!!

 
At March 28, 2012 at 4:11 AM , Blogger Michael said...

I've never seen peepsters, guess I need to go back to the store and hang out in the candy aisle a little bit longer. I already feel like a freak with the amount of time I spend lurking the candy aisles!!! Great recipe!

 
At March 28, 2012 at 5:12 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

I usually stay up late and link to as many parties as I can before bed and then do the same thing in the morning when I get up. I hate it when my Internet or computer isn't working though. These look so good, I love smores!!

 
At March 28, 2012 at 5:43 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

I so don't know how you do it, when my computer goes out I don't even try to figure it out, I freak out and call Hubby. And if I had those cute peeps here, I would be making those cookies tonight!

 
At March 28, 2012 at 6:36 AM , Blogger Elizabeth said...

These look so easy and delicious!

 
At March 28, 2012 at 6:50 AM , Blogger Hayley @ The Domestic Rebel said...

I'm thankful Jessie knows a thing or two about computers, or else I would have gone on a rampage every time mine has a geriatric spat and murdered the neighborhood's computers, too. I mean, what was I saying, I would never do that...
I love these! Too easy and I want some. I promise I'll never murderously kill your computer.. unless you want me to, Office-Space style :)

 
At March 28, 2012 at 6:54 AM , Blogger Angie @ Sweet Natured Treats said...

These sound so good! I pretty much love anything s'mores related!

 
At March 28, 2012 at 6:55 AM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

We like it, especially the price, but it's often slow. And they are kind of a mom-n-pop shop, which is great, but has it's drawbacks too (case in point). :) Thanks Jacqueline! I hope you enjoy them.

 
At March 28, 2012 at 6:55 AM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

Okay, good to know I'm not alone! :) Thanks so much for pinning!

 
At March 28, 2012 at 6:57 AM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

Thanks Camille! Yes, perfect food for sure. :) Thanks so much for your comment and ditto on the great night!

 
At March 28, 2012 at 6:59 AM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

LOL...These are for sure too easy. I took them to school and they disappeared quickly. Bummer, now I need to make more... :)

 
At March 28, 2012 at 6:59 AM , Blogger Maria said...

Mmmm these look absolutely delicious!!!!!

 
At March 28, 2012 at 6:59 AM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

Oh, I did that. But he was in LA. Luckily it came back on before I had to do much or I would've lost my mind even more!!! :) I will add these peeps to the list of things I need to send to you. :)

 
At March 28, 2012 at 7:00 AM , Blogger Angi said...

Great, now I have to EAT the Peeps that the Easter bunny got for the kids BEFORE Easter. Thanks a lot! ;)

Seriously, these look super yummy! Awesome idea!

 
At March 28, 2012 at 7:11 AM , Blogger Julie said...

I'm seriously making these! MUST FIND THOSE PEEP THINGS!!!

 
At March 28, 2012 at 7:38 AM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

Thanks so much Amalia! Sometimes I wonder what my computer is really doing when it should be working for me...

 
At March 28, 2012 at 7:39 AM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

Thanks so much! I love s'mores. (I got my candies at Target, if that helps at all.) Have a great day!

 
At March 28, 2012 at 7:39 AM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

It seems there is a trend among us bloggers. We need a "new computer" program! :) Thanks so much Keri!

 
At March 28, 2012 at 7:43 AM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

Thanks Julie! I found mine at Target. I think there are some other brands that have something similar too. Last time I was there I want to say Dove had some?

 
At March 28, 2012 at 10:24 AM , Blogger Sara said...

Tasty looking treat, good reward after dealing with computer/automated phone issues!

 
At March 28, 2012 at 12:32 PM , Blogger Chandra said...

Crazy for your desserts!...Seriously, the wedding dress is an afterthought now:D

 
At March 28, 2012 at 1:58 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

How easy are these! They look amazing! I homeschool my daughter so the mornings I'm able to get up early and sneak over to my laptop for a little blogger time is glorious! Although rare :( Next year she's going full time though...WOOT WOOT!!

 
At March 28, 2012 at 2:00 PM , Blogger The Cooking Actress said...

OMG you poor thing-that's the worst! Ughh, people! Buut-these look CRAZZYYYY delish!

 
At March 28, 2012 at 3:37 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

I'm filing this recipe under 'treats to make on a really cra%%y day when bad stuff happens and you deserve to bake something and eat them all yourself!"
That about sums them up I think!!!

You are a brilliant woman for thinking this up, by the way....
Next time your internets break you can come right over to my house and use mine....we'll watch little house on the prairie....

 
At March 28, 2012 at 6:06 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At March 28, 2012 at 6:12 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Dang--you described your experience so vividly I literally felt your pain. Maybe because I've had similar experiences (hasn't everyone)? And I need to call the cable company like, yesterday, about fees my spouse and I should not have been charged. Grrrr. But wow, these cookies look like something for all that ails ya, huh? Must make. Stat. Thanks for sharing your fabulous sense of humor and delicious recipes!
~Ann (I don't know how to show my name. I don't want to be "Unknown." But I'm not a blogger, just a reader, so maybe that's why I can't add my name.)

 
At March 28, 2012 at 7:44 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

Thanks! I know, automated systems are the worst. Thanks for reading!

 
At March 28, 2012 at 7:48 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

That's weird. There should be an option! I'll have to look into it. I needed to get rid of Anonymous, because of the spam. Thanks so much for reading!! :)

 
At March 29, 2012 at 12:34 AM , Blogger out of the frame said...

great recipe :) Pinned it!

 
At March 29, 2012 at 2:37 AM , Blogger Nicky @ Pink Recipe Box said...

I have loads of problems with out ISP too and I'M the one who has to deal with it all because it's all in a foreign language and my boyfriend can't take it. 1 phone call to this company normally makes me crawl into a ball into a corner and try. I'm sure these S'more cookie tarts would make everything better - they look amazing!
Pinned!

 
At March 29, 2012 at 7:01 AM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

Thanks Nicola! Isn't it horrible when there are some places you just try to avoid calling? So annoying. Cookies make it better every time!

 
At March 29, 2012 at 9:41 AM , Blogger Jocelyn said...

My hand is raised on every point you made! Maybe even the "word":-) Sadly I am computer challenged so I am at the mercy of the computer god's to get it fixed every time it happens here!!! I love these peepsters...last year I made popcorn with them, but your cookies look way better!!! Got any left? Man, I wish I was there to take a walk with you guys and have cookies:-)

 
At March 29, 2012 at 12:39 PM , Blogger Ellen @ BakeItWithBooze said...

I just had my first peepster yesterday and AUTOMATICALLY thought of you and Hayley! Glad to see you were already on the peepster baking patrol and cranking out baking creativity galore. I had the dark chocolate variety...I think the milk chocolate ones may have to come live at my house very, very soon. Of course, they won't live long... :)))))

 
At March 29, 2012 at 6:36 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

LOL! We're the candy freaks. Oh, dark chocolate. I must get me some of those!!! Thanks Ellen!

 
At March 29, 2012 at 10:43 PM , Blogger So Domesticated said...

Simple and they look fantastic!

 
At March 30, 2012 at 4:27 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

Thanks! :)

 
At March 31, 2012 at 8:11 AM , Blogger Carol, The Answer Is Chocolate said...

Brilliant!

 
At April 1, 2012 at 4:28 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

These look absolutely delicious! I'm always amused by how your posts come to light. The computer actually seemed to work out in this case. Thanks so much for sharing at Whimsy Wednesdays.

 
At April 5, 2012 at 7:16 PM , Blogger amy and jesse hudson said...

yes please

 
At April 5, 2012 at 9:43 PM , Blogger Addicted to Recipes said...

My hand was raised! These look great! Thanks for sharing at Scrumptious Sunday!

Addicted to Recipes
http://iamaddictedtorecipes.blogspot.com

 
At April 6, 2012 at 1:37 PM , Blogger Deana said...

Oh my goodness you have done it again...these look so goooood...Thanks for linking up @CountryMommaCooks…..hope to see you again tonight and have a wonderful weekend:)

 
At April 27, 2012 at 6:01 PM , Blogger cookies and cups said...

This is such a fun idea! I love those Peeps :)

 
At May 4, 2012 at 8:45 AM , Blogger Run DMT said...

Can I out my hand down now? That was me and my morning. I was trying to finish my Friday Food Fight post and visit a gazillion other foodie blogs when my internet went out. Great. Oh well. Such is the life of a mommy blogger.

I haven't seen those Peepsters but I am all over them like the milk chocolate goodness that coats them. These cookie creations you have here are fantastic. How creative! Totally pinning them!

 
At May 4, 2012 at 8:47 AM , Blogger Run DMT said...

Forgot to add...One more linky party for you to join! ;-)

http://deniseisrundmt.com/2012/05/04/mexican-wedding-cakes-for-cinco-de-mayo/

 

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment! Reading your comments is better than eating pie...and if you know me that's saying a lot. :)

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home