17 April 2012

Brownie Ice Cream Birthday Cake


I have a funny story to tell you today. One that's not really funny to me, but will probably have all of you laughing at me.

I almost decided against telling it, (1) because it is embarrassing and (2) because it's kinda...gross...and we are talking about food. But because I'm a truthful and honest person, I'll tell it anyway. :)

I have a cat. Her name is Callie. She's a calico, and if we're being brutally honest, she's kind of a b****. In true cat form, she's really just into herself and we are at her beck and call.

Because I value my sanity and my sleep, I've made certain accommodations for Callie. She has a habit of yowling all night long if we don't give her what she wants. (And no, "trying to ignore her for a few nights" so she'll "learn" doesn't work. Believe me. I tried.)

Case in point - she has her own water glass. It's pink, and it used to be mine. I have given up my pink water glasses in lieu of one with a lid and a straw, so that she can use a pink cup as her water bowl on my nightstand. I get to listen to her drink all night long, and she let's me live until morning.

{Side note: who knew cats could tell colors? I tried to wash her pink glass once and replaced it with a green one. Finally, at four in the morning I went downstairs and got her a new pink one so that I could get some sleep.}

Anyway, back to the point. Callie has a problem with barfing. She does it all the time. It's not hairballs. I don't know why she does it. (Sure, we could pay the $150 for blood work...but then how would I buy candy?) She's fine in all other ways, eating, drinking, etc. She just likes to barf. At night.

She sleeps on the bed with me. Behind my head. You see where this is going?

Usually her retching wakes me up and I have time to drop-kick her off the bed so that the barf lands on the carpet. Last night? I didn't wake up. Well, until I rolled over into crusty cat barf.

So what's a girl to do at three in the morning? Wake the whole house to change the sheets? No. I moved  to the middle and went back to sleep.

When I woke in the morning I went to strip the bed. And found cat barf. ON MY PILLOW.

*Cue retching.* (From me.)


So....let's talk cake, shall we? I have sort of a love/hate relationship with this cake. I love it because I thought it was cute (it was based on this pin...the pin is way cuter so maybe don't go look?) and because it tasted freakin' awesome.

I kinda hate it because it was Jordan's birthday cake...the one she couldn't eat because she was sick. The one she made us put candles in to sing to her on her birthday and then cried for a half hour because she couldn't have it. (She did eventually eat some, the next week.)

But the love wins out. It's really an awesome cake. It has lots of steps, but is super easy to make.


I layered the bottom of my 9" pan with plastic wrap. Then I made the ice cream layer. You can use whatever ice cream you like, but may I recommend Cake Batter Cookie Dough from Lovin' Scoopfuls? Um, YUM.


Then the brownie layer goes on. Wrap it up and freeze.


Then I iced it with pink almond-scented Cool Whip.


And drizzled it with chocolate ganache.


Seriously, it's awesome. I think I love it more than hate it. And boy, could I have used some when I got up this morning.

Enjoy!


Brownie Ice Cream Birthday Cake

by Crazy for Crust (Inspired by this pin.)


Ingredients
  • 1 box brownie mix (9x13” pan size), plus eggs, oil, and water called for to make cake-like brownies
  • 1 half-gallon of your favorite ice cream
  • 1 container Cool Whip (I used fat-free), defrosted
  • Food Coloring, if desired
  • ¼ teaspoon almond extract (you can use vanilla if you prefer, but use about 1 teaspoon)
  • ½ cup heavy cream
  • ¾ cup chocolate chips
  • Sprinkles
  • 1 cup (or so) of leftover or canned frosting, whatever flavor you want
  • Sugar cone and additional chocolate chips
Instructions
  1. Mix ingredients for cake-like brownies. Bake the brownie in a 9” round cake pan. (I lined the bottom with parchment and sprayed with cooking spray for easy removal.) It takes about 28 minutes to bake in this pan. Let it cool completely before removing from pan and assembling cake. If the top is very rounded, use a serrated knife to trip the top to make it flat.
  2. Assembling the cake: Let the ice cream sit on the counter for about 15 minutes before making your cake. (You can also use the microwave to aid in this step.) Line a 9” springform pan with plastic wrap. Make sure the plastic wrap overhangs the pan. I used three layers.
  3. Spread the softened ice cream evenly in the bottom of the plastic-lined pan. Place the brownie on top of the ice cream layer and press it down to seal any gaps. Wrap the plastic wrap over the brownie and freeze until firm, at least 1-2 hours.
  4. Make your ganache: pour the heavy cream into a small bowl. Microwave for 40 seconds. Add the chocolate chips and whisk together. Let cool before using.
  5. To frost cake: add the almond extract to the Cool Whip and stir. Tint with food coloring, if desired. Remove cake from freezer and remove from pan. Place, brownie side down, on a cake plate or a 10” cake round. Remove plastic wrap and frost with Cool Whip. Return to freezer for about ½ hour.
  6. To decorate: Remove from freezer and pour ganache in the center of the cake, allowing it to drip down the sides. Add some sprinkles and return to freezer for ½ hour to allow the ganache to freeze.
  7. To make spilled ice cream cone: Melt a small handful of chocolate chips in a small bowl. Dip the top of a sugar cone in the melted chocolate and then roll in sprinkles. Use an ice cream scoop to scoop some frosting onto the center of the cake and top it with the sugar cone, upside down. Add more sprinkles if you wish. Freeze again until ready to eat.
Powered by Recipage




Have a Linky Party you want me to join? Add it HERE.
I link up to all of these fabulous parties each week!
Tea Party Tuesdays at Sweetology, Talent Show Tuesday at Chef in TrainingTrick or Treat Tuesday at Inside BruCrew Life, Cast Party Wednesday at Lady Behind the Curtain, Sweet Treats Thursday at Something Swanky, Chic-and-Crafty at the Frugal Girls, Tastetastic Thursday at A Little Nosh, Sweet Tooth Friday at Alli-n-sons, I'm Lovin' it Fridays at TidyMom, Sweets for a Saturday at Sweet as Sugar Cookies, A Well-Seasoned LifeStrut your Stuff Saturday at Six Sisters' Stuff, and all of these too!

Labels: ,

56 Comments:

At April 17, 2012 at 7:21 PM , Blogger Hayley @ The Domestic Rebel said...

Yay! I LOVE THIS CAKE. Obsessing over the melted ice cream flourish. Sad Jordan couldn't eat it on her birthday; maybe Callie is to blame for the sickness--making Jordan sick by using her evil, cat powers and being sick as in cruel and morbid by vomming on your pillow. Maybe she thought you needed a barf deep conditioning mask? Damn them calicos!! Ging would never do that to you :)

 
At April 17, 2012 at 7:36 PM , Blogger Shirley said...

I am cracking up over here! I am familiar with the strategy of moving the cats to the wood floor once I hear the telltale "ulp... ulp..." and going back to sleep. And since we're telling gross stories, sometimes the other cat would eat it and it'll be gone by the time I wake up. But I've never had the barf anywhere near my head! My cats also were/are sweethearts, so I've never called them b****es. Maybe the cake helped make up for the incident? It looks good enough to drown sorrows in. :)

 
At April 17, 2012 at 7:57 PM , Blogger Sue said...

Wow, that is SOME cake! I'm glad Jordan got to eat some eventually:)

I don't feel so bad anymore about our big, black lab hunkering down under the covers between me and my husband:)

 
At April 17, 2012 at 8:11 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your cat and my dog are like the same crazy animal! My lab drinks so much water, he makes himself sick...in the middle of the night (I blame life in the desert.) Even when my husband is away on business the bed is off limits to the dog! I think we both need a piece of this cake some mornings :) I love the ice cream cone on top!

 
At April 17, 2012 at 8:13 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a darling cake! And thank you for telling your embarrassing high maintenance cat story - it made me laugh, and I have had a rather embarrassing day so it was a much-needed laugh :) I would have cried if this were my birthday cake and I couldn't eat it, too!! Poor Jordan!

 
At April 17, 2012 at 8:14 PM , Blogger justjenn said...

That is the funniest story ever!! The things we do for our animals.

And gosh that cake looks so good.

 
At April 17, 2012 at 8:19 PM , Blogger Back for Seconds said...

Ugh! This is why I don't have a cat. Pretty funny about the pink glass though, haha!
This cake looks amazing. I'm glad your daughter eventually got to try it :)

 
At April 17, 2012 at 8:55 PM , Blogger Kristin said...

This is my kinda cake!
I've always disliked cats because I had a dream once that one bit my nose off. (I'm serious.)
My husband's roommate had 3 cats when we were dating and one of them had kittens. They had 7 cats in their house at once. As soon as my husband went to army training, I unloaded all 7 of them on the first person who offered and I never saw any of them again. You must secretly love your kitty if she's still around :)

 
At April 17, 2012 at 10:56 PM , Blogger Crunchy Creamy Sweet said...

At least your cat doesn't eat the barf... We had a cat that did that. Go figure :) Anyways, the cake sounds absolutely dilvine! Looks soooo tempting!

 
At April 18, 2012 at 1:45 AM , Blogger keri @ shaken together said...

Dorothy ... I seriously love your cake. And your cat story!! Our cats must drink from a cup that they watch you fill with water from the sink, but they must be color blind ;)

 
At April 18, 2012 at 4:18 AM , Blogger Michael said...

That cake is adorable and your story cracks me up!

 
At April 18, 2012 at 5:11 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Oh my gosh I am laughing out loud at you, so sorry. I used to have a Yorkie that would sleep on my pillow resting on my head at night. She would wake up and start licking my forehead if she wanted something. It was not so good for sexy time if you know what I mean ;p But at least she was nice, and no barfing on me. Oh god, I cannot stop laughing!!! But, and I mean this in a really nice way, so glad it was you and that you shared it, oh and the cake yay cake!

 
At April 18, 2012 at 6:52 AM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

Thanks Hayley!I'm totally using the "barf deep conditioning mask" phrase, FYI. :)

 
At April 18, 2012 at 6:54 AM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

Isn't that "ulp ulp" sound the worst? Especially at 3am? And Callie is definitely NOT a sweetheart...except for about 5 minutes a day. Even then we have to watch out we don't come back with a bloody stump for a hand...

 
At April 18, 2012 at 6:54 AM , Blogger keatseatsblog said...

I LOVE this cake! I've been dreaming about that pin forever now-- so glad to see it was put to use!!!

This cake looks incredibly delicious too :)

Sorry about the barf. Gross.

 
At April 18, 2012 at 6:56 AM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

You're welcome Jacequeline! I hope your day today is better. :)

 
At April 18, 2012 at 7:00 AM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

Thanks Keri! Seriously, they have to watch you fill the cup? That's hilarious!

 
At April 18, 2012 at 7:01 AM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

Yeah...the dog always leaves for "that" time...The cat usually just sits on my nightstand and stares. Pervert. ;) Thanks for reading Sue!

 
At April 18, 2012 at 7:27 AM , Blogger Mrsblocko said...

I thought I was the only one who had cats that HAD to drink out of a cup.

And one of my cats is an avid puker as well. He used to get off the bed before he did his pre dawn yarp, but as he's gotten in his golden years that doesn't happen much.

Oh and don't you love it when you toss them off the bed as they are making the "ulp ulp" noise and they yack in mid toss, getting the barf EVERYWHERE. Yeah. That is the BEST.

 
At April 18, 2012 at 9:19 AM , Blogger Ikhlas said...

oh my gosh, this looks TO DIE FOR!
Also, just wondering how many eggs, how much water and oil you used to make the brownies more cake-like?

 
At April 18, 2012 at 11:04 AM , Blogger Angi said...

I almost peed myself laughing at this post...well that is after I was finished retching. EEEWWWWW!

But on to dessert...you make a cake after my own heart! I totally know what I'm making for MY birthday this year! Thanks so much for the idea...and the addition of the soon to be 5 extra pounds on my butt!

 
At April 18, 2012 at 11:45 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

awesome!

 
At April 18, 2012 at 12:05 PM , Blogger Erin said...

What a fun cake! Great job.

 
At April 18, 2012 at 1:36 PM , Blogger erica said...

This is way too cute for words! What a fabulous job! xo

 
At April 18, 2012 at 4:19 PM , Blogger ealldredge5 said...

So I've been thinking of ways to make an icecream cake and I love brownies so I think you gave me the answer I was looking for. I'd love it if you stopped by my April Link Party to share this. http://acraftycook.blogspot.com/2012/04/1-month-of-fun-april-link-party-and.html

 
At April 18, 2012 at 5:02 PM , Blogger Ashley @ Kitchen Meets Girl said...

Too funny! Well, not *really*, but as a person who owned a cat for a long, long time (and one who ran my household), I can totally identify. This cake looks awesome, though!

 
At April 18, 2012 at 6:19 PM , Blogger Ellen @ BakeItWithBooze said...

Great looking cake! I've always wanted to learn to make one and you make it look so easy...And, I loved the Callie story. Since I got the cat (14 yrs), Natasha has never, ever slept in my room. Okay, maybe once when she was a kitten and I left her for a week (had a cat sitter, of course). She was kinda lonely. And, here I thought cold cat barf between my toes was gross...You are a nice cat mom and a brave soul. :)

 
At April 18, 2012 at 7:24 PM , Blogger So Domesticated said...

Totally love this cake!

 
At April 18, 2012 at 8:55 PM , Blogger Michelle Day said...

Dorothy, Thanks for sharing your story and sorry to laugh at your expense but I too am the slave to my animal, Harley the dog who will stay at the top of the stairs until I walk him downstairs. He's a total baby!

This cake is amazing and I can't wait to try it out. I would love for you to share this at my Creative Thursday Link Party. I posted my button on your page :) Hope to see you there. Have a great week.

Michelle

 
At April 18, 2012 at 9:29 PM , Blogger beti said...

I don't really like cats and after reading this I think I will never touch one AGAIN but it's kinda funny, sorry but the whole story is funny. Also, your cake looks amazing and I will tell my mom to make it for my next birthday, it's the perfect pig out cake

 
At April 19, 2012 at 1:13 AM , Blogger Winnie said...

I can't stop laughing......
We have a cat (male) and he is the king of the house.
I'll tell you a secret - my other-half always complains that he has to compete with the cat hehehe

The cakes looks wonderful!!

 
At April 19, 2012 at 1:20 AM , Blogger Debra Kapellakis said...

rotflol about the YOUR cat...I won't adopt it for you...lol... the cake is cute...thank you for sharing the story and the cake

 
At April 19, 2012 at 1:52 AM , Blogger Nicky @ Pink Recipe Box said...

Oh my, this cake is amazing! I don't care what you say - I love your picture just as much as the pinned one! I'm pinning your recipe and I'm definitely going to give it a try next time I need a fancy cake.

 
At April 19, 2012 at 9:56 AM , Blogger Onna said...

This is too cute! Love it! and looks super delicious!

 
At April 19, 2012 at 2:54 PM , Blogger Shawn said...

I. Need. This. Now.

That has to be the most awesome ice cream cake I have ever laid my eyes on! YUM!

 
At April 19, 2012 at 4:40 PM , Blogger The Guyers said...

This would definitely take care of my sweet cravings!! I so want this right now!

Angela @ Our Family Journey
http://guyerfamilyblog.com

 
At April 19, 2012 at 4:45 PM , Blogger Angela said...

This looks amazing! Just pinned it.
P.S ---My Grandma's name was Dorothy....I love it. New visitor to your blog.

 
At April 19, 2012 at 5:09 PM , Blogger Taryn @ Design, Dining + Diapers said...

Oh my gosh this looks amazing!!! I could really use this right now.

 
At April 19, 2012 at 6:59 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

Thanks Erin! :)

 
At April 19, 2012 at 7:02 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

Thanks Karen!

 
At April 19, 2012 at 7:05 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

Thanks Ashley. Us cat people know what it's like! :)

 
At April 19, 2012 at 7:05 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

Thanks Ellen! We tried the whole "sleep in another room" thing with Callie. It worked for about 5 minutes before she taught herself to open the door. :)

 
At April 19, 2012 at 7:05 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

Thanks so much!

 
At April 19, 2012 at 7:06 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

I think, on my package, it had me add more water. It depends on the brand and size of your package, but sometimes it's more water, sometimes it's another egg. Thanks so much for reading!

 
At April 19, 2012 at 7:07 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

Uck. That hasn't happened yet. Something to look forward too! ;)

 
At April 19, 2012 at 7:08 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

"Compete with the cat" - that's for sure!! Thanks so much for reading Winnie!

 
At April 19, 2012 at 7:09 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

Thanks Nicola. That's sweet. :)

 
At April 19, 2012 at 7:10 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

Thank you so much!!

 
At April 19, 2012 at 7:29 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

Thanks so much! That's so sweet. :)

 
At April 20, 2012 at 8:26 AM , Blogger Melanie @ bear rabbit bear said...

Wow! This looks divine!

 
At April 21, 2012 at 7:57 AM , Blogger Carrie B said...

This looks so FUN! I love it.

 
At April 24, 2012 at 11:17 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sleep is a valuable thing!! I can't say that Ida done the same. But then again I do hold the Record for most Consecutive days not showered in our household!!

 
At April 24, 2012 at 7:28 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is truly wonderful and is being featured at Bake with Bizzy. Do come and bring more food. :)

 
At April 27, 2012 at 7:28 AM , Blogger amy and jesse hudson said...

This is going to be HUGE. I'm telling you that you've created something that will truly start a dessert making fad. Great job. I know I'm pinning it and will be attempting it in the near future!


Below is the link for today's party! Come on back and link up some more of your posts (old or new)

http://www.amynjesse.com/2012/04/drab-to-fab-link-party-14.html


Have a lovely weekend :)


Amy @ Sugar and Spice

 
At July 22, 2012 at 8:19 PM , Anonymous gluten free snacks said...

This looks so delicious, I hope I'd be able replicate it. Thanks.

 
At July 23, 2012 at 4:01 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

Thanks! I'm sure you can do it, it was super easy!

 

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment! Reading your comments is better than eating pie...and if you know me that's saying a lot. :)

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home