22 April 2012

Chocolate Malted Shortbread


I love trying new things.

Well, not really. I don't love trying new foods. I've never had beets and I've never tasted mustard and I'm not going to, thankyouverymuch.

I love when I find new products at the grocery store. Especially when they are my kind of product, like cereal. Or candy. Or something I can bake with.

When I was in high school I had a friend whose mom had this same sort of love for new food products. And she wasn't on a budget so they always had the newest cereals and cookies and all sorts of great snack foods. Rice Krispie Treats Cereal, anyone? I think I *may* have eaten the majority of their box, because my mom wouldn't buy new things unless she knew I liked them. (She'd just send me to my friends' house for that.)

So when Melt Organic contacted me about trying their rich and creamy spread, of course I said yes. New product? For cooking and baking? Of course I want some!


Melt Organic is a new buttery spread that is soy, gluten, and trans-fat free. It's organic. It has 50% of the saturated fat that butter has. It has fewer calories than butter and has no hydrogenated or partially hydrogenated oils. And it's and excellent source of "good fat" (fats that our bodies burn as energy instead of storing as fat). It's a healthy form of butter!

Melt Organic is made with virgin coconut oil, flax seed oil, palm fruit oil, canola oil, and hi-oleic sunflower oil. I've been hearing so much about coconut oil lately, so I was especially excited to try a product containing it. And guess what? The coconut oil gives Melt Organic the tiniest coconut flavor. Which is a huge score in my book.

I knew I was going to bake with it. I mean, I'm me, right? The question was, what to make? And would it turn out okay?

I decided to give these Chocolate Malted Shortbread bars another go. I tried making them at Christmas and they were good, but didn't turn out quite right. I was determined to make them perfect!

 

I baked my shortbread in a 9" tart pan. The chocolate shortbread dough has Ovaltine in it. I know there was a malted baking craze awhile back, with everything calling for Malted Milk Powder, which my grocery store doesn't have. They do, however, carry Ovaltine, my favorite drink from childhood.


I cut the slices small, to be more like cookie wedges. But believe you me, after I was done with these photos I cut myself a nice large slice and at it like a wedge of pie. Because these are that good.

The Melt Organic performed exactly like butter. Maybe even better. The shortbread is soft and chewy and delicious. But, of course, if you can't find Melt Organic in your store (they don't sell it near me, but if you live in the Los Angeles area, you can find it there or you can buy it online) you can use actual butter. But it won't be as good for you and you'll feel guilty eating the entire tart. So, just warning you. :)


So try these bars. And, if you can, try Melt Organic. It's good. I can't wait to make cookies with it. And frosting. Jordan even likes it on her sandwiches, and if you've been reading long enough to know how she is, that's an amazing compliment.

Oh, and who can say no to Ovaltine and Whoppers? Not I.

Enjoy!


Chocolate Malted Shortbread

by Crazy for Crust (Adapted from Land o' Lakes...and yes I see the irony.)


Ingredients
  • 2/3 cup Melt Organic Spread (or butter)
  • ½ cup firmly packed brown sugar
  • 2 ounces (2 squares) semi-sweet baking chocolate, melted
  • ¼ cup Ovaltine powder
  • 1 ¼ cups flour
  • 5 oz box Whoppers (movie theatre size)
  • ½ cup Chocolate Chips
Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 350°.
  2. Mix butter and brown sugar on medium speed until creamy, about 1-2 minutes. Add the 2 ounces of melted chocolate and Ovaltine and beat until well mixed. Add flour and mix on low speed until the dough comes together; stir in chocolate chips.
  3. Press mixture evenly into a 9-inch tart pan with a removable bottom. Press Whoppers randomly around the top of the dough. (You won’t use the whole box…do what you will with the leftovers…)
  4. Place on a cookie sheet (in case of leakage) and bake about 20 minutes until the top starts to look a little cracked. Cool 10 minutes and then remove sides of pan. Cool completely on a cooling rack and then cut into wedges.
Powered by Recipage


Legal mumbo-jumbo: Melt Organic sent me two tubs of product to try for free. The info on the fats and benefits of Melt Organic came from their website and the Dr. Oz show. All opinions of the results I got with baking and how I liked Melt Organic are all my own, of course! For more info, check out their Facebook page or tweet them @meltspread #atlastgoodfat!




Have a Linky Party you want me to join? Add it HERE.

I link up to all of these fabulous parties each week!
Tea Party Tuesdays at Sweetology, Talent Show Tuesday at Chef in TrainingTrick or Treat Tuesday at Inside BruCrew Life, Cast Party Wednesday at Lady Behind the Curtain, Sweet Treats Thursday at Something Swanky, Chic-and-Crafty at the Frugal Girls, Tastetastic Thursday at A Little Nosh, Sweet Tooth Friday at Alli-n-sons, I'm Lovin' it Fridays at TidyMom, Sweets for a Saturday at Sweet as Sugar Cookies, A Well-Seasoned LifeStrut your Stuff Saturday at Six Sisters' Stuff, and all of these too!

Labels: , , ,

34 Comments:

At April 22, 2012 at 6:12 PM , Blogger Ashley @ Kitchen Meets Girl said...

Oooh, this looks soooooo good! Of course, my lame grocery stores here don't carry this product, but after seeing your recipe, I'll have to check it out online!

 
At April 22, 2012 at 6:31 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

I would buy this for sure! Oh dear heaven..this recipe gave me the goosebumps! I LOVE MALT....I always order my chocolate malts, with EXTRA EXTRA MALT PLEASE! Can you move in with me???

 
At April 22, 2012 at 6:45 PM , Blogger The Better Baker said...

I tasted something similar to this a while back, and begged for the recipe, but never have made them. I just might have to do that now. Pinning!!!

 
At April 22, 2012 at 7:03 PM , Blogger Jocelyn said...

Malt and whoppers in the same treat? That is just plain awesome!!! I'm sure my store won't have this for at least another few months or so. I have been using coconut oil and I love how it works and tastes.

 
At April 22, 2012 at 7:14 PM , Blogger Erin said...

These look delicious! I love trying new things! We're that house... my neice and nephew always say "you have the coolest things at your house. All the fun food that Mom never buys." =o) I love that!!!

 
At April 22, 2012 at 9:53 PM , Blogger Back for Seconds said...

I bet that malt flavor is fabulous! These look great, as usual ;)

 
At April 22, 2012 at 10:13 PM , Blogger Rachel {BubblyNatureCreations.com} said...

This looks so yummy- like I need some now! I want to try that melt spread now too. I love coconut oil and coconut in general. and you really have never tried mustard? My youngest eats it plain..lol... I am not crazy about it, but love it on a corndog! well anyway I am just rambling! haha

 
At April 22, 2012 at 10:13 PM , Blogger Rachel {BubblyNatureCreations.com} said...

Oh and we were the family that had the off brand macaroni and cheese because Kraft was so much more expensive...LOL! So I totally know where you are coming from there!

 
At April 22, 2012 at 10:30 PM , Blogger Slice of Southern said...

Love this shortbread, especially the malt flavor. Thanks for joining Southern Sundays with this wonderful recipe! I'll be announcing the featured recipes next week. Hope to see you at the next party with another great item!

 
At April 22, 2012 at 10:51 PM , Blogger Kristin said...

Beets make me gag. Just the smell of them...
I do like mustard though.
I can almost taste the chewiness of this shortbread. Yum!
Oh, and I thought my husband was the only person in the world who still drank Ovaltine :)

 
At April 23, 2012 at 5:44 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

I cannot get over the fact you have never eaten mustard! My kid eats it like ketchup, you have to give in and try it! But I will forgive you because these look so good, I would eat it like a pie too!

 
At April 23, 2012 at 6:13 AM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

Definitely! I like it a lot. Hopefully it'll be everywhere soon. Thanks so much for reading Ashley!

 
At April 23, 2012 at 6:13 AM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

LOL! You and my dad both. He ate like 5 slices...even though he's not supposed to have sugar. Thanks Trish!

 
At April 23, 2012 at 6:23 AM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

Oh, my husband eats it on everything. The smell makes me gag! Thanks so much for reading Sue!

 
At April 23, 2012 at 6:34 AM , Blogger Hayley @ The Domestic Rebel said...

OMG.
1) this looks AWESOME. I'm glad the Melt worked in place of butter--yay, healthy butter!!
2) YOU'VE NEVER HAD MUSTARD OMG CAN WE ACTUALLY BE FRIENDS RIGHT NOW?! Suuuriously, I'm ob.sess.ed with mustahd.
3) then again, you'll defriend me because I've never had Ovaltine before. Ahwhaaatnow? Yes. It's true. We were a Nesquick household. I want in on the Ovaltine goodliness!

 
At April 23, 2012 at 7:08 AM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

Not only have I never had mustard, I've only had ketchup once (ew) and mayo, don't get me started. Relish...never tried. I'm anti-condiment, lol. :) We had nestle too...my mom actually still has a tin can of it. TIN CAN, do you know how old that is??? Wait. You're young. You probably don't, lol.

 
At April 23, 2012 at 7:11 AM , Blogger Nicky @ Pink Recipe Box said...

This shortbread looks amazing! I haven't made shortbread in a loooong time. Can't wait to try your recipe! The healthy spread sounds great, too.

 
At April 23, 2012 at 7:20 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds great. I'm a coconut oil person so I'll have to check this stuff out!

 
At April 23, 2012 at 7:30 AM , Blogger Tobins' Tastes said...

What a cool product! My husband loves Malted anything so I will have to try and make this for him.
Thanks for linking up at Mealtime Monday!

Kaylee

 
At April 23, 2012 at 7:39 AM , Blogger MissCandiquik said...

these look amazing! Will check my Whole Foods for this spread. Thanks for sharing :)

 
At April 23, 2012 at 8:47 AM , Blogger Karyn said...

That looks and sounds divine!! Yumm-o!

 
At April 23, 2012 at 10:29 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Mmmmm.. I could eat that whole thing all by myself! :)

 
At April 23, 2012 at 1:30 PM , Blogger keatseatsblog said...

Looks great Dorothy!

 
At April 23, 2012 at 3:01 PM , Blogger So Domesticated said...

Yum... looks delish... definitely going to have to try organic!

 
At April 23, 2012 at 8:44 PM , Blogger beti said...

you really have the craziest and most delicious ideas!

 
At April 24, 2012 at 8:53 AM , Blogger Lisa Boyle said...

This looks absolutely delicious! Wow! I shouldn't be reading your blog around lunchtime, lol! :-) I will look into this product, as I try to bake with as many organic products as I can. Thanks so much for linking up with "Try a New Recipe Tuesday!" And, I have never tried beets either and don't think I ever will, lol! ;-)))

 
At April 24, 2012 at 6:05 PM , Blogger Lisa @ Flour Me With Love said...

I love shortbread and this one looks divine! Thanks so much for sharing at Mix it up Monday :)

 
At April 24, 2012 at 6:34 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

Ha, that's how I feel about myself too. :) Thanks Lisa!

 
At April 24, 2012 at 6:35 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

Thanks! :)

 
At April 24, 2012 at 6:35 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

Well...I may have. Well, almost. But I ate a lot. :)

 
At April 24, 2012 at 6:36 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

I hope he enjoys it!

 
At April 24, 2012 at 6:36 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

Oh, it makes it taste SO good. I am a new lover of all things coconut oil!

 
At April 24, 2012 at 6:36 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

Thank you! I hope you enjoy it. :)

 
At April 30, 2012 at 4:16 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

That looks amazing! I'd never head of the organic spread, but I'll have to keep my eyes out for it. Thanks so much for sharing at Whimsy Wednesdays.

 

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment! Reading your comments is better than eating pie...and if you know me that's saying a lot. :)

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home