05 January 2012

Honeycomb



Growing up, my best friend lived a block away from me. We practically lived at each other's houses; her mom and dad were my second parents and vice versa.

Back then, as pre-teens, we were allowed to come and go as we pleased as long as an adult knew where we were going. Only a few blocks from our neighborhood was a business district with small stores, a pizza parlor, and an ice cream/candy shop, both which had been there as long as our parents could remember.

Often, we'd take a break from our marathon Super Mario Bros. 3 playing, dress in our Paula Abdul outfits (bike shorts with lace, button down white blouse, and Keds) and walk downtown for lunch. We'd share garlic chips at the pizza place and then head to the ice cream shop for dessert.

It's funny how memories stick with you; how the sound of a bell or the smell of a place can still be in your mind even so many years later. Preston's was a place like that, and it still is today. When I take Jordan there it's like visiting the past in so many ways.

Sometimes my BFF and I would get ice cream as our treat, but more often we would get Honeycomb. It's a sweet and crumbly confection, basically pure sugar covered in chocolate. We'd each get a few squares and eat it on the way back to beat Bowser and his gang of thugs in our favorite video game.


I haven't had Honeycomb very often since moving away from my childhood home, but whenever I do eat it, I think of my friend. So, when I saw this recipe in Food Network magazine a few months ago I knew I had to make it for her for Christmas.

I was surprised at how easy it was to make, given the need for a candy thermometer.


You just mix your sugar, water, and corn syrup and cook to 300 degrees.

Then you mix in baking soda, and something wonderful happens. If I had four arms, I would have taken a photo but since I only have a barely coordinated two, you'll have to take my word for it. The clear sugar turns amber and bubbles up, so that when you pour it on your oiled cookie sheet, it looks like this:


Once it hardens, you break up the pieces and dip them in chocolate.


And that first bite? Takes you right back to your childhood; to pizza and Paula Abdul, to Mario, Luigi, and friendship.



Honeycomb
Recipe from Food Network Magazine, December 2011

Ingredients:
1 ½ cups sugar
¼ cup water
¼ cup light corn syrup
1 tablespoon baking soda
1 cup milk chocolate chips

Directions:
1.       Generously oil a large cookie sheet or jelly roll pan with vegetable oil. Set aside.
2.       Add sugar, water, and corn syrup to a saucepan, stir to combine, and place over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil and heat without stirring, until a candy thermometer reaches 300°, about 10-12 minutes.
3.       Stir in baking soda (make sure there are no clumps in your tablespoon, and sprinkle it over the candy mixture, don’t just dump it in; you don’t want lumps in your finished product) and pour quickly onto the oiled baking sheet. (The candy will bubble up and become amber in color when you add the soda.) Let harden completely, then break into pieces.
4.       Melt chocolate chips, adding a teaspoon or two of vegetable oil (or shortening) if needed. Dip the hardened honeycomb candy in the chocolate and place on waxed paper to set. Enjoy frivolously.


{Note: there is a print link in the footer of the post, please visit the post to print.}




This recipe may be linked with:
MondayMingle Monday (Add a Pinch), Joy of DessertsCreative Monday (Clairejustineoxox). Tuesday2 Maids a Baking (2 Maids a Milking), Tea Party Tuesdays (Sweetology), Mushki Loves My Stuff (Mushki Loves), Totally Tasty Tuesdays (Mandy's Recipe Box), Talent Show Tuesday (Chef in Training), Trick or Treat Tuesday (Inside BruCrew Life). WednesdayMrs. Fox's Sweet Party (Mrs. Fox's Sweets) Made It On Monday (Lark's Country Heart), This Chick CooksCast Party Wednesday (Lady Behind the Curtain).  ThursdaySweet Treats Thursday (Something Swanky), Chic-and-Crafty (Frugal Girls), Turning the Table Thursdays (Around My Family Table), Tasty Thursday (The How-To Mommy), Tastetastic Thursday (A little nosh), Sweet Temptations (Talking Dollars and Cents). FridaySweet Tooth Friday (Alli-n-son), I'm Lovin' it Fridays (TidyMom), Friday Favorites (Simply Sweet Home), Latest & Greatest Friday (Days of Chalk and Chocolate), Fusion Friday (Jane Deere Blog). SaturdaySweets for a Saturday (Sweet as Sugar Cookies), Seasonal Inspiration (Crumbs and Chaos). SundayA Well-Seasoned Life,Sharing Sundays (Everyday Sisters), Strut your Stuff Saturday (Six Sisters' Stuff), Moms Crazy Cooking

Labels:

2 Comments:

At July 5, 2012 at 7:17 PM , Blogger Melanie said...

I LOVE Honecomb! I can't wait to try this recipe!

 
At July 10, 2012 at 3:25 PM , Blogger Melanie said...

I just wanted to let you know I tried the recipe today and it came out great! I did have a snafu with the milk chocolate so I ended up using bittersweet. It ended up being a good combo with the sweet honeycomb. Thanks for the awesome instructions!

 

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment! Reading your comments is better than eating pie...and if you know me that's saying a lot. :)

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home