22 December 2011

Peppermint Pie


"Honey, let's run by Ikea."

I wonder how many marital fights have been caused by that simple statement. I bet more than I could count on my hands.

You know what Ikea is, right? The Sweedish mega-store that sells everything from spoons to sofas? Pretty nice stuff for pretty low prices. The catch? 99% of it comes in a flat-pack box. Which means you have to put it together. Yourself. Or you have to make your husband do it.

Recently we bought a new dresser. The two bags of screws and bolts were bigger than my head.

The directions that come with the furniture are pretty good. They transcend the language barrier by using no words, just pictures. So before you use your tiny allen wrench to tighten that screw, you have to make sure the long black board you're attatching to the long black plank is the one that has two holes on the left side and three holes on the front instead of two holes on the front and three on the left.

My house is slowly becoming assimilated into Ikea, like the Borg assimilates the human race: one piece at a time. Currently our Ikea collection includes: 2 dressers, 2 nightstands, 4 bookshelves, 3 drawer storage units, an end table, a coffee table, 3 desks, and numerous baskets, dishes, and linens.

I really want a pair of sofas, but that concens me a little. How, exactly, do I assemble a couch?

I guess the pictures would explain it.

Plus, I think furniture has more personal value if you build it yourself.

At least that's what I tell my husband. You know, pride of ownership and all that.

What I don't mind assembling? Pie.


Remember how I don't like pudding? Well, I still don't, but I like it in pie. Sometimes. This would be one time. There's enough other stuff in there to make it worth it.

I made this pie for my dad, so I used all sugar-free ingredients. BUT you can use the regular stuff too. This is a kind of feel-as-you-go recipe. Add a little more, make sure it fits in pie dish, then add a little more to that. It's no-bake so it doesn't really matter. And it's super easy. Serve it chilled or freeze it for an ice cream like treat. 

And it's pink. Which is a win-win for me. I don't think my dad minded either.


{Note: There is a print link embedded in the footer of the post. Please visit the post to print.}

Peppermint Pie

Ingredients:
Crust:
20 Oreos*
4 tablespoons butter

Filling:
1 (1.34 ounce) instant vanilla pudding box, plus milk called for to make pudding (about 2 cups)*
1 tub Cool Whip, thawed*
½ teaspoon Peppermint Extract
10 mini candy canes
Red food coloring

Directions:
1.       To make the crust: Finely grind Oreos in a food processor. Melt the butter in a medium bowl and add the crushed cookies. Stir with a fork and press into a 9” pie plate. Chill until ready to fill.
2.       To make the filling: Prepare pudding according to package directions. Stir in thawed Cool Whip and peppermint extract. Add red food coloring (if desired) to create a pink pie. Crush candy canes and add to filling, reserving about 1/3 of them for garnish.
3.       Pour filling into chilled crust. Top with remaining crushed candy canes. Chill until ready to eat, or you can freeze to eat as a frozen pie.

*This pie has a SUGAR-FREE OPTION: Use sugar-free alternatives to the Oreos, pudding, and Cool Whip.

{Recipe by CrazyforCrust}


This recipe may be linked with:
MondayMingle Monday (Add a Pinch), Joy of DessertsTuesday2 Maids a Baking (2 Maids a Milking), Tea Party Tuesdays (Sweetology), Mushki Loves My Stuff (Mushki Loves), Totally Tasty Tuesdays (Mandy's Recipe Box), Talent Show Tuesday (Chef in Training). WednesdayMrs. Fox's Sweet Party (Mrs. Fox's Sweets) Made It On Monday (Lark's Country Heart), This Chick Cooks.  ThursdaySweet Treats Thursday (Something Swanky), Chic-and-Crafty (Frugal Girls), Turning the Table Thursdays (Around My Family Table), Tasty Thursday (The How-To Mommy), Tastetastic Thursday (A little nosh), Sweet Temptations (Talking Dollars and Cents). FridaySweet Tooth Friday (Alli-n-son), I'm Lovin' it Fridays (TidyMom), Friday Favorites (Simply Sweet Home), Latest & Greatest Friday (Days of Chalk and Chocolate). SaturdaySweets for a Saturday (Sweet as Sugar Cookies), Seasonal Inspiration (Crumbs and Chaos). SundayA Well-Seasoned Life,Sharing Sundays (Everyday Sisters), Strut your Stuff Saturday (Six Sisters' Stuff), Moms Crazy Cooking

Labels: ,