28 December 2011

Almond Spritz Cookies with Chocolate Almond Glaze


I cannot believe that another year has passed us by. I swear, it was just yesterday when we rang in 2011.

When I was a kid and complaining about how sssssllllloooooowwwwww summer was going, my mom used to like to tell me that not to fear, the years would speed up as I got older.

In my kid-mind I was all, "Sure. Mmmhmm. I believe you. (NOT!)"

But, as usual, Mom was right. Now I want the year to slow down so I can actually experience it instead of it passing me by in a blur.

This year has been full of highs and lows, as any year is. Fun things, like Jordan turning 6 and going to Disneyland where Jordan finally, finally would take photos with the princesses. Exciting things like finishing Kindergarten and starting first grade. Mel and I celebrated our 10 year anniversary and renewed our vows with Elvis. He turned 50. I turned 34 and (even though I have awhile to catch up to him) finally understand when people complain about their age in relation to aches, pains, age spots, and grey hair.

We started the year having no idea we would end the year in a new house. Several months were spent dealing with buying and moving. But it was worth it. THIS house is our forever home. (Well, until this blog makes us rich and we can buy a house on the beach somewhere.)

We've lost some family members this year. Two of them passed within weeks of diagnosis, and should have had many years still ahead of them. That alone makes me appreciate what I have in front of me. I am thankful for what I have!

Honestly, I was trying to sum up 2011 to myself. And really, I couldn't. Because it went so fast I had a hard time even remembering everything that happened. Maybe one of my goals in 2012 should be to slow down?

Speaking of 2012, do you need a quick cookie to take to a party? There's no need to worry about calories until the 2nd, after all (the first is spent eating to recover from the party the night before, right?)


I've never made spritz cookies before and they are so super easy! I know that they don't traditionally have glaze, but they looked sorta naked. They needed a jacket, a chocolatey almond jacket. They are for New Year's Eve, right? They needed some glitz, glamour, and sparkle.

Make to eat, make to take...whatever, just make them!


Almond Spritz Cookies with Chocolate Glaze
Recipe adapted from Land ‘O Lakes
{The print link is in the footer.}

Ingredients:
For the cookie:
1 cup butter, softened
2/3 cup sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon almond extract
2 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
½ teaspoon salt

For the glaze:
1 cup powdered sugar
1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
¼ teaspoon almond extract
2-3 tablespoons milk
Sprinkles

Directions:
1.       Mix butter, sugar, egg, and extract in a mixer bowl. Beat at medium speed, scraping as needed, until creamy. Add flour and salt and mix on low until combined. If dough is too soft, chill before spritzing.
2.       Preheat oven to 400°. Do not grease or line your cookie sheets. Fit cookie press with desired template and fill with dough. Press onto cookie sheets. (If your dough won’t stick, try chilling your cookie sheets for a few minutes. (Cold cookie sheets = easy release.) Bake 8-14 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool completely
3.       Make the glaze: Mix powdered sugar, cocoa, and extract  in a small bowl. Add milk, 1 tablespoon at a time, until you get a good dipping consistency. (It should be runny.) Dip your cookies upside down into glaze and top with sprinkles. Let set before stacking.

Yield: about 4 dozen cookies, depending on shape.


Enjoy!


This recipe may be linked with:
MondayMingle Monday (Add a Pinch), Joy of DessertsTuesday2 Maids a Baking (2 Maids a Milking), Tea Party Tuesdays (Sweetology), Mushki Loves My Stuff (Mushki Loves), Totally Tasty Tuesdays (Mandy's Recipe Box), Talent Show Tuesday (Chef in Training). WednesdayMrs. Fox's Sweet Party (Mrs. Fox's Sweets) Made It On Monday (Lark's Country Heart), This Chick Cooks.  ThursdaySweet Treats Thursday (Something Swanky), Chic-and-Crafty (Frugal Girls), Turning the Table Thursdays (Around My Family Table), Tasty Thursday (The How-To Mommy), Tastetastic Thursday (A little nosh), Sweet Temptations (Talking Dollars and Cents). FridaySweet Tooth Friday (Alli-n-son), I'm Lovin' it Fridays (TidyMom), Friday Favorites (Simply Sweet Home), Latest & Greatest Friday (Days of Chalk and Chocolate). SaturdaySweets for a Saturday (Sweet as Sugar Cookies), Seasonal Inspiration (Crumbs and Chaos). SundayA Well-Seasoned Life,Sharing Sundays (Everyday Sisters), Strut your Stuff Saturday (Six Sisters' Stuff), Moms Crazy Cooking

Labels: ,