23 November 2011

Apple Crumb Cookies


So...Thanksgiving is tomorrow. Which means you're all ready for food, football, and family drama, right?

You know what I'm ready for? A cocktail or 6 Pie, of course!

Since it took this blog awhile to get off it's hind legs, most of you probably aren't familiar with my inspiration and why I named this site what I did. It really all started with this pie.

{Don't judge my pictures! I didn't know what "natural light" meant at the time.}

Anyway, Apple Crumb Pie is kinda what I'm "famous" for in my family. It should actually be called "Crumb Apple" because let's be honest. The crumb is the best part (well, that and the crust, that is). I started making it so many years ago I can't remember when. I originally followed a recipe from this old cookbook of my moms, a red-checkered Better Homes & Garden one from so many years ago. I've changed and altered it so much over time that I now consider it my own.

I know, I know. This post is about cookies. I've gotten a little off topic. But not really.

Because I made my apple crumb pie, but in cookie form.

Same yummy apple-crust-crumb flavor, but in a small, delectable bite.

And it's super heavy on the crumb-crust, thankyouverymuch. Right up my alley.


I cook my apples before I put them in pie, so I did the same. Layer some cooked Grannies on a sweet pie dough (or use store-bought, I won't judge), sprinkle with crumble, roll, slice, and bake. Oh and then drizzle with white chocolate.  Because all that crumb isn't sweet enough.

What can I say? Much like me most of the time, they needed a good accessory to complete the look.


So if you need something to take to your Great-Aunt Hilda's tomorrow...now you have it.

Go ahead. Chase your turkey-stuffing-mashed potato self with one or two or six of these little guys. It's what Thanksgiving is all about!


Print Friendly and PDFApple Crumb Cookies


Ingredients:
For the Crust:
1 ¼ cups flour
¼ cup sugar
½ cup cold butter, diced
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ cup ice water
OR
1 store-bought crust (from a package of two)

For the Crumb:
2 tablespoons butter
¼ cup flour
2 tablespoons sugar

For the filling:
1 apple, peeled and diced
1 teaspoon sugar
¼ teaspoon cinnamon

Garnish:
¼ cup white chocolate chips

Directions:
1.       To make the crust: add the flour, sugar, and salt to the bowl of a food processor. Pulse to combine. Add cold butter and pulse until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add water slowly until mixture comes together to form a ball. Wrap in plastic wrap and chill until the rest of your ingredients are ready.
2.       To make the Crumb: add butter, flour, and sugar in a medium bowl. Cut it with a fork until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. You can also use a pastry cutter for this step.
3.       To make the filling: peel and dice apple. Place in a medium skillet over medium heat. Sprinkle with the cinnamon and sugar and cook for about 3 minutes, just until apples start to lose their whiteness. Remove from heat.
4.       To assemble cookie: roll out crust on a lightly floured surface. Top evenly with apples. Cover apples with crumble. Roll tightly and cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate until chilled, at least one hour. (You can stick it in the freezer to speed up this step.)
5.       Preheat oven to 350°. Remove chilled cookie roll from refrigerator and cut into ½” slices. Place on a parchment lined cookie sheet and bake until golden, about 12-18 minutes. Let cool.
6.       To garnish: melt the while chocolate chips in a microwave safe bowl. Transfer to a Ziploc bag and snip off one corner. Pipe onto cookies and let harden before serving.


Have a wonderful holiday everyone!



This recipe may be linked with:
MondayMingle Monday (Add a Pinch), Joy of DessertsTuesday2 Maids a Baking (2 Maids a Milking), Tea Party Tuesdays (Sweetology), Mushki Loves My Stuff (Mushki Loves), Totally Tasty Tuesdays (Mandy's Recipe Box), Talent Show Tuesday (Chef in Training). WednesdayCast Party WednesdayMade It On Monday (Lark's Country Heart), This Chick Cooks.  ThursdaySweet Treats Thursday (Something Swanky), Chic-and-Crafty (Frugal Girls), Turning the Table Thursdays (Around My Family Table), Tasty Thursday (The How-To Mommy), Tastetastic Thursday (A little nosh). FridaySweet Tooth Friday (Alli-n-son), I'm Lovin' it Fridays (TidyMom), Friday Favorites (Simply Sweet Home). SaturdaySweets for a Saturday (Sweet as Sugar Cookies), Seasonal Inspiration (Crumbs and Chaos). SundayA Well-Seasoned Life,Sharing Sundays (Everyday Sisters), Strut your Stuff Saturday (Six Sisters' Stuff)

Labels: , ,