08 September 2011

Chocolate Royal Icing (and Football)


Today is a big day in our house.

No, it's no one's birthday. No one is having an anniversary or getting married or going off to college. No one got a promotion or won the lottery.

Today marks the first day of the professional football season. Tonight the Packers and the Saints will kickoff 17 weeks (plus playoffs!) of football mania and will leave me with the distinct title of "Football Widow."

Well, actually that's not entirely true. Merely kicking back with a plate full of nachos and cheering on our home team (GO NINERS!) is not the way football is celebrated in our house. Our football mania includes a non-football lover's two dirty words: Fantasy Football. I am, more accurately, a Fantasy Football Widow.

The next 17 weeks will be filled with Sunday morning viewings of the Fantasy Football Show and runs to the computer room to check "last-minute stats" and "injury reports." I will hear repeated use of the term "red zone." Tuesdays will be days where my husband is tired, due to his 3:00am team changes (done before the other members of this team are awake). Oops, was I not supposed to mention that? Sunday and Monday nights will be happy and joyful when it looks as though we might land on top of the rankings. Not so much when the reverse happens.

I must say, my husband is a lot better about fantasy football now than in the past. He knows that, if our daughter is home (and where else would she be?) on a Sunday afternoon, it is highly unlikely he will get to enjoy watching the game. Mainly, he sticks to watching the evening games after she is in bed. There was the one year when he was in two fantasy leagues and we had NFL Sunday Ticket. Oh, and an infant. I've tried to block that season out. Thankfully, it's not like that anymore.


I wanted to make these cookies for my husband's fantasy draft a few weeks ago. But I wasn't able to make them in time to ship them to Arizona where he flew to do his draft with his friends. Yes, you read that right. He packed up his spreadsheets and rankings and a trophy for winner and flew off into the sunset to spend some time with friends and draft players into a fake football team.

I have been wanting to try chocolate royal icing for awhile. I was interested to see if it would work and how it would taste. Well, happily, it turned out great and tastes even better! I'm never making brown icing again. And, I've heard that making black icing is much easier if you start from brown. That's something to try another day.

Chocolate footballs with chocolate royal icing? I don't think it can get any better.


Except if my husband were to actually win this year. GO MERVERTS!

Print Friendly and PDFChocolate Royal Icing
Recipe by Crazy for Crust

Ingredients:
2 cups powdered sugar
1 ½ tablespoons meringue powder
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 tablespoons cocoa powder
3 tablespoons water
1 teaspoon corn syrup (optional)

Directions:
Mix all ingredients EXCEPT corn syrup in the bowl of an electric mixer for about 7-10 minutes on low speed, until peaks begin to form. As it is mixing, add the corn syrup.  (I add the corn syrup because my meringue powder does not set shiny and the corn syrup adds shine. If you’re meringue powder sets shiny, or if you like a matte finish, you can omit this step.) Thin as needed for outlining or flooding by adding more powdered sugar or water for your need.

Yield: enough for about one dozen  4” cookies. Double if needed.


The Chocolate Sugar Cookies are from Lilaloa. They are really, really good! Or, you can use these chocolate sugar cookies. Or, since you're frosting them with brown icing, you could use regular ones.

The white royal icing is from SweetSugarBelle.

{One last day...go HERE to vote one last time!}





This recipe may be linked with:
MondayMingle Monday (Add a Pinch), Joy of DessertsTuesday2 Maids a Baking (2 Maids a Milking), Tea Party Tuesdays (Sweetology). WednesdayCast Party WednesdayMade It On Monday (Lark's Country Heart), This Chick Cooks.  ThursdaySweet Treats Thursday (Something Swanky), Chic-and-Crafty (Frugal Girls), Turning the Table Thursdays (Around My Family Table), Tasty Thursday (The How-To Mommy). FridaySweet Tooth Friday (Alli-n-son), I'm Lovin' it Fridays (TidyMom), Friday Favorites (Simply Sweet Home). SaturdaySweets for a Saturday (Sweet as Sugar Cookies), Seasonal Inspiration (Crumbs and Chaos). SundayA Well-Seasoned Life,Sharing Sundays (Everyday Sisters)

Labels: , , ,

14 Comments:

At September 8, 2011 at 10:10 PM , Blogger Jerri at Simply Sweet Home said...

I've been wanting to make football cookies for a while now. Yours turned out really cute! I'd like to invite you to link up at my Friday Favorites party!

 
At September 9, 2011 at 4:30 PM , Anonymous BreAna {Sugar and Spice and All Things Iced} said...

Yum! I am definitely going to try some chocolate royal icing this fall. What a great idea!

 
At September 10, 2011 at 8:17 AM , Blogger Kim McCallie said...

So cute! Perfect for tailgating. My boss has been hinting around about me making football cookies for tailgating. I'm looking for a football cookie cutter. These looks great! Thanks for sharing on Sweet Indulgences Sunday.

 
At September 10, 2011 at 9:06 AM , Blogger annies home said...

like your edible footballs I shared a great football craft on my blog come check it out if you find time at http://shopannies.blogspot.com

 
At September 11, 2011 at 3:03 PM , Blogger Abby said...

Your cookies are very cute! I love football! I've never heard of chocolate royal icing before, but I'm intrigued.

 
At September 11, 2011 at 3:40 PM , Blogger Teri said...

I have never heard of the chocolate royal icing, but I am very curious. The cookies look adorable!
I linked to you from Sweet Indulgences Sunday. Thanks for the great blog~I love it!

 
At September 11, 2011 at 4:57 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

@Kim McCallie
Good luck finding the cutter! I had one from way back in one of those kits I had gotten. If I happen to come across one I'll let you know. :)

 
At September 11, 2011 at 6:19 PM , Blogger Rachel said...

Thanks for your sweet comments on my blog! I've been having fun exploring yours - and I have a lot of respect for anyone who has the patience to use royal icing!

 
At September 11, 2011 at 7:05 PM , Blogger Laura Beth said...

Love these!! Featured them on my Fabulous Friday Finds :)

www.astepinthejourney.blogspot.com

 
At September 11, 2011 at 9:25 PM , Anonymous Gldngal said...

GO NINERS!! I am all over these cookies and trying the frosting for next week. Going to need all the good football juju I can get for next weeks game against Dallas LOL.

 
At September 12, 2011 at 7:07 AM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

@Rachel
Thanks, it's an ongoing process! See the messy white stripes? That's my patience waning. ;)

 
At September 12, 2011 at 7:08 AM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

@Gldngal
Yes, football juju is definitely needed! :) Thanks for reading!

 
At September 16, 2011 at 6:39 PM , Anonymous Becca @ Crumbs and Chaos said...

'Tis the season for football! These cookies would be crowd pleasers for sure! Thanks for linking up to Seasonal Inspiration Saturday!

 
At September 17, 2011 at 7:54 AM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

@Becca @ Crumbs and Chaos
Thanks for having me :)

 

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment! Reading your comments is better than eating pie...and if you know me that's saying a lot. :)

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home