04 September 2011

Blueberry Bread


I exercise every day. Not because I like it. I could probably think of at least 100 other things I'd rather do than exercise. I don't like to sweat. I don't like how I look in workout clothes. I don't like watching all the "I've had three babies and I'm thinner than I was in high school" ladies bounce on the elliptical.

(That last one makes me SO jealous, by the way. How do you moms look like that after three babies????)

I get myself to the gym every day because I like to eat. And, no matter if I workout or not, I will eat. A lot. So, by getting an hour of cardio in each day I'm able to feel (a little) less guilty about what goes into my mouth.

Since Jordan started first grade, a few of the other moms have been walking after drop-off. I decided to take a day off from the gym and walk with them. I was a little worried, because when I walk on weekends it's not the same workout I get at the gym. I was worried I'd spend an hour walking and then have to go home and do more.

I needn't have worried.

Our first walk was about 3.7 miles. With hills. The walk was good, the conversation better. Female companionship is like a drug, let me tell you.

Last Friday I walked with them for the second time. We walked over five miles. With hills. Almost two hours of exercise outside in the fresh air with friends. Did I mention it was over five miles? That little ditty, with the addition of the kickboxing class I had taken the day before, has made it so I could barely walk on Saturday. So yeah, I think I got a good workout.

You know what happens after you walk for two hours? You get hungry. This blueberry bread is a perfect snack after a workout.

I know, I know. The experts say "have some milk, yogurt, fruit" after a workout. Blah blah blah. What you need when you're that hungry is substance. And this bread fits the bill. Plus it is fruit. Duh.  It has blueberries in it.

So, the next time you don't want to go to the gym, think of the end game: a yummy snack. Go get your sweat on, have a good snack, and then take a second and click HERE to vote for me. (You know I had to slip it in somewhere. Only a few days left, I promise.)



Print Friendly and PDFBlueberry Loaf
Printed from Crazy for Crust

Ingredients
¼ cup vegetable oil
2 tablespoons lemon juice
2 eggs
½ cup nonfat milk
1 ½ cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
¾ cup sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon lemon zest (optional)
1 cup blueberries, fresh or frozen (I like to use mini frozen ones)
1 teaspoon vanilla

Directions:
1.       Preheat oven to 350°. Grease a loaf pan with butter or nonstick cooking spray.
2.       Whisk flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt in a large bowl. Set aside.
3.       Whisk eggs and milk in a medium bowl. Stir in oil and lemon juice. Add wet ingredients to dry, stirring just until moist. Fold in the lemon zest and blueberries. Pour into pan.
4.       Bake about 40-50 minutes until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool completely.
5.       To make glaze: Whisk ½ cup powdered sugar, 1 tablespoon lemon juice, and ¼ teaspoon vanilla in a medium bowl. Pour over cooled blueberry loaf and let dry before slicing.

Yield: 1 loaf


Enjoy!



This recipe may be linked with:

MondayMingle Monday (Add a Pinch), Joy of DessertsTuesday2 Maids a Baking (2 Maids a Milking), Tea Party Tuesdays (Sweetology). WednesdayCast Party WednesdayMade It On Monday (Lark's Country Heart), This Chick Cooks.  ThursdaySweet Treats Thursday (Something Swanky), Chic-and-Crafty (Frugal Girls), Turning the Table Thursdays (Around My Family Table), Tasty Thursday (The How-To Mommy). FridaySweet Tooth Friday (Alli-n-son), I'm Lovin' it Fridays (TidyMom). SaturdaySweets for a Saturday (Sweet as Sugar Cookies). SundayA Well-Seasoned Life,Sharing Sundays (Everyday Sisters)

Labels: , ,

11 Comments:

At September 5, 2011 at 9:55 AM , Blogger Angie's Recipes said...

A very healthy and tasty blueberry loaf. Just read today that blueberries are good for heart and blood circulation.

 
At September 5, 2011 at 2:12 PM , Blogger Sue said...

I love how PACKED with blueberries this is! YUM!

 
At September 5, 2011 at 2:28 PM , Blogger kyleen said...

Mhmm, I love Blueberry Muffins so I think I'll love this loaf.

 
At September 5, 2011 at 8:05 PM , Blogger Lisa said...

That's like one giant blueberry muffin. I'd say you definitely earned yourself at least two pieces.

 
At September 7, 2011 at 12:38 PM , Blogger Michael Ann said...

This looks delicious!! I love quick breads and am always looking for new recipes to try.

http://thebiggreenbowl.blogspot.com

Ps loved the story that you wrote before the recipe!

 
At September 7, 2011 at 6:30 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Wow my husband was looking over my shoulder and said, yes...you need to make THAT (coming from a blueberry LOVER :) Thanks for sharing.

 
At September 8, 2011 at 8:31 PM , Blogger Joy @ Joy Of Desserts said...

Delicious. My husband and son are also going to want this blueberry bread. It will be a great pre-exercise carb load for our son. His coaches have him on protein shakes for after workouts. I voted for you again. :-) Thank you for sharing this recipe with me at Joy of Desserts. You're doing some intense walking. That's wonderful. I'll bet it's much more fun than a gym, especially with the companionship. Have a great weekend.

 
At September 9, 2011 at 8:59 AM , Blogger Sanghamitra Bhattacherjee(Mukherjee) said...

Fantastic recipe! It looks so yummy! Thanks for sharing. Hope to see you on my blog:)

 
At September 10, 2011 at 7:37 AM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

@Trish - Sweetology101
A husband endorsement is a good one! Thank you. :)

 
At September 10, 2011 at 7:54 AM , Anonymous BreAna {Sugar and Spice and All Things Iced} said...

This bread looks delicious! I hate working out! But this is yet another reason why I need to...so I can eat all these yummy goodies.

 
At September 11, 2011 at 4:50 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

@BreAna {Sugar and Spice and All Things Iced}
Oh, I know what you mean! Thank you for reading. :)

 

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment! Reading your comments is better than eating pie...and if you know me that's saying a lot. :)

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home