21 August 2011

Apple Oreos


Last week my daughter started first grade. First. Grade.

Sigh.

Wait a minute. I'm having a flashback to my post about when she ended Kindergarten. I think I said the same thing. I guess I'm nothing if not predictable.

I mean, in first grade she's with big kids. On the playground. When I dropped her off on the second day she went out to play on the yard first. With, seemingly, every other kid in the school. I lost sight of her after about 10 seconds and about had an anxiety attack right there on the blacktop. Usually on playgrounds I can see her whenever I bother to look (just kidding, of course).

So, now that she's in first grade, the first thing people like to say to me is "What are you going to do with all that free time???"

(Let me preface this by saying I worship you working moms. I mean, I know my mental capacity and it doesn't include that. You ladies are amazing.)

Here is a list of things I plan to do with my free time:

1. Clean my house. Like, really clean it. Not shove things under the bed and in the closet because I'm rushing since my daughter is on her seventh iCarly of the day.

2. Grocery shop, go to Target, run to the mall to find the exact pair of Sporty Shorty Light UP! sneakers that they show in commercials on iCarly, then run back to Target again because they called about a prescription after I'd already left.

3. Bake, photograph, photo edit, and blog. While I'm alone. So that my daughter knows what I look like from the eyes down (all that she can see of me while I spend endless hours behind the computer screen). Oh, and so that I don't have to listen to the 19th iCarly of the day. Because my daughter can impersonate Sam to the T, and that scares me a little.

4. Eat bon bons and watch trashy reality TV. Otherwise known in the business world as a "lunch break."

5. Continue making a bulletin board at school because no one else stepped up to volunteer and when I asked the principal who was taking over he said (chuckling)..."Um...you?"

6. Make wonderful treats like these Apple Oreo Cookies for the teachers because I am now the Hospitality Chair on the PTC Committee. (Yes, I am a sucker. Let's paint a big PTC bullseye on my forehead, shall we?)

These Oreos are a great way to say hello or thank you to a teacher. Or, make them for your kids. They'll love them. And, if you're not making 75 of them, they are super easy.


First, you have to make your apples. I used red and green candy melts (Wilton). I found the mold online at Custom Chocolate Shop. You can also find them at Country Kitchen Sweet Art.


Then you need to cover your Oreos with a nice warm coat of chocolate. I like using a mold I got at An Occasional Chocolate, but if you don't have a mold you can just dip them.

Now, you have this:


Just attach the apples to the Oreos with a dab of melted chocolate.


Wrap them up pretty and you have a wonderful teacher gift!


To all you teachers out there: thank you for what you do. You deserve so much more than you get and I hope your year is full of good students and good treats.

************

In case you missed my shameless self-promotion yesterday, I've been nominated for a Most Valuable Blogger Award here in Sacramento. If you like me and want to help me out, please consider voting for me!

Here is the link:
http://sacramento.blogger.cbslocal.com/most-valuable-blogger/blog/449-crazy-for-crust/
It only takes a few seconds. There is no sign-in required and you can vote once a day through September 9th. Thank you so much for your vote!

Now, back to your regularly scheduled recipe...

Apple Oreos
Recipe by Crazy for Crust

Ingredients:
Red candy melts (Wilton or other)
Green candy melts
Chocolate candy melts, chips, or almond bark
Oreo Cookies


Directions:

  1. To make the apples: melt the red and green candy melts and place them in a squeeze bottle (can be found at stores like Michaels). I find that working with a squeeze bottle is cleaner and easier. Squeeze some red into the apple mold for the apple, green for the stem. Tap it on the counter a few times to settle the candy and then freeze until hardened (about 3-5 minutes). They should easily release.
  2. To make the chocolate dipped Oreos: melt your chocolate in a large microwave safe bowl. You can dip the Oreos directly in the chocolate or you can use a mold. If you are using a mold, squeeze (from a bottle) or spoon some chocolate onto the base of the mold. Tap to level. Add the Oreo and cover with more chocolate. Tap to cover and freeze until hardened (about 5 minutes).
  3. Attach the apples to the Oreos with a dab of melted chocolate.
Yield: One 14 ounce bag of chocolate melts will cover about half of a 16-ounce package of Oreos (that's about 20-25 cookies). One bag of red candy melts will make about 40-50 apples (you will only need about half a bag of green melts for this many).


Happy Back to School!



This recipe may be linked with:
MondayMingle Monday (Add a Pinch), Joy of DessertsTuesday2 Maids a Baking (2 Maids a Milking), Tea Party Tuesdays (Sweetology). WednesdayCast Party WednesdayMade It On Monday (Lark's Country Heart), This Chick Cooks.  ThursdaySweet Treats Thursday (Something Swanky), Chic-and-Crafty (Frugal Girls), Turning the Table Thursdays (Around My Family Table), Tasty Thursday (The How-To Mommy). FridaySweet Tooth Friday (Alli-n-son), I'm Lovin' it Fridays (TidyMom). SaturdaySweets for a Saturday (Sweet as Sugar Cookies). SundayA Well-Seasoned Life, Sharing Sundays (Everyday Sisters)

Labels: , , ,

22 Comments:

At August 21, 2011 at 6:49 PM , Anonymous Mama J said...

ADORABLE!

 
At August 21, 2011 at 7:39 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

@Mama J
Thank you! :)

 
At August 21, 2011 at 8:14 PM , Blogger Two Minute Takes said...

Love these! Love that you are involved in your daughter's school and when you have time at home, your list of what you plan to do is great (made me chuckle a bit). Hope your daughter enjoys Grade 1 and hope you enjoy your *free time* LOL

 
At August 21, 2011 at 8:29 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

cute, cute, cute! What a clever and wonderful 3-D effect!

 
At August 21, 2011 at 10:51 PM , Blogger Lucia Metcalf said...

gorgeous!

 
At August 22, 2011 at 3:11 AM , Anonymous E @ Act Fast Chef said...

Wow that is awesome! They are beautiful and I bet they are delicious too!

 
At August 22, 2011 at 6:41 AM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

@Lula
Thank you!

@E @ Act Fast Chef
They for sure are good - chocolate covered Oreos rock! Thanks for reading!

 
At August 22, 2011 at 9:25 AM , Blogger justjenn said...

Love this idea Dorothy!

 
At August 22, 2011 at 3:04 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Ya know this looks so awesome…I want make some RIGHT NOW and would be perfect for back to school..just need the MOLD! You are invited to link this up at Tea Party Tuesday if you want! Thanks again and yum yum! http://sweetology101.blogspot.com/2011/08/tea-party-tuesday-special-tea-party.html

here from joy of desserts btw!

 
At August 22, 2011 at 4:10 PM , Blogger Joy @ Joy Of Desserts said...

:-) I see Trish just stopped by and invited you. If you don't know her already, she is really sweet and I consider her one of my good blog friends.

I just pinned your post to my "For Teachers" board on Pinterest. This is such a nice idea. I love to send an occasional little gift to teachers just to let them know all their hard work is appreciated.

Congratulations on being nominated for Sacramento. :-) I just voted for you and added a +1 too.

Wishing your daughter a great school year. Nice light-hearted response to the "free-time" ladies.

 
At August 22, 2011 at 8:04 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

How cute are these cookies! They look amazing! Those teachers are pretty lucky having you on the PTC Committee. Good luck to your daughter in first grade...this is such a fun age. I am a kindergarten teacher and I love how excited kids are for school...so fun! :)

 
At August 22, 2011 at 11:51 PM , Blogger So Domesticated said...

I know how that is... volunteering and all! I bet the teachers were very excited to get these adorable treats!

 
At August 23, 2011 at 6:53 AM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

@sweetpeaskitchen.com
Thank you for your nice comment! You kindergarten teachers deserve a medal. It's amazing how much you get the kids to do between the first and last day. Have a great school year!

@So Domesticated
They did think they were cute. It makes me happy that they were happy. Thanks for your comment!

 
At August 25, 2011 at 4:04 AM , Blogger Curious Cook said...

OMG..Can it get anymore awesome..Oreos and more chocolate..This one is made for me. This one is most definitely getting made!

 
At August 25, 2011 at 9:44 PM , Anonymous evie @ brown paper packages said...

Those are adorable...and your post was pretty humorous! :) I can't imagine how I'll feel why my daughter is off to school either...aack.

 
At August 26, 2011 at 6:28 AM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

@Curious Cook
I agree! Oreos and Chocolate are SO awesome. :) Thanks for your comment!

@evie @ brown paper packages
Thank you and thank you. :) It's a hard stage, that's for sure.

 
At August 26, 2011 at 12:58 PM , Blogger tanja said...

Soooo cute :) Chocolate and Oreos.... Yum! Found your blog via Cast Party Wednesday and love it!!! You have a new follower :)

Have a wonderful weekend!
Tanja

 
At August 26, 2011 at 5:06 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

You've got some lucky teashers. These are really cool.
Thanks for sharing at Cast Party Wednesday. I hope you will join me again next week for another great party filled with amazing recipes!

 
At August 28, 2011 at 2:46 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

@tanja
Thank you! I'm glad to have you. :)

 
At August 31, 2011 at 10:20 AM , Anonymous Katie @ Dip It In Chocolate said...

Stinkin'. Cute. You know how I love Oreos! Am I horrible if I can't WAIT for my oldest to start school? I know I will probably bawl like a baby when the time finally comes around, but right now a few hours to myself sounds dang good!

 
At August 31, 2011 at 11:18 AM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

@Katie @ Dip It In Chocolate
Oh, the time is priceless. I was sad when she started...until I realized I could now do all my stuff without the guilt. :)

 
At November 24, 2011 at 11:44 AM , Anonymous xlpharmacy reviews said...

They are beautiful and I bet they are delicious too!

 

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment! Reading your comments is better than eating pie...and if you know me that's saying a lot. :)

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home