10 August 2011

Brown Sugar


Raise your hand if you've ever had one of those days. You know, the ones where things just don't go the way they were planned?

Like, you get to the gym and realize you've forgotten your cell phone. Um, what is the point of being on the elliptical if you can't check email and read Facebook and tweet?

Or, you spend forever getting yourself and your kid ready for a swim play date at the scorching hot swimming pool with no shade and when you get there you realize (a) you've forgotten sunscreen or (b) the nice cold, icy water bottle is sitting on the counter...at home.

Or, maybe you're like me and are super organized with a grocery list organized by aisle and the coupons have all been properly loaded onto the savings card for the store. You spend an hour shopping and (what seems like that long) lugging groceries into the house in 100 degree heat.  Then you start baking cookies needed for the next morning only to realize you forgot to buy the brown sugar.

Well, now you have a solution. You can make your own brown sugar. Did you know that? I thought I had heard it somewhere (turns out it was Joy the Baker who told me) so I did a quick Google search and there it was.

The recipe for brown sugar.

All right there on my computer screen.

No last minute run to the store. No crying that I just spent half my day making lists and shopping and putting away groceries only to have to get in my car and go there again.


All you need is one tablespoon molasses for each one cup sugar. That's it. Stir it together (I used a fork) and voila! You have brown sugar. I baked with it and the cookies I was making tasted great; the same as with store-bought brown sugar.

So, now all you have to do is go check your pantry for molasses. You know you have some in there somewhere...right?

**********

Don't forget about my giveaway that ends this Friday! A $25 gift card to Sur la Table...just for being you!

Have a great day!

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

At August 10, 2011 at 4:57 PM , Blogger justjenn said...

Great tip!

 
At August 10, 2011 at 8:20 PM , Blogger The Better Baker said...

I love it! And did you know if you want DARK brown sugar, you just add a little more molasses? Such a handy tip! Stop by my blog when you can and check out a giveaway going on...http://thebetterbaker.blogspot.com/2011/08/500-fans-giveaway.html

 
At August 10, 2011 at 11:05 PM , Blogger Holly said...

This is an awesome tip-I'm gonna file this one for emergency brown sugar outtage;) thanks!!!

 

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment! Reading your comments is better than eating pie...and if you know me that's saying a lot. :)

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home