31 July 2012

Sugar Cookie Bark

Pin It


I bet that, if you're a blogger, I could say the name of an ingredient and you could immediately spout at least five things to make with it.


Like, if I shouted "REESE'S PEANUT BUTTER CUPS!" in a room at a food blogger conference I would immediately get responses like:


Stuffed Cupcakes!
Stuffed Cookies!
Pudding!
Pie!
Cheesecake!
Ice Cream!
Rice Krispie Treats!
Truffles!


Am I right?


It would be like brainstorming gone mad.


But what about when the ingredient is the dessert? Makes it a little harder.


Like, for example, sugar cookies.


When I think "sugar cookie," I think cute designs and royal icing. I think about Christmas.


{I mean, sure I think about pie crust too, doesn't everyone?}


But if you want a treat that actually tastes like a sugar cookie, it's a little harder.


My step-father-in-law (that's a mouthful, let's call him M), loves sugar cookies.


Like, really loves them.


So, every year for his birthday and Christmas I make him some.


But really, I can't just make sugar cookies anymore.


{Except at Christmas. Not making them then would be sacrilege.}


In blog-land-life, when you make stuff like carrot cake cinnamon rolls and ICEE cupcakes, you can't just make a sugar cookie a second time (says the little voice in my head).


Besides, I did that last year. But I made it a bar cookie.


So this year, when M's birthday rolled around I was stumped.


And then I remembered Shelly's Brownie Batter Bark.


And I realized how I'd create another good sugar rush for the man who can eat an entire batch of cookies without gaining an ounce.




Enter sugar cookie dough and white candy melts.


Add some sprinkles and you've got a super sweet sugar cookie dessert.


That's not a sugar cookie.


But kinda is.




I can't wait to try the other options for this.


I'm sure it involves Reese's Peanut Butter Cups.


And, maybe, pie.



Sugar Cookie Bark
by Crazy for Crust (Inspired by Cookies and Cups)

Ingredients
  • 1 pouch sugar cookie mix
  • 1 stick butter, softened
  • 2 tablespoons milk
  • 24 ounce package white candy melts
  • Sprinkles
Instructions
  1. Line a cookie sheet with waxed paper and set aside.
  2. Mix sugar cookie mix, butter, and milk in a medium bowl. Melt half your candy melts and spread in an even layer on cookie sheet. Top evenly with cookie dough and press to spread across candy, leaving an edge of candy around the dough. Chill for about 10 minutes.
  3. Melt remaining candy melts. Pour over top of chilled sugar cookie dough. Spread evenly to cover dough. Cover with sprinkles and chill until hardened. Break apart and enjoy!
Powered by Recipage


Enjoy, and thanks for reading!

I link up to all of these fabulous parties each week!
Chef in TrainingTrick or Treat TuesdayCast Party WednesdaySweet Treats ThursdayChic-and-CraftyTastetastic ThursdaySweet Tooth FridayI'm Lovin' it FridaysSweets for a SaturdayA Well-Seasoned LifeStrut your Stuff Saturday, Weekend Wrap Up Party, Weekend Potluckand all of these too!

Labels: ,

50 Comments:

At July 31, 2012 at 6:18 PM , Blogger Back for Seconds said...

I love this idea, Dorothy! And I love peanut butter cups ;) you just gave me a great idea...

 
At July 31, 2012 at 6:19 PM , Blogger Ashley @ Kitchen Meets Girl said...

OMG. Must make immediately.

 
At July 31, 2012 at 6:24 PM , Blogger Michael said...

So crazy interesting....

 
At July 31, 2012 at 6:34 PM , Blogger Hayley @ The Domestic Rebel said...

Dudes and dudettes, it is CRAZY good. Super sweet, crunchy yet smooth... Let's just sum it up entirely with the adjective "heavenly" because it most certainly is. Dorothy, you rock. I'm glad you're neurotic like me :)

 
At July 31, 2012 at 7:08 PM , Anonymous Averie @ Averie Cooks said...

this is PERFECT! cookie dough, bark, sprinkles, nobake - love everything about it!

 
At July 31, 2012 at 7:18 PM , Blogger keatseatsblog said...

I LOOOOOOOOOOOVE this! I've been brainstorming ways to make that recipe differently too-- this is PERFECT!! Way to nail it on the head :) Beautiful pics too.

 
At July 31, 2012 at 7:49 PM , Blogger Dwell on Joy said...

Pinning...I'd like a box of this delivered ASAP! I think I will make it for my son's birthday party favors for Friday! Thanks for the great idea! I agree the pics are gorgeous!

 
At July 31, 2012 at 8:24 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Ummm, yes. And more. And then I want to eat again. And maybe again after that until I die a happy sugary coma death. Please.

 
At July 31, 2012 at 8:41 PM , Blogger Susan said...

Dorothy, I love how your mind thinks!! What a great idea and I bet "M" loved the new version. This is a definite try and by the way, sign me up for the "Think Tank!!"

 
At July 31, 2012 at 8:59 PM , Blogger kyleen said...

Sugar cookie bark is genius! It looks so delicious.

 
At July 31, 2012 at 9:45 PM , Blogger Jocelyn said...

Yup, you yell out an ingredient and my mind goes 10 different direction...food bloggers for ya:-) I am so with you too on only making something once! Sugar cookie bark...such a fun and awesome way to reinvent the cookie!!!

 
At August 1, 2012 at 1:35 AM , Blogger keri @ shaken together said...

Beyond awesome ... that's all :)

 
At August 1, 2012 at 5:52 AM , Blogger Danielle said...

Stopping by from the NY Melrose hop. Oh my goodness this looks deadly. Adding it to my "Recipes to Try" pinboard right now!!

 
At August 1, 2012 at 6:51 AM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

My feelings exactly!

 
At August 1, 2012 at 6:51 AM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

Thanks Averie! :)

 
At August 1, 2012 at 6:51 AM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

LOL! Total sugar coma on a plate. Thanks Lisa!

 
At August 1, 2012 at 6:51 AM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

Thanks Keri!

 
At August 1, 2012 at 6:52 AM , Blogger Yvonne @ StoneGable said...

These fun sweet bites look like there is a party going on! So cute and very very fun!
You are right about sugar cookies... and reeses peanut butter cups! The options are endless!
I love your pictures... makes me want to run out and make them NOW!
I would love you to join me for ON THE MENU MONDAY, my weekly linky foodie/recipe/menu party. I hope you will come over with your great recipes and share them with us! Link goes live Sunday evening at 8:00!

 
At August 1, 2012 at 7:25 AM , Blogger Jessica@AKitchenAddiction said...

What a great use for cookie dough!! Must try!

 
At August 1, 2012 at 7:31 AM , Blogger Ang said...

Hi! I'm loving this idea, your writing style - just everything about your blog! I'm pinning this, too. :) I’m stopping by from Whimsy Wednesday to say hello. I hope you’ll come visit me at jugglingactmama.blogspot.com

 
At August 1, 2012 at 7:52 AM , Anonymous whirl + whisk said...

This is such a great idea! I will be trying this one soon

 
At August 1, 2012 at 8:59 AM , Blogger Angela said...

I wonder if you could make them into balls and dip? But this way sounds much easier!

 
At August 1, 2012 at 9:08 AM , Blogger Karyn said...

Sounds great!! Love the sprinkles. So fun!

 
At August 1, 2012 at 10:54 AM , Anonymous sally @ sallys baking addiction said...

Wow Dorothy! What a sugar-filled insanely sprinkly dessert! I think my dentist would kil me with one bite! So worth it though., I am loving this. Sugar cookie anything (with tons of sprinkles) is my dream come true!

 
At August 1, 2012 at 10:54 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

no-bake sugar cookies I'M in {seriously cannot wait for the fall weather}

 
At August 1, 2012 at 2:02 PM , Anonymous Erin @ Dinners, Dishes and Desserts said...

Oh my!! I have a few guys in my life who would go crazy for this!!! My husband and FIL (and son for that matter), are pretty much sugar cookie addicts!!

 
At August 1, 2012 at 5:05 PM , Blogger Kristin said...

If this is anything like the sugar cookie fudge I've made, I'd eat the whole pile of it. What's the texture like?? It almost looks "cookie-ish".

 
At August 1, 2012 at 6:44 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

They totally would. I did! :) Thanks Erin!

 
At August 1, 2012 at 6:44 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

I know how you feel!!! :)

 
At August 1, 2012 at 6:45 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

I think mine would too! Thanks Sally!

 
At August 1, 2012 at 6:45 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

Yes! It's much like a cookie dough truffle but WAY easier to make!

 
At August 1, 2012 at 6:45 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

I hope you enjoy! Thanks so much!

 
At August 1, 2012 at 6:45 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

Thanks Jessica!

 
At August 1, 2012 at 6:46 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

Thanks for the invite and the sweet words Yvonne!

 
At August 1, 2012 at 7:03 PM , Blogger Michelle said...

Awesome! Yummm - I could sooo go for some of this right now!

 
At August 2, 2012 at 5:48 AM , Anonymous Jen @ Savory Simple said...

Those look gorgeous!

 
At August 2, 2012 at 6:22 AM , Blogger Nicky @ Pink Recipe Box said...

What a great idea! I'm totally with you on not being able to make the same treat twice. This is a fantastic twist on the classic.

 
At August 2, 2012 at 1:17 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

Thanks Jen!

 
At August 2, 2012 at 1:17 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

Thanks Nicola! Glad to hear I'm not alone!

 
At August 3, 2012 at 12:48 PM , Blogger Val said...

A perfect treat for the kiddies.

 
At August 3, 2012 at 4:31 PM , Blogger Big Rigs 'n Lil' Cookies said...

Love this idea! Will have to make for someones birthday treat :)

 
At August 3, 2012 at 7:45 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

Enjoy, and thanks!

 
At August 3, 2012 at 7:45 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

Yes, my kid loved it! :)

 
At August 4, 2012 at 1:39 PM , Blogger Our Pinteresting Family said...

Looks so yummy!

 
At August 4, 2012 at 9:32 PM , Blogger Dip It In Chocolate said...

I am betting your father in law pretty much loves you!

Looks fabulous.

 
At August 4, 2012 at 10:48 PM , Blogger Sue said...

What a winning treat! Can't go wrong where sugar cookies are involved:)

 
At August 5, 2012 at 3:22 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

Yes...but I'm betting not so much my MIL! :)

 
At August 5, 2012 at 4:00 PM , Blogger Crafty Mischief said...

Yum! I can't wait to try this!

 
At August 8, 2012 at 1:41 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

This looks wonderful! I can't wait to try it!!

 
At August 21, 2012 at 5:22 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just made this with my girls and everyone loves it! Thanks!

 

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment! Reading your comments is better than eating pie...and if you know me that's saying a lot. :)

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home