25 July 2012

Banana Cream Pie with Golden Oreo Crust

Pin It


Have you ever been to an Apple Store? The first time I went I was utterly confused, bewildered and captivated. Truth be told, it made me feel old and clueless.

Now that Apple is slowly taking over my life (phone, iPad, computer, router...) I am trying to embrace my new mecca.

Recently, on a rare night alone, we went window shopping.

Have you ever browsed at the Apple Store? It's like one of the those tactile playgrounds, but for adults.

At one point while my husband was playing with the Apple TV device, I told him I was going to shop "the wall," acting all cool and stuff because I was using store lingo.

I was captivated by what I found on the wall. Accessories for your iPad. The "Piperlime Accessories Wall" for computers, I guess.

Need to improve your golf swing? There's an app for that! It works with the iPad to immediately tell you if your swing sucks. All for the bargain price of $129.95.

Want the 2012 edition of the clapper? They make wireless devices you can plug into your lamps, fans, etc. and then control with your iPad. Only $99 for the start-up kit and $49 for each additional plug. (I kinda want this one.)

Need something for dad? You can buy a grill thermometer that will sound an alarm on your iOS device when your meat is ready. (Because walking away from your BBQ is a good idea...)

Two of my favorite products are for kids. One is the ColorStudio by Crayola. At first, I was totally stoked and came this close to buying it for Jordan. Until I realized there was a very real possibility I'd find her writing on the iPad with her sharpie...saying "oops, I didn't realize I was using the wrong pen."

Ditto the race cars that can be raced directly on the iPad. That just seems like a bad idea (albeit a cool one) to start with.

{Where's the app that can make dishes do themselves? Huh Apple? You best get on that one.}

And...pretty much everything on that accessories wall costs at least $50.

But it's all totally fun...which makes Apple the smartest people on earth.

Because if something is fun...people will buy it.

Or, in this case, eat it.

Because this pie is fun.


Sure it looks like just a regular old banana cream pie.

But it has a reeeealllly fun crust: Golden Oreos.

Or, crack.

Did you know that a bag of Golden Oreos is magical? It can disappear on its own in two days flat.

This pie is actually a recipe re-do of mine, with a twist. Please don't go looking for the original. It's...embarrassing, to say the least.

But pretty much in that original post, I talked about how I love banana but loathe banana chunks. So my pie has none. I also cook the bananas first in some brown sugar and butter, then puree them. Then I mix it with pudding and whipped cream to create a fluffy, sweet banana filling. Paired with the spiciness of the Golden Oreos this is a perfect cool summer treat.

It's crack pie. Left alone to willpower free devices, you will eat the whole thing. I should know.


And I don't think there's an app to help that. Yet anyway.

Banana Cream Pie with Golden Oreo Crust
by Crazy for Crust


Ingredients
    For the Crust
    • 25 Golden Oreos
    • 4 tablespoons butter, melted
    For the Whipped Cream
    • 1 cup cold heavy whipping cream
    • 1 tablespoon powdered sugar
    For the Banana Cream
    • 3 sliced tired bananas
    • 1 tablespoon butter
    • 1 tablespoon brown sugar
    • 1 box (3.4 ounces) banana pudding
    • About ½ cup milk
    • Fresh bananas, if desired
    Instructions
    Make the Crust
    1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Finely process Golden Oreos in a food processor. Stir crumbs with melted butter and press into a 9” pie plate. Bake 10 minutes, cool completely before filling.
    2. +Make the Whipped Cream+
Chill your bowl and beater for 10 minutes before starting. Add cold cream and powdered sugar to cold bowl and whip until stiff peaks form. Chill until ready to use.

    Make Banana Cream
    1. Melt butter in a medium sized frying pan. Add brown sugar and bananas and cook over low heat for five minutes, stirring occasionally. Cool slightly.
    2. Puree bananas (I use a hand blender, but you can do it in your regular blender). This makes about 1 ¼ cups of banana puree.
    3. Pour puree into a measuring cup. Add enough milk to make 1 ¾ cups liquid. Pour into a large bowl and add pudding. Whisk until combined.
    4. Fold about half of the whipped cream into the banana mixture. (If you like banana chunks in your pie, add some sliced bananas to your pie shell now.) Spread banana cream into cooled pie shell. Use remaining whipped cream to decorate the top of the pie. Store in refrigerator.
    Powered by Recipe


    Thanks for reading!


    {Apple has no idea who I am. I linked 'cuz I thought they were funny. But hey, Apple, if you can hear me...I'd loooove to work with you. :)}

    I link up to all of these fabulous parties each week!
    Chef in TrainingTrick or Treat TuesdayCast Party WednesdaySweet Treats ThursdayChic-and-CraftyTastetastic ThursdaySweet Tooth FridayI'm Lovin' it FridaysSweets for a SaturdayA Well-Seasoned LifeStrut your Stuff Saturday, Weekend Wrap Up Party, Weekend Potluckand all of these too!

    Labels: ,

    46 Comments:

    At July 25, 2012 at 6:06 PM , Anonymous Averie @ Averie Cooks said...

    I just happen to have golden oreos, bananas, and vanilla pudding on hand. Ironically, yesterday, in the groc store i had a box of banana cream flavor pudding in my hand, but put it back, thinking, when am i ever going to use this - got vanilla instead. The irony!

     
    At July 25, 2012 at 6:08 PM , Blogger Hayley @ The Domestic Rebel said...

    No app yet, but thank god this pie is real-life and NOT an app or a figment of my imagination. Golden Oreos rule. And I don't know why your magical bag have a two-day disappearance lag; mine go in a matter or mere hours around here. Seriously. Awesome. Plus, however did you know that banana cream was one of my faves? MMM.

     
    At July 25, 2012 at 6:21 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

    Too funny! You can totally use vanilla too. I think I did the first time I made this. Golden Oreos never last long at my house!

     
    At July 25, 2012 at 6:22 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

    Yeah, well, only one of us eats them. Her name starts with D and ends with orothy. :) I'll keep that in mind, next time you get half a pie. :)

     
    At July 25, 2012 at 6:32 PM , Blogger Tonii said...

    Ok...I officially love you now. My husband hates pie crust, so I ALWAYS make chocolate pies with oreo crust for him. This opens up a whole new world of pies I can make with golden oreo crust!! Thank you, thank you!!

     
    At July 25, 2012 at 6:48 PM , Blogger Robin @ Bird On A Cake said...

    What a great idea for the crust! Sounds fabulous!

     
    At July 25, 2012 at 6:53 PM , Blogger Laura said...

    Okay, I don't "do" bananas, but even *I* think that pie looks absolutely delish!

     
    At July 25, 2012 at 7:22 PM , Blogger Michael said...

    Mmmm, love banana cream pie. And with an oreo crust? Yes please!

     
    At July 25, 2012 at 7:42 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

    LOL! Thanks Laura!!

     
    At July 25, 2012 at 7:58 PM , Blogger Elizabeth said...

    Is it bad that I like golden oreos better than regular?
    ...

     
    At July 25, 2012 at 9:43 PM , Blogger Kristin said...

    I like the Inside Out Oreos too. I mean, actually, if it's an Oreo, I'll eat it. I've never had banana pie. (Me and fruit desserts don't mix) But this might be something to try soon!

     
    At July 25, 2012 at 10:16 PM , Blogger Jocelyn said...

    What a fun twist to use the golden oreos in the crust...sounds purely delicious!!! I love banana cream pie, as long as the bananas are firm. No slimy chunks for me either! Any kind of oreo is hard to keep in this house...usually gone within the day!!!

     
    At July 25, 2012 at 10:48 PM , Blogger Shirley said...

    I haven't jumped on the Apple bandwagon yet, aside from having an iPod from a few years ago. I'm tempted by the iPad, if not for that pricetag! I have a weakness for banana cream pie, and your piped cream swirls are just too pretty. I don't think I've ever had a Golden Oreo, but it all looks really good.

     
    At July 25, 2012 at 11:07 PM , Blogger Tiffany said...

    Yum oh yum oh YUM! That's all I can say about that. :)

     
    At July 26, 2012 at 5:25 AM , Anonymous sue @ Cakeballs, cookies and more said...

    first, that pie looks so good, I must try it. Secondly apple scares me, too many neat things that I would hardly know what to do with. My most favorite to use my iphone for? Playing solitaire, hubby makes fun of me for it.

     
    At July 26, 2012 at 5:47 AM , Blogger Winnie said...

    Love this pie - looks fantastic! And I also prefer cookie-crust (not just Oreo)

     
    At July 26, 2012 at 6:22 AM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

    That's funny Sue - I think the first thing my husband downloaded on the iPad was Spider Solitaire! He can't have it on his work computer so now he can play it there, lol. Thanks so much for visiting!

     
    At July 26, 2012 at 6:23 AM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

    Thanks Winnie, me too, I think!

     
    At July 26, 2012 at 6:23 AM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

    They are SO good Shirley! You must try them. Thanks for visiting!

     
    At July 26, 2012 at 6:24 AM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

    Nope. ME TOO!

     
    At July 26, 2012 at 6:57 AM , Blogger The Cooking Actress said...

    In general, banana cream pie isn't my favorite. HOWEVER-this is a special banana cream pie. This looks so crazy good I can't even handle it!

     
    At July 26, 2012 at 8:06 AM , Anonymous sally @ sallys baking addiction said...

    I agree, Golden Oreos are indeed magical Dorothy! So glad we share a love for them. :) And there is just nothing like banana cream pie. What a fierce combination ;)

     
    At July 26, 2012 at 8:16 AM , Blogger Ellen @ BakeItWithBooze said...

    Never heard of cooked and pureed banana is a BCP...WOW! This sounds devine. :)

     
    At July 26, 2012 at 8:20 AM , Anonymous Shawn @ I Wash...You Dry said...

    LOL, I would be all over the app that did my dishes!! This pie looks so good Dorothy! Yum!

     
    At July 26, 2012 at 12:21 PM , Blogger Back for Seconds said...

    You cook the bananas in BROWN SUGAR first?? Oh yum! It's like bananas foster in PIE. Sounds amazing and it just so happens that I have an app for making pies disappear. Go ahead and send me one and I'll show you how it works ;)

     
    At July 26, 2012 at 12:43 PM , Blogger Carole said...

    This week on Food on Friday, we are collecting ideas for using bananas. Would you be happy to link this in? Here is the link .
    PS I found this via Live.Laugh.Rowe

     
    At July 26, 2012 at 4:36 PM , Blogger Dip It In Chocolate said...

    Should I admit I've never bought golden Oreo's before? They always just seemed so inferior to chocolate ones... I think you've sufficiently convinced me I need to try them!

     
    At July 26, 2012 at 6:21 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

    Thanks! In general...I don't like it either. I think it has to do with the bananas. LOL.

     
    At July 26, 2012 at 6:21 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

    Thanks Sally! GO lovers rock. :)

     
    At July 26, 2012 at 6:22 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

    Thanks Shawn!

     
    At July 26, 2012 at 6:22 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

    Thanks Carole!

     
    At July 26, 2012 at 6:22 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

    Oh. I like them SO MUCH BETTER. It's hard to admit that!

     
    At July 26, 2012 at 7:07 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

    Sound divine. Gets me to thinking of using the golden oreo crust for all kinds of cream pies...coconut...banana...chocolate.... Yum! I'd love to have you link this up to Titus 2 Tuesday on Cornerstone Confessions. Hope to see you there.

    Kathy

     
    At July 26, 2012 at 8:53 PM , Blogger Ashley @ Kitchen Meets Girl said...

    I JUST got my first Apple product (iphone) and I have to admit, I'm sort of obsessed--it's pretty awesome. I have no idea how to use it yet, though, ha ha. I'm too old for all of this "app" stuff!

    Also awesome? This pie. I love banana cream, and with the golden oreo crust--EEK! SO.GOOD.

     
    At July 26, 2012 at 10:22 PM , Blogger The Mandatory Mooch said...

    This sounds great...bananas + golden oreos = yummy!! I'd love to have you link this up to Tasty Thursdays on The Mandatory Mooch. It's a new linky party...still has 4 days left. Hope to see you there. Thanks, Nichi
    http://mandatorymooch.blogspot.com/2012/07/tasty-thursdays-1.html

     
    At July 27, 2012 at 12:32 PM , Anonymous Britni @ Hubby Made Me said...

    I didn't even know there were Golden Oreos! Where have I been??!! This looks delicious and oh so pretty. I'd love if you shared this {and anything else you'd like} at my Throwback Thursday link party. Hope to see you there! Thanks so much for sharing. :) http://www.hubbymademe.com/throwback-thursday-no-3/

     
    At July 27, 2012 at 6:36 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

    Lol, you totally get used to it! Thanks Ashley!

     
    At July 28, 2012 at 10:34 AM , Blogger Kathy Penney said...

    Yummy looking summer pie! And the post was written really well- informative but funny. Love!

     
    At July 30, 2012 at 8:05 AM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

    Thanks Kathy!

     
    At July 30, 2012 at 9:50 AM , Blogger Christina @ Still Lucky said...

    I love golden oreo's! Delicious!

     
    At July 30, 2012 at 9:12 PM , Blogger The Mandatory Mooch said...

    Thank you so much for linking up to Tasty Thursdays last week. Hope to see
    you again this week!!
    Nichi - The Mandatory Mooch

     
    At August 1, 2012 at 7:17 PM , Blogger Sweet Twist - Meg said...

    I love mixing up cookie crusts!! I could eat a nice big piece of that!

     
    At August 2, 2012 at 1:17 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

    Me too. :) Thanks Meg!

     
    At August 4, 2012 at 4:15 PM , Anonymous Ruth said...

    Dorothy, I'm so excited to have found Crazy for Crust! (Thanks, SacramentoBloggers.com!) I'm having a great time looking through your recipes. Your pictures look great--giving me hope that I can get by with my Canon PowerShot for a bit longer, too.

     
    At August 5, 2012 at 3:19 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

    Thanks Ruth! Welcome to my sugar. :)

     
    At August 28, 2012 at 4:18 AM , Anonymous buy triactol said...

    This most up-to-date item from Smith Meyers Laboratories is an organic solution to bust enhancement. No one wishes to make use of everything synthetic on such a delicate location, so it is excellent to know that Triactol breast serum is based upon the herb pueraria mirifica. This herb has actually been utilized as an organic solution for years throughout south-east Asia, and in particular is utilized in the battle against the consequences of maturing on the chest. Additional popular active ingredients consist of supplement E, miroestrol as well as isoflavenoids.

     

    Post a Comment

    Thank you for your comment! Reading your comments is better than eating pie...and if you know me that's saying a lot. :)

    Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

    << Home