24 July 2012

Carrot Cake Cinnamon Rolls

Pin It

I have decided that I want to live in a city where I can walk to everything: stores, restaurants, entertainment. Aside from the fact that this would be infinitely more fun than living in suburbia land  (where "exciting" is the fact that they are paving the streets around my house soon and we will be jockeying for off cul-de-sac parking like women at a sample sale), I would not need a car.

Now, don't get me wrong. I love having a car. I love the freedom it gives me.

{Hear that car? I still love you, please don't be offended by this post.}

What I don't love about car ownership is the cost. I mean, the cost aside from buying it in the first place, which has gotten exceedingly ridiculous if you have looked at cars lately.  Cars seem to age like women do: good with regular maintenance until a certain age, and then everything starts to fall apart all at once.

{I speak from experience, people. I mean, who knew 34 could be so hard on a girl?}

First you need new tires. Fine. Then brakes. Okey dokey. Those are to be expected, right?

Then the A/C needs help. So you spend a few hundred getting that fixed. But it still doesn't work right...and then the alternator goes.  You'd think once you got that all taken care of, everything would be fine. Until it starts to squeak.

At this point, drained of money and patience, I just tend to roll up the windows and turn on the radio. Poof. Sound gone.

So yeah. I think I want to live in a place where I don't need a car. Because I would much rather buy butter, sugar, and chocolate than pay for a pesky timing belt.


We all know how much my husband likes carrot cake. When I make him treats I want him to eat, I either do peanut butter or carrot cake. He got both for his birthday last week. These were for breakfast. And, yes, he ate one!


I reeeallllly like this cinnamon roll dough. Yes, it takes time...but it's sooooo worth it. It's a sweet, rich egg dough that you fill with a sugary, cinnamony filling. I added carrots and ginger to the filling...to make it more carrot-cake-like. Then you add a nice helping of cream cheese icing, and well, perfection ensues.


I promise you...even if you don't like carrot cake (ahem...I know who you are ladies...) you will like these. Cream cheese frosting hides the evidence...but see those little flecks? Yup, carrots. That makes these totally healthy. Carrots for breakfast!


Carrot Cake Cinnamon Rolls
by Crazy for Crust (Recipe adapted from Baked Bree)


Ingredients
    For the dough
    • 1 1/8 teaspoon yeast (half a packet)
    • 1/2 cup warm milk (microwave for 30 seconds)
    • 1/4 cup sugar
    • 2 1/2 tablespoons butter, room temperature
    • 1/2 teaspoon salt
    • 1 egg
    • 2-3 cups flour (I used 2 1/2)
    For the filling
    • 3 tablespoons butter, softened
    • 1/2 cup brown sugar
    • 1 tablespoon cinnamon
    • 1/8 ginger
    • Heaping 1/4 cup shredded carrots (about 1 medium)
    • 2 teaspoons flour
    For the Icing
    • 1/2 package cream cheese
    • 2 tablespoons butter, softened
    • 1 teaspoon vanilla
    • 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
    Instructions
    1. Add the yeast to the warm milk and let it sit for five minutes, until it starts to foam.
    2. Mix the butter, sugar, salt, and eggs in the bowl of a mixer. (You can use a stand mixer or a hand mixer at this point.) Add the yeast/milk mixture.
    3. Add the flour slowly. Start with one cup and then add an additional cup. (I needed a total of two and half cups for the dough to come together.) You can use your dough hook for this step, or your hand mixer, but if you are using a hand mixer you will need to get your hands dirty towards the end to get all the flour mixed in.
    4. Once dough comes together, spray a large bowl with cooking spray, place the dough inside and cover with plastic wrap. Allow to rise until doubled in size, about 1-2 hours. (I do this the night before, and let it sit in the fridge overnight. In the morning, remove it from the refrigerator and let sit for a half hour or so.
    5. Make the filling by mixing all the ingredients in a medium bowl. Work the mixture with a fork until it comes together.
    6. Roll out the dough into a rectangle. Cut it in half along the longest side. Spread the dough on each half and then roll them up. Cover them with a kitchen towel and let rise for one hour. (You have two long rolls at this point.)
    7. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray a 12-cup muffin tin with cooking spray.
    8. Cut each roll in half, then cut each half in three pieces, for a total of 12 cinnamon rolls. Place one roll in each muffin tin slot. Bake about 10 minutes until golden.
    9. While the rolls are baking, make the frosting. Beat together cream cheese and butter. Slowly mix in powdered sugar and vanilla. Spread on warm cinnamon rolls.
    Powered by Recipage

    Do you love cinnamon rolls? Check out these other fab recipes:

    Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Cinnamon Rolls by The Domestic Rebel
    Mini Cake Batter Cinnamon Buns by Sally's Baking Addiction
    Oreo Truffle Cinnamon Rolls by Inside BruCrew Life
    Best Cinnamon Rolls by Something Swanky
    Cinnamon Cinnabun Cake by Shugary Sweets

    Enjoy!

    I link up to all of these fabulous parties each week!
    Chef in TrainingTrick or Treat TuesdayCast Party WednesdaySweet Treats ThursdayChic-and-CraftyTastetastic ThursdaySweet Tooth FridayI'm Lovin' it FridaysSweets for a SaturdayA Well-Seasoned LifeStrut your Stuff Saturday, Weekend Wrap Up Party, Weekend Potluckand all of these too!

    Labels: , ,

    68 Comments:

    At July 24, 2012 at 6:44 PM , Blogger Tracey @ The Kitchen Is My Playground said...

    Oh no you didn't!! These look divine, Dorothy. (And I love the new blog header.) :-)
    Tracey @ The Kitchen is My Playground

     
    At July 24, 2012 at 7:10 PM , Blogger Sweet Twist - Meg said...

    You are a genius!! These sound so awesome! Carrot cake is one of my favs.

    I hear your car pains as well we almost had to drop $4000 on a new battery for our car. The dealer stepped up and offered to cover it. PHEW!

     
    At July 24, 2012 at 7:25 PM , Anonymous Averie @ Averie Cooks said...

    I love everything involved - cake, cinn rolls, carrot cake, icing - they are so yummy looking!

     
    At July 24, 2012 at 7:43 PM , Blogger Trish - Mom On Timeout said...

    Genius Dorothy! Cars suck. Period. I'm looking at this thinking how I can use some zucchini in this recipe... ;) Have a great week!

     
    At July 24, 2012 at 7:44 PM , Blogger Hayley @ The Domestic Rebel said...

    Yeaaaaah, these look awesome and you know my carrot cake situation. Plus, if they got an Anti-Pepper Jordan endorsement, I figure I'll probably like them :)

     
    At July 24, 2012 at 7:45 PM , Blogger keatseatsblog said...

    O.M.G.

    Ok. So you know how I feel about Carrot Cake. And even so, I am pretty much BESIDE MYSELF with how genius this is!!!!! No, seriously. This is AMAZING. I'm even going to say-- my favorite CFC post of the year!!!!

     
    At July 24, 2012 at 7:59 PM , Blogger Lisa Boyle said...

    These look incredibly delicious! Too bad I am reading this at 11pm! I would make them now! :-) I'd love to have you join us and link this up at "Try a New Recipe Tuesday."
    Hope you're having a great week! Many blessings, Lisa :-)

     
    At July 24, 2012 at 8:10 PM , Blogger Mindy said...

    Wait, who doesn't like carrot cake!? I LOVE carrot cake. I also happen to love cinnamon rolls. They look like little bundles of heaven, meant especially for my mouth. Could you overnight me some so I can eat them with my coffee tomorrow morning? Thankyouverymuch.

     
    At July 24, 2012 at 8:58 PM , Blogger Jocelyn said...

    mmmm...carrot cake rolls!! You are pure evil to post this when I can't make it for a few days:-) They sound totally awesomesauce!!! Going to make these for sure:-)

     
    At July 24, 2012 at 9:08 PM , Blogger Foodiewife said...

    Ah, a marriage of two of my favorite cakes. Making homemade cinnamon rolls is a winter-tie treat in my kitchen. Don't you just love relishing the delicious center of each cinnamon roll? Love the idea of carrots. Healthy? Yeah, okay. LOL

     
    At July 25, 2012 at 1:13 AM , Blogger keri @ shaken together said...

    Sigh ... every time I think I can attempt a low carb diet, you make something like this ... these sound absolutely DIVINE :) Pinned!!

     
    At July 25, 2012 at 3:59 AM , Blogger Sugar Swings said...

    oh yeah, a mashup of 2 of my favs! great job!

     
    At July 25, 2012 at 4:57 AM , Blogger Michael said...

    This looks great Dorothy! Love it all. And 34? You're just rubbing it in, hehe!!!

     
    At July 25, 2012 at 5:11 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

    That dough looks seriously fluffy and moist! Okay, I recently made pie crust for the 1st time so I can pull this off, right? :)

     
    At July 25, 2012 at 5:51 AM , Anonymous Sue @ Cakeballs, cookies and more said...

    oh I hear you on the car, mine always makes squealing noises when I first drive and use the breaks, then it's fine. The auto shop I go to is great, they say they are perfect, just the moisture builds up as it sits or something, anyway I call it my "trashy" car as I am also missing a hub cap, I try to not look at people so they don't know I know how bad it looks. I plan to win the lottery then buy a nicer used car, but then have a driver with a limo, that is totally reasonable no? And I will also hire you to make these for me, they look amazing.

     
    At July 25, 2012 at 5:58 AM , Blogger allisamazing said...

    What a unique idea and they look delicious!

     
    At July 25, 2012 at 6:02 AM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

    Thanks Meg! You're sweet. $4000? OUCH.

     
    At July 25, 2012 at 6:02 AM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

    Thanks Averie!

     
    At July 25, 2012 at 6:03 AM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

    LOL, yeah she liked them even though she "hates carrots." :)

     
    At July 25, 2012 at 6:03 AM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

    Thanks Lisa, you too!

     
    At July 25, 2012 at 6:04 AM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

    LOL, thanks. Yeah, low carb...not gonna happen here, ha!

     
    At July 25, 2012 at 6:04 AM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

    YES! It's so easy. I used to be afraid of yeast, I'm so not anymore. :)

     
    At July 25, 2012 at 6:05 AM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

    I hear you Sue! My car has lots of "distinguishing" marks that I've given her over the years. :/ LOL Thanks so much!

     
    At July 25, 2012 at 7:01 AM , Anonymous Erin @ The Spiffy Cookie said...

    Such a great variation of cinnamon rolls. These would be wonderful come easter too

     
    At July 25, 2012 at 7:36 AM , Blogger Jessica@AKitchenAddiction said...

    I love carrot cake, but carrot cake in cinnamon roll form?! WOW! I need these in my life!

     
    At July 25, 2012 at 7:41 AM , Anonymous Monet said...

    Hi lovely! I am not sure if my last comment went through...but what I said was this: both these rolls and your blog look incredible. I can't wait to make a batch. And I am all about walking too

     
    At July 25, 2012 at 8:16 AM , Blogger Mary Bergfeld said...

    What a lovely treat. Anyone who eats them will be charmed. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

     
    At July 25, 2012 at 8:50 AM , Anonymous Anna @ CrunchyCreamySweet said...

    Need about a dozen right now... Pretty please? :)

     
    At July 25, 2012 at 8:54 AM , Anonymous sally @ sallys baking addiction said...

    Grrrr, I soo wish I could live car-free too. My car is about 8 years old and the maintenance kills me. Much rather spend my $$ on baking ingredients lol! Thanks for linking up Dorothy. Your cinnamon buns (made from scratch!!) look heavenly. I love carrot cake. :)

     
    At July 25, 2012 at 9:17 AM , Blogger Back for Seconds said...

    I hear ya! I'd like to be car free too...most of the time. I am obsessed with cinnamon rolls. These look awesome! Cream cheese icing makes everything yummy - even if you don't like carrot cake, how could you not like these?

     
    At July 25, 2012 at 9:32 AM , Blogger Delightfully Curious Designs said...

    I'M GOING TO HAVE TO TRY THESE OUT ON MY NEPHEW JOSH, HE LOVES CARROT CAKE, IT IS HIS FAVORITE SINCE HE WAS LITTLE. WHAT A GREAT IDEA. GENIUS!!

     
    At July 25, 2012 at 9:43 AM , Blogger Kristin said...

    My husband and I would each eat 3 and then spend the rest of the morning laying on the couch picking at the leftovers. Which is why I don't make cinnamon rolls.
    Sometimes, when I'm in a walking city, I get all, "I'd love to live here with my cross body bag and cute little grocery stores on the corners" and then it gets cold out and I want my car and a Wal-Mart for cheap(er) groceries.

     
    At July 25, 2012 at 2:09 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

    Holy yum! Strange that you've posted cinnamon rolls as I was watching the Man Vs Food dpi (again) a few nights ago where he was making the giant cinnamon rolls and I've been wanting to make them a while and decided I'm definitely doing it yesterday and hey presto cinnamon rolls! :)

    These are so much better being carrot cake though. My fella goes wild over carrot cake! And now you've provided me with the ammunition (or rather, recipe) to defeat these puppies! Can't wait to make them now!

    -Lisa
    Sweet 2 Eat Baking

     
    At July 25, 2012 at 2:36 PM , Blogger FeauxCajun said...

    Ohhhhh my. I love carrot cake. This shall be tried.

     
    At July 25, 2012 at 2:37 PM , Blogger Tonii said...

    Oh dear. These look so fantastic! I love carrot cake and cinnamon rolls too! I tried pumpkin cinnamon rolls last year and loved them...I think I would feel the same way about these! Thanks for sharing.

     
    At July 25, 2012 at 5:13 PM , Blogger Erin said...

    I'm in! Not a huge carrot cake fan (sorry) but in a cinnamon roll? Heck yeah! I'll take 2!

     
    At July 25, 2012 at 5:41 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

    Totally!!!

     
    At July 25, 2012 at 5:42 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

    Me too! :) Thanks Jessica!

     
    At July 25, 2012 at 5:44 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

    Thanks Sally!! Maintenance...yuck! My car is about the same age. Sigh.

     
    At July 25, 2012 at 5:46 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

    I hope you enjoy!

     
    At July 25, 2012 at 5:52 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Cinnamon rolls are my favorite, and definitely worth the extra prep to make from scratch. And I love that there are carrots in this! It makes them healthy enough to eat two...right? :) PS: Let's not even talk about cars. Mine is always a disaster.

     
    At July 25, 2012 at 8:44 PM , Blogger The Better Baker said...

    You are a genius to combine two of MY favorite things too..your hubby has got it made! =)

     
    At July 25, 2012 at 8:57 PM , Blogger The Daily Smash said...

    These look amazing.. What a great blog check out mine if you get a min :)

    www.thedailysmash101.blogspot.com

     
    At July 26, 2012 at 5:19 AM , Blogger Shannon said...

    I love the way these look and sound! We go through 2+ pounds of carrots a week with just my husband and son and they would devour these in a second. I think I may make them this weekend! Thanks for sharing!

     
    At July 26, 2012 at 6:28 AM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

    Thanks Shannon! Enjoy!

     
    At July 26, 2012 at 9:57 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

    cinnamon rolls and carrot cake - double yum! what an incredible clever and delicious idea

     
    At July 26, 2012 at 12:22 PM , Blogger Nicole @WonkyW said...

    I always click on your tasty treats at the link parties! Another amazingly delicious recipe. I love carrot cake! Visiting from Domesblissity linkup :)

     
    At July 26, 2012 at 1:37 PM , Blogger Angie said...

    Could there be any better combination?? My mouth is watering just reading this post. New follower to your blog! Hope you will stop over for a visit! Angie

     
    At July 26, 2012 at 1:39 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

    THanks so much, and welcome!!

     
    At July 26, 2012 at 4:30 PM , Blogger Dip It In Chocolate said...

    This is such a unique idea. Not sure I can say no to them since they have *vegetables* and are all healthy and everything. ;)

     
    At July 26, 2012 at 6:20 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

    Right on! You can totally see the carrot flecks. Totally healthy!

     
    At July 26, 2012 at 7:02 PM , Blogger Daniela @Frugal Aint Cheap said...

    ok, I always look for recipes at night before going to bed...yum!

     
    At July 26, 2012 at 7:55 PM , Anonymous Mary Ellen said...

    Ooh we love cinnamon rolls! Have you tried this dough? You just toss it all in the bread machine and you're done!
    http://whisktogether.wordpress.com/2011/06/06/bread-machine-cinnamon-rolls/

     
    At July 26, 2012 at 8:47 PM , Blogger The Mandatory Mooch said...

    These look great. What a wonderful combo of ingredients!! I'd love to have you link this up to Tasty Thursdays on The Mandatory Mooch. It's a new linky party still open for 4 more days. Hope to see you there. Thanks, Nichi
    http://mandatorymooch.blogspot.com/2012/07/tasty-thursdays-1.html

     
    At July 27, 2012 at 9:41 AM , Anonymous Bibi @ Bibi's Culinary Journey said...

    I would love to live somewhere where I can walk or take public transport at least 50% of the time. Unfortunately, I live outside of small town so I need to drive everywhere and few times a day....especially having a teenager with busy social life and no driving license yet:)

    These carrot cake cinnamon rolls are out of this world.....what a genius idea:) I am sharing these everywhere,lol

     
    At July 27, 2012 at 1:26 PM , Blogger Sweet Bella Roos said...

    Yum! My mom LOVES carrot cake, will have to remember these. Your hubby doesn't like sweets either???? Gah, I swear every time I bake my husband might eat one or two bites only because I'm watching and waiting for a reaction haha! Thanks for linking up at Pin It Thursday

     
    At July 27, 2012 at 4:39 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

    Thanks for the recipe! We don't have a bread machine, so I have to do it all by hand. :)

     
    At July 27, 2012 at 6:14 PM , Blogger Tim, Allyson, and kids said...

    These sound delicious...and a great use for the carrots we have growing in the garden.

    We'd love for you to link up to our Finished Friday Blog Party.

     
    At July 27, 2012 at 6:36 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

    Thanks Bibi! Have a great weekend!

     
    At July 28, 2012 at 6:20 AM , Blogger Erin @ Chronic Christian Crafter said...

    This recipe sounds amazing...I'm going to have to try it with my husband...thanks so much for sharing!

    Erin

     
    At July 28, 2012 at 12:09 PM , Blogger Winnie said...

    These look amazing!
    I love working with yeast, and make cinnamon rolls quite often, but never thought of adding shredded carrots. What a great idea!

     
    At July 29, 2012 at 9:15 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

    Wow, now I am super ready for something delicious for breakfast! I love your creativity, now following!

    Hugs, Tanya

     
    At July 30, 2012 at 8:06 AM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

    Thanks Winnie! Yeast is one of my new favorite ingredients. :)

     
    At July 31, 2012 at 10:18 AM , Anonymous RavieNomNoms said...

    These look fantastic!

     
    At July 31, 2012 at 11:34 AM , Blogger Angela said...

    I'm just...so in love with this! I'm obsessed with all things carrot cake and you just took my obsession to the next level! Couldn't be happier to have discovered your blog!

     
    At July 31, 2012 at 3:44 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

    Thanks Angela! Welcome!

     
    At August 1, 2012 at 12:27 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

    These look fantastic! I love carrot cake and cinnamon rolls but never thought to combine them. You always have the best ideas! Thanks for sharing at Showcase Your Talent Thursday!

     
    At August 1, 2012 at 10:45 PM , Blogger Rebecca @ Herons Crafts said...

    These look amazing...I love carrot cake and cinnamon...cannot wait to try. Thanks for sharing! Rebecca @ heronscrafts.blogspot.com

     

    Post a Comment

    Thank you for your comment! Reading your comments is better than eating pie...and if you know me that's saying a lot. :)

    Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

    << Home