29 July 2012

Deep-Fried Fluffernutter Sandwich

Pin It

Can you believe I've never had a fluffernutter sandwich? I've never even had peanut butter and marshmallows together.

*Gasp*

I mean, I know I've got some strange eating habits (read: super pickiness) and there are a lot of things I've never tried (like brussel sprouts, beets, sushi, and kale).

But a dessert I've never tried? Blasphemy!

So when I received a copy of The Busy Mom's Cookbook by Antonia Lofaso and started flipping through the recipes, the deep-fried fluffernutter sandwich totally caught my eye. Finally! A reason to try marshmallow-banana-goodness.


You know who Antonia is, right? She was on Top Chef! I was SO excited to get my hot little hands on a copy of her book. I absolutely loved her on the show.

Her book is written for busy moms everywhere; the working mom, the stay-at-home mom, and all the moms in between. It's has 100 quick, home-cooked meals you can share with your kids. Some of them sound positively mouthwatering, like the lemon crepes. Or the Red Bliss Potato and Onion Frittata. The book is full of meals and treats for the entire day, from breakfast to dessert. I'm totally making the Shrimp and Sausage Corn Chowder this fall. There's even an entire section devoted to leftovers: cook one night and eat for two!

Each recipe comes with a story about the food; whether it be an anecdote about her daughter or something from her childhood that inspired the recipe. All of the recipes sound totally doable too - not like some that have a gazillion unheard of ingredients. I love that; if I can't find it at Walmart, I don't want to have to go hunt for it.


And can I tell you that her Spiced Chocolate Pudding with Salted Whipped Cream and the Chocolate Banana Caramel Bread Pudding on totally on my list of to-make desserts, like, yesterday?




The fluffernutter sandwich was SO good. Dreamy. Like little bites of heaven. Jordan liked it so much she licked the entire thing so I couldn't have any more.


I'm serious.




Are you interested in your own copy of Antonia's book? You're in luck - it comes out this Thursday, August 2nd. You can pre-order it here.

Or...you could come back for Crazy Sweet Tuesday tomorrow. Because I get to give away a copy! Yay you! Then you can make Caramel-Almond Popcorn too. And this unbelievablygoodlickworthy sandwich.

Deep-Fried Fluffernutter Sandwich
by Crazy for Crust (From The Busy Mom's Cookbook by Antonia Lofaso)

Ingredients
  • 2 cups vegetable oil
  • 2 slices bread (I used King's Hawaiian Sliced)
  • 3 tablespoons peanut butter
  • 1/4 medium banana, thinly sliced
  • 5 tablespoons cold marshmallow fluff (freeze a few minutes before using)
  • 1/3 cup flour
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
  • Dash salt
  • Powdered sugar, for garnish
Instructions
  1. Heat the oil to 350 degrees in a 10-12" sauté pan, verifying the temperature with a candy thermometer. Have the oil hot and ready to go before the sandwich is made.
  2. While the oil is heating, spread the peanut butter on one slice of bread and top with banana. Spread the fluff on the other slice of bread and close to make a sandwich.
  3. Put the flour, eggs, and panko* in three separate pie plates or bowls big enough for your sandwich.
  4. Dust the entire sandwich with flour (including the sides and any fluff that is showing). Dip in the egg and then cover with the bread crumbs.
  5. Place sandwich in the hot oil and fry for about 2 minutes. Use two forks to flip it over and cook for another 2 minutes until golden. Remove from pan and place on a paper towel lined plate to drain. Sprinkle with salt and powdered sugar, slice it in half, and serve.

*I forgot to buy panko, so I used finely processed rice krispie cereal. It worked great!

Powered by Recipage


**I was generously given a copy of The Busy Mom's Cookbook to review. All opinions of the book are completely my own.**


I link up to all of these fabulous parties each week!
Chef in TrainingTrick or Treat TuesdayCast Party WednesdaySweet Treats ThursdayChic-and-CraftyTastetastic ThursdaySweet Tooth FridayI'm Lovin' it FridaysSweets for a SaturdayA Well-Seasoned LifeStrut your Stuff Saturday, Weekend Wrap Up Party, Weekend Potluckand all of these too!

Labels: ,

45 Comments:

At July 29, 2012 at 6:57 PM , Blogger Kristin said...

You're not missing much with beets. I can't even stand the smell of beet juice.
This looks like something they'd sell at the fair, next to the deep-fried butter :)
It really does look yummy though ( I might leave out the banana. Don't need fruit messing it up.)

 
At July 29, 2012 at 8:06 PM , Blogger Brittany said...

Yum!! Looks delicious!

 
At July 29, 2012 at 9:35 PM , Blogger Back for Seconds said...

Are you kidding me? This just had to be good! I like to eat grilled pb&j's and I bet with the marshmallow they get ooey gooey inside. Yum! Jordan, hahahaha!!

 
At July 29, 2012 at 10:26 PM , Blogger Susan said...

This is just what I need for some energy--do you know how many calories you burn with two 4 year olds running around! LOL!!

 
At July 30, 2012 at 4:30 AM , Blogger Carrie B said...

I love this sandwich idea. Sounds amazing. PB and Fluff is a staple here. We eat them... too often!

 
At July 30, 2012 at 6:27 AM , Anonymous Sue @ Cakeballs, cookies and more said...

oh man, if that would not kill hubby I would so make it all the time.

 
At July 30, 2012 at 6:30 AM , Blogger The Cooking Actress said...

Oh....mi....goodnessss

 
At July 30, 2012 at 6:32 AM , Blogger Hayley @ The Domestic Rebel said...

Um, amazing. Love me some fluffernutters and so does my dad! He drizzles honey on his, too, because sugar is AWESOME. Also, I loved Antonia on Top Chef and while I am not a mom, I'm kind of basically a mom to an entire family who refuses to eat or cook, therefore, I think I'm worthy of this cookbook. Yay!

 
At July 30, 2012 at 8:10 AM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

I have a feeling I will be now too!

 
At July 30, 2012 at 8:10 AM , Anonymous sally @ sallys baking addiction said...

So glad you tried a fluffernutter! Ha I never thought of them as dessert, I had pb + fluff sandwiches for lunch as a kiddo! Deep fried really takes it to a whole other level though! That's DEF a dessert :)

 
At July 30, 2012 at 8:11 AM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

Is he allergic? I bet just fluff would be perfect.

 
At July 30, 2012 at 8:11 AM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

LOL!

 
At July 30, 2012 at 8:12 AM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

I think it's going to be Jordan's new fav. :) Thanks Sally!

 
At July 30, 2012 at 8:50 AM , Blogger Erin said...

Hmmmm... that's quite the sandwich =o) I'm not sure if I could do the bananas but the rest and then fried? Sounds wonderful. Fried anything and I'm in. This cookbook sounds wonderful!

 
At July 30, 2012 at 8:52 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

LOl, I'm with Kristen, my sentiments exactly. I wouldn't eat deep fried butter, but yeah, this sandwich, minus the banana would be right up my alley! And I think the crushed rice crispies would be better than the Panko crumbs anyway, good choice!

 
At July 30, 2012 at 9:08 AM , Blogger Angela said...

I have never in my life even heard of a Fluffernutters!!! Why now when I'm trying to lose a few lbs!!! LOL. Looks super. I wonder if adding some Nutella would be worth the try for chocolate addicts like me??????

 
At July 30, 2012 at 9:59 AM , Blogger Mindy said...

I've never had one either. The whole ground up rice krispies was genius, by the way. Genius.
Oh, and FYI, we've got beets AND kale on this week's menu. Mmmmmmmm. :o)

 
At July 30, 2012 at 11:00 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

I've never tried it either but it sounds delicious! Bad for the hips but so good!

 
At July 30, 2012 at 11:24 AM , Blogger Dip It In Chocolate said...

Oh man I always used to try to convince my mom to make me fluffernutter's for lunch (read: unhealthiest option allowed). I could go for a few bites of a deep fried one! Great pics.

 
At July 30, 2012 at 1:04 PM , Blogger Michael said...

Mmmm, this sounds fantastic. I mean seriously, deep fried?

 
At July 30, 2012 at 1:13 PM , Blogger Jaime said...

Do you think since this has bananas I can pass it off as a breakfast sandwich?? The fruit makes it healthy right?? ;) THIS SOUNDS AMAZING!!!!!!

If you get a second, I'd love to have you come share this recipe (and any of your other amazing desserts) at my link party ~ Mom's Test Meal Mondays!

Oh - and you aren't missing anything with the beets! Have a great Monday!

 
At July 30, 2012 at 2:05 PM , Blogger Jocelyn said...

I am gasping at the though of you never having a fluffernutter!!! Those are my all time favorite sandwiches!! But deep fried? Seriously that makes up for you waiting until now to have one!!! This is AWESOME!!!!

 
At July 30, 2012 at 2:33 PM , Anonymous Kristi @ My San Francisco Kitchen said...

I love the name of this delicious treat!! Looks so yummy :) Hope you are doing well hun! <3

 
At July 30, 2012 at 6:35 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

Thanks Katie!

 
At July 30, 2012 at 6:36 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

Yes, true!! Thanks Tonia!

 
At July 30, 2012 at 6:36 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

Yes!!! My mouth is watering thinking of it. I must try that!

 
At July 30, 2012 at 6:38 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

Thanks Kristi!

 
At July 30, 2012 at 6:40 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

Yes, breakfast. TOTALLY. :) Thanks so much!

 
At July 30, 2012 at 7:39 PM , Blogger keatseatsblog said...

My daughter eats her fluffer nutters inside out. I'm assuming you can understand that method? It drives me insane! Anyway, I'm sure no matter HOW you eat this-- it's got to be incredible!!!! Pinning right this very second to the BHG food board!

 
At July 30, 2012 at 7:40 PM , Blogger keatseatsblog said...

PS- where did you find Pupcat?? Did picmonkey add it?!

 
At July 31, 2012 at 6:57 AM , Anonymous Christin said...

I've never tried a Fluffernutter and I'm not sure I should. Looks dangerously delicious!

 
At July 31, 2012 at 7:42 AM , Blogger Liz Snowden said...

Oh my! This looks dangerous! Thanks for sharing with us for Tasty Tuesday over at aletteredlife.blogspot.com!

 
At July 31, 2012 at 10:26 AM , Blogger Ally said...

OMG, I must make these. They look so delish! I wonder if I could bring the ingredients and make them while camping?

 
At July 31, 2012 at 1:48 PM , Blogger Angi said...

I do believe that I just died and went to heaven! My husband introduced me to the fluffernutter shortly after we got married. Now I will have to introduce him to this version

 
At July 31, 2012 at 3:48 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

just bought a deep fat fryer too... oh boy, gonna get in trouble with it!

 
At July 31, 2012 at 6:07 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

No, I can't believe you never had a fluffernutter sandwich! That flavor combo never fails to take me back to my childhood. And sweet jesus, you deep fried a fluffernutter sandwich?? I think you're my hero.

 
At July 31, 2012 at 6:46 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

Yes, yes you will! :)

 
At July 31, 2012 at 6:46 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

LOL, thank you! :)

 
At August 1, 2012 at 7:58 AM , Blogger MissCandiquik said...

This sounds really good right now...never had one either! Weird. This sounds like it would be worth the calories! :)

 
At August 2, 2012 at 3:34 PM , Blogger Nicole @WonkyW said...

I make these as a treat for my daughter (grilled not deep fried). I used the term fluffernutter sandwich awhile back & people looked at me like I was a crazy! They are Awesome! Visiting from Thriving on Thursday :)

 
At August 2, 2012 at 7:21 PM , Blogger Macaroni and Cheesecake said...

I bet these are heavenly! I'm a huge fluffernutter fan (sans banana though) and like Nicole above, I think I might try these grilled instead of fried but I love the idea of them being hot and crispy!

 
At August 2, 2012 at 8:00 PM , Blogger Jessi said...

Ummmm I think I may need a midnight snack! OMG sounds so wonderful!!

 
At August 3, 2012 at 7:41 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

Sounds good to me! Thanks Jessi!

 
At August 4, 2012 at 5:42 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

I just ate breakfast... but I really wish I made this instead! Looks divine!

 
At August 5, 2012 at 3:19 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

LOL! Thanks Shannon!

 

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment! Reading your comments is better than eating pie...and if you know me that's saying a lot. :)

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home