05 December 2011

Elf Munch & a Printable


On the Monday of Thanksgiving week I was enjoying my coffee and reading blogs when I came across this post from Cookies & Cups. I immediately wanted to do something similar but had no reason too.

Then I got a phone call from a friend who asked if I could take her place as Snack Mom for our Daisy troop meeting that day. She had been sick and just didn't have the energy to make a snack. Of course I said yes.

Now, a normal person would have just picked up some cookies while already braving the grocery store for Thanksgiving dinner supplies. But I'm not a normal person. I thought about buying a snack for about five minutes until I talked myself out of it and decided to make something.

Which is when I thought about that cute Thanksgiving snack mix that I had seen that morning.

But then the blogger in me took over.

Mini-blogger whispered in my ear, "But if you make a Thanksgiving snack mix you'll have to post it in the next two days. You can't do that. And you can't actually make something you're not going to post."

I agreed with myself, I had to make something I could post. So I decided to use that other mix as an inspiration for a Christmassy mix. The box of Chex was on sale so I decided to go the sweet Chex mix route.


This is a super simple recipe. I made it in less than 15 minutes and had it all bagged up and ready to go in under an hour. I used a mixture of white and semi-sweet chocolate and some M&Ms. But not just any M&Ms...MINT M&Ms. I saw them and snatched them up so fast. They are SO good!


You just coat half the cereal with semi-sweet chocolate and half with white. Crunch up some pretzels for and add some M&Ms and you're set. Stir this up and serve it in a bowl and you're set with an easy holiday treat.

Or you can make it all cute and bag it up in little bags with tags. I'll admit it, I like getting those "Oh, that's so cute, you made this didn't you??" comments. Those comments are like a drug. I get a rush and everything. (Come on, I'm not the only one, right? Isn't that part of why we do this whole blogging thing?)


















I used fold-top sandwich bags to hold my snack mix. I filled the bags with about 1/2 cup of mix each. Gather the top of the bags and fold them over and staple them to hold them shut. Then fold your label in half and attach them to the bags with double-sided tape.

I even made you a printable! Click here for the Elf Munch tags. (I just printed them on regular computer paper.)

The other Daisy scouts loved the mix...it disappeared quickly. And I managed to save a cup (or two) for myself to devour. And when one of the troop leaders gave me the "Aw...those are so cute!" I got a rush the likes of Lindsay Lohan.


Enjoy!

Elf Munch
by Crazy for Crust
Inspired by Cookies & Cups and the back of the Chex box

Ingredients (20 - 1/2 cup servings)
  • 6 cups rice Chex cereal
  • 1 cup white chocolate chips
  • 1 cup milk or semi-sweet chocolate chips
  • 1 cup mint M&Ms
  • 2 cups pretzels
Instructions
  1. Place 3 cups of rice Chex in two separate large bowls. Line two cookie sheets with wax paper.
  2. Melt white chocolate chips in a microwave safe bowl for one minute on HIGH. Stir and continue heating for 30 second intervals until melted. If you’re like me and can never get it to melt right, add a teaspoon or two of vegetable oil, stir, and continue melting. It should melt smooth. Immediately pour over one bowl of rice Chex and stir to coat. Spread on one of the wax-paper lined cookie sheets. Chill until hardened; about 5 minutes.
  3. Repeat step 2 with the milk or semi-sweet chocolate chips and the second bowl of rice Chex.
  4. While chocolate Chex is chilling, stir M&Ms and pretzels in a large bowl. Once chocolate and white chocolate covered Chex is hardened, break into pieces and add to the M&M pretzel mixture, then stir to combine.
  5. You can serve this in a big bowl or in individual bags. For individual bags: place ½ cup of mix into a fold-top sandwich bag. Fold closed and secure with a staple. Cut out the printable and fold in half. Secure to top of bag with double-sided tape.
Powered by Recipage





This recipe may be linked with:
MondayMingle Monday (Add a Pinch), Joy of DessertsTuesday2 Maids a Baking (2 Maids a Milking), Tea Party Tuesdays (Sweetology), Mushki Loves My Stuff (Mushki Loves), Totally Tasty Tuesdays (Mandy's Recipe Box), Talent Show Tuesday (Chef in Training). WednesdayCast Party WednesdayMade It On Monday (Lark's Country Heart), This Chick Cooks.  ThursdaySweet Treats Thursday (Something Swanky), Chic-and-Crafty (Frugal Girls), Turning the Table Thursdays (Around My Family Table), Tasty Thursday (The How-To Mommy), Tastetastic Thursday (A little nosh). FridaySweet Tooth Friday (Alli-n-son), I'm Lovin' it Fridays (TidyMom), Friday Favorites (Simply Sweet Home). SaturdaySweets for a Saturday (Sweet as Sugar Cookies), Seasonal Inspiration (Crumbs and Chaos). SundayA Well-Seasoned Life,Sharing Sundays (Everyday Sisters), Strut your Stuff Saturday (Six Sisters' Stuff)https://sites.google.com/site/crazyforcrust/elf-munch-printable

Labels: ,